Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

Is there any plan to add caching though? I'd love to be able to download all unread pages on a thread I'm behind in, images included.

The forum admins frown on automated downloading of pages. They want third-party apps to generate the same traffic pattern as someone reading the forums the old-fashioned way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Any word on a iOS 7 compatibility fix? I'm very tempted to install the beta, and Awful not being compatible is quite possibly the only thing keeping me back.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Is there any plan to add back in (from the old app) the "pinch to remove the banners at the top/bottom" to increase the readable area? You said a long time ago that you planned to add it in again. There's at least one person out here who misses it!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the desired plan was to introduce toolbars that hid when you started scrolling and came back in when you went to the top/bottom of pages or scrolled really fast.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jivjov posted:

Any word on a iOS 7 compatibility fix? I'm very tempted to install the beta, and Awful not being compatible is quite possibly the only thing keeping me back.

I'm not lifting a finger until the GM, sorry.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

^A smart man.

jivjov posted:

Works fine on my iPhone 4.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

kloa posted:

^A smart man.

Works fine on my iPhone 4.

Ah, pokeyman said something about ios7 crash reports, so I thought it was just completely broken.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

Ah, pokeyman said something about ios7 crash reports, so I thought it was just completely broken.

I enjoy the crash reports because they just say <redacted> all over the stack trace. They're monumentally useless.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

I enjoy the crash reports because they just say <redacted> all over the stack trace. They're monumentally useless.

That's fascinating and frustratingly ridiculous.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I like that you save a draft after you back out from the text entry field because it allows you to quote multiple people in the same post. Still, it has caused me to make posts where I unintentionally double-quote someone or where I have quoted text from an entirely different thread.

Just now I noticed that if you long-press on the Cancel button, you get an option to Delete Draft. This is a great feature but very unintuitive. Now that I know about it, I can't imagine how else this could be implemented. I thought you'd appreciate the feedback. Sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

I like that you save a draft after you back out from the text entry field because it allows you to quote multiple people in the same post. Still, it has caused me to make posts where I unintentionally double-quote someone or where I have quoted text from an entirely different thread.

Just now I noticed that if you long-press on the Cancel button, you get an option to Delete Draft. This is a great feature but very unintuitive. Now that I know about it, I can't imagine how else this could be implemented. I thought you'd appreciate the feedback. Sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions.

It's a bit of a poo poo sandwich. I didn't want to make a full-fledged drafts feature, but I wanted you to be able to build a post up as you go. I'm not sure what the right answer is. I am glad you found the "delete draft" button though!

There's a bug related to all this that enables an old SA standby. I wonder if anyone has found it yet...

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman posted:

So the release a beta for developers and go out of their way to make it hard to develop with when it comes to debugging?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

So the release a beta for developers and go out of their way to make it hard to develop with when it comes to debugging?

Nah it's Crashlytics doing the redaction. They can't tell if you're under Apple's NDA so they err on the side of scrubbing out anything under NDA. Your app's lines in the stack trace are still visible so it's not completely worthless. The worthless part is when e.g. something in UIKit explodes while Awful happens to be running, then it's just a couple dozen lines of "UIKit <redacted>".

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

jivjov posted:

It's not really broken now, it just crashes occasionally - mainly when hitting the 'back' button from a thread it seems. If you're going to install the beta I'd suggest building Awful from source as the debug version, where Crashlytics are disabled and pokeyman won't get bombarded with useless crash reports.

Supporting iOS 6 and iOS 7 at the same time is going to be a nightmare for developers though - I rebuilt Awful against the iOS 7 SDK and the UI was horrifically broken. Build it against the old SDK and it looks just like it always did.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can you make this app not compatible on ios7 (is that possible?) just as a giant "gently caress you" to people?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Can you make this app not compatible on ios7 (is that possible?) just as a giant "gently caress you" to people?

I'll detect iOS 7 and turn "reply" into "post", except it looks right in Awful. Like hellbanning. Hellreplying!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just have the app switch to safari and load forums.somethingawful.com. :haw:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Calling it now, I'm donating 10 cents to charity for every time I crash Awful while running the iOS7 beta. It's remarkable stable (the beta and Awful itself) but there are a few things that reliably cause a crash, and I'm sure I'm gonna break it more in the future.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Awful works fine in iOS 7 besides quoting and editing. So it's actually better IMO....

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I just opened YOSPOS for the first time on the app. It was glorious. Seriously made my day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dutchbstrd posted:

Awful works fine in iOS 7 besides quoting and editing. So it's actually better IMO....

