Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Scirocco Griffon posted:

'13 only lets you recolor existing belts, I don't think '12 even had a create a championship feature or if it did I never bothered with it.

SvR 2007's create a championship is the only good one but since that was the era of "earn fake in-game bux to unlock or make anything in video games because 40 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY", it takes a ton of grinding to make the one you want. And it gets announced as "the custom championship" which is just dumb.

maybe it was previous iterations. gently caress they're all terrible games with unintended likable moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there going to be anything for the 2K WWE game at e3? I know they usually do their big reveal at Summerslam

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Is there going to be anything for the 2K WWE game at e3? I know they usually do their big reveal at Summerslam

They might chuck out their key feature, like what the Story mode will be like this year, with bigger details in August.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

coconono posted:

maybe it was previous iterations. gently caress they're all terrible games with unintended likable moments.

2009 was the only truly bad one I thought.
2006-2008 were solid, one was good but can't remember which.

12 and 13? buggy trash

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The core mechanics of the game seem to get sloppier and sloppier with each iteration. Namely the timing on reversals. Plus they took the core movemechanic and made it super complicated. The original selling point for the smackdown games was simpler more fluid gameplay.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Their tiny changes between games have left me utterly confused as to what I have control over. Despite all the "ultimate control" poo poo they've hyped for years, I'm more hopeless than ever at being able to maneuver and position tables where I want them. Leaning ladders is easy enough though, I have to give them that, but putting one beneath the hanging belt/briefcase is just as hard as it was a decade ago. Also, removing the ability to stand on top of the announce table made no sense whatsoever.

I'm hoping they just start from scratch soon for the next generation of consoles.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wonder if 2K will give WWE 2K15 a try on PC? They do their NBA series on there, and they did MLB up until 2K12.

It's doubtful, but wow I would love that. I am really not interested in next gen systems, but I will miss WWE games even though they are kinda lovely.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Minidust posted:

I've come to realize that importing CAWs to future games is the #1 feature I want. I can't believe the Smackdown line of games has gone this long without it. In WWE '12 I put a ridiculous amount of hours into designing characters, and the fact that I'd have to do it all over again is the main reason I didn't bother with '13 (and probably won't with '14). It's especially dumb when they insist on cranking these games out on a lovely 1-year cycle.

If the time you put into CAWs could carry over between games, I'd buy every one that came out. Sight unseen. It couldn't possibly be a hard feature to implement, could it?

the big problem is the slight changes to CAWs every year, particularly with the default models. if you try to make a CAW from, say, Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 in WWE '13 using the exact same slider numbers, it'll look completely different.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I wonder if 2K will give WWE 2K15 a try on PC? They do their NBA series on there, and they did MLB up until 2K12.

It's doubtful, but wow I would love that. I am really not interested in next gen systems, but I will miss WWE games even though they are kinda lovely.

I dunno, I have a feeling they'd be more likely to expand the game to IOS/Android rather than going the PC route.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got all excited when WWE was talking about a wrestling MMO. Turns out it was just a SvR 2006 port to PC for Korea.

A wrestling MMO would be kinda fun tho. Basically a bunch of e-feds but with actual grapply fighting. And maybe some dudes could commentate and matches get streams to twitch.tv.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

coconono posted:

A wrestling MMO would be kinda fun tho. Basically a bunch of e-feds but with actual grapply fighting. And maybe some dudes could commentate and matches get streams to twitch.tv.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Apparently the XBONE has an onboard game recording suite and will be able to stream to twitch directly too, so it wouldn't be too difficult.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

unconfirmed but it's looking like universe mode isn't returning for 2k14.

burn everything

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

John Cena posted:

unconfirmed but it's looking like universe mode isn't returning for 2k14.

burn everything

Looks like I'll have sixty extra dollars around the end of this year.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Looks like I'll have sixty extra dollars around the end of this year.

Like he said, unconfirmed. If they take Universe mode out to put in a Season mode, I'll be fine with it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

Like he said, unconfirmed. If they take Universe mode out to put in a Season mode, I'll be fine with it.

i def wouldn't.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Taking out Universe mode would be ridiculous. If anything, at the very very least, just leave in the Universe mode we have now and don't fix anything. I'll take that over no Universe mode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Cena posted:

i def wouldn't.

Yeah, I get bored playing as one character through a season mode. I love being able to play as anyone, at any time.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
They'll take it out so they can add it in next year and tout it as a new feature.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you look weird with an avatar.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Without some sort of Universe or GM mode equivalent a WWE game in 2013 is pretty worthless imo

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

John Cena posted:

you look weird with an avatar.

I know. I wish the background stayed transparent. Not sure why they have to add a white background.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Scirocco Griffon posted:

'13 only lets you recolor existing belts, I don't think '12 even had a create a championship feature or if it did I never bothered with it.

SvR 2007's create a championship is the only good one but since that was the era of "earn fake in-game bux to unlock or make anything in video games because 40 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY", it takes a ton of grinding to make the one you want. And it gets announced as "the custom championship" which is just dumb.

