Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I remember back in the late 90s fireworks were being cracked down on in Colorado and driving from Denver to just across the boarder was what everyone was doing. (Remember the South Park episode about the giant snake firework?) Anyway I used to go with my uncle all the time and he'd put the big bag of fireworks underneath my seat because we always got pulled over and questioned right as we crossed back from WY into CO. I would think a similar situation will happen with weed. Of course there is still probable cause needed to search a vehicle so it may not be that productive.

Colorado MMJ is already being trafficked around the country and chances are if you are east of CO and smoking some dank nugs it's probably CO bud.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21221031/colorados-medical-pot-industry-fuels-illegal-trade-review

Couldn't they still use "I smelled weed" as probable cause in the states where you'd actually get into poo poo if they busted you carrying or transporting marijuana across state borders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Well from my experience reading police threads here on SA, the police can do and say whatever they want. Whether it holds up in court or is even effective enough to be worth their time still remains to be seen. If they have a DUI or boarder patrol style roadblock checkpoint then they are going to have to do better than "I smell weed" unless they actually smell it or they'll be searching a lot of cars, pissing off a lot of people, and coming up with nothing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Well from my experience reading police threads here on SA, the police can do and say whatever they want. Whether it holds up in court or is even effective enough to be worth their time still remains to be seen. If they have a DUI or boarder patrol style roadblock checkpoint then they are going to have to do better than "I smell weed" unless they actually smell it or they'll be searching a lot of cars, pissing off a lot of people, and coming up with nothing.

The police already have drunk driving checkposts, this will be just about as easy to implement.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

computer parts posted:

The police already have drunk driving checkposts, this will be just about as easy to implement.
Right, but those operate on the assumption that an officer can tell if someone is under the influence by interacting with them through a car window. I don't know what assumption they could use to figure out that you have a particular product in your trunk or not besides smelling it and I think most people are talking about cops lying about smelling it to gain searches.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

the ideal destination for reggae, hip-hop, jam band, and metal fests?

Reggae? Of course. Hip-hop? Sure. Jam bands? Most def. Metal fests...? :crossarms:

Just kidding! Of course, mj crosses all genres of music. Should have added easy listening jazz to the list :v:

Powercrazy posted:

Smoking is illegal at lots of public venues, weed smoking isn't going to be any different. In fact if the promoters mess it up too much, you'll start having the busy-bodies that got cigarette smoking barred from bars and clubs, start pushing to make smoking at ANY public venue illegal. So all of a sudden your Reggae festival is smoke free.

Weed smoke is particularly bad because of how pungent it is compared to (mostly filler) Cigarette smoke.

in WA, inside smoking bans are considered applicable to cannabis, but I've seen venues where its technically "not allowed" but not particularly enforced. Get caught smoking weed at a concert (because you lit up right next to a bouncer, they aren't really looking through the crowd) he'll ask nicely that you put it away.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"Speakeasy smoking" is still a thing in many Texas Bars, and I'm sure some NYC bars as well. But its tough to promote smoking with your festival if your venue is smoke free.

For example Yankee Stadium in New York is smoke free. Whenever there are concerts etc, Yankee Stadium is still smoke-free. Amazingly people still smoke (I know it blew my mind too). But then again promoters of the festival don't use the fact that weed smoking is implicitly allowed to promote the music festival. If Marijuana became fully legal in NY tomorrow, the next Reggae-fest isn't going to be promoting Weed Smoking at Yankee Stadium. Same with Denver and their venues.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

I don't know what assumption they could use to figure out that you have a particular product in your trunk or not

Skin color, age, dreadlocks and tattoos, etc

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

enbot posted:

They just sit in trees on the IL/IN border and watch plates, that's enough for PC.

Guess they have nothing to better to do near Indiana (except near Chicago I guess) because in the years my dad and I crossed the border to Missouri (once in the southern part and another across an interstate) we were never pulled over fireworks wise. Never really hid them either besides the usual walmart bags/brown paper bags. Or we got lucky, who knows?

