Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Excuse the self-quote.

This works about 90% of the time I'd say because you start with a lot more troops than him. He never resisted my demand to switch to Elective for example and even if he doesn't fold to your "Character for Kingdom" demand, you can easily beat him.
I didn't get the Sunni event until well into the game either, so the Muslims weren't fighting each other much.

If the Abbasid shah tries to start poo poo, your best bet is to hold him off in the mountains. I got lucky and was able to select the mountain fighting bonus on my king so it was easy to beat them down to size.

Does this work if you start off as the Marzpanate of Gilan? I've been banging my head against this ever since TOG came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
How can I mod the Norse religion to force convert prisoners? I cant find the file with diplomatic interactions.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I doubt it since Gilan is too small. You can test it though, those event troops count for a lot right at the beginning of the game. If your overlord gets into a fight with the steppe people to the north early, you might be able to snag the kingdom title.

On a different note:

Who' the best heir? You're the best heir. :smug:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I doubt it since Gilan is too small. You can test it though, those event troops count for a lot right at the beginning of the game. If your overlord gets into a fight with the steppe people to the north early, you might be able to snag the kingdom title.

On a different note:

Who' the best heir? You're the best heir. :smug:

Now watch him die.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Download

Vanilla colors for CK2+ with a few adjustments. Updated for CK2+ 2.00.1. Just put these in your mod/CK2Plus/common/landed_titles folder. Make backups in case you think you might want to go back.

Fister Roboto posted:

Any tips on surviving as one of the Zoroastrian satraps? Or is that even poissible? I always get steamrolled by Persia.

Haven't tried Gilan but as Karen you should wait until Turkestan is fighting against the Tengri hordes to the north (which doesn't take long) and once all their troops go into the steppes move in and seize Turkestan for yourself. You'll double your land and make yourself less of an easy target for the other big regional players. Wait a few years for the levies from your new territory and start amassing money for mercenaries. Wait for an opportunity to take a piece off your neighbors to the east or south.

If the Saffarids are ever busy fighting the caliph or anyone else strong then you can either try to take Khorasan from them or since they're busy you can fight your neighbor to the east since the Saffarids will be too busy to intervene. I went east first since they're the weaker target and took over all of Khiva. Once you have all of central Asia and enough money to maintain a few mercenary companys you should be able to start taking over Persia. If you start with the eastern half the caliph will be less likely to join in against you and by the time you reach his borders you should be strong enough to at least hold your ground depending on how big he's gotten.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Nightblade posted:

I think regents, guardians, spymasters and maybe cupholders get a sizeable increase to their plot power.

Could he have been several of those at once? It's possible?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Antti posted:

Could he have been several of those at once? It's possible?

very possibly or he could just have had a high intrigue

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The dashes LIE!

Why won't you marry her grandson? She has good stats, is attractive and she has a weak claim on our neighbor.

YOUR BROTHER MARRIED THE DAUGHTER OF A COUNT!

Man I hope I die soon so I can force him.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rejected Fate posted:

The dashes LIE!

Why won't you marry her grandson? She has good stats, is attractive and she has a weak claim on our neighbor.

YOUR BROTHER MARRIED THE DAUGHTER OF A COUNT!

Man I hope I die soon so I can force him.
Yeah, 'desires a better alliance' is an absolute dealkiller, no matter what the dashes say.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've always felt like Anti-Pope was a poo poo mechanic that was half finished. When one is created it should send out a notification to all Catholic Rulers and ask for support for either the reigning Pope or the Anti-Pope. Something like that would simulate the East-West schism and when war is declared on Rome it would be a big loving deal. If the Anti-Pope side loses the ruler who created it gets Excommunicated and every ruler who support the Pope gets a claim on their title?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Do you have to not make kingdom titles for de-jure drift into empires to happen? I have all of De jure Jerusalem, Syria and Africa and they won't drift into my empire.

