Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

omg chael crash posted:

So, quick and dirty KR:F tips? Are there any towers that are just straight useless? How about super useful? Is building a few barracks a dumb idea?

Play my game for me, I guess.

If it's available to you, also build a necromancer tower at chokes. Even without upgrades it should spawn a shitton of cannon fodder. You will also need both artillery towers to deal with teleporters and invisibility dudes. The fire damages and dots the invisible guys, and the rockets hit anything on the screen, including stragglers that sneak through your choke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Rooster posted:

You will also need both artillery towers to deal with teleporters and invisibility dudes.

Axethrower silence totems stop those jerks from teleporting/going invisible, too. Axethrower totems in general are awesome.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Has anybody figured out how big a bonus you get for the last Mage tower upgrade?

Earthquake artillery tower was much more obviously useful once I realized that the mega-drill is an instant kill attack, like the disintegration ray from the original.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Apocron posted:

With KotOR coming out is there even a slim chance we might one day get Mass Effect?

Also, the first Mass Effect was done in partnership between EA, Bioware, and Microsoft. MS would probably object.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Emron posted:

For what it's worth, this thread made me try ipacross, which introduced me to a whole style of puzzle I'd never tried. Which I now can't get enough of. And it's free now. So...you know. Go get it.

If you like picross you should check out apps from Conceptis. They've got a huge set of picross puzzles but I really like their fill-a-pix app. It's like a combination of minesweeper and picross. They've got slither link too which can be kind of hard to find.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
Trying again: Is Pro Strategy Football still the best option as far as (American) football games? I played Big Win Football but wasn't really that impressed with it.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Thwomp posted:

Also, the first Mass Effect was done in partnership between EA, Bioware, and Microsoft. MS would probably object.
The first one came to PS3 after 5 years so it's not impossible for it to happen.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Thwomp posted:

Microsoft sells cloud servers with specific iOS support. I'm sure they wouldn't stress too much over it. The money still spends.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009

ZerodotJander posted:

Has anybody figured out how big a bonus you get for the last Mage tower upgrade?

Earthquake artillery tower was much more obviously useful once I realized that the mega-drill is an instant kill attack, like the disintegration ray from the original.

The last mage tower upgrade adds one point of damage to all towers for every new level 1 you add; not sure what the impact is for higher levels. It's not an amazing power, but it can help.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Do you get anything from killing it? I know fighting the other one in the Silver in the Dark quest gets you the mace.

Nope, but you do get a bracelet (that gives +4 defense (or damage, I forget) against darknessborn) for completing the other new quest, Silver something.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Thwomp posted:

well the mass effect was actually a deal between Bioware (owned by Elevation Partners at the time) and Microsoft.
EA didn't finish the deal with Elevation Partners until Mass Effect was already in stores. They announced it a month before the game shipped, but it took months for the deal to go through.

also, microsoft has been out of the picture for a while, they published the first mass effect but they never owned the IP.

it is possible that Mass Effect would come to iOS at some point, but it'd probably be a technical nightmare to get it to both control properly and function well.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

yulia tymotebow posted:

Trying again: Is Pro Strategy Football still the best option as far as (American) football games? I played Big Win Football but wasn't really that impressed with it.

It's the only American Football game I've even seen recommendations for. It's pretty fun, but you have to realize you play basically play the coach and not the quarterback. Also the play book is very simple compared to Madden and what not - no Dime defense, no Pistol offense, etc, just the basics like Near/Far and general inside/outside runs. I don't regret my purchase but I definitely wish there were more variety of plays

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PFlats posted:

edit:
Onion Knights are a bad joke. No, Onion Knights are poo poo. Onion Knights never earn experience. If you want to actually get the great stat growth, you have to master 16 other classes (not counting Squire or Chemist) which will take 10s of hours of grinding. Then you have to breed a specific incredibly rare monster, which can give your onion knight exactly one level. This permanently kills the monster in the process. You'll have to breed another one to get a second level.

Never use Onion Knights.