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

Stanos posted:

Guess they have nothing to better to do near Indiana (except near Chicago I guess) because in the years my dad and I crossed the border to Missouri (once in the southern part and another across an interstate) we were never pulled over fireworks wise. Never really hid them either besides the usual walmart bags/brown paper bags. Or we got lucky, who knows?

It's the Illinois cops doing it. There's a huge concentration of places right on the NW IN border and it's fairly easy to set up a sting. I guess it's an easy way to soak up some money from fines.

e: this doesn't have much to do with how it would work on the CO borders though- they just do it because it's trivial to devote some resources for a single day they know will be huge for 'illegal crossings'.

enbot fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 13, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Right, but those operate on the assumption that an officer can tell if someone is under the influence by interacting with them through a car window. I don't know what assumption they could use to figure out that you have a particular product in your trunk or not besides smelling it and I think most people are talking about cops lying about smelling it to gain searches.

I was stopped at a (I poo poo you not) fruit checkpoint between inland Cali and vegas one night. It was like one in the morning, at the border, and they ask me "do you have any fruit in the car?" I told them I had some grapes that I'd bought in Washington, but apparently those were fine. I assume that during peak weed tourism season, this might be a thing that happens. If the stuff is securely in the trunk I don't think anyone's going to answer "yes I do" unless its in the form of "holy poo poo officer I have a joint in the trunk from WA, I'm so sorry I forgot it was there." But they might use it as an excuse to check for the smell of weed/stoned drivers.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Red_Mage posted:

I was stopped at a (I poo poo you not) fruit checkpoint between inland Cali and vegas one night. It was like one in the morning, at the border, and they ask me "do you have any fruit in the car?" I told them I had some grapes that I'd bought in Washington, but apparently those were fine. I assume that during peak weed tourism season, this might be a thing that happens. If the stuff is securely in the trunk I don't think anyone's going to answer "yes I do" unless its in the form of "holy poo poo officer I have a joint in the trunk from WA, I'm so sorry I forgot it was there." But they might use it as an excuse to check for the smell of weed/stoned drivers.

This is just a weird thing that california does to try to stop fruit flies. I seriously doubt any state is going to go out of their way to set up weed checkpoints. They probably will step up highway stops of suspicious* travelers, though.

*black/hispanic

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This is just a weird thing that california does to try to stop fruit flies. I seriously doubt any state is going to go out of their way to set up weed checkpoints. They probably will step up highway stops of suspicious* travelers, though.

*black/hispanic

Yeah, the agriculture industry in California is worth $37 billion a year just in terms of sales, not even taking into account farmers spending their money on other things in the state. Those fruit checkpoints are an attempt to protect such a lucrative industry from going tits up thanks to people importing pests, funguses and parasites from out of state. However much a police force can get from confiscating stuff from tourists trying to bringing weed out of states were it's legal, I doubt it approaches $37 billion.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I don't think it'll be as serious as all that, but if you're crossing the CO/KS border with a Grateful Dead sticker on your car you are probably going to get hassled for that broken taillight

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It is up to a year in jail for a first offense in KS, and that's for any amount, even just a roach or a tiny bud. If it's a second offense it's a mandatory minimum 10 months in jail, and the fine is up to 100k. Seriously the Sunflower state is just a bad place to be driving around with weed, especially if you have out of state plates. The only good place to be in KS with weed is Lawrence, as they have decriminalized it in the city and Lawrence is cool.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Broken Machine posted:

It is up to a year in jail for a first offense in KS, and that's for any amount, even just a roach or a tiny bud. If it's a second offense it's a mandatory minimum 10 months in jail, and the fine is up to 100k. Seriously the Sunflower state is just a bad place to be driving around with weed, especially if you have out of state plates. The only good place to be in KS with weed is Lawrence, as they have decriminalized it in the city and Lawrence is cool.

