Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

I hear rumors Russia is moving their only carrier to the waters near Syria to discourage Western support

Probably scarier for the Russian sailors than it is for the Sixth Fleet, but it is an indication that Putin is at least semi-serious about trying to save Assad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
What is the plan, though? Russia won't back down now, when it looks like their boy has a chance of winning again. Sending arms and money in will just prolong the conflict indefinitely.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

TheBalor posted:

What is the plan, though? Russia won't back down now, when it looks like their boy has a chance of winning again. Sending arms and money in will just prolong the conflict indefinitely.

Convince them to back down. The White House has already presented its case to Russia with regards to Syrian chemical weapons so the ball is in their court right now.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

TheBalor posted:

I don't think they have a coherent plan other to get the US openly committed to the conflict.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've just put together a post on a mystery munition that might be a DIY rocket used by the Syrian government forces
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/a-mystery-munition-syrian-army-diy.html

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Even without the Russian grandstanding, I think the window of opportunity for direct intervention has passed. The rebels' reputation is in tatters at this point, especially in Europe. If the US intervene, it will most likely be unilateral (or perhaps with the backing of France, interestingly enough).

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Even without the Russian grandstanding, I think the window of opportunity for direct intervention has passed. The rebels' reputation is in tatters at this point, especially in Europe. If the US intervene, it will most likely be unilateral (or perhaps with the backing of France, interestingly enough).

The UK will get involved if the US wants them too. But it will just be the UK, France and the US. No other European nations will come along.

Turkey might have gotten involved a few months back, but with the unrest there I am far less certain of that.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Joementum posted:

the White House is going to build a case about the use of chemical weapons to present to the UN to urge action

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

McDowell posted:

Probably because the global economic outlook is just too bleak/insoluble as a narrative. Secular Leftism failed, particularly in the Mideast. Religion and promises of 'give me power and it will be better' are a fall back for easy political power.

When is TBDCon?

Granted, with the bleakness of the outlook you would think it would be easier to form a narrative. Ultimately, economics would rear its head at some point, and since neither side had a real solution to it as an issue, it is easy to see how religious division would fill in the void. It is going to even more dire at this point because Syria's economy really doesn't exist in a realistic sense.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Division posted:

The UK will get involved if the US wants them too. But it will just be the UK, France and the US. No other European nations will come along.

Turkey might have gotten involved a few months back, but with the unrest there I am far less certain of that.

Eh, we'll see. Germany has been really pro-active about it, and the entire EU recognizes the rebels as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people. France is almost guaranteed to go along.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

New Division posted:

I think the UK government has pretty much said it'll be up for a vote. They probably are aware it's a poo poo decision either way, so they might as well share the blame.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The White House is confirming that it has not made any decisions on a no-fly-zone or arming rebel groups.

John McCain will be appearing shortly on CNN to discuss what he knows about the situation, which appears to be not a whole lot.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Eh, we'll see. Germany has been really pro-active about it, and the entire EU recognizes the rebels as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people. France is almost guaranteed to go along.

Germany won't do anything except maybe write a check or two. They're not going to meaningfully participate in any operations in Syria.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

John McCain will be appearing shortly on CNN to discuss what he knows about the situation, which appears to be not a whole lot.

That won't stop him from taking a very strong pro-interventionist stand. The guy is just addicted to trying to throw the US military into another tar pit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Division posted:

Germany won't do anything except maybe write a check or two. They're not going to meaningfully participate in any operations in Syria.

They gave Patriot missiles to Turkey over this. Maybe all they do is write a check or two, but the memo might say "gunz."

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Well, it could lead down a path that would get McCain what he really wants (bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran)

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

New Division posted:

Well, it could lead down a path that would get McCain what he really wants (bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran)

Does the 5th war come free if we're involved in 4 at once?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Where are the Aircraft Carriers?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Saint Celestine posted:

Does the 5th war come free if we're involved in 4 at once?

How do you think Rome financed its wars? Bargain basement deals!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Speaking of Turkey, has there been any news on the talks tonight?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Volkerball posted:

They gave Patriot missiles to Turkey over this. Maybe all they do is write a check or two, but the memo might say "gunz."

