Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I have a level 30 assassin and I am having trouble killing stuff. A single silver/white mob (the one above trash) will usually get Khem down to half way or more. I can't even kill a single gold anymore. All my items are orange with mods in it that are my level with appropriate stats.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#2000cZfofRzh.3

Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Huckabee Sting posted:

I have a level 30 assassin and I am having trouble killing stuff. A single silver/white mob (the one above trash) will usually get Khem down to half way or more. I can't even kill a single gold anymore. All my items are orange with mods in it that are my level with appropriate stats.

Any tips?
Go tank and bring a dps companion. Get a shield generator and leave your mods in your orange gear and weapon as dps stuff. Troll your way to victory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huckabee Sting posted:

Any tips?

Try something like this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMozzcZc.3
Dark charge, bring andronikos with you everywhere.

And as the previous poster said, keep everything as dps but make sure you have a shield instead of a focus. Switch to full dps or tank spec and gear as desired at 50 or 55 for HM FP and all operations.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 12, 2013

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

hobbesmaster posted:

Try something like this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMozzcZc.3
Dark charge, bring andronikos with you everywhere.

And as the previous poster said, keep everything as dps but make sure you have a shield instead of a focus. Switch to full dps or tank spec and gear as desired at 50 or 55 for HM FP and all operations.

I just finished chapter 1. I think I might roll a different class. I really don't like that tank spec. Mash thrash until you get the shock cool down proc. Repeat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huh? Your rotation at that level is:
1. lightning
2. shock
3. discharge
4. thrash (force > ~40%)
5. saber strike

Thats all you can do in any spec at that level.

Whenever you can finish out the tanking tree it becomes:
1. lightning with 3 stacks of darkness
2. wither
3. assassinate if target <30%
4. maul if proc'd
5. discharge for debuff
6. shock
7. thrash
8. saber strike

Last edit: If you don't want that tank spec, at least go get death field in madness.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 13, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Requesting invite for my Inquisitor, Xandura. I'm online right now and should be for the next couple of hours. :)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

WarLocke posted:

So when I started my Sage I decided I was going to grab Bioanalysis/Scavenging/Slicing and simply gather ccrap to sell instead of taking an actual crafting skill to sink money into.

Now maybe it's because I'm only on Taris, so only gathering tier 1 and 2 stuff, but all of it seems to sell for poo poo on the GTN. Do later tiers of crafting mats go for a decent amount? Because if not, I can be doing Synthweaving or Artificing or something to actively make my stats better instead...

Wait a day or two. I've had Tier 1 and 2 Scavenging items sell for 50-75K a stack. It will rise and fall, but if you play the long game it'll work out. I had enough just from scavenging and bio to buy a nice saber crystal and have plenty left over by level 20.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I finally hit my stride as a Commando. Running grav round/demo round/high impact/full auto and melting mobs is really fun.

Now to find an assault cannon that doesn't look like rear end.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I feel like I finally hit my stride as a Commando. Running grav round/demo round/high impact/full auto and melting mobs is really fun.

Now to find an assault cannon that doesn't look like rear end.

The Primordial Assault Cannon in the latest cartel pack has animated spinning barrels. :swoon:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

alien8 posted:

The Primordial Assault Cannon in the latest cartel pack has animated spinning barrels. :swoon:

Oh my god I didn't dare to hope it had those. Now I'll definitely need that one.

Another one I like is the Bunker Buster autocannon that you can find for pretty cheap on the GTN. It also has that solid minigun aesthetic and comes with a shiny holographic display to boot.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
How many decades before they have cross-server PvP? Have they said anything about it?

ravis
Jun 21, 2002

Mehrunes posted:

How many decades before they have cross-server PvP? Have they said anything about it?

What they've said is that they aren't currently working on it because its "hard" but they would definitely like to have it sometime in the future.
So i guess we will see it around 2016. :(

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

ravis posted:

What they've said is that they aren't currently working on it because its "hard" but they would definitely like to have it sometime in the future.
So i guess we will see it around 2016. :(

Just hurry up and give me my loving server transfers already and stop complaining that things are hard. Jesus if I complained things were so hard and missed deadlines as often as Bioware at work I'd be fired.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

gently caress cross server PVP, cross server Group Finder would be amazing. I could only imagine how much shorter queues would be, even for DPS.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

gently caress cross server PVP, cross server Group Finder would be amazing. I could only imagine how much shorter queues would be, even for DPS.

