Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This seems way harder to find than it should be, but are there maps of western nations (or even just the US would suffice) that shows which regions do not have access to broadband Internet (i.e. only dial-up or no Internet at all)?

Hell if you can show me statistics instead of a map, that would be pretty great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

This seems way harder to find than it should be, but are there maps of western nations (or even just the US would suffice) that shows which regions do not have access to broadband Internet (i.e. only dial-up or no Internet at all)?

Hell if you can show me statistics instead of a map, that would be pretty great too.

This may be overkill, but:
http://www.broadbandmap.gov/technology

There is also:

Which is elsewhere on the site.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

This may be overkill, but:
http://www.broadbandmap.gov/technology

There is also:

Which is elsewhere on the site.

Awesome, thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reading over misc reviews about Stephen King novels, and I found one that said his book Rose Madder was extremely anti-feminist. Seeing as the book is about an abused woman escaping her murderous husband, I didn't see that. The reviewer noted that most of the people who help the woman escape her husband are brutally murdered by him. When he is finally killed by supernatural means, the main character Rose ends up with a nice husband, a cute baby, and a temper that has her ready to kill everyone from her husband to a coworker in pretty violent ways. She does find a way to deal with it, to a degree, but the message of the book, seems to be if a woman leaves her abusive husband, she will get innocent people killed, and will become a monster herself.

I know reviews are always open to interpretation, but since all of those things do happen in the book, it made me wonder.
What's your question? Someone will see literally everything as anti-feminist or anti-you-name-it and someone else will see the opposite. In my view, how you interpret something like that says more about you than about it.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Today I heard that the fires in Colorado caused a prison to need to be evacuated. How do they evacuate prisons? Where do all of the prisoners go, and if it's a really big prison, how are they transported?

liddl ninja
Jan 17, 2013
To get a hangover you need to stop drinking
Can someone recommend a groomer for body and head?

Ok battery and with justability(no need for more than 2cm)

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Does paying off my federal student loan improve my credit?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
The specifics of credit scoring are very mysterious, but I would imagine so. I don't think think it would help any more or less than any other kind of installment loan, but I don't know that for certain. If you miss payments though it's definitely going to gently caress you.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Raimundus posted:

Does paying off my federal student loan improve my credit?

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that student loans are installment credit rather than revolving credit (like credit cards), and paying them off early won't boost your score. It will, however, save you interest.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not sure if I should post this in Goon Doctor or not.

I work for a moving company and we need to deliver a dental chair tomorrow morning. Problem is, I don't know how much this thing weighs and if I'll need to pull an extra mover for the job. If they could provide me with a model number or something similar, I could figure it out myself. But no dice, the chair's in storage and they have no clue.

Should I expect this thing to weigh over 400 lbs?

Seems like the guy they normally use only send out 2 people, so that answers that.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 13, 2013

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Has there ever been a conjoined sister/brother pair? Or maybe other unexpected conjoinments?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Crankit posted:

Has there ever been a conjoined sister/brother pair? Or maybe other unexpected conjoinments?

Yeah your parents. Hahaha. Gross.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Crankit posted:

Conjoined twins can only happen with identical twins, so no, no brother/sister pairs. Conjoined twins occur when the division of cells from a single egg into two embryos doesn't quite happen properly. Fraternal twins occur (under natural circumstances) when two eggs are ovulated at the same time.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Why does the truck for the regular trash and the yard waste trash come at like 7am, and the recycling one comes hours later at like 1pm?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Different companies setting their own routes? Or perhaps they don't want to both be in the same neighborhood at the same time, as it could cause them to slow each other down.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Retter posted:

Why does the truck for the regular trash and the yard waste trash come at like 7am, and the recycling one comes hours later at like 1pm?
The processing plants for each might be located in different places so your house might be later on the route.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Different companies setting their own routes? Or perhaps they don't want to both be in the same neighborhood at the same time, as it could cause them to slow each other down.

Hoops posted:

The processing plants for each might be located in different places so your house might be later on the route.

I love you both.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Can different types of monkey or ape breed with each other? Are there things like Chimpanboons or Gorillobos?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Crankit posted:

Can different types of monkey or ape breed with each other? Are there things like Chimpanboons or Gorillobos?
They have to be the same species to breed. Different monkeys are all separate species of the same family, whereas breeds of dog are all in fact still the same species even when they look massively different. So you can make labradoodles but not chimpanboons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can also make mules and ligers and things, but those are the rare exception and not the rule.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Is replacing a laptop's lcd screen the sort of job that someone with no experience in computer repair would be able to handle?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

Is replacing a laptop's lcd screen the sort of job that someone with no experience in computer repair would be able to handle?

I personally would not recommend it. Laptops are a notorious pain in the rear end to work on, and it's entirely possible that you'd have to take the entire loving thing apart to get to the display unit's connection to the graphics adapter (in fact I would count on it).

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

You can also make mules and ligers and things, but those are the rare exception and not the rule.

And these cross-species offspring are basically always sterile. You can breed a llama with a camel, but there won't be any grandkids.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Hoops posted:

They have to be the same species to breed. Different monkeys are all separate species of the same family, whereas breeds of dog are all in fact still the same species even when they look massively different. So you can make labradoodles but not chimpanboons.

