Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Is garlic bad for dogs?

I came home to find the assdogs had pulled my box of cheesy garlic biscuits off my counter and ate them. At any rate I am not looking forward to the dogfarts that will ensue. I am legitimately considering making them sleep outside tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Yeah, garlic is bad for dogs. http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

There isn't actually any garlic listed in the ingredients list, despite them being labeled cheese garlic biscuits. :confused: I guess I'll see if they start acting sick then they'll go to the vet ASAP.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there onions in the ingredients? Those are pretty terrible, too.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Shnooks posted:

Is there onions in the ingredients? Those are pretty terrible, too.

Generally speaking its less bad for dogs than garlic. Shallots, garlic, and onions are all bad.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

No onions, dogs seem ok aside from some bright yellow poops today. The website a life less posted says garlic toxicity can take 3-4 days to set in, so I guess we'll see. I think the biscuits probably only had a small amount of garlic powder and not actual garlic cloves so I think we'll be ok.

Edit:

Take that back, currently at the e vet waiting for blood test results to see if Max has pancreatitis, after a lovely expulsion of every bodily fluid he could muster. Pistol seems OK still.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 25, 2013

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I didn't see anything in the cat thread, but we're about to move about 500 miles away, which will make for about an 8 hour car ride with an indoor only cat. We got some drugs from the vet to help calm her down, but aside from frequent rest stops to let her stretch/pee (not too confident she will)/relax, any advice for making the trip easier? We should be able to manage once we're in the new place, but it's with the transporting a cat for so long that I'm inexperienced.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

My dog frequently drinks out of lakes, streams and puddles. She seems healthy, and her coat is good. Should I consider a cautionary deworming treatment?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

a life less posted:

My dog frequently drinks out of lakes, streams and puddles. She seems healthy, and her coat is good. Should I consider a cautionary deworming treatment?

So long as its clear flowing water it is pretty much ok. Puddles are no good.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

a life less posted:

Most worms are spread through eating feces or hunting small animals, not drinking water. Giardia is a parasite you can get from dirty water, but routine dewormers usually won't treat for that. Leptospirosis is a bacteria spread in urine and found in water sources, so that may be a concern in your area (and the vaccine generally does not cover all strains of lepto). If it's a lake or pond, algae may be a problem as certain kinds are toxic.

Is she on a monthly heartworm preventative? Those products generally are good routine dewormers as well as preventing heartworm.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Joining in on worm-chat:

Pistol snarfed up a squirrel pancake on our walk the other day (reason 234123 I hate where I currently live-- no sidewalks so we have to walk on the road which is often a roadkill buffet). Seems no worse for the wear since he has an iron stomach, but is there anything I should be on the lookout for? They get their monthly Heartguard and flea/tick stuff in about a week.

Last time I posted in this thread it helped save Max from full blown pancreatitis, so thank you thread! :toot:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
My little yorkie is almost 12.5yrs. She recently had to have teeth removed, leaving her with a total of four teeth. Also she has become progessivly more clumsy on her front legs due to a ruputed disk in her neck area.

Her tounge always used to stick out a bit in the front, but since her teeth surgery her tounge now hangs about 3/4 inch out the right side of her mouth. Also since the surgery she is having what can be callled little "fits" where, if she is doing anything other than laying down, at any moment she pulls her ears up and back, crosses her front legs, and makes what can be described as a "bucking" motion, rearing up with her hind legs, jerking her front body upwards about 4 to 5 times. She may repeat this quick succession at times.

To me it almost looks like she is gagging, possibly on her tounge. Tonight she had a few fits in rapid succession and when i picked her up to try and calm or help or whatever i noticed her tounge was dark with color slowly returning to it as i held her.

Anyone know what it could be?