Edit: ALso for some reason my Mongol Hordes will not invade other nations and keep fighting each other.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 13, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

YouTuber posted:

I've always felt like Anti-Pope was a poo poo mechanic that was half finished.
This describes all of the theocratic/papacy-related mechanics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
loving stable-rear end impossible-to-subvert theocracies. It seriously took me like a century of actively trying to topple the Theocracy of England, which (by the way) easily swatted aside the Norman invasion when the game started.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've started turning my Norse conquest provinces into Churches. They don't try and steal your crown, make good vassals, and you get giant piles of piety for having them. I can't seem to make them Kings however, so I just end up with hordes of Duke-Priests instead of a handful of King-Priests.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

SeaTard posted:

I've started turning my Norse conquest provinces into Churches. They don't try and steal your crown, make good vassals, and you get giant piles of piety for having them. I can't seem to make them Kings however, so I just end up with hordes of Duke-Priests instead of a handful of King-Priests.

Don't you get the giant "-30 Wrong Government Type" malus if you're a feudal lord over a theocratic province/duchy?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Quick fix to Sonendar-- see if this has fixed the blank portrait problem.

Sonendar 1.04.1

It has!

Actually I'd like to try helping out with making events for Sonendar, but I don't have PMs. Is there another way I could get in touch?

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 13, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Daeren posted:

Don't you get the giant "-30 Wrong Government Type" malus if you're a feudal lord over a theocratic province/duchy?

Only cities, not churches.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Has anyone played a single game from the Old Gods start where Catholicism has survived in any functional capacity? Every time, the Ummayads overrun France and blob, the Abbassids usually do the same to the middle east and take over most of Anatolia and the the Magyars tend to form the empire of Carpathia and own the whole north east down to Germany. Honestly, the only place I see regularly stay Catholic is the British Isles and (if the Byzantines get trounced by the Abbasids before they overrun it) Italy. I like the setting, I just wish it was more balanced - without player interference it just ends up as three giant blobs (Ummayad, Abbassid, Carpathia) with only Britain, Scandinvia and maybe Italy escaping. It's just kind of dull when that happens, and for some reason none of the huge empires ever seems to want to fracture via civil war. The Abbasids were sitting at 100% decadence for half a century with no effect, and by the time anything did come of it they could raise something like 150k levies easily so it was never any real problem.

On that note, I'm beginning to think retinues need some rebalancing. When kings/emperors get uber-powerful they are the only ones who can acquire/afford large contingents in their respective realms so it makes anything but the most serious, universal revolt trivial to put down.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

It has!

Actually I'd like to try helping out with making events for Sonendar, but I don't have PMs. Is there another way I could get in touch?

Um, sure! Just email me at drsunshinesa At Gmail.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

CapnAndy posted:

loving stable-rear end impossible-to-subvert theocracies. It seriously took me like a century of actively trying to topple the Theocracy of England, which (by the way) easily swatted aside the Norman invasion when the game started.

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing. On my first 50 year practice game in trying out the new ToG mechanics I accidentally created an independent pagan theocracy/pagan papacy. They ended up expanding faster than I did and I was using the Conquest CB/Ambition combo :stare:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've come to the conclusion that gavelkind can work smoothly and keep your demesne intact, as long as you (as a king) can conquer a duchy for each of your sons. This is possible for me as Norse Russia in vanilla, since you are surrounded by many weaker neighbours, but I can see it being a real pain in CK2+ without unlimited conquering CBs. Also a real pain for my firstborn son when he inherits and has to deal with his powerful brothers.

I still don't have any boats though, despite conquering Estonia, so I don't really have anything to do apart from conquering my weak neighbours. Plus one of my vassals rebelled and an event gave them a 4K army. The vassal died of illness before the first battle, and I was his heir, so I inherited his special event doomstack! I'm pretty sure that isn't how rebellions are supposed to work but what the hell, made forming the kingdom of Rus easier.

