Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I see what you mean in the painting in the second, it's more from the shadow adjustment and lens than sharpening (which was default LR + export screen normal sharpening).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

McMadCow posted:

From last week.

In the Stream Again by McMadCow, on Flickr

This owns.

Reichstag posted:

Those are really harsh and I don't know if that's what you're going for, based on pose and composition.

Pretty much this. The colors are unpleasant to look at.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Pretty much this. The colors are unpleasant to look at.

Huh, could you expand upon that? Too much saturation, contrast? I understand the issues with sharpness/bokeh but never had a mention of my colors being bad.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The contrast is too much. Everything is so saturated and strained that it looks totally at odds with the neutral content.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, looking again on my iPad and they definitely are blown out more than my PC. Don't know how my monitor got so far off, time to recalibrate.

To explain the goal more, I do want a kind of bright harshness of direct sunlight street portraits, but not quite this much.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
There's a big difference between bright 7pm and bright 1pm.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CarrotFlowers posted:

Actually that brings up something I've been meaning to ask. Living in Canada means we're super limited on daylight hours in the winter. What kind of setup produces similar light? This Profoto Giant plus a AB800? Some kind of giant softbox?

I would just shoot a strobe into a butterfly / silk diffusion panel that's about the size of the window you want to replicate. You don't have as much control as you would with a softbox or giant parabolic umbrella, but it's cheap and can work pretty well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I forgot to post this photo a few weeks back, one of my favorites recently.

IMG_0172 by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

Actually that brings up something I've been meaning to ask. Living in Canada means we're super limited on daylight hours in the winter. What kind of setup produces similar light? This Profoto Giant plus a AB800? Some kind of giant softbox?

A Giant is like 4-5K so I tend to rule those out.

Big octas/umbrellas are good. If you're inside a sneaky tactic is always to bounce lights against the wall or ceiling.

But yeah that's the ultimate catch 22, to really emulate natural light you're looking at an obscene amount of equipment.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

A Giant is like 4-5K so I tend to rule those out.

Big octas/umbrellas are good. If you're inside a sneaky tactic is always to bounce lights against the wall or ceiling.

But yeah that's the ultimate catch 22, to really emulate natural light you're looking at an obscene amount of equipment.

Cripes that's a lot. I ended up bouncing for the later shoots when the sun went down, but it's not quite the same. might just have to stick to daylight hours.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Paragon8 posted:

...obscene amount of equipment.

For fake window light, why not just put a white sheet over the window and put a strobe outside pointed at it? As far as I understand this will be exactly the same as the diffuse light coming from the sky (except for the colour obviously).

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

To imitate window light you just need a relatively large, soft source. Because people are pretty big, you need a relatively big source, whether that's a giant octo or a strong light bouncing off a large white wall. The other major thing is that it should be at least somewhat directional, since the sun acts that way too. If you want to imitate sunlight for a headshot, it's a lot easier than for the whole body, or a whole scene, that's why film crews use those hideously large lamps. But it's really just a matter of size, then controlling the quality of light to match whatever type of sunlight you'd like.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, not to mention if you're on a client shoot you're trying to get everything as consistent as possible. I remember seeing a really nice natural looking shot for Armani jeans or something and I think oh I could do that pretty easily. I look at the BTS video and it's a fake window/apartment built on a huge sound stage.

Nothing beats natural light but the reason why you're spending huge amounts to emulate it is that perfect natural light you're getting maybe 10-20 minutes, and that works for some productions that go out for a week to a resort hotel and shoot two hours a day at 6am and then again at 8pm but for others you've only got a day with the talent so you need to guarantee you get the same light the maximum amount of time.

Profoto giants are super gorgeous light and basically as soon as you have the money and space to use them, it's easy mode.

You can get pretty much 80% there with low-mid tier lighting but there's just a whole other level beyond that.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So a couple of weeks back, I had the opportunity to use a restaurant which belonged to a friend of a friend as a location. The place was closing down, and I had one day in it before demolition started.