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Get your yorkie to a vet, pronto. That doesn't sound good at all. Whether she's gagging on her tongue, or having seizures, or something else entirely, this isn't a "wait and see" thing. She needs to be evaluated immediately.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I know that is the right thing to do, but part of me fears that I might not be coming home with her ever again given her age. I kind of was hoping for someone to hop in here and say "oh it's no big deal, it's [insert thing] and the vet can fix it real easy" before I went up there to help ease my nerves.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

I didn't see anything in the cat thread, but we're about to move about 500 miles away, which will make for about an 8 hour car ride with an indoor only cat. We got some drugs from the vet to help calm her down, but aside from frequent rest stops to let her stretch/pee (not too confident she will)/relax, any advice for making the trip easier? We should be able to manage once we're in the new place, but it's with the transporting a cat for so long that I'm inexperienced.

If your cat is a cat nip responder, it might respond positively to Feliway,which is a spray that contains a cat "happy hormone." Some cats feel better with it, some don't care about it. Some cats do better if they feel that they're in a hidey cave (towel over the carrier), whereas some may do better able to see you.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Moving over from the More random animal nonsense! thread

How do I gently explain to friend, that has a "very good dog" that no, she doesn't need time to warm up to new dogs but she's dog aggressive and needs training?

Dog in question: standard Poodle that's barks at everything that moves and charges dogs that come into her territory. Outside on a collar/underground fence. She's good because she will sit, stay and sometimes come when called. She seems to be getting more aggressive.

My dog: Hank, lovable, now skinnier, chocolate lab that doesn't understand why she's barking at him and trying to bite his ears and neck. I know he's not perfect but he just wants to play, have fun, and exercise some more weight off.

Friend: wants me to bring Hank over so the poodle can get used to new dogs and chill out

Me: trying not to kick/beat the crap out of the other dog. Right now I don't want to take him over there just to be harassed. But I want him to get out and play with other dogs. The closest dog park is 45 mins away, friends house is about 5 mins.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Can I trust Sarabi to handle fish with some bones in it or should I assume she'll choke and die on anything not totally deboned and made idiotproof?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Nannypea posted:

Moving over from the More random animal nonsense! thread

How do I gently explain to friend, that has a "very good dog" that no, she doesn't need time to warm up to new dogs but she's dog aggressive and needs training?

Dog in question: standard Poodle that's barks at everything that moves and charges dogs that come into her territory. Outside on a collar/underground fence. She's good because she will sit, stay and sometimes come when called. She seems to be getting more aggressive.

My dog: Hank, lovable, now skinnier, chocolate lab that doesn't understand why she's barking at him and trying to bite his ears and neck. I know he's not perfect but he just wants to play, have fun, and exercise some more weight off.

Friend: wants me to bring Hank over so the poodle can get used to new dogs and chill out

Me: trying not to kick/beat the crap out of the other dog. Right now I don't want to take him over there just to be harassed. But I want him to get out and play with other dogs. The closest dog park is 45 mins away, friends house is about 5 mins.

I'm in no way a dog expert but I had a similar situation with my dog. My advice would be to only let the dogs play in 'neutral' territory (not in the dog's home). If a dog park is too far away, then perhaps some joint walks would work- that would get the dogs used to each others presence while keeping them active enough and more interested in their surroundings than each other. If you really want to continue visiting the dog in its home then I think you need to try and make your friend understand boundaries- you might be willing to frame it in terms of your dog being fearful of the 'overeager' dog (which will probably happen if it continues). I think also 'constructive' play time might be better (just making stuff up now)- if the focus isn't on the dogs playing with each other, but playing NEAR each other but mostly with their owners, or some other stimulus (which they don't have to compete over), that might help? Or if they get identical treats to work on (like antlers) and just do that spending time in each others presence- but that's introducing a resource which might make trigger guarding issues or something. It sounds like they've got to get used to each other before they can cooperate. If the poodle is still aggressive and such then you'll have to re-evaluate.

InEscape posted:

Can I trust Sarabi to handle fish with some bones in it or should I assume she'll choke and die on anything not totally deboned and made idiotproof?