Nah we talked about this earlier, it wouldn't be any shorter for DPS because the ratio of tanks and healers is on average the same on every server, so in the end DOS would be waiting either way.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Just hurry up and give me my loving server transfers already and stop complaining that things are hard. Jesus if I complained things were so hard and missed deadlines as often as Bioware at work I'd be fired.

Every company that has ever made an MMO has drastically underestimated how hard they are to create and maintain. Even WoW, the most successful - the Thunderdome Champ of MMOs - took years and years to implement server transfers. Frankly, I'm impressed SWTOR is what it is right now.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Every company that has ever made an MMO has drastically underestimated how hard they are to create and maintain. Even WoW, the most successful - the Thunderdome Champ of MMOs - took years and years to implement server transfers. Frankly, I'm impressed SWTOR is what it is right now.

But it blows my mind none of that information and precedent is considered in release announcements. Also, was WoW the first major MMO to do it? I would expect trailblazers to take a long time and misrepresent the timeline by accident, but usually companies don't actually announce things and the specific release date until they know they can deliver. It tanks the investors trust in potential future announcements.

Anyway, I'm just saying, I love SWTOR but they aren't trailblazing this, maybe a few past implementing personnel in past similar circumstances would have been a good hire before getting in on this stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The details of each mmog's server infrastructure are likely completely different labyrinthian horrors.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So a friend of mine just started to play, or at least tries to play. Every time he logs on, he is met with severe spikes, and his MS goes betwen 6k and 20k all the time, which makes it more or less unplayable.
This only happens in SW:TOR mind you, WoW and other online games are fine and dandy with max 50 ms.

He has flushed his DNS, restarted the router and the modem, contacted his ISP (no problems from their side), deleted the DiskArenaCache file, reinstalled the game and most of the other stuff I've suggested he try, and it's still horrible.
Then he sent a mail to support, but only got a generic answer back, that didn't really attend to his specific problems.

We're both playing on the English PvE server in EU and we both live in Norway. I on the other hand, have no problems what so ever when I fire up the game.

Any idea about what he can do to make it playable?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Datasmurf posted:

So a friend of mine just started to play, or at least tries to play. Every time he logs on, he is met with severe spikes, and his MS goes betwen 6k and 20k all the time, which makes it more or less unplayable.
This only happens in SW:TOR mind you, WoW and other online games are fine and dandy with max 50 ms.

He has flushed his DNS, restarted the router and the modem, contacted his ISP (no problems from their side), deleted the DiskArenaCache file, reinstalled the game and most of the other stuff I've suggested he try, and it's still horrible.
Then he sent a mail to support, but only got a generic answer back, that didn't really attend to his specific problems.

We're both playing on the English PvE server in EU and we both live in Norway. I on the other hand, have no problems what so ever when I fire up the game.

Post in the support forum and push for a specific answer after performing all the generic steps they ask you to do. That's pretty much it.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I can't remember, are all the mods that come in endgame gear specific to whatever type of item they're in, or is it just the armorings? I need to upgrade the mod and enhancement in my pants (heh), was hoping I could save myself some comms by buying a pair of gloves and yanking them out of those.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just armorings. Eventually most of your coms will be spend getting one mod or enhancements from a random piece of gear that ou have no intention of using. Don't be afraid to rip enhancements out of gear for a different class even.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Datasmurf posted:

It's most likely how his ISP is routing traffic to the servers and it's hitting a congested spot. Tell him to give wtfast.com a try, it's a VPN that will re-route how he connects to the server. I have these issues with my ISP and they basically don't care so I'm forced to use this program, it comes with a 30 day free trial so no harm in testing it and seeing if it helps him.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

So, while I'm waiting on pro tips for improved Rage DPS for my smash jugg, what are the rotations that are supposed to be used? I'll usually Force Leap in, use Sundering Assault to finish building rage, then hit with Obliterate, then Force crush. Once I hit three charges of the thing that adds 33% crit chance to smash, I smash. Then I follow through with Force Choke, Ravage, and rebuild rage as needed (using other abilities as I wait for CDs on Sundering Assault and Obliterate).

