Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Are there any heresies for pagans, both reformed and unreformed - Other than "Old" when reformed, which can be easily dealt with? It seems like religious authority is meaningless once reformed, and completely meaningless if you don't want to reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I married my daughter to the king of Norway, regular marriage. Now the Norse king is in prison somewhere and she's acting as his regent. There's no way I can convince her to give me the kingdom or something like that right?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Noreaus posted:

Are there any heresies for pagans, both reformed and unreformed - Other than "Old" when reformed, which can be easily dealt with? It seems like religious authority is meaningless once reformed, and completely meaningless if you don't want to reform.

Only Zoroastrians had some other heresy. Authority is still important because it affects conversion rate

beedeebee posted:

I married my daughter to the king of Norway, regular marriage. Now the Norse king is in prison somewhere and she's acting as his regent. There's no way I can convince her to give me the kingdom or something like that right?

No, in matrilineal marriage you could stab your way to throne, but not in regular marriage.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Noreaus posted:

No there are no heresies other than "Old [Religion]" for pagans, but doesn't a high MA help with converting heathens as well?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Demiurge4 posted:

Dang, the game auto patched and now I can't play my mods :smith:

I believe the game runs fine without Steam, so when you have a modded installation you like you can back it up to Games/ck2mods or something and run it from there. That copy won't get auto patched.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Torrannor posted:

No, you could get tanistry as an Irish ruler or ultimogeniture as a Mongol.
Is that right? Suddenly I have the urge to play an Irishman.

Tanistry: It's like elective, only there's no downside.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Winter Stormer posted:

Is that right? Suddenly I have the urge to play an Irishman.

Tanistry: It's like elective, only there's no downside.

Well, your relatives will tend to vote for random wacky old folks in your dynasty instead of your genius son or daughter. That's kind of a downside!

For all the people who are getting blank portraits in Sonendar-- could you try opening the Sonendar.mod file with notepad and deleting the line "Replace_path = gfx"? I'm wondering if that's the issue here.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can someone tell me how culture flipping works? I'm the Norse King of Ireland, but I recently conquered Brittany. Does it matter if I give my Breton holdings away? I want to become Norman so I can form Britannia.

VonWigg
Sep 10, 2005

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Can someone tell me how culture flipping works? I'm the Norse King of Ireland, but I recently conquered Brittany. Does it matter if I give my Breton holdings away? I want to become Norman so I can form Britannia.

Didn't the last patch change it so north-germanic people can form the empire of britannia?

Edit: Yes, yes they did.

quote:

- North Germanic cultures can now also form the Empire of Britannia

Editedit:
vvv To expand a bit, flipping from norse to norman is an in-game event, when it triggers you have the option to start converting in your intrigue screen. This requires you to have holdings in the traditional norman areas, I think. I've never gone norman myself. vvv

VonWigg fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VonWigg posted:

Didn't the last patch change it so north-germanic people can form the empire of britannia?

Really? You mean I pissed off the Karlings and invaded Brittany for nothing?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Knuc If U Buck posted:

No pissing off Karlings is a noble goal in and of its self.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Now you know how I felt when I invaded the Golden Horde solely to grab their empire-level title, only for a patch to come out that day that added an empire Ethiopians were allowed to form :v:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Paradox games teach me gooder geography :downs:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

What on earth is going on in France? And are you king of Oxford?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Noreaus posted:

That is your problem with that image? Not Azerbaijan in Denmark?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Sebastian Vettel posted:

That is your problem with that image? Not Azerbaijan in Denmark?

Well, Azerbaijan won the ESC two years ago and this time the winner was Denmark, so...

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Rurik posted:

Well, Azerbaijan won the ESC two years ago and this time the winner was Denmark, so...
And with the way voting was going, I was worried it'd be back to Baku. What did everyone see in that song? :psyduck:

Trujillo posted:

Paradox games teach me gooder geography :downs:

That's always the best part! You get to play an impromptu round of "But how did you end up here?!" that's often more challenging than the Paradox game itself.

(If you'd never seen CK1, you've seen it now.) Damned if I know how this happened, but it's probably better vacationing in the south of Spain than it is living in Finland.