SvR07's would also lock up your game if used

RudoReels posted:

2009 was the only truly bad one I thought.
2006-2008 were solid, one was good but can't remember which.

12 and 13? buggy trash

07 and 08 are pretty much the nadir of the series. Unplayable garbage.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Wario Kart 64 posted:

a WWE game in 2013 is pretty worthless imo

I concur

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

oatgan posted:

I concur

SVR 2006 with updated graphics and a huge roster would consume my life, man. I loved that game.

Maybe incorporate the storyline aspect of GM Mode from SVR 2007 but do it better.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I always liked SVR07 the best, if only for my absurd stable of failed CM Punk CAWs that wound up being turned into Kawaii Jeff Hardys and Jason Vorheeses.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Without some sort of Universe or GM mode equivalent a WWE game in 2013 is pretty worthless imo

To be honest I stopped caring about Universe mode when I realized that the game sucks at booking and I was just editing every match anyway, which means I was spending twice as much time in the menus as I was playing and that most of the storylines never happen. If the game actually recognized that I was using certain characters more often and started setting them up for storylines it'd be different. but instead it runs off its own pointless ranking system that isn't affected by user-edited matches, so it just keeps trying to do the exact same thing every show. I just feel like this game isn't really suited for any kind of booking simulation attempts because there's no rhyme or reason to any of the decisions it makes, so I end up usually reversing everything it does anyway.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The universe mode would work better if it actually stopped trying to do so many things automatically and let you select them. I appreciate that the game tries to keep things interesting for you and occasionally presents you with things you wouldn't have thought of, but most of the time I just want to be able to tell the game "MAKE THIS PERSON FEUD WITH THAT PERSON", not just set them as rivals and hope they get booked against one another.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah, and the management stuff in general could be a lot more streamlined. Perfect example: You can set guys to not compete for a show's minor title and only go for the major one, which is a good idea... but to do so you have to go into Edit Superstar, pick a guy, find the option buried under a couple other menus and then manually turn it off. And then do it again for however many others you want to switch it off for. If the option were under Edit Titles and was a big list where you could quickly set them as "Major Title Only" or "Compete For All Titles" it would be very useful, but instead it's implemented in a way that most people will only find it by accident and probably not bother with it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I just wish it would be consistent and actually abide by its own rules. To this day I will set a team up and Universe will INSIST on booking them against each other even if I've turned off 'team breakup' storylines.

On the other hand, the issue I had with my game always freezing when I used a custom arena in Universe seems to have stopped. I suspect I had a weird combination of CAWS or other save data on my HD which caused it, but I'm no Johnny Programming.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Nut Bunnies posted:

SvR07's would also lock up your game if used

07 and 08 are pretty much the nadir of the series. Unplayable garbage.

07 while poo poo is playable.

08 was utter garbage.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I actually really liked the controls and set-up of 2006, the last one before they moved to the 360/PS3 generation. Also, I know we've all seen the TNA/WWE comparison image, but I feel like even the textures and models in the PS2 titles look better than the models in WWE 13.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that probably just has to do with the lower resolution. if they were to make an HD rerelease of a PS2-era Smackdown game you would really see how low-res and low-poly a lot of the models are. not saying that the recent Yuke's models are any good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Miz is at E3 according to his Twitter and they're doing something for WWE2k14 there. Which makes it all the most curious why nothing about it has shown up.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Posting this here just to stir up the boring news-drought

quote:

Well, this may be exciting new info or total bullshit, but this was on the 2K forum originally posted on the WWE Gaming website before being taken down. Seems how it'd dead boring on here lately and we're all craving some info, I thought why not share it anyway. Again, might be completely false, but it's something to get the hype train-a-rollin' aye?

'Oh you didn't know? It's that time again- time for the WWE to return with another installment of their yearly franchise and this time folks, they're returning with a "bang".

No longer on the herald of the late THQ, WWE has teamed up with TakeTwo subdivision 2KSports to bring you this years installment of the popular wrestling simulation.. and boy are they finally on the right track. Think of it as an official rebirth... Or second coming... Or re-debut... Or actual debut... Or- you get our drift.

Done away this year are the recycled cartoonish graphics and sound that were prominent in WWE games in the past few years. 2K have completely revamped and shifted all of the focus on presentation and quality to appeal to mass gamers and to replicate the actual feel of the WWE. "Time restraints and budgeting issues were the main reason that all of the games never felt completely new, even though, marketing wise, we pushed the complete opposite. So far, 2K have been extremely innovative and have pitched ideas that were never thought of." said Cory Ledesma, former senior editor for the WWE franchise who was hired by TakeTwo Interactive to help out with this years games.

As we were able to preview a bit of the game, the changes were noticeable instantly. We were given a five minute time limit for our match which pitted John Cena against the attitude era poster boy, Stone Cold Steve Austin. As we went through our selection process, done away was the Mortal Kombat fighter style selection screen in favor of the return of a more traditional selection screen. In alphabetical orders and rows, players are now able to not only see the stats and finishers of who they're selecting, but are now able to read mini biographies and hype videos for said wrestlers, reminiscent to the old WCW Nitro games of the 90's.