As a stranger on the internet I am sure everything will be fine! If you take the risk and she chokes and dies you won't feel bad at all. (I'd debone as much as possible because cats are dumb)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
My parents recently (9 months ago ish) got a new springer pointer mix rescue dog and the vet guessed that he's about a year and a half to two years old. He's always had a rather harsh sounding bark, but after coming back from a week of boarding his bark sounds very deep and mellow which, frankly, is pretty nice. Or, it would be nice if it weren't such an alarming and abrupt change. He doesn't appear to be in any kind of pain or discomfort and his behavior, appetite, and everything else is unchanged.

They'll be taking him to a vet, and contacting the kennel, but I figured I'd ask here first. Is this indicative of some sort of horrible kennel disease he may have contracted or is he on the tail end of some kind of neutered doggy puberty I never knew existed and this is just part of the growing process? Gonna guess the former, but hope for the latter.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 30, 2013

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Bummey posted:

My parents recently (9 months ago ish) got a new springer pointer mix rescue dog and the vet guessed that he's about a year and a half to two years old. He's always had a rather harsh sounding bark, but after coming back from a week of boarding his bark sounds very deep and mellow which, frankly, is pretty nice. Or, it would be nice if it weren't such an alarming and abrupt change. He doesn't appear to be in any kind of pain or discomfort and his behavior, appetite, and everything else is unchanged.

They'll be taking him to a vet, and contacting the kennel, but I figured I'd ask here first. Is this indicative of some sort of horrible kennel disease he may have contracted or is he on the tail end of some kind of neutered doggy puberty I never knew existed and this is just part of the growing process? Gonna guess the former, but hope for the latter.

Sometimes dogs bark themselves hoarse while they are at the boarding facility, basically giving themselves laryngitis. I would ask the kennel if he was constantly barking. If he were to have contracted "kennel cough," that can also cause some amount of laryngitis and voice change, but he would most likely also be coughing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PyPy posted:

I know that is the right thing to do, but part of me fears that I might not be coming home with her ever again given her age. I kind of was hoping for someone to hop in here and say "oh it's no big deal, it's [insert thing] and the vet can fix it real easy" before I went up there to help ease my nerves.

This is like four days late, but it's impossible for us to know. It could be a billion things. Go to the vet, man. They won't just whip out the needle and go "oh well, she's hosed!". They'll give you options.

InEscape posted:

I'd debone it and chop it and stare at her the entire time she ate it because paranoia.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

moving to dog thread

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

Can anyone recommend me some climbing plants that aren't toxic to cats? I just bought two arches and want to cover them in climbing plants, but my garden is a full on cat fiesta most days as the neighbourhood cats use it as a shortcut between their own gardens. I was looking at honeysuckle, wisteria and jasmine, but all I can find online is pretty conflicting info. Something that also attracts bees would be awesome. Help!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
My daughter who is 1 was eating some raisins and one ended up on the floor. My wife knows about grapes and dogs but didnt realize raisins are grapes (yeah...). Anyway one of the dogs got one. He's like 40-45 lbs and ate it about an hour ago and seems totally fine. My wife is now guilt ridden and freaking out about it. One grape isn't going to hurt this dog, right?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Capslock Holmes posted:

My daughter who is 1 was eating some raisins and one ended up on the floor. My wife knows about grapes and dogs but didnt realize raisins are grapes (yeah...). Anyway one of the dogs got one. He's like 40-45 lbs and ate it about an hour ago and seems totally fine. My wife is now guilt ridden and freaking out about it. One grape isn't going to hurt this dog, right?

One grape is not going to hurt a 40 lb dog.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
How well do those cooling scarves for dogs work?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Dogdoo 8 posted:

How well do those cooling scarves for dogs work?

They work decently if there's a bit of a breeze and the weather isn't too humid. I've not used one personally - in the past I've just wet my dog's bandanna. The cooling scarves have the benefit of not making your dog appear too wet, but I've never much cared about that.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
I think my old man dog may be developing sensitive teeth because he's been eating his dry kibble a little more tentatively lately (it's not appetite because he'll scarf down his soft treats). He's not refusing to eat but he just takes waaaay longer now. He's due for his semi-annual so we're going to the vet anyway, but I'm wondering if I can just wet down his kibble, or if anyone has had any experience with making kibble mushy.