Now I'm just wondering what I can do to encourage the scandinavian Vikings to reform the faith. They are even more fragmented than they were at the start date. I'm going to have to conquer them myself aren't I?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

A weird thing happened in a pre-patch game of mine: I was playing as a Norse double duke, owning 53% of Scotland, saving up money to create the kingdom, when all of a sudden the "Can create title" notification changed into the "Can usurp title" one. And sure enough, there was now some Christian gently caress parading a crown around to my south-west. What happened there? Surely he could only have owned at most 47% of Scotland? Did a watery tart throw a sword at him? (I am going to kill myself for making this reference.)

Actually, looking at the autosaves now, it seems to have gone straight from Suðreyjar to Scotland, which is even weirder.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HenessyHero posted:

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing. On my first 50 year practice game in trying out the new ToG mechanics I accidentally created an independent pagan theocracy/pagan papacy. They ended up expanding faster than I did and I was using the Conquest CB/Ambition combo :stare:
Yeah, it's a thing. They really were amazingly stable, I didn't start to see any duchy fracturing until I already owned nearly half the country. The benefits of just getting to elect a new guy every time the old one dies, I guess.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Gorelab posted:

Do you have to not make kingdom titles for de-jure drift into empires to happen? I have all of De jure Jerusalem, Syria and Africa and they won't drift into my empire.
Yeah. Kingdom drift has been bugged for ages and they still won't fix it, despite repeated reports. :argh: They'll never drift into empires if the king title actually exists.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, it's a thing. They really were amazingly stable, I didn't start to see any duchy fracturing until I already owned nearly half the country. The benefits of just getting to elect a new guy every time the old one dies, I guess.
Also, I'm pretty sure most factions are not eligible to form under a theocracy.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 13, 2013

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I have seen kingdoms drift into an empire, you just have to have every last piece of them, without even missing a single barony. Also, as far as I can tell, no part of them can be held by a vassal who also has territory outside the de jure boundaries of the kingdom. With the amount of conquering my vassals do in my Scandinavian game, that means the only kingdom I've successfully absorbed is Wales, although it's worth noting that the title was unformed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Ugh. And here I thought that holding off on getting the new DLCs for this long would mean I could choose from any number of mods like I could in 1.09x.

Looks like it's vanilla for me! :smithicide:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Daktar posted:

I have seen kingdoms drift into an empire, you just have to have every last piece of them, without even missing a single barony. Also, as far as I can tell, no part of them can be held by a vassal who also has territory outside the de jure boundaries of the kingdom. With the amount of conquering my vassals do in my Scandinavian game, that means the only kingdom I've successfully absorbed is Wales, although it's worth noting that the title was unformed.
All I know is, I only ever see kingdoms assimilate into new empires when the title is unformed. If I create and hold the title myself, it doesn't drift - likewise if a vassal holds it. If a formed kingdom might possibly drift if some arcane requirements are fulfilled, that's not really much better than won't drift at all, because obviously if a kingdom is fully controlled by an empire it should be drifting.

Strudel Man posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure most factions are not eligible to form under a theocracy.
Looked this up, and yeah - the only faction that doesn't require the liege to be feudal is an independence revolt. So theocracies never have to face pretender revolts or demands to lower crown authority.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 13, 2013

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

^Agreed. It might even be nice if it starts drifting when you hold a certain majority (say 80%?) so that you can mop up those last few vassals via diplomacy rather than war. Granted by the time the 100 years is up they'll probably have been conquered anyway, but you never know.

Does anyone know whether putting a leader with miltary skills in charge of an army's flank gives the whole army their bonuses? I want to lead my own troops as a true Norse Fylkir should, but I also want those tasty Organiser speed bonuses. Also, is there a Great Holy War equivalent of the crusader trait? Being a viking, a beserker and a holy warrior would be pretty sweet.

e:

I love the beserker trait. *guttural howl*

Daktar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 13, 2013

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

A question: the readme says you're having problems with the pirates not being able to river travel or raid, but I'm not seeing anything wrong. What exactly is the issue you are/were having? Or did you fix it already?