I don't know, it's possible. I just get the impression that in most of Europe public opinion has become much less positive about the rebels since the beginning of the conflict (to the extent that people even know and care about it). Especially since there has been a trickle of young muslims leaving Europe to 'fight for Islam'. The rebels have started to become associated with Islamic fundamentalism, and I don't think there would be a lot of enthusiasm for intervention.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

Where are the Aircraft Carriers?

Roughly here

If any three of those pips are in one place outside of US waters, a country within 600 miles is probably about to be bombed.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

I hear rumors Russia is moving their only carrier to the waters near Syria to discourage Western support

Russia has a working carrier? Didn't they sell them to China and India?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Cyprus is also nearby if the US, UK and France end up doing to do a bombing campaign.

Now that I've had to time to digest this though I think all that happens for now is more weapons poring into Syria. Escalation only comes after that fails, I'm guessing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

-Troika- posted:

Russia has a working carrier? Didn't they sell them to China and India?

That was Varyag, the unfinished sister ship of Admiral Kuznetsov which has been in service since 1990.

Well, actually Varyag is no longer unfinished either.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
John McCain is pro World War 3.

The Russians don't want us to arm the rebels against Assad, they seem willing to go to war over this. You can read more on RT and Infowars.

It is unclear how they feel about Israel and Saudi Arabia.

McCain wants to take this to full Cuban Missile Crisis. Except this time we open the gates of Ragnarok and the Maverick goes to Valhalla.

Nenonen posted:

That was Varyag, the unfinished sister ship of Admiral Kuznetsov which has been in service since 1990.

Well, actually Varyag is no longer unfinished either.

Also the uncommissioned Burans and Ekranoplans lying around:hist101:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

That won't stop him from taking a very strong pro-interventionist stand. The guy is just addicted to trying to throw the US military into another tar pit.

John McCain is to interventions as most republicans are to tax cuts.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

McDowell posted:

John McCain is pro World War 3.

The Russians don't want us to arm the rebels against Assad, they seem willing to go to war over this. You can read more on RT and Infowars.

It is unclear how they feel about Israel and Saudi Arabia.

McCain wants to take this to full Cuban Missile Crisis. Except this time we open the gates of Ragnarok and the Maverick goes to Valhalla.

Also the uncommissioned Burans and Ekranoplans lying around:hist101:

I don't think the Russians would react too much to the arms flow into Syria from the west picking up. What they don't want to see is an open Western military intervention.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Best Friends posted:

John McCain is to interventions as most republicans are to tax cuts.

Keep in mind that the person charged with presenting the administration's case to the UN for action in Syria will almost certainly be Samantha Power.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

McDowell posted:

You can read more on RT and Infowars.

I'd rather not!

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
AJE is reporting that the US has decided to provide military aid to the rebels.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

New Division posted:

I don't think the Russians would react too much to the arms flow into Syria from the west picking up. What they don't want to see is an open Western military intervention.

In the end I don't think Russia is going to do anything meaningful if it comes to that. They were very much opposed to NATO bombings of Serbia and Libya. Syria would be just another "ally" ending in -a that Russia has left to its own devises.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind that the person charged with presenting the administration's case to the UN for action in Syria will almost certainly be Samantha Power.

I have no idea who that is, but that's a pretty cool name. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Eh, that's not going to end the war.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
We're really going to bungle into this, aren't we? Jesus loving Christ.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

McDowell posted:

Russia is not going to war over this, they'd just ship Assad unimaginable amounts of weapons and funds.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Well, all bets are off :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

New Division posted:

At least the rebels have the support of our TV stars! :v:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Nothing like a full bore proxy war I guess, I wonder how the US plans on getting weapons to the "right guys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Brown Moses, do you have any thoughts as to any possible implications of this sudden appearance of wire guided missiles? Such as where they might be coming from, etc. Also, don't wire guided missiles require some kind of training to use?

Sorry if this is all wrong and naive, but I know literally nothing about military weapons and your blog has been the first time for me hearing about many things.

• Locked thread