I decided to try something I had never done before. I called on a number of friends, rented some lights, and tried to see what I could pull together. I had basically three days between this opportunity coming up and the shoot date, so everything was very, very tight.

When I look back at these images now, I see all the things I didn't shoot, and all of the opportunities I missed. The shoot was chaotic and energetic, with people coming and going throughout the day. But I also view the entire thing as a massive learning experience for me. I'd never tried anything like this before; shooting, working with assistants, a MUA, and a dozen friends/models. Next time: more thought beforehand, more planning, more focus on the execution — lessons I couldn't have learned without doing this first.

Sorry about the wall of photos.

The Last Dinner Party 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 4 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 5 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 6 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 7 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 8 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 9 by thetzar, on Flickr

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Pretty awesome concept! Who is the scary-looking fellow in 6 and 9 supposed to be?

As I was looking through the set I thought it would have been fun to have images 1 and 2 be of your evil chef, image 6 be of the same chef (with the same hat) but in half-ripped clothing, and then the last image be the present image, maybe with the chef's hat off but still in frame somewhere.

Really though, I dig the work!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Two more portraits today, not crazy about the light in the first but it was the best available in his shop.

Patrick by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

August by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

thetzar posted:

So a couple of weeks back, I had the opportunity to use a restaurant which belonged to a friend of a friend as a location. The place was closing down, and I had one day in it before demolition started.

I decided to try something I had never done before. I called on a number of friends, rented some lights, and tried to see what I could pull together. I had basically three days between this opportunity coming up and the shoot date, so everything was very, very tight.

When I look back at these images now, I see all the things I didn't shoot, and all of the opportunities I missed. The shoot was chaotic and energetic, with people coming and going throughout the day. But I also view the entire thing as a massive learning experience for me. I'd never tried anything like this before; shooting, working with assistants, a MUA, and a dozen friends/models. Next time: more thought beforehand, more planning, more focus on the execution — lessons I couldn't have learned without doing this first.

The Last Dinner Party 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 4 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 5 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 6 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 7 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 8 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 9 by thetzar, on Flickr

That is so frigging awesome. Saw this on my flickr feed today and was all :golfclap:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

thetzar posted:

Pretty awesome results.

Bottom Liner posted:

Two more portraits today, not crazy about the light in the first but it was the best available in his shop.

Post is much improved on the first. Still seems a little harsh on the second.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's funny because I felt the opposite about them, the second being pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be when I shot it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

That's funny because I felt the opposite about them, the second being pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be when I shot it.

Weird. It just doesn't have a whole lot of contrast range. There are dark darks and light lights and nothing really in between.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

The Elinchrom 74" Indirect Octa is a fantastic, relatively affordable, labor-free stand-in for north light or window light. They show up used on eBay time and again and end around the $500 mark, but shipping up to Canada might be a killer.

The price differential (new or used) between the Octa and a Giant/Para is there for a reason, though, and that reason is build quality. Elinchrom's is typical half-assed Eli, but as is usually the case, you can make up for most of the deficiencies with off-the-shelf grip gear. Light's absolutely gorgeous regardless.

(Incidentally, the whole reason Eli makes a Profoto-to-Eli adapter is because a number of big names wanted to use the Indirect Octa with their Profoto lights.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 14, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Molten Llama posted:

The Elinchrom 74" Indirect Octa is a fantastic, relatively affordable, labor-free stand-in for north light or window light. They show up used on eBay time and again and end around the $500 mark, but shipping up to Canada might be a killer.

Go big or go home.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

And why not, when the 13' model's $200 cheaper than the 7' and already in stock? :v:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

It's probably an issue of white balancing for the indoor lighting vs the window light, but the oranges in the background are a sickly yellow. I find that keep looking past the subject instead of at him. I really like the second shot.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

this guy rules

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

The price differential (new or used) between the Octa and a Giant/Para is there for a reason, though, and that reason is build quality. Elinchrom's is typical half-assed Eli, but as is usually the case, you can make up for most of the deficiencies with off-the-shelf grip gear. Light's absolutely gorgeous regardless.