To make this a bit clearer to people:

It is faster to level in a class with high growth for your desired job (ie: Monk for phys atk/hp) and then delevel it in a job(use the trap in the desert) with poo poo growth for those stats (summoner) then relevel it as a monk than it is to grind up until Onion Knight stops being poo poo and then breed those rare piggies for their sacrifice skill. Back on the PSX a friend who was huge in to FFT did this like 2 or 3 times on Ramza and had some unholy incarnation of destruction as a result but it's not like he needed it, just like you don't need to use Snapdragon or Retissue to beat your way through Tactics Ogre unless you want to trivialize the entire game.

Shwqa posted:

This is amazing. I was hoping the game wasn't dead yet. I can't wait to play it.

Edit: regrading FFT, onion knight and black knight are cruel jokes. By the time you make those classes useful you could have beaten the game multiple times (including the time grinding other broke combinations) . I don't know why the Japanese love stupidly long grinds or drop rate less than 1%, but square is more than happy to put those in their games.

I unlocked Dark Knight by grinding back and forth against Gafgarion instead of opening the castle gate. He kept using his sword skills to drain me and I'd drain him back (for more HP) with the Blood Sword I stole from him earlier. If either of us got low I'd just use Chakra once or twice.

I was also around level 40 from all the grinding, and random encounters with level 35+ human npcs meant my thief (with steal) picked off a few sets of equipment that you didn't normally get until late in chapter 3 or early chapter 4 if not later.

Avoid grinding when possible on your first playthrough. Save across 2-3 slots at a minimum. If you're going in to a castle for multiple fights make drat certain you have a backup save (or two) from outside of it. If you ask in the FF megathread there's no shortage of infor for FFT and the other FF games on iOS. Plus if you have FF5 you can/should take part in the Four Job Fiesta:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549760

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

There are definitely more perk in sword and glory now. Also I lost to someone with crazy high defense, I could break it fast enough because it only took a second or so before it was out of the red.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Superschaf posted:

[Deep Dungeons of Depth Death Doom] Yeah I feel the same way. I wish the talent tree opened up new mechanics that differentiate the classes more, but in the end it's mostly just stats upgrades.
Progression also seemed really (slow), unless you get a lot more gold once you buy the rest of the dungeons.

Fastest way was just playing the starter dungeon over and over. The joke was all the dungeons gave more or less similar amounts of gold, but you could blitz through the first dungeon really fast.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Warhammer quest is broken on iOS 7. Regretting the upgrade now! I just bought the game too. So far nothing else has been bugged

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Not to resurrect the argument, but if people could not make walls-of-text that don't identify the game they are talking about and don't quote anyone, I'd be grateful. With all four currently discussed games being fantasy, I just skip what's being said unless I can tell from the first sentence which game it is. I have Sword and Glory, and could be talked into that tower defense game, and possibly WHQ (the other game is FFT, which I didn't enjoy on PS1, so I'm not going to get it).

Sorry for the wall of text, I want to have a reason to like these games, but I have no idea what game is being talked about in half the posts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kaizoku posted:

Not to resurrect the argument, but if people could not make walls-of-text that don't identify the game they are talking about and don't quote anyone, I'd be grateful. With all four currently discussed games being fantasy, I just skip what's being said unless I can tell from the first sentence which game it is. I have Sword and Glory, and could be talked into that tower defense game, and possibly WHQ (the other game is FFT, which I didn't enjoy on PS1, so I'm not going to get it).

Sorry for the wall of text, I want to have a reason to like these games, but I have no idea what game is being talked about in half the posts.

Amen to this. It gets way confusing sometimes.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Kaizoku posted:

If you consider what you wrote to be a "wall of text," maybe you should stick to Twitter feeds. And has already been discussed, if you think a game warrants it's own thread, go make one with a good enough OP to bait the conversations into it.

The whining about game conversations is more of an annoyance than the conversations themselves (which I've actually found quite informative and picked up a few new tricks from, but I agree that's not always the case)

Edit: I understand you're asking people to identify their posts by game title in the first line of their post or something but... drat dude, seriously? How much do you expect this thread to cater to your stunted attention span?

Edit2: ...or maybe I'm just getting old. Whatever. Now I'm whining too, goddammit.