My DPS just isn't up to snuff, and I'm not sure if its just because I tend to be too tentative or if because I'm totally clown shoes at my rotation and can't tell my rear end from my elbow.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

So, while I'm waiting on pro tips for improved Rage DPS for my smash jugg, what are the rotations that are supposed to be used? I'll usually Force Leap in, use Sundering Assault to finish building rage, then hit with Obliterate, then Force crush. Once I hit three charges of the thing that adds 33% crit chance to smash, I smash. Then I follow through with Force Choke, Ravage, and rebuild rage as needed (using other abilities as I wait for CDs on Sundering Assault and Obliterate).

My DPS just isn't up to snuff, and I'm not sure if its just because I tend to be too tentative or if because I'm totally clown shoes at my rotation and can't tell my rear end from my elbow.

Rage DPS is about using shockwave-critical Smash as often as possible. You have two ways of building shockwave, Force Crush and Enrage, so alternate them between uses of Smash. You also have two ways of generating the auto-crit in Force Charge and Obliterate, though you won't be using Force Charge mid-fight for the most part, so the general idea is to:

Force Charge, Enrage, Smash
Force Crush, (high-priority fillers like Ravage), Obliterate, (low-priority fillers, all of which reduce the active cooldown of Obliterate/Smash/Enrage), Smash
(fillers), Enrage, Obliterate, Smash

From there on just pair every Smash with an Obliterate and either a Force Crush or Enrage. You can also start off with Force Charge, Force Crush, Sundering Assault, Smash -- this gets the armor debuff up right away in case it is necessary.

Don't use Force Choke in a rotation unless you need the stun effect.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 13, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Promethium posted:

Rage DPS is about using shockwave-critical Smash as often as possible. You have two ways of building shockwave, Force Crush and Enrage, so alternate them between uses of Smash. You also have two ways of generating the auto-crit in Force Charge and Obliterate, though you won't be using Force Charge mid-fight for the most part, so the general idea is to:

Force Charge, Enrage, Smash
Force Crush, (high-priority fillers like Ravage), Obliterate, (low-priority fillers, all of which reduce the active cooldown of Obliterate/Smash/Enrage), Smash
(fillers), Enrage, Obliterate, Smash

From there on just pair every Smash with an Obliterate and either a Force Crush or Enrage. You can also start off with Force Charge, Force Crush, Sundering Assault, Smash -- this gets the armor debuff up right away in case it is necessary.

Don't use Force Choke in a rotation unless you need the stun effect.

Great, thank you for the advice. I had a sneaking suspicion Choke wasn't really a very good filler (since its channeled and I don't think it ticks for very much). I'll have to do some more practicing on what actually activates Shockwave (I knew Enrage granted shockwave, but I was never sure when to fill it in). I'll practice this on some dummies and hopefully be able to try it out in a FP. I find a lot of times that I freeze when I'm waiting for poo poo on cool down which isn't necessary. Its just a bad panic fueled habit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So is it considered "bad form" to kick a DPS out of a 55 HM before it even starts if they are MASSIVELY undergeared? Me and a friend do a tank/heal queue so we get instant pops, and a sniper was in the group with 17k HP. I checked his gear, and saw that it was a mix of green gear, along with orange boots with no armorings/mods in them. He disconnected so we vote kicked him out, and his guild mate was in the group with us and gave me poo poo for it. I think it really should be best practice to do a bunch of hard modes from 50-54 so you are at LEAST in full Campaign when you start doing 55 HMs...50 greens just ain't gonna cut it...

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Thanks for the help, I'll make him post and try the VPN.

Now for my own question, what's a good leveling spec for vanguard?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Medullah posted:

. . . I think it really should be best practice to do a bunch of hard modes from 50-54 so you are at LEAST in full Campaign when you start doing 55 HMs...50 greens just ain't gonna cut it...

Anecdotally speaking, my Juggernaught was 50 before getting to Corellia in the storyline. When you add Makeb content to that, I can see how someone could get to 55 without touching hardmode flashpoints. If you want to kick someone in levelling gear from your FP, okay, but all that is doing is keeping them from actually doing the FP in order to get better gear.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Anecdotally speaking, my Juggernaught was 50 before getting to Corellia in the storyline. When you add Makeb content to that, I can see how someone could get to 55 without touching hardmode flashpoints. If you want to kick someone in levelling gear from your FP, okay, but all that is doing is keeping them from actually doing the FP in order to get better gear.

