Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay well riddle me this about logistics. Then why not just build intercontinental drones that don't even require a logistics endpoint in enemy territory? With drones, when have we ever needed this hypothetical ability to drop off some light attack aircraft on some dirt strip in the middle of nowhere/possible contested ground?
Being as close as possible to the conflict you're supporting has serious advantages for aircraft. Flight time + fuel cost money, a lot of money, and it adds up fast. In one recent example, we were trying to get our ops moved to a base an hour closer to the fight, because cutting one hour each way multiplied by X number of daily sorties would have saved us millions of dollars in operations and fuel costs per day. More relevant to the CAS question is that your alert response time for, say, a troops in contact scenario would be measured in tens of hours. Not a good look. Another thing people don't consider is flexibility. If your base is two hours away from the fight, and you want to guarantee CAS or ISR support for an operation, you have to launch your jets two hours before the start of the operation in order to make your on station time. If the op plan changes in those two hours, your planes might not have the right stores mix or enough fuel to loiter until the new infil time, or might have to turn around and go home because the whole thing got called off. This results in either a lot of unused sorties or having to keep an on station presence for the entire possible window, both of which bring us back to flight time + fuel cost money.

You don't need to operate out of some highway strip inside contested territory, the more realistic scenario is taking over some disused civil airstrip nearby and being able to run a small but effective CAS/NTISR operation without having to import or build a ton of infrastructure.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay well riddle me this about logistics. Then why not just build intercontinental drones that don't even require a logistics endpoint in enemy territory? With drones, when have we ever needed this hypothetical ability to drop off some light attack aircraft on some dirt strip in the middle of nowhere/possible contested ground?

As has been posted, for reactive CAS, you need something there quick, which either means something very fast, requiring tons of fuel/money, or something rather close, meaning FOBs.

Now, for ISR, this is a real idea being bandied about. The Army spy blimp in test is an example, and there are plenty of white papers out there about some theoretical high altitude, solar-powered ISR platform that can cruise about for months on end.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Koesj posted:

That sounds hella expensive.

Nowadays they place a lot of value on the idea of pilots not getting blown up, so even if remotely operating a drone that takes off from Diego Garcia and flies to Afghanistan (or wherever) and back costs a mint the fact that the president won't have to explain why we're missing a pilot if someone manages to hit the aircraft with AA fire probably makes up for that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

Nowadays they place a lot of value on the idea of pilots not getting blown up,
:lol: Want to take a guess at how many pilots died supporting OEF in the last year?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

No, really, they do.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
In May we had a plane crash and kill three crew, but no taxpayer is going to get in the grill of anyone involved in delaying the procurement of a new tanker. A Marine flying squadron commander was killed by infiltrators in September. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of helo shootdowns and crashes. Fact is, soldiers, or pilots, dying on the other side of the planet is pretty much a non-event for most Americans.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

In May we had a plane crash and kill three crew, but no taxpayer is going to get in the grill of anyone involved in delaying the procurement of a new tanker. A Marine flying squadron commander was killed by infiltrators in September. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of helo shootdowns and crashes. Fact is, soldiers, or pilots, dying on the other side of the planet is pretty much a non-event for most Americans.

Fine, the US tends to not notice losses, but pilot losses are a much bigger deal than ground force losses. I can't go into details due to opsec, but US SAM systems' TTPs and software/hardware development changed in a fundamental way as a result of a period of time wherein the Army shot down 2 friendly aircraft, and a USAF F-16 shot up a SAM battery.

Meanwhile, air power has roughly a fuckload more frats on ground forces than vice versa.

If we'd reacted as severely to a flight of F-15s killing 26 service members as we did to Patriot killing 3 aviators, no fighter would be able to fire a shot without Obama calling them up personally to authorize the shot.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnak_Farm_incident

seriously, you don't want to play the game where you pretend for one second that the US doesn't deem aircraft special compared to the vast and great majority of our forces, ground troops, getting killed.

Dead Reckoning posted:

A Marine flying squadron commander was killed by infiltrators in September.

Not special because he was shot to death on the ground. If he'd been shot down in mountains of Afghanistan, it would be a big deal. I'm not even joking, I'm just depressed...

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 13, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's a non-event now because it happens so seldom. Additionally, a decade of war has somewhat inured the American populace to deaths in those two wars. However, look at the hullabaloo around Cliff Acree and Guy Hunter or the Black Hawk in Mogadishu or, more recently, the rescue of the F-15 pilot in Libya.