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 14, 2013

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.
Finally defeated the foreign champion in Sword and Glory (kind of). Was doing well on the platform with well timed Shield Bashes but I did get knocked off. Its either bugged with this update or I got lucky because I didn't die and was able to kill him on the ground. Made it to level 13 on the same playthrough after boosting to 4 and using all the +glory gear and perks. Was a little disappointed to find there's basically three or four quests that it flips through until you finally die. Still cannot figure out how to get into the inner circle of the Eagle council.

RIP Morningthaw the Legendary Trader and your 174k Glory

edit: also unlocked "Bracelet of Light" which gives +4 dominance vs Darkness. prolly got that from doing the Some Awful Thing quest.

clams fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 14, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Digger-254 posted:

Edit: I understand you're asking people to identify their posts by game title in the first line of their post or something but... drat dude, seriously? How much do you expect this thread to cater to your stunted attention span?

Edit2: ...or maybe I'm just getting old. Whatever. Now I'm whining too, goddammit.

No, he's right. Identifying what the gently caress you're talking about in a catch-all games thread is just good sense.

I have /had no idea what game has an onion knight and black knight. Could have been KR:F, WHQ or FFT.

Speaking of which, is an onion knight a real thing?? I know in Dark Souls there was what people referred to as an "Onion Knight" but he has an onion-looking helmet. I've now heard that term regarding at least 2 other games. Off to google I go!

[Edit] or it could have been Sword & Glory!!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm gonna give this Simpsons thing a go and I can't find a thread for it so if you are down to pound f2p donuts add Rexicon2

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Anyone care to comment on how Baldur's Gate controls on an iPad Mini?

I'm familiar with the game, having played through the "trilogy" years ago on my PC and it seems like it'd be fun on the tablet but I'm curious if the smaller screen makes the game more difficult to play. I seem to recall reviews complaining about the controls on the full size iPad.

The sale prize is near that sweet point...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

Anyone care to comment on how Baldur's Gate controls on an iPad Mini?

I'm familiar with the game, having played through the "trilogy" years ago on my PC and it seems like it'd be fun on the tablet but I'm curious if the smaller screen makes the game more difficult to play. I seem to recall reviews complaining about the controls on the full size iPad.

The sale prize is near that sweet point...

I have it for a normal pad and cannot imagine playing it on a smaller device. I find myself using a stylus most of the time as trying to do some of the finer tapping required is hard with my fingers.

If there was a way to customize the UI it would be amazing but I assume that is a pretty huge thing to try and do. I guess I feel that the button layout is not really optimized for a touch screen and at times it can be infuriating to try and manage a full party in a large battle.

While I do love the game and think it is a good port, ultimately I find it too annoying to play on the pad. The controls are very good all things considered but are still not really a decent replacement for a mouse and KB. I will say doing a solo/small party run is working out better but even so I tend to get annoyed after about 30-45m with it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Juc66 posted:

it is possible that Mass Effect would come to iOS at some point, but it'd probably be a technical nightmare to get it to both control properly and function well.

Didn't stop Rockstar with GTA :v:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I was wondering if they might port any more awesome modern RPGs besides KotOR. Maybe Jade Empire could work? I've never played it though so it might be too action based. Fable was XBox generation wasn't it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

No, he's right. Identifying what the gently caress you're talking about in a catch-all games thread is just good sense.

I have /had no idea what game has an onion knight and black knight. Could have been KR:F, WHQ or FFT.

Speaking of which, is an onion knight a real thing?? I know in Dark Souls there was what people referred to as an "Onion Knight" but he has an onion-looking helmet. I've now heard that term regarding at least 2 other games. Off to google I go!

[Edit] or it could have been Sword & Glory!!

Onion Knight is an old final fantasy thing from the third game, the starting class was Onion Kid and it sucked and the ultimate class was Onion Knight, it's reappeared in a few games. The reference is to FFT in this thread.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea how you guys get to so high a level in Sword and Glory; I can hardly ever get past level four or five. I always end up fighting some burly dude with seven hearts or so who proceeds to smash my face in. Maybe I'm just bad at combat, though.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Apocron posted:

I was wondering if they might port any more awesome modern RPGs besides KotOR. Maybe Jade Empire could work? I've never played it though so it might be too action based. Fable was XBox generation wasn't it.

they'd have an easier time with dragon age 1 if anything, Jade Empire was probably even more actiony than mass effect.
I wouldn't expect it any time soon though, but maybe when the ipads and iphones have a lot more memory available on them.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Inadequately posted:

I have no idea how you guys get to so high a level in Sword and Glory; I can hardly ever get past level four or five. I always end up fighting some burly dude with seven hearts or so who proceeds to smash my face in. Maybe I'm just bad at combat, though.