Quoting and editing work fine here, oddly enough. It's messing with bookmarks that keeps crashing everything.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I updated to version 1.11.4 today on my iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.3 and it does not work now. It opens, I see a splash page of post tags, and after like 20 seconds it closes. I've tried manually closing the app and even restarted the phone.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Satorr posted:

I updated to version 1.11.4 today on my iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.3 and it does not work now. It opens, I see a splash page of post tags, and after like 20 seconds it closes. I've tried manually closing the app and even restarted the phone.

A delete and reinstall will likely remedy.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

soapgish posted:

A delete and reinstall will likely remedy.

It did. Thank you.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
A suggestion for the pile: I oftentimes find myself hitting the wrong thread if I back out of one and it reloads the thread order. I think a "loading" box similar to the ones used for bookmarking or marking read would alleviate the problem.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Oh nice, it posts successfully on iOS 7.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

To clarify my previous comments: I'll happily accept patches for the iOS 7 beta, I just won't be writing any myself.

edit: And I'll be ignoring bug and crash reports for iOS 7, but that shouldn't stop anyone from posting here about it!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I must say, my favorite part of this app are the update notes. I mean, aside from having a good forums browser in the first place, obviously.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Haha, I was literally just came to thread to ask when the next update was and what it added.

Seems like a solid update so far.

Edit: New YOSPOS loading is a lot better

Edit 2: Not sure if I'm going crazy but everything looks cleaner.

Great update

101 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 16, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

101 posted:

Edit 2: Not sure if I'm going crazy but everything looks cleaner.

I'm not sure what's in that update because I'm on betas, but I think you're going crazy...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I'm not sure what's in that update because I'm on betas, but I think you're going crazy...

Here's the diff, if you want a stroll down memory lane.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
What's up with some posters having a random keyboard-looking emoji to the left of their name in Awful? Is it a YOSPOS only thing?

Edit - Oh, it's for the OP when you're in greenpos. Neat!

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 16, 2013

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm on the app now and I guess I can't search threads on it? Never realized that before. So, apologies if this has come up. Sometimes YouTube videos aren't viewable on outside sites and you have to click through to the video's YT page to view it. When this happens, you see a message in the player like "viewing this video is restricted on certain sites. Click here to watch it on YouTube."

The problem is, I can never click that link, so I can't open the video in YT and view it. If I refresh and press and hold on the video name in the player, I don't get the "open in Safari/Chrome/etc" options like you do on other links. Is this a known issue with a fix planned?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've found I've accidentally hit the ... button like half a dozen times since the update, something I don't think I'd done before. have you cranked the sensitivity or something?

also what's with all these peeps posting about YOSPOS but not posting there? no lurking allowed sorry!!!'

oh and always, thanks and excellent job. loving you for it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Phenix Rising posted:

I'm on the app now and I guess I can't search threads on it? Never realized that before. So, apologies if this has come up. Sometimes YouTube videos aren't viewable on outside sites and you have to click through to the video's YT page to view it. When this happens, you see a message in the player like "viewing this video is restricted on certain sites. Click here to watch it on YouTube."

The problem is, I can never click that link, so I can't open the video in YT and view it. If I refresh and press and hold on the video name in the player, I don't get the "open in Safari/Chrome/etc" options like you do on other links. Is this a known issue with a fix planned?

I've seen that too. I've got the fix in my head, nothing written down yet though. Next version I hope!

echinopsis posted:

I've found I've accidentally hit the ... button like half a dozen times since the update, something I don't think I'd done before. have you cranked the sensitivity or something?

I switched to a gesture recognizer and didn't test it very well. I'll check it out!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

echinopsis posted:

oh and always, thanks and excellent job. loving you for it.

I'm so glad you posted this. I thought I was just suddenly turning clumsy or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Most recent update shuffled the contents of the "..." menu. I keep hitting "quote post URL" since that button is where "quote" used to be.

Is this an error? And will it be fixed in the next update?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

jivjov posted:

Most recent update shuffled the contents of the "..." menu. I keep hitting "quote post URL" since that button is where "quote" used to be.

Is this an error? And will it be fixed in the next update?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blah, I don't find the new order "sane" at all. I wonder if it would be at all possible to make the order user-editable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

jivjov posted:

Blah, I don't find the new order "sane" at all. I wonder if it would be at all possible to make the order user-editable...

You're just used to the old one. You'll get used to the new one. It would be a waste of time to make something that small user-configurable. :dealwithit:

• Locked thread