Really? :aaaaa:

I did not know this was the case in Lawrence at all. I just assumed that Lawrence inherited the nastiness proscribed by the state government. I love this loving city.

Edit: This is apparently untrue. Source. Admittedly, the cops might take it less seriously and the court is liable to be less lenient, but still...

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 14, 2013

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Really? :aaaaa:

I did not know this was the case in Lawrence at all. I just assumed that Lawrence inherited the nastiness proscribed by the state government. I love this loving city.

Edit: This is apparently untrue. Source. Admittedly, the cops might take it less seriously and the court is liable to be less lenient, but still...

If you read your article, it's a ticket. Compare a ticket with a year in jail.

e: oh that's hosed up. Anyway my source on that was a cop friend at KU, so I didn't know they could technically still give you jail time. I would state that the police in Lawrence, and the courts there are unlikely to deal with it harshly unless you're being really irresponsible about it.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 14, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Powercrazy posted:

The idea of this huge population of people who are both for legalization, but do not currently use because of arbitrary legal status, and are chomping at the bit to take a roadtrip to colorado specifically to use legally is so specific and bizarre that it's not even worth talking about.

I agree with this.

These exaggerated claims about lawful cannabis availability leading to a massive tourist economy are just as hairbrained as the predicitions that everyone is going to turn into degenerate pot addicts.

Most people have already tried pot, think it's fairly ordinary and therefore aren't going to go out of their way to get it. The last time I visited Europe I smoked a bit of hash in London and did not partake whilst in Amsterdam.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

Yea, I'm not super versed in the best way to ship drugs, but what I do know is that there is literally zero criminal risk to you as a buyer if you do it that way. The worst that will happen is you lose your money.

isn't the receipt of drugs incriminating? like if I got drugs sent to be from overseas and customs intercepted it, pretty sure i can get criminated. either that or pretend they didn't intercept then jump on me at my house in a week

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

KingEup posted:

I agree with this.

These exaggerated claims about lawful cannabis availability leading to a massive tourist economy are just as hairbrained as the predicitions that everyone is going to turn into degenerate pot addicts.

Most people have already tried pot, think it's fairly ordinary and therefore aren't going to go out of their way to get it. The last time I visited Europe I smoked a bit of hash in London and did not partake whilst in Amsterdam.

I think it was posted earlier in this thread, but it was quoted that about 30% of Amsterdams' tourism comes from people looking to consume cannabis. Lots of Americans make trips to Amsterdam mainly to smoke marijuana. Now, instead of having to come up with $5,000+ for a weeks stay in Europe, people can travel within our own country to do the same legally. Filling up the car with gas and driving to Colorado/Washington is a lot cheaper and easier than getting a passport and paying ridiculous airfaire costs, and having to deal with standing in line at security checkpoints hoping not to get cavity searched by the inept NSA guards. This also opens the doors for the cannabis consumer that normally could not afford that expensive trip to Europe.

I'm not saying that the streets are going to be packed with stoners 24/7, but I AM saying that I believe within 3-4 years of going legal, tourism in Co/Wa will probably increase around 20-30%. For the current bad economy, this is going to be a good thing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Devyl posted:

I think it was posted earlier in this thread, but it was quoted that about 30% of Amsterdams' tourism comes from people looking to consume cannabis.

I would guess that 100% of Amsterdams' tourism comes from people looking to consume alcohol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Police could just do a checkpoint with a drug dog present. If he alerts that's probably cause for search.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Police could just do a checkpoint with a drug dog present. If he alerts that's probably cause for search.

Well seeing that drug dogs are basically probable cause machines who shoot out a ton of false positives it's probably what they'll do.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

echinopsis posted:

isn't the receipt of drugs incriminating? like if I got drugs sent to be from overseas and customs intercepted it, pretty sure i can get criminated. either that or pretend they didn't intercept then jump on me at my house in a week

They'll probably get a warrant to check your next few packages and keep a closer eye on you afterwards, but they won't arrest you the first time that it happens. They leave a note stating something along the lines of "A package being shipped to this address contained contraband, but we'll be nice and assume it was someone else just using your address as a way to not incriminate themselves."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

I would guess that 100% of Amsterdams' tourism comes from people looking to consume alcohol.