For combat you want as much dominance defense and health as you can, in that order. Equipment stays for every game, so buy all the best glory equipment asap. Fast attack and careful attacks are more useful than power attacks, because power attack take so drat long that the computer can easily counter them. When you got the computer cornered just pound them with fast attacks until they either die or start countering. Also glory = exp in this game.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
(Sword & Glory)

Defence is fairly useless from what I've seen - I pick up the Freed Slave perk, and it's the only passive defence restorative I have, unless it's in my equipment. You can use equipment/home base to easily get all the buffs in that area you need, as you get 3 health from buildings. I've never seen a particular need to get more health then that, as any fight where I take five points of damage isn't one you'd be saved in by having six.

Fast/careful/power attacks exist in a triangle, with some attacks being better than others - Power helps you close distance, for example, while Fast helps you wound easily. Shield Bashes are the fastest attack, but are too weak to be worth doing unbuffed.

Also: with the new update, there's a new shield that gives +6 damage to Shield Bash, which is amazing. Helped me beat the Darknessborn in Some Awful Thing - the only reward I had was the Mace, but you might unlock something for beating both Darknessborn. According to the design notes, there's new monuments for Worldly people - what are their effects?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My big issue with the Sword & Glory combat system is that you can queue attacks while you're being staggered, so if you keep getting hit before you can get your attack off you'll get stuck in a loop where you can't actually do the attack you want to perform because after you recover from the stagger you'll perform the attack that you couldn't get off previously.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Speaking of which, Oh! Cube is a pretty decent Picross 3D clone.

Oh! Cube owns and the controls are decent too. The only gripe I have is that you only ever have one puzzle unlocked at a time. Like, you can't take a break from one and go play another.

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm gonna give this Simpsons thing a go and I can't find a thread for it so if you are down to pound f2p donuts add Rexicon2

It's the worst IAP game ever. I played it for a while and it was fun and silly, but the self-awareness doesn't make up for how inanely greedy it is. I'd recommend Happy Street or something before playing Tapped Out ever again. I wanted to like it, too. :smith:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

swords and glory

The new worldly monument gives + defense to pagans and Christians. I haven't gotten to tier 2 yet.

However worldly gets some new :black101: quest. I just shamed the head shaman into exile and then killed John the Baptist.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
I've been playing the hell out of Warhammer Quest, but they really should have spent another couple of weeks fixing bugs. The gameplay is spot on though and will scratch your Hunters itch in all the right ways.

If you're going to get IAP, the Hidden Threat expansion is well worth the five bucks... the new characters not so much.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Any advice for collecting JP on a calculator in FFT? They're so slow! At the moment I just have Ramza keep trying to speed her up and have her cast haste on herself then on everyone else.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Apocron posted:

Any advice for collecting JP on a calculator in FFT? They're so slow! At the moment I just have Ramza keep trying to speed her up and have her cast haste on herself then on everyone else.

Have them sing/dance. Triggers at set intervals and is quite reliable for easy jp.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
You mean go and get dancer? I think I think it'd be quicker just leveling the calculator as is than trying to level up dragoon and geomancer to 5 since they're both still level 1 for her.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Apocron posted:

You mean go and get dancer? I think I think it'd be quicker just leveling the calculator as is than trying to level up dragoon and geomancer to 5 since they're both still level 1 for her.

Yeah, more a problem for female characters since their performer job is down the physical route instead of the magic one.
Might be worth the hassle anyway if you intend to get all magic compatible with calc since all those jobs act so slowly.

I love that there are so many ways to become overpowered in this game.
Hell, get a dancer anyway and admire the crippling effects of forbidden dance.

It's just a shame you never face enemies using some of these things themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Originally I thought that calculators multiplied damage but instead it's all about enemy selection. Any hints?

• Locked thread