I don't think you quite understand the question. He's asking about examples of F1 hybrids of primates. One example that has been observed is two distinct species of spider monkeys having offspring, Ateles goffroyi AKA Geoffroy's spider monkey and Ateles fusciceps AKA Black-headed spider monkey.

Hell, that's two distinct genuses breeding which is pretty cool, although both are spider monkeys. Horse and donkey are at least in the same genus.

That's the best one I know of, but there are baboon F1 hybrids and howler monkey f1 hybrids and an entire world of hominid hybridization theories that I can barely comprehend.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

stubblyhead posted:

I personally would not recommend it. Laptops are a notorious pain in the rear end to work on, and it's entirely possible that you'd have to take the entire loving thing apart to get to the display unit's connection to the graphics adapter (in fact I would count on it).

Thanks! What about replacing keyboard keys?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
So I go to a restaurant and ask for a coke. The server asks me if pepsi's ok? I say sure, because it doesn't make a big difference to me. Cola is cola as far as I'm concerned, and I don't have any particular brand loyalty to either. But it makes me wonder, does anyone care about this sort of thing? Have any goons been upset, or witnessed someone being upset when their soft drink of choice isn't available?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So I go to a restaurant and ask for a coke. The server asks me if pepsi's ok? I say sure, because it doesn't make a big difference to me. Cola is cola as far as I'm concerned, and I don't have any particular brand loyalty to either. But it makes me wonder, does anyone care about this sort of thing? Have any goons been upset, or witnessed someone being upset when their soft drink of choice isn't available?

It's been a while since I've drank soda, but I know people who can taste (and care about) the difference between those drinks, yeah. I don't know about them going so far as to get upset over the lack of one or the other though.

Sergeant Baboon
Jan 2, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I know a few people who won't order soda if a restaurant only has Pepsi products.

And there's this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was CopywrightMMXI not alive during the Cola wars?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Giant Squid posted:

It depends on the laptop. Check iFixit to see if they have a guide for your model. If you have a ThinkPad it should be fairly easy, other things, not so much.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Giant Squid posted:

Keys are the exact oposite as they're probably the easiest thing to replace. Just take your time.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Never underestimate the degree of irrational anger of which consumers are capable.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

Depends a lot on the model. Some keycaps snap on and off really easily, others come off easily enough, but are loving impossible to get back on. See if you can find some specifics for your model, it may be a lot easier to just replace the entire keyboard module. That's generally one of the easier parts to get in and out, but again, it's very dependent on the model.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My ex-father in law would go on a tear to the waiter/waitress if they didn't have coke, like that decision was something they had control over.

I like Pepsi better.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

CopywrightMMXI posted:

A coworker of mine makes a huge deal of being 'forced' to order water/tea if the restaurant serves Pepsi. Gives the waitstaff grief about it. I actively try to avoid going out in a group with this person because of their Coke theatrics.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It depends on the laptop. Check iFixit to see if they have a guide for your model. If you have a ThinkPad it should be fairly easy, other things, not so much.
Dell has manuals for pretty much all of their laptops for the past seven or eight years on their website. And if you're going to try repairing a laptop, you definitely want a manual. Every laptop is put together differently, and there's no real way to see or intuit what the gently caress you're going to need to remove, what has a bunch of completely illogically placed screws, or what is held in by pressure and you can just pop out. I try not to do it because it's a huge pain in the rear end, like everyone else says.

On Dells, at least, the keyboard is pretty easy, provided you can get a replacement; getting individual keys to go back on can be difficult.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 14, 2013

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

liddl ninja posted:

Can someone recommend a groomer for body and head?

Ok battery and with justability(no need for more than 2cm)

Moser ProfiLine Primat titan
Professional hair clipper Type 1230-0053

http://www.moser-profiline-shop.com/Moser-ProfiLine-Primat-titan/details_050.010_1230-0053.htm

I use one for myself. Very good quality and price/performance.
No battery though. I recommend avoiding chargeable groomers (you won't like them dying half done and hanging from your chest).

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I was on an IRC where recently discussion came to the goon who rapes dogs and it got me thinking. Now at this point I want to say that I find the idea of having sex with an animal gross and bad enough in itself that I don't think anyone should be doing it.

I started thinking about the term used: "rape." Does that mean if a dog had been humping his leg it would have maybe been ok for him to receive from that dog?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Crankit posted:

I was on an IRC where recently discussion came to the goon who rapes dogs and it got me thinking. Now at this point I want to say that I find the idea of having sex with an animal gross and bad enough in itself that I don't think anyone should be doing it.

I started thinking about the term used: "rape." Does that mean if a dog had been humping his leg it would have maybe been ok for him to receive from that dog?

Well, since they aren't humans above the age of 18, they can't consent, and therefore it would be considered "rape".

Though, when it comes to being "OK", there's still as far as I know quite a few states and countries where sex with animals is allowed (Sweden just outlawed it a few days ago), so you got plenty of opportunities. Just don't move dogs across state lines to have sex with them, find someone local.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
Is there some sort of limit to how much weight a human can put on in one day? Obviously your stomach capacity means you can only ingest so much. But it you sat and spent the whole day eating butter or mayonnaise or something incredibly calorie dense and drinking olive oil, would every calorie you take in be absorbed?