I know plenty of Americans who vacation there.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

echinopsis posted:

I'm pretty sure you actually have to receive them, not just be the intended recipient: i.e. they would have to allow delivery of the package and then do a sting and swoop in and arrest you and kill your dog when you actually take the package.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Muck and Mire posted:

People will go places to do things that aren't legal where they live. Amsterdam thinks they get a third of their tourism from weedsmokers. I'm not saying Denver is going to be the American mecca for weed tourism or anything but people will definitely consider this when they make their travel plans, especially once the retail stores are open and the kinks are worked out.

A third of people might happen to use cannabis whilst they're there. I'd love to see where they're getting their figures for this.

By the way, how is the Portuguese drug tourism industry faring? I can go there and buy heroin and use it in public and the worst thing that could happen is being told I have to have a chat with a social worker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4M-oreia8

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 14, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

KingEup posted:

A third of people might happen to use cannabis whilst they're there. I'd love to see where they're getting their figures for this.

By the way, how is the Portuguese drug tourism industry faring? I can go there and buy heroin and use it in public and the worst thing that could happen is being told I have to have a chat with a social worker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4M-oreia8

You can buy it off the street (not legally) sure but you can't go into any of dozens of licensed, regulated stores to buy it like you can with weed in Amsterdam.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

You can buy it off the street (not legally) sure but you can't go into any of dozens of licensed, regulated stores to buy it like you can with weed in Amsterdam.

Okay, but what percentage of Portugal's tourism is due to drugs (like the 30% referenced for Amsterdam)?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dusseldorf posted:

Well seeing that drug dogs are basically probable cause machines who shoot out a ton of false positives it's probably what they'll do.

My brother is a cop back in Texas. He also used to be a HUGE pothead in high school before joining the Marines. I was talking to a bunch of his cop buddies when I went home for Thanksgiving last year, and the k9 cop explained to me how drug dogs work. See when a dog detects drugs, it does nothing. Probable cause. Needless to say, it's loving retarded. I also found it really really disturbing just how brainwashed all of these 20 something cops already are about weed. They literally agreed with me that it is harmless, but because it is illegal, they have no issues hauling you in and ruining your life for it. My brother, coincidentally, has also become very very aggressive in the last 3 years of being a cop.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Okay, but what percentage of Portugal's tourism is due to drugs (like the 30% referenced for Amsterdam)?

I'm not sure, but I assume a fair bit less since it is just decriminalized in Portugal and not de facto legal like weed is in Amsterdam.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is it possible that people go to Amsterdam as part of a visit to Europe and not specifically to do drugs, similar to the beer culture in Germany?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Meanwhile, back in the "what happens if Washington Passes it" front... information.

quote:

Top 10 Suggestions for Preparing to Apply for a Marijuana License
Dear Listserv Subscribers,

This notice is to give you a courtesy heads up on some things you should be considering, preparing or actively doing now if you are interested in applying for a producer, processer or retail license.

First off, the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) will not be accepting license applications until mid-September. Under the current draft rules, the WSLCB will open a 30-day application window for all license types. However, there are steps you can take now to lay the groundwork so that you are ready by September.

The below Top 10 list includes suggestions for things that you can do now to prepare. Applying for state licenses may be the easy part. Potential applicants must also be in compliance with other state and local laws and regulations.

10 (Know the Law and Rules)
The best place to start is reading the summary materials available to you on the I-502 section of our website. In addition to the full text of the initiative, there are summaries of the law and rules as well as answers to frequently asked questions.
The WSLCB issued initial draft rules on May 16, 2013. The WSLCB is scheduled to file official draft rules July 3, 2013. These rules will include the input we have received since May 16.