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
I am really starting to hate the event that gives my rebel vassals armies to rival my entire kingdom. That goddamn event must have happened four or five times in the same drat rebellion. So much money wasted on mercs.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Does anyone know a mod that's more of a middle ground between CK2+ and vanilla? I loved my first game of CK2+ because it required a lot more finesse and care, and the map never got mauled by everyone's simultaneous rampages. That said, I want to feel like a viking when I play as one, and be able to conquer quite a bit, albeit to a lesser extent than vanilla. :negative:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Daktar posted:

Also, is there a Great Holy War equivalent of the crusader trait? Being a viking, a beserker and a holy warrior would be pretty sweet.
There is not. But it would probably be appropriate for Norse Great Holy Wars to give Viking in the same circumstances where Crusades would give Crusader.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Dirty_Moses posted:

Does anyone know a mod that's more of a middle ground between CK2+ and vanilla? I loved my first game of CK2+ because it required a lot more finesse and care, and the map never got mauled by everyone's simultaneous rampages. That said, I want to feel like a viking when I play as one, and be able to conquer quite a bit, albeit to a lesser extent than vanilla. :negative:

Yeah, I'd love to just have the faction system from CK2+, all the Empire Titles, and maybe a few other odds and ends like planning events and repaying loans.

e: There's a ton of waiting around doing nothing in vanilla, and I feel that CK2+ just increases that by a lot. And at the end of the day, waiting around when you're playing a game isn't very fun.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Saith posted:

Yeah, I'd love to just have the faction system from CK2+, all the Empire Titles, and maybe a few other odds and ends like planning events and repaying loans.

e: There's a ton of waiting around doing nothing in vanilla, and I feel that CK2+ just increases that by a lot. And at the end of the day, waiting around when you're playing a game isn't very fun.

Loans and sensible factions are really the only two things I actively miss about CK2+ when I play vanilla. I understand playing with a lot more stakes and having to balance a realm's power more carefully, and before TOG I played with it on more often than not, but sometimes I just want to be the Fylkir of the coastal republic of Britannia and slap around the Pope and the Karlings for lunch money.

And as for the waiting around with a thumb up your rear end, that's why I love raiding so much, despite how untuned it is. It gives you something to do when otherwise you're waiting on 5x speed for a year or two at a time waiting for an interesting event to happen.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

All of the above also applies to me, really.

Cept I also like CK2+'s prettier maps. Rate of expansion seems more historic.

That said... big invasions did happen every now and then.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I started playing this last week and I can't get enough. Haha this game:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone wants to play a multiplayer game, come into the ck2 channel in camping the stairs. We planing on starting a game up. We'll play with all the expansion too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes I really miss the factions and civil wars systems from CK2+, as well as the ambitions and plots. Plotting to frame a vassal for treason is the most useful thing. I was without internet for a few days, so I only got one day of playing CK2+ with Old Gods before the new patch hit and broke it again. :smith:

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

There is not. But it would probably be appropriate for Norse Great Holy Wars to give Viking in the same circumstances where Crusades would give Crusader.

I don't know about that. Viking just suggests your average raider. I think a holy warrior needs some a bit more mythic. Einherjar maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

GrabbinPeels posted:

A question: the readme says you're having problems with the pirates not being able to river travel or raid, but I'm not seeing anything wrong. What exactly is the issue you are/were having? Or did you fix it already?

It didn't work the last time I tried it, but maybe something I since changed made it such that it works better. Also I may be rather less than punctual in updating the readme. :shobon:

EDIT: Oh I think I know! Earlier versions had the tech level really high for some reason, and I think raiding/river movement is disallowed after a certain tech level, like 4 or something.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 13, 2013

• Locked thread