Another geographer's headache caught in the making. Thank God lieges don't jump in on the vassal's side in offensive wars anymore, that poo poo was so annoying. Note: screenshots are unrelated, Vodi notwithstanding.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

God drat the first game looks so dated now :stare:

Man I still want a Victoria based Alpha Centauri game. And now I have to fire up SMAC again.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Winter Stormer posted:

(If you'd never seen CK1, you've seen it now.) Damned if I know how this happened, but it's probably better vacationing in the south of Spain than it is living in Finland.

:eng101: The southern coast of Spain and the Spanish islands are very popular holiday and retirement destination for Finns, has been for decades. It's perfectly historical and realistic!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Awwwwww... good old CK1. :3:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What kind of fiddling do I need to do in the music txt file to play all dlc music for all characters?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So what exactly are Antipopes and how do I create/back one? I'm thinking that maybe Emperor Conall, who's had a charmed life, chafes at the idea of bowing to anyone.

Also I want to Holy War some neighboring kingdoms, that'd be fun.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I do miss picking the buildings show up in the little province window. I don't miss the sounds that game made every 5 seconds.

Noreaus posted:

Lotharingia inherited West Francia. The purples probably what's throwing you off. I changed the colors up in CK2+. I'd link it but I'm not sure if it works with the new version yet.

And if you're sick of all the regular titles you can be the king/emperor of any duchy with the title generator:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?608632-Mod-Generator-Kingdoms-%28and-Empires%29-Abound-Titular-Title-Generator

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So what exactly are Antipopes and how do I create/back one? I'm thinking that maybe Emperor Conall, who's had a charmed life, chafes at the idea of bowing to anyone.

Also I want to Holy War some neighboring kingdoms, that'd be fun.

You have to have Free Investiture, so go into realm laws and under Investiture, click "Free".

Once that's done, find a vassal bishop who likes you more than the Pope. If you have enough Piety saved up, the little blue Pope Hat button turns colored, and you can click it to transform him into an AntiPope.

I always make antipopes. It's a useful tool for getting rid of troublesome elements in the kingdom, because I can simply excommunicate them and imprison them. I've always preferred using the "legal" system as opposed to plots to kill them.

Quick fix to Sonendar-- see if this has fixed the blank portrait problem.

Sonendar 1.04.1

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 13, 2013

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Captain Beans posted:

What kind of fiddling do I need to do in the music txt file to play all dlc music for all characters?

I know people were discussing music a few pages ago, but I missed all that and I have to ask: Is there a mod that allows you to set up your own custom music folder? I remember civilization IV was able to do that, even though the new one doesn't.

Anyway, I think that really the only appropriate music to play while raiding christian Europe is… Well…

http://youtu.be/r4Zj7Mxq5iU

Anyway, as I have several MP3s about getting money, it would be nice to listen to them all without having it overpower the other in game sounds.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

You have to have Free Investiture, so go into realm laws and under Investiture, click "Free".

Once that's done, find a vassal bishop who likes you more than the Pope. If you have enough Piety saved up, the little blue Pope Hat button turns colored, and you can click it to transform him into an AntiPope.

I always make antipopes. It's a useful tool for getting rid of troublesome elements in the kingdom, because I can simply excommunicate them and imprison them. I've always preferred using the "legal" system as opposed to plots to kill them.

I've never used anti popes myself before, can you install them in Rome with a short war? It'd be pretty great if I could make the pope a vassal.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I've never used anti popes myself before, can you install them in Rome with a short war? It'd be pretty great if I could make the pope a vassal.

Yeah, I had a character possessed by satan who made an anti pope and installed him in Rome. I think it even lets you pick the pope's successor from then on but not 100% sure, it was a while ago.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

uh zip zoom posted:

I know people were discussing music a few pages ago, but I missed all that and I have to ask: Is there a mod that allows you to set up your own custom music folder? I remember civilization IV was able to do that, even though the new one doesn't.

Anyway, I think that really the only appropriate music to play while raiding christian Europe is… Well…

http://youtu.be/r4Zj7Mxq5iU

Anyway, as I have several MP3s about getting money, it would be nice to listen to them all without having it overpower the other in game sounds.