We're currently feeding him Taste of the Wild kibble. I can't switch him to strictly canned because he will poop everywhere and it will be an expensive nightmare. If the vet tells us to switch, we'll switch but I'm just curious if anyone else has tried to make kibble mush for their dogs.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Bacteriophage posted:

I think my old man dog may be developing sensitive teeth because he's been eating his dry kibble a little more tentatively lately (it's not appetite because he'll scarf down his soft treats). He's not refusing to eat but he just takes waaaay longer now. He's due for his semi-annual so we're going to the vet anyway, but I'm wondering if I can just wet down his kibble, or if anyone has had any experience with making kibble mushy.

We're currently feeding him Taste of the Wild kibble. I can't switch him to strictly canned because he will poop everywhere and it will be an expensive nightmare. If the vet tells us to switch, we'll switch but I'm just curious if anyone else has tried to make kibble mush for their dogs.

Yeah, you can make kibble softer with water. It can take 30-60 minutes for it to soak in (may depend on the brand). However, I see dogs and cats all the time for difficulty eating or an aversion to kibble, and the issue is never "sensitive teeth" so much as it is broken or infected/abscessed teeth, or horribly dirty teeth with nasty infected gums, or occasionally some type of tumor in the mouth that is getting in the way of chewing. Don't be surprised if the vet finds something significant inside the dog's mouth.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
We have ants in the house. We put out poison for the ants. My cat is not bothering the poison, but apparently likes the taste of ants and is now licking them off the floor like an anteater. He is not sick, but, uh, is this ok?

We are using the Terro ant bait.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

We have ants in the house. We put out poison for the ants. My cat is not bothering the poison, but apparently likes the taste of ants and is now licking them off the floor like an anteater. He is not sick, but, uh, is this ok?

We are using the Terro ant bait.

This is NOT ok.

Remove the ant traps. Monitor your cat for any weird behavior, vomiting, hiding if he's friendly, unusual poos, etc. If any of those come up, it's vet-time.

Buy yourself a bag of diatomaceous earth - I use it for all bug-related dilemmas and it's safe for use around pets, small children, and the like because it's not poison. Lowe's has 4 pound bags marketed as 'Crawling Insect Killer' that are like $9.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Hopes Fall posted:

This is NOT ok.

Remove the ant traps. Monitor your cat for any weird behavior, vomiting, hiding if he's friendly, unusual poos, etc. If any of those come up, it's vet-time.

Buy yourself a bag of diatomaceous earth - I use it for all bug-related dilemmas and it's safe for use around pets, small children, and the like because it's not poison. Lowe's has 4 pound bags marketed as 'Crawling Insect Killer' that are like $9.

Thanks!

Edit- apparently the stuff in terro is borax, which is supposed to be pet safe, but I don't trust it. I will get some diatomaceous earth. I used to use the stuff all of the time in my garden

EXTREME INSERTION fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
There's a dove outside my office that's been sitting in the planter for 24+ hours. I don't think it can fly :( Is there anything I can do for it besides giving it food and water?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Triangulum posted:

There's a dove outside my office that's been sitting in the planter for 24+ hours. I don't think it can fly :( Is there anything I can do for it besides giving it food and water?

Yep, put it in a box and take it to a wildlife rehabilitation center.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I meant until then, sorry. I can't take it until I get off work.

e: The bird can fly, she took off when I tried to pick her up and then plopped back down in the planter. maybe she just likes it there?

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 14, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Triangulum posted:

I meant until then, sorry. I can't take it until I get off work.

e: The bird can fly, she took off when I tried to pick her up and then plopped back down in the planter. maybe she just likes it there?

A good rule of thumb would be if you can catch her, she's not doing well and needs to be taken to the wildlife center. Otherwise, she might just be dumb. Doves and pigeons are supremely dumb. I used to own a fantail pigeon, and she was basically the dumbest creature alive.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Doves are really stupid, so it's hard to say why she might be hanging out in that planter.

