Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

ImpactVector posted:

Yup, I made this mistake. While it was fairly easy to get pretty much anywhere on the map by just driving through fields, it was a pain to go do scavenging runs since even with a car it takes time to get anywhere.

My experiences with driving through fields always end up with me totalling my car from driving into tiny rocks and into the loving fences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

My experiences with driving through fields always end up with me totalling my car from driving into tiny rocks and into the loving fences.

The fences in the middle of bushes are the absolute worst.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

There are a few routes that are relatively rock and fence free, but yeah, I totaled a couple of cars that way as well.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
One thing I just noticed is that if you spend 1 fuel barrel to increase trap radius around an outpost, it will increase the radius for every outpost you have.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Yup, I made this mistake. While it was fairly easy to get pretty much anywhere on the map by just driving through fields, it was a pain to go do scavenging runs since even with a car it takes time to get anywhere.

After the patch drops I'm going to restart. My plan is to completely clean out the first town from the church then move straight to the trucking company.

The only problem with the 'completely clean out the first town' plan is that the church has a loving tiny storage capacity, and any materials over the storage limit are lost on the next IRL day, so you'll need to do all your scavenging in one session and then rush down to the truck depot and quickly repair the storage area there.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mister Bates posted:

The only problem with the 'completely clean out the first town' plan is that the church has a loving tiny storage capacity, and any materials over the storage limit are lost on the next IRL day, so you'll need to do all your scavenging in one session and then rush down to the truck depot and quickly repair the storage area there.
Hmm. Good call. Maybe it'd be worth it to move to the residence down the street from the church first?

Or can you drop rucksacks off at outposts? I've not tried it. That'd make it pretty easy to clear out too if you just made an outpost in the middle of town.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nope, you have to take rucksacks back to base.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best thing about the farmhouse is that all your missing people spawn at the barn across the street so i takes literally 5 minutes or less to get them.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I was showing the game to a friend tonight and explaining various things, and because I was helping Sam with a one-screamer shed infestation I wasn't too worried, as Ed and Sam are both powered up in my game, 2 of my core 4. But just outside the infestation were 3 hordes, who I decided to take care of by showing some various things. It got a little hairy but we came out fine. I head to the shed and taunt and toss a Molly at the door, when Sam runs right into the fire. Cue a big un lumbering around from the back of the shed where he shouldn't have been. I tried to run off with Sam, but he grabbed her and started biting. I've run Ed back and am frantically crowbarring it, but in front of my overconfident show off eyes he tears her in half. Ed's out of everything and now I have an infestation and a big un close to home, no building to hide in, and a dead ally. I run off back to base and gear up, but the big un survives the fougasse somehow and Ed's poo poo at guns, and the screamers started going. I ended up having to get the big un with a truck and the screamers with another fougasse. Then Ed limped home with sams rucksack. I was really mad at myself for messing up so bad while someone was watching, and losing one of my favorites. RIP sweep kick Sam .

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I left the Kwik E Mart near Snyder's uncleared and outside the radius of my outposts and every time I have to train someone or give them a pep talk, that's where it spawns the objective. Really saves some time. Everyone who goes missing seems to either hole up in a warehouse a block away or in the cul-de-sac in the southwest.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

After wasting a lot of materials I have discovered that upgrading to munitions shop allows you to make explosives and incendiaries. It requires a chemistry expert. I was hoping it would allow you to make bullets.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

skoolmunkee posted:

I was really mad at myself for messing up so bad while someone was watching, and losing one of my favorites. RIP sweep kick Sam .

Yeah, but that's like, the most epic demonstration of the game and how bad poo poo can go wrong if you're not careful. That's what I like about this game, it's not very hard if you're careful, but if you get cocky, poo poo can go south quick.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

My Maya went missing for 3 days real time and I finally get the quest to rescue her today. I drive her back to base, she rests in the medical tent, and 5 minutes later she is missing again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A cooldown on missing persons would be great.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Lotish posted:

A cooldown on missing persons would be great.

Yea that's for sure. It sucks because Maya is my #2 but I have been playing a little recklessly by almost always using Marcus the whole time.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My Maya disappeared like two days after I started the game and I never even got a message about it. She was my main character, too!

The first time I noticed was after the pastor got sick so I'm wondering if he didn't turn and kill a couple people without me noticing.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

How are edged weapons after the perk has been leveled up quite a bit? The lack of variety is what keeps me away from them but I've realized that anything can kill a zed fairly effectively so it doesn't matter what you're using.