Yea you just need to have your music in ogg format and add it into the music.txt. Google around for custom soundtracks for crusader kings 2 and you should get some more precise instructions.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Captain Beans posted:

Yea you just need to have your music in ogg format and add it into the music.txt. Google around for custom soundtracks for crusader kings 2 and you should get some more precise instructions.

Rad, thank you very much. Should be no trouble reformatting MP3s into oggs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrSunshine posted:

Do you still count as Catholic if you do that? Like, who are the heretics in that case, you or the rest of Christendom?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Do you still count as Catholic if you do that? Like, who are the heretics in that case, you or the rest of Christendom?

Yes, you're still Catholic, but Catholicism will lose moral authority by a small amount each month. Over a couple hundred years, it will be quite low, and heresies will spring up like mushrooms. You will only become a heretic if you get an event or have an heir who converts to one of the Catholic heresies: Lollardism, Catharism, Fratricellism, or Waldensianism.

Also, it's worth mentioning that none of the heresies have a Pope, or investiture. If you become a heretic you will lose the ability to control your bishops' succession, and you won't be able to use your Antipope to excommunicate people.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 13, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So I'm trying to edit the terrain/river/topology/province files, and I get this in game:

They're all equal to eachother, so I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. I just want to add in the correct Limfjord strait drat it :smith:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

With TOG, antipopes no longer reduce authority by a set amount per month - Rather, each antipope reduces authority by 20%

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any tips on surviving as one of the Zoroastrian satraps? Or is that even poissible? I always get steamrolled by Persia.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Noreaus posted:

With TOG, antipopes no longer reduce authority by a set amount per month - Rather, each antipope reduces authority by 20%

That's actually really nice if you want your own pocket pope, while kinda screwing the whole 'Anti-pope to destroy Catholicism' thing unless multiple people do it at once. I like.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
How does the game determine plot power for a given character?

In my Sweden game, Denmark having conquered England could field 5x the troops I could muster so clearly they needed to be put down a peg before things got out of control. The Danish king was young with a newly born male heir so I began plotting regicide. As I was perusing the list for potential co-conspirators, as you do, I discovered a lowly mayor with a whopping 176% plot power. WTF? I'm pretty sure he wasn't a council member or anything like that. What happened there?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Was he regent? They get high plot power and unique assassination events. Also might have been his guardian.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Fister Roboto posted:

Any tips on surviving as one of the Zoroastrian satraps? Or is that even poissible? I always get steamrolled by Persia.

Only way I have managed it was to swear fealty to one of the Muslims and work my way out from inside.

Of course to do this you need to convert to Sunni, but keep your heirs as Zoro's, then kill yourself when you are finally big enough to fight the blobs.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Excuse the self-quote.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Protip: If you want to smash poo poo up as the Karen dynasty, your best bet is to swear fealty to the Muslim guy to the east right away, then strongarm him into Elective Succession, then starting a "Your Dude for Kingdom" faction and beating him up. Way easier than going at it from the outside. You can even force-convert him after you win.

This works about 90% of the time I'd say because you start with a lot more troops than him. He never resisted my demand to switch to Elective for example and even if he doesn't fold to your "Character for Kingdom" demand, you can easily beat him.
I didn't get the Sunni event until well into the game either, so the Muslims weren't fighting each other much.

If the Abbasid shah tries to start poo poo, your best bet is to hold him off in the mountains. I got lucky and was able to select the mountain fighting bonus on my king so it was easy to beat them down to size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

theDOWmustflow posted:

How does the game determine plot power for a given character?

In my Sweden game, Denmark having conquered England could field 5x the troops I could muster so clearly they needed to be put down a peg before things got out of control. The Danish king was young with a newly born male heir so I began plotting regicide. As I was perusing the list for potential co-conspirators, as you do, I discovered a lowly mayor with a whopping 176% plot power. WTF? I'm pretty sure he wasn't a council member or anything like that. What happened there?

I think regents, guardians, spymasters and maybe cupholders get a sizeable increase to their plot power.

• Locked thread