9 (Consider consulting an Attorney)
Have you consulted with an attorney or other business consultant on the potential risks and rewards? Marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Know your risks in advance. A state license is not insurance against federal prosecution. Governor Inslee and state Attorney General Ferguson have reached out to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to seek clarification regarding the federal government’s policy going forward for Washington and Colorado. As of this writing, the DOJ has said that it will provide clarification soon.

8 (Tightly Regulated System)
The Board has been clear from the beginning that its goal is to create a tightly controlled and regulated system to prevent diversion. There are strict regulations and subsequent associated costs. Do you have the necessary capital or financing to meet the start-up and operating costs? Under the current banking and money laundering laws, financial institutions will not lend money to marijuana-related businesses.

7 (Criminal History)
Do you and any potential partners qualify? Under the initial draft rules, the board has made allowances for two misdemeanor convictions for marijuana possession. However, an extensive or violent criminal history will likely prevent you from getting a license.

6 (State Residency)
Have you, your partners and your financiers resided in Washington State for three months? That is a requirement in both the law and the rules. The initial draft rules spell out the residency requirements and the necessary proof for application. You would need to have started living in Washington State by mid-June if you want to apply when the application process begins in mid-September.

5 (Communicate with Your Local Government)
Have you talked with your local government (county, city or port) about your plans? Are there business license requirements or zoning restrictions? Local jurisdiction requirements vary.

4 (Special Use Regulations)
Are there environmental or special use permits required? Growing marijuana is agriculture which typically has specific requirements for production, wastewater, etc. It is the same thing with processing. Depending on your process methods there may be associated state or local regulations that govern them.

3 (Location, Location, Location)
You need a location in order to apply for your license. Initiative 502 specifically prohibits locations of any license type within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of an elementary or secondary school, playground, recreation center or facility, child care center, public park, public transit center, library, or arcade that is not restricted to persons at least age 21. These restrictions can make it difficult to find an appropriate place to locate your business.

2 (No Surprises)
Under the initial draft rules, the landlord or property owner must sign an attestation that he/she is aware that the property being leased will be used for production, processing, or retailing marijuana. Have you communicated with a potential landlord about whether they are willing to sign an attestation?

1 (Learn about the Application Process)
A marijuana producer, processor or retail license will be an endorsement on your Business License which is administered by the Washington State Department of Revenue. A $250 application fee per marijuana license type must be included with the application. There may be other licensing fees that are due depending on your residence, along with the Business Licensing Services (BLS) handling fee.

Due to the special circumstances of the 30 day application window for marijuana licenses and to ensure that applications submitted on time are accounted for, the application for the marijuana licenses will not be available to be processed online. It will be paper-based only. However, you will be able to initiate the application at any Washington State Department of Revenue office.

After you submit your marijuana license application, the WSLCB will take you through the licensing process and ultimately decide whether to approve or deny your application.

Conclusion
This is the latest in our ongoing effort to help keep you informed of the WSLCB’s efforts. We hope this helps in your planning to be part of Washington’s emerging and historic recreational marijuana market. Thanks.

I don't think the WSLCB quite grasps the concept of Top 10 lists. That's more a series of general bullet points and vague suggestions. Also its important to note there is a mandatory review of the thirty day window in the draft rules. They are starting the first year with only a 30 day window for applications so they can gauge how much work is necessary and then set a more appropriate window.

Also loving lol at the prohibition on being close to an arcade. I really wish our state would at some point update its list of poo poo that children frequent.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 14, 2013

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

echinopsis posted:

What would happen is that a Postal Inspector and some cops would set up what is called a Controlled Delivery. They will intercept the package, make sure the contents are illegal, then deliver the package to the address and make the person there sign for the package. They would then wait for a bit and then execute a search warrant in hopes that you opened the package and had drugs laying about.

Most of the time they aren't doing a CD unless it's a fairly large amount, usually if it's just for personal use it will get confiscated and you will get your package but with red US Customs tape on it and no contraband inside.