Personally, the crowbar has been my go-to because I have a nice system developed for knocking zeds down and bashing their skulls in. I've been having extra fun with just mashing on Y to finish them off instead of doing the LB+Y special. Combine this with a constant barrage of taunting and it makes me think that my survivors are a bit more terrifying than even the zeds as they rampage through the town.

e: golf club is awesome too but it was fairly fragile and I haven't seen any outside of a survivor who joined me with one already.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 14, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A survivor with a high Edged Weapons skill and a wakizashi can take on multiple hordes single-handedly, popping off heads and limbs with every swing. Even a machete or kukri will kick rear end pretty effectively once they've leveled up Edged enough.

I only use them on people with Reflexes, though - edged weapons have a low Stamina cost, which synergizes nicely with their increased stamina regen rate and greater mobility to make them lightning-fast mob killers. Edged weapons are also almost completely silent; blunt and heavy weapons are pretty quiet too but they still make a bit of noise. However, edged weapons are extremely fragile from what I've seen, so you need to be careful while using them.

My favorite weapon so far has been the shovel in the hands of Marcus. It kills zeds like no other and makes a satisfying 'clang!' Crowbar is pretty nice too.

For favorite gun, it's the 10/22 hands down. Sure, .22 isn't a very powerful round but it will still down a zed instantly with a headshot, it's got decent range, a fairly good magazine capacity, it's semi-automatic, and even without a silencer it's still pretty quiet. Plus, .22 is super loving plentiful if you trade with other survivor groups regularly. The Grange always has some, as does the Courthouse if you get your Trust up high enough with them (the Courthouse can also get you some extremely high-quality silencers if you play your cards right).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Nope, you have to take rucksacks back to base.

You can just dump your rucksacks inside the compound if you're worried about losing the extras when the day changes over. Getting 12 people and 50 materials to move to Snyder is really quite easy.

By far the best heavy weapon I've found is the axe since it's so light in comparison to the other weapons in that class. With the spin move you're just popping off heads left and right.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Party Plane Jones posted:

You can just dump your rucksacks inside the compound if you're worried about losing the extras when the day changes over. Getting 12 people and 50 materials to move to Snyder is really quite easy.

By far the best heavy weapon I've found is the axe since it's so light in comparison to the other weapons in that class. With the spin move you're just popping off heads left and right.

I'd recommend not dumping stuff inside your safehouse. I brought some medicine and dumped it outside the church since I didn't want to overstock us and someone just grabbed it and threw it in, so your guys will definitely grab it if it's inside the compound.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

At least it's assuring that rucksacks stick around indefinitely. I ditched on in the woods about six real time days ago and it's still there.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Welp, turns out the simulation doesn't stop after a day of no playing. Hadn't had time to play since Sunday so I came back to find my resources were mostly gone and infestations were everywhere. Then my cook blew himself up ten feet from the gate after being rescued for the tenth time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I came back after four and things hadn't advanced more than a day. I think you may have just had a bad day. Very very bad. :stare:

Has anyone had any luck getting .50 cal ammunition? I've gotten a few guns and would really like to use the .50 Anvil but I can't find any bullets besides what's already in the cylinder.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

losonti tokash posted:

Welp, turns out the simulation doesn't stop after a day of no playing. Hadn't had time to play since Sunday so I came back to find my resources were mostly gone and infestations were everywhere. Then my cook blew himself up ten feet from the gate after being rescued for the tenth time.

Really? I've not played for.... about a week, and I loaded it up today. Things are not that bad, about a days worth of drama.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting .50 cal ammunition? I've gotten a few guns and would really like to use the .50 Anvil but I can't find any bullets besides what's already in the cylinder.

.50 is absurdly rare, you'll generally only find it in the police station at Marshall or in a couple of other buildings in that area, or at the fairgrounds.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Ugh, I want the patch to drop soon. I really found so many of the bugs annoying, yet the game play was fun.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

This is starting to get stupid. I rescue Maya again but its one of those defend the house while zombies pour in rescues. I get knocked down and have to revive myself for the first time. I make it back to camp and switch to Ed because both Maya and Marcus are injured. 5 minutes later Marcus is now missing...

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Kymera posted:

This is starting to get stupid. I rescue Maya again but its one of those defend the house while zombies pour in rescues. I get knocked down and have to revive myself for the first time. I make it back to camp and switch to Ed because both Maya and Marcus are injured. 5 minutes later Marcus is now missing...