Re: cooling collars, I bought a bunch of stuff from Polar Products including cooling collars for Husker and Murphy, and they work great! I think they're better for shorter-haired dogs because the fur doesn't insulate them as much from the collar, but it still seemed to help Murphy out. I have a neckband and wrist bands from them for myself, and they came in real handy when I went out peach-picking last summer in the middle of a heat wave.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Serella posted:

A good rule of thumb would be if you can catch her, she's not doing well and needs to be taken to the wildlife center. Otherwise, she might just be dumb. Doves and pigeons are supremely dumb. I used to own a fantail pigeon, and she was basically the dumbest creature alive.

Good to know! I know pretty much fuckall about birds haha. I'm gonna go check on her tomorrow just in case she's still hanging around (I left her some food and a bowl of water). She's surprisingly curious too, she followed me around for a little bit after work :3:

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I have a 6-year-old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who ran into some health problems late last week - she started not wanting to go for her full walk (pulling to go back halfway through), and then a couple days later she started getting this snorty breathing that's a bit faster than usual. I ran her to the vet's office, and they did an exam and a couple chest X-rays. They identified a bit of arthritis in the back as the possible cause of her moving slowly/not wanting to exercise, but they didn't really pinpoint the cause of her noisy breathing - the X-rays showed her lungs clear, they didn't find any indications of congestive heart failure, and she checked negative for heartworm and Lyme. I had to induce vomiting on her a little over a week ago (she swallowed a cheese wrapper), and the vet theorized that that could have irritated her esophagus. I was told not to worry about it unless she got a productive cough. (Upon once or twice a day, she'll have a thing where it's like she's trying to hack up saliva, but it doesn't produce anything. I told the vet, and she told me not to worry.)

It's been a couple days since the vet appointment, and my dog's still the same with the breathing. I hadn't seen this vet before, and I'm just concerned about this sudden onset of this breathing issue. Like I said, the vomiting thing and the faster breathing were a few days apart, so I did ask the vet if there could be any other possibilities; she said that they could only confirm that my dog's lungs were clear, etc. Is there anything that might have been overlooked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Blenheim posted:

I have a 6-year-old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who ran into some health problems late last week - she started not wanting to go for her full walk (pulling to go back halfway through), and then a couple days later she started getting this snorty breathing that's a bit faster than usual. I ran her to the vet's office, and they did an exam and a couple chest X-rays. They identified a bit of arthritis in the back as the possible cause of her moving slowly/not wanting to exercise, but they didn't really pinpoint the cause of her noisy breathing - the X-rays showed her lungs clear, they didn't find any indications of congestive heart failure, and she checked negative for heartworm and Lyme. I had to induce vomiting on her a little over a week ago (she swallowed a cheese wrapper), and the vet theorized that that could have irritated her esophagus. I was told not to worry about it unless she got a productive cough. (Upon once or twice a day, she'll have a thing where it's like she's trying to hack up saliva, but it doesn't produce anything. I told the vet, and she told me not to worry.)

It's been a couple days since the vet appointment, and my dog's still the same with the breathing. I hadn't seen this vet before, and I'm just concerned about this sudden onset of this breathing issue. Like I said, the vomiting thing and the faster breathing were a few days apart, so I did ask the vet if there could be any other possibilities; she said that they could only confirm that my dog's lungs were clear, etc. Is there anything that might have been overlooked?

Basically, checking the x-rays means looking for causes of breathing changes inside the chest (called thoracic or lower airway). However, more "snorty" breathing sounds like that could be more nose or throat related (called upper airway) that could be caused by any number of things. Since things are still going on, you can do one of several things:
1) Go in for a recheck to see if there are further diagnostics (like throat x-rays or ultrasound, visual throat examinations, etc..) to be done.
2) Call the vet, explain how things haven't changed and ask if they want you to come back in.
3) Go to a different vet you're more comfortable with. As a vet, I am not offended by people going to other vets for second opinions - that's the name of medicine, though there are vets who would be offended by that.
4) Or simply ignore it. I don't like this one.