The fact that he didn't have mods in his oranges is the real tell. That signals that he still somehow fundamentally misunderstands major aspects of the game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Red Crown posted:

The fact that he didn't have mods in his oranges is the real tell. That signals that he still somehow fundamentally misunderstands major aspects of the game.

:cripes: I must have skimmed over that bit. OK, yeah, if you get to 55 and can't be bothered to stick any sort of mod at all into oranges, I would kick you too.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

WarLocke posted:

:cripes: I must have skimmed over that bit. OK, yeah, if you get to 55 and can't be bothered to stick any sort of mod at all into oranges, I would kick you too.

For me as long as they don't get in the way and 3 of us are very well geared I don't mind but it's things like wearing basically nothing with no mods that really boils my blood. There is no excuse anymore with the widespread proliferation of 61+ gear in SM FP's and all round sweet drops on Makeb. Even running dailies and weeklies will get you pretty well sorted in some cases. It's a real shame people don't put in the minimal effort needed to at least compete.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha, and I was so nervous before I started doing flashpoints that I read every guide on Dulfy a few times and made sure I was over-specced to the recommended gear levels so that I wouldn't let the group down.

It paid off I guess - never had anybody bitch and moan that I didn't know what I was doing. Just a quick mention at the beginning of new FPs that I haven't run it before but that I'm not a complete dummy and most people are happy to give strategy tips and warnings for anything out of the unusual.

Also, I really want to start a guild called Fat Bottomed Sith that only accepts type 4 bodies into the ranks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Team THEOLOGY posted:

For me as long as they don't get in the way and 3 of us are very well geared I don't mind but it's things like wearing basically nothing with no mods that really boils my blood. There is no excuse anymore with the widespread proliferation of 61+ gear in SM FP's and all round sweet drops on Makeb. Even running dailies and weeklies will get you pretty well sorted in some cases. It's a real shame people don't put in the minimal effort needed to at least compete.

I'm fine with that with the level 50 hard mode flashpoints, but with the 55 ones...you're going to make your healer work their rear end off to keep you alive, and honestly it's going to hurt the group in general. Especially Hammer Station, where that bonus boss is a bitch of a DPS race.

alien8 posted:

Also, I really want to start a guild called Fat Bottomed Sith that only accepts type 4 bodies into the ranks.

I still want to make a guild called "Fleet Repair" and have everyone AFK /welding random things in the fleet.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm fine with that with the level 50 hard mode flashpoints, but with the 55 ones...you're going to make your healer work their rear end off to keep you alive, and honestly it's going to hurt the group in general. Especially Hammer Station, where that bonus boss is a bitch of a DPS race.

Exactly. Severely undergeared people in the level 55s is a huge pain, if it's not completely doomed in the first place. The group of friends I run a weekly fp with are still trying to get geared up. The tank and dps are in a mix of makeb mods and some q66 stuff, and we still have some difficulties with certain fights, and that's with coordination via mumble.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently the Solus Secant has already been removed from the Cartel Market. At least, if it's still there I can't find it. :(

Also god drat it takes forever for the Consular to get a second (non-ship-droid) companion. I'm going to be level 30 before 'officially' getting Tharan. :argh:

Dalei
Sep 25, 2011

WarLocke posted:

So apparently the Solus Secant has already been removed from the Cartel Market. At least, if it's still there I can't find it. :(

It was in the patch notes as being removed.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

WarLocke posted:

If you want to kick someone in levelling gear from your FP, okay, but all that is doing is keeping them from actually doing the FP in order to get better gear.

No, it's not. It doesn't matter how fast you leveled up. If you're undergeared to the point of ridiculousness (which any number of health below 20k in an HM 55 FP is), you need to do your part to get yourself up to par. You don't queue up and hope that the other 3 people will just carry you to victory; you use one of the many options you have to get better gear and then you queue up once you hit the minimum specs you need, which, if a person is starting from around 17k, is going to be a combination of 63s and maybe 66s if you grind out dailies and HM 50 FPs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dalei posted:

It was in the patch notes as being removed.

Oh well, maybe I can get it off the GTN (as if I could afford the new scarcity price).

Tangent, I see people scooting around in a 'speeder' that's like a totally enclosed holo-ball, what is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

WarLocke posted:

Tangent, I see people scooting around in a 'speeder' that's like a totally enclosed holo-ball, what is that?

It's a speeder that you can purchase with tokens from the Gree event.

• Locked thread