For John Cena, if you highlight his character, a mini backdrop video begins to show his accomplishments, showing his crowd celebration from a couple of years back winning his first WWE title at WrestleMania 21. For Austin, we were greeted to his infamous beer spraying shtick from his feud with McMahon. The videos are shown by default which can be a bit of a nuisance after a while.

As soon as we loaded into our match, we were greeted by announcers Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler who ran down the stats and accomplishments of both competitors. Rowdy fans perpetrated the backgrounds flashing signs, and throwing up hand gestures as our announcers spoke, similar to what you see on television. The run downs are short and sweet and can be skipped if the player chooses to do so.

Done away are the loading screens before entrances. As soon as the run downs were completed we were greeted by Austin's glass shatter which drew an enormous reaction from the crowd. "Here we go!" says an enthusiastic Michael Cole. 2K has really hit the nail on the head with reactions and sounds coming from the crowd and commentating has taken a huge step forward and we've yet to start any action.

As Austin perpetrated from behind the curtains his signature neck jerks were prominent as he marched down the isle, stopping a few times to gaze at the enormous crowd. Faint mumblings can be heard from Austin has he stomps towards the ring. Once again, commentators begin to boost up the match and plug the reaction of the crowd.

As Austin throws his vest to the outside and prominently stretches for the match, John Cena makes his way to the ring as Austin gazes the entrance way from a turnbuckle. With no load time in between, Cena comes out with a burst of speed and enthusiasm before stopping at the entrance stage to say a few words of motivation to the camera as he salutes. As Cena makes his way into the ring he faintly gazes at Austin before throwing his shirt into the crowd. The player is given the option to do a premature start during all of this by tapping R1. For example, if we chose too, we could have had Austin rush John Cena during his entrance but were too awe struck at the presentation. This is the authentication that 2K sports wanted.

As the bell rang, the match started with a test of strengths which seems to be the return of mini games before matches. Match the correct buttons and you have the advantage for the start. The controls were similar to the old games but moves are now much more fluid and better captured. As John Cena received a plethora of chest chops, he gripped his chest in agony while holding onto the third rope attempting to shield himself from Austin while the referee sandwiched himself between both competitors. During this process, a bar appears that let's Cena avoid any more combat from Austin if he fills it up in time. If not, Austin can continue his attack. "It's a way for us to combat spamming online and offline, and it gives the match more fluidity and pacing" said Bryan Williams, who was also hired by TakeTwo.

Stamina plays an important role in matches now and to refill them means you have to put your opponent in rest holds or go to a "hot spot" to do so. "Hot spots are various areas inside and outside the ring which allows player to refill their stamina- for example, if you perform a huge move on your opponent that causes you to collapse, then would be a good time to regain a boost of energy by going to the turn buckle and pressing R1 which shows your wrestler leaning and catching his breath. If you don't want the hassle of drifting away from your opponents, then rest holds will do. A mat headlock will replenish your stamina" says Ledesma.

Stamina depletion is much more noticeable near the pinnacle of matches, so you won't be needing to do to many rest holds at the start. As our time limit grew to a close we weren't able to fully explore the new innovative ways that matches play out. As we were bummed out about wrappings things up, Williams boasted to us "There is a lot more where that came from and that was not even, say, 20 percent of what we have in store for you guys." In that case, we were very pleased to see the much needed changes and upgrades that 2K sports have implemented. WWE2K14 is set to be released in October of this year, and for a short time span, they've accomplished a lot.'

it came from IGN....

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If they really get around the load screens, that would be awesome.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I find it hard to believe 2k is going to change it that drastically in less than a year.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Its pretty much confirmed bullshit, but it's nice to have a bit of whimsical banter. You gotta think this is the dawning of a new era of WWE games, probably an incremental year, but at least it will be a non-THQ WWE game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

If they really get around the load screens, that would be awesome.

Given it's likely the same engine, the only way I'm thinking that happens is either not allowing skipping entrances midway, or they were playing a Bone or PS4 build.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

simosimo posted:

Its pretty much confirmed bullshit, but it's nice to have a bit of whimsical banter. You gotta think this is the dawning of a new era of WWE games, probably an incremental year, but at least it will be a non-THQ WWE game.

So somebody made a WWE 14 beta fanfic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Jubs posted:

So somebody made a WWE 14 beta fanfic?

Either that or they wanted to see if they could force another bogus story to get passed off as true by the Gaming MediaTM, by which I mean Kotaku and other blogger hacks that don't do actual research.

I also did a bit of reading and found out that THQ not only hadn't paid the WWE the huge royalty fees owed for the games, but they also stiffed Yuke's (the developers) out of about $8 million as well. Maybe that's why the last three games have been so :effort:.

• Locked thread