That's what I'm talking about, I could never get to main storyline missions because ultimately I ended up running around saving all my dumb survivors who decide to take a stroll outside of the home base constantly.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Korlac posted:

That's what I'm talking about, I could never get to main storyline missions because ultimately I ended up running around saving all my dumb survivors who decide to take a stroll outside of the home base constantly.

Yea I wouldn't even bother looking for them at this point if it wasn't my main character and my 2nd main character who were constantly going missing.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Lotish posted:

I came back after four and things hadn't advanced more than a day. I think you may have just had a bad day. Very very bad. :stare:

Well, I'm just guessing. I left with 90 food and -12 per day and came back to 40 food and 1 ammo.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Coyo7e linked something on the forums which said the patch is likely tomorrow. I'll have a bit of time this weekend so keeping my fingers crossed. I hope the radio to find resources gets fixed too, I now have zero ammo after having about ten when I played two days ago, don't know what the hell happened. Ironically I have about 200 rounds of every caliber in my stash. :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Korlac posted:

Ugh, I want the patch to drop soon. I really found so many of the bugs annoying, yet the game play was fun.

Yeah, I stopped playing completely since it just just too annoying having to hunt for missing survivors when I trying to get rid of infestations or do story missions.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

losonti tokash posted:

Well, I'm just guessing. I left with 90 food and -12 per day and came back to 40 food and 1 ammo.

You can only store so many over night. Without a warehouse it's 50. Extra is wasted.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, I think each base has a cap. You can go over the cap but all of the overage will disappear in some set amount of time, I forget how long.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Alan, my forest ranger wanna-be drill sergeant suddenly went sick. He's an rear end in a top hat, but actually great at getting poo poo done and gathering supplies. He actually just killed my pastor who was sick with the black plague and was probably going to die anyways - but everyone got really mad that he shot him in the middle of the church without consulting anyone. Seriously, I came back and everybody was freaking out. He said "Well he was going to turn, better him than us dammit!"

Anyways, Alan is sick and my group is getting smaller. My boy Charlie got sick and I took him to the woods and smashed his skull. Pastor got killed by Alan for being sick, and now finally Alan is also sick. I'm not sure why he doesn't just take meds or go see Doc, who is more than willing to help my group, but I now have another Mercy Killing mission on Alan.

Are mercy killing missions pretty much the final straw? Do I need to take this helpful rear end in a top hat to the woods and crush him with my mighty Marcus boot?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Bates posted:

For favorite gun, it's the 10/22 hands down. Sure, .22 isn't a very powerful round but it will still down a zed instantly with a headshot, it's got decent range, a fairly good magazine capacity, it's semi-automatic, and even without a silencer it's still pretty quiet. Plus, .22 is super loving plentiful if you trade with other survivor groups regularly. The Grange always has some, as does the Courthouse if you get your Trust up high enough with them (the Courthouse can also get you some extremely high-quality silencers if you play your cards right).
You can silence a .22? Aren't .22 rounds hypersonic?

Knightmare posted:

Coyo7e linked something on the forums which said the patch is likely tomorrow. I'll have a bit of time this weekend so keeping my fingers crossed. I hope the radio to find resources gets fixed too, I now have zero ammo after having about ten when I played two days ago, don't know what the hell happened. Ironically I have about 200 rounds of every caliber in my stash. :v:
That ended up just being some dipshit with the name "stateofdecay" which I mistakenly assumed was an official account until I saw his account "age" was "FNG". :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 14, 2013

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

coyo7e posted:

You can silence a .22? Aren't .22 rounds hypersonic?

I own a suppressed Ruger MK III, you should shoot in your back yard in a crowded neighborhood and it would sound about as loud as shooting a crossbow. Not that I would do either of these things in a crowded neighborhood of course.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nerolus posted:

I own a suppressed Ruger MK III, you should shoot in your back yard in a crowded neighborhood and it would sound about as loud as shooting a crossbow. Not that I would do either of these things in a crowded neighborhood of course.
Cool, how does it fire at a target past arm's length or so? Doesn't the suppressor reduce the speed to subsonic? It would seem like a .22 wouldn't have enough mass to be effective at any range like that. I'm genuinely curious.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

They should get rid of the offline simulation entirely. Having a bunch of poo poo happen while you weren't playing doesn't improve the game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
This guy has an awesome glitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy9UH2thvc

Interesting that the Xbox can render so many zombies at once.

• Locked thread