EDIT: The metric fuckton of mail that comes through the US from the rest of the world makes it so that really only the low hanging fruit is what gets busted, and most of that is from tips from snitches. Mail that is all inside of the US have even less of a chance of getting busted since most of the resources the government has to bust people using the mail system to get contraband to one another goes mostly towards international mail.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Didn't the Dutch government make an effort to stop drug-tourism by licensing strictly citizen-only weed clubs last year? Could someone update me on the situation, please.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Somaen posted:

Didn't the Dutch government make an effort to stop drug-tourism by creating citizen-only weed clubs last year? Could someone update me on the situation, please.

I think it only applies to towns/cities closer to the borders. I'm pretty sure tourists can still go to coffeeshops in Amsterdam/other interior cities.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

Is it possible that people go to Amsterdam as part of a visit to Europe and not specifically to do drugs, similar to the beer culture in Germany?

I really don't get why this is such a big debate. Of course legalized weed is going to bring in some tourist money to CO, it's not even a debatable question. How much is debatable sure, but there's going to be a bunch of people that choose CO over the surrounding mountain states because of it.

To answer your question there are certainly people that only go to the Netherlands because it had easily accessible drugs. You can't see all of Europe, you can bet your rear end some people chose Amsterdam instead of somewhere in Germany because of coffee shops.

enbot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 14, 2013

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
One only has to look at things states consider worth advertising to realize 'hey if Michigan can get people to come see a lake we can probably use this to our advantage too'. It's all about marginally changing travel plans.

enbot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 14, 2013

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
There is a sizable chuck of middle class people that are uninterested in doing anything illegal, but would try legal marijuana. I am one of those people.
Now I wouldn't go vacation somewhere specifically to try it(esp. since I live in WA), but it might factor into my plans if I was looking around.
Nevada needs to legalize next, Vegas could sell this quite well.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Colorado already has tons of tourism, not just skiing either. It seems like everyone and their brother from Texas come here for camping/fishing/hunting. I'm sure lots of people will come specifically to smoke weed, people go to Vegas specifically to do things that are illegal everywhere else. IMO I hope they all get sold heavy indicas so they just pass out in the hotel and quit falling down in lift lines and driving slow on the mountain roads.

Also a few weeks back I posted about how I got a couple grams of free weed with the purchase of $30 worth of stoner junk just showing my ID. There were a few out of state cars parked in the lot, so maybe it's already started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

enbot posted:

I really don't get why this is such a big debate. Of course legalized weed is going to bring in some tourist money to CO, it's not even a debatable question. How much is debatable sure, but there's going to be a bunch of people that choose CO over the surrounding mountain states because of it.

To answer your question there are certainly people that only go to the Netherlands because it had easily accessible drugs. You can't see all of Europe, you can bet your rear end some people chose Amsterdam instead of somewhere in Germany because of coffee shops.

The reason it's a point of contention is that people seem to think marijuana is some kind of panacea for social ills. "Imagine if everyone just like smoked weed man, there wouldn't be any war :2bong: "

Of course at least one person will specifically go to Colorado to try weed legally. The world has enough people that there is at least one person that will do anything. But if you think that the legality of weed is the only thing holding back the glorious revolution, you need to be brought back down to earth.

As has been said before, everyone who wants to try weed has tried it. It isn't some kind of unknown, exotic or even novel thing. However there is a lot of baggage associated with federal drug policy, and a few states legalizing weed is just skirting the issue, and I don't think many people in this thread appreciate that fact.

I'm sure you'll find that even within Colorado a lot of retail jobs will still fire/not hire you if you test positive for weed. You will probably be fired if you are a Civil Servant (police/fire/ems), and you will most certainly be fired if you are a truck driver or construction worker. Note I'm not saying you are a high while doing any of those jobs I'm saying if you smoked within the last 2 weeks, saying during your off-time, you'll still be fired. So in that sense, legalization hasn't done anything.

• Locked thread