(Incidentally, the whole reason Eli makes a Profoto-to-Eli adapter is because a number of big names wanted to use the Indirect Octa with their Profoto lights.)

Yeah, the indirects are pretty nice if you have the space. Elinchrom in general make some of the best softboxes on the market which I'd hesitate to call half assed (other things they do certainly can be). IMO Elinchrom is probably the best of the mid-tier lighting companies.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
There's a company here in Calgary called StrobePro and they have lights and a 60" softbox for cheap. I know what you pay usually determines the quality so I'm not expecting stellar results, but I've heard good things and I'm wondering if it'll be worth it just to check out.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd still say a big silk can do what you need in a lot of situations, for a lot less money. And if you live somewhere with even a small rental house you should be able to get a 6' butterfly for $20 a day or less to try it out.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Straight outta Gleaming the Cube. Paper.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, the indirects are pretty nice if you have the space. Elinchrom in general make some of the best softboxes on the market which I'd hesitate to call half assed (other things they do certainly can be). IMO Elinchrom is probably the best of the mid-tier lighting companies.

The mounting hardware's flimsy (easily replaced with a knuckle), the teeth grind off (knuckle), I've personally broken two aiming rods, and they continue to have periodic delamination problems. Don't get me wrong—the output isn't half-assed. The light and the overall design are absolutely fantastic, especially considering the money. My next $1200 is earmarked for an Octa. There are just a bunch of rough edges on build and components.

See also: The Rotalux I had to completely disassemble and reassemble on set instead of popping it open because the body wasn't sewn correctly. And the rib that had to be gaffed in place on a brand new speedring because its locking collar didn't work.

Maybe they just send all the QA rejects to the US market, but it's widely understood here that you're trading build quality for amazing and inexpensive light quality.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Took this of my brother a while back and just had a second look and realized I kinda like it.

AJK_0411.jpg by SAFistLips, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

The mounting hardware's flimsy (easily replaced with a knuckle), the teeth grind off (knuckle), I've personally broken two aiming rods, and they continue to have periodic delamination problems. Don't get me wrong—the output isn't half-assed. The light and the overall design are absolutely fantastic, especially considering the money. My next $1200 is earmarked for an Octa. There are just a bunch of rough edges on build and components.

See also: The Rotalux I had to completely disassemble and reassemble on set instead of popping it open because the body wasn't sewn correctly. And the rib that had to be gaffed in place on a brand new speedring because its locking collar didn't work.

Maybe they just send all the QA rejects to the US market, but it's widely understood here that you're trading build quality for amazing and inexpensive light quality.

Maybe. I am too used to bowens crap to think elinchrom is lovely.

Anyway pictures as this isn't the lighting thread.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

I very much like the first and last of these. The middle two seem a bit straightforward -- well executed certainly -- but not something that grabs my attention. The pose in the first one is great, and I dig the harsh-light thing. The fourth is appropriately intense, though perhaps slightly duckfacy.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, that first one is rad, but I'm not feeling any energy from the rest.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

Pretty awesome concept! Who is the scary-looking fellow in 6 and 9 supposed to be?

As I was looking through the set I thought it would have been fun to have images 1 and 2 be of your evil chef, image 6 be of the same chef (with the same hat) but in half-ripped clothing, and then the last image be the present image, maybe with the chef's hat off but still in frame somewhere.

Really though, I dig the work!

Thank you. I now really wish I had thought of the hat thing — I would have done it slightly differently, but it's a great idea, and a good way to deal with the very real problem I had with models coming and going through the day.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just doing some headshots in my pro studio today.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Just doing some headshots in my pro studio today.

Is that a couch cushion backdrop? That's amazing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's two couch cushions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Paragon8 posted:

Lighting is pictures :colbert:

Sort the vignette / light falloff in the corners of this one and it'll be solid.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 15, 2013