Also, being killed by hostile fire (or worse, captured and executed) is perceived very differently to deaths by accidents.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Short of scorched earth its also a hell of a lot harder to prevent infantry deaths. At some point some guy is going to be kicking in a door in Falujah or whatnot and that is not a healthy occupation to be in.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alaan posted:

Short of scorched earth its also a hell of a lot harder to prevent infantry deaths. At some point some guy is going to be kicking in a door in Falujah or whatnot and that is not a healthy occupation to be in.

Sure. But I'm not even talking about a guy getting shot up while room clearing. I'm talking about the colossal blowback* from ground-to-air frats versus the relatively mild blowback from air-to-ground frats.

*To be fair, Aegis shooting a goddamned airliner down is unforgivable.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Nowadays they place a lot of value on the idea of pilots not getting blown up, so even if remotely operating a drone that takes off from Diego Garcia and flies to Afghanistan (or wherever) and back costs a mint the fact that the president won't have to explain why we're missing a pilot if someone manages to hit the aircraft with AA fire probably makes up for that.

Yeah sure, I never said anything to the contrary Do you dispute that an intercontinental drone would be an expensive way to waste a couple of dudes?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MrYenko posted:

Loiter.

For CAS and COIN, the ability to be low and slow, and actually look for targets, is a huge advantage. That's why, every time you hear someone say that the F-35 is going to replace the A-10, I encourage you to LAUGH IN THEIR FACES.

Well, if Battlefield 3 has taught me anything, it's that the F-35 is a superior CAS aircraft because it can hover in midair while the pilot picks off enemy infantry and lightly armored targets with the cannon.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Dead Reckoning posted:

They are no poo poo working on this for the F-35, but I'm guessing that it isn't going to happen due to heat/miniaturization/technology obstacles.
Actually, all those problems have been solved; it's most of an engineering problem at this point. It will show up first on ships, but it's compact enough to fit into the phone-booth-sized cavity in the middle of the F-35A and F-35C, and removing the gun frees up another large cavity and a lot of weight.

Shame laser weapons are never gonna happen unless maybe in the super far off future, though, huh?

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?id=1065977923

quote:

Navy League 2013: USN to deploy solid-state laser weapon on board USS Ponce in 2014
By Grace Jean
4/10/2013

The US Navy's (USN) top officer announced on 8 April that a solid-state laser weapon (SSL) will be installed and deployed to 5th Fleet on board USS Ponce (AFSB(I)15) in early 2014.

A quick reaction capability based upon the Laser Weapon System (LaWS), developed by the Office of Naval Research (ONR) and Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA), is being configured for an extended deployment of at least several months on board Ponce , which is currently forward deployed as the USN's afloat forward staging base in the Persian Gulf region, officials said.

The weapon is intended to counter small unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and small boats and fast craft, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Jonathan Greenert told attendees at the Navy League Sea-Air-Space 2013 Expo in Washington, DC.

Ponce is a 41-year-old Austin-class amphibious transport dock ship that was refurbished and converted into an interim first ship of a new class called afloat forward-staging base (AFSB). Ponce will host the SSL quick reaction capability (QRC) on its deck located in a "standard weapon system firing position", officials told reporters.
LaWS demonstrator:

e: shameless plug for the GiP future weapons thread

grover fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 14, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You should probably add CANCELLED FOR BEING STUPID in all caps on top of the ABL in that thread.

edit: IFC/CEC will be pretty cool when it works.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 14, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Also, being killed by hostile fire (or worse, captured and executed) is perceived very differently to deaths by accidents.

Yes and no. Anti-war / anti-Bush groups made a point of including warzone accidents to pump up their ~~grim statistics~~. While the life of a guy squashed when his humvee rolled into a ditch isn't any less sacred than the guy killed storming a sniper nest to save his platoon, it really distorted public opnion on what baseline military casualty rates are like, even in peacetime, and it muddies the line between deaths resulting from tactical / srategic / policy errors and ones from basically safety violations. There's a big difference between an "accident" where a truck hits a guy at night wearing insufficient reflective belts and an "accident" where someone shoots a missile at friendly troops.

That attack with the Harriers destroyed / commander killed didn't get anywhere near the press it deserved, but that was for political reasons.

atomicthumbs posted:

Well, if Battlefield 3 has taught me anything, it's that the F-35 is a superior CAS aircraft because it can hover in midair while the pilot picks off enemy infantry and lightly armored targets with the cannon.

Don't forget a skilled pilot can fly low and clip individual infantry with the wingtips

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

grover posted:

e: shameless plug for the GiP future weapons thread

If it's in an air to air role, how does it stack up against missiles in terms of range? What are the costs involved in deploying each unit?

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to keep something like that up and running under combat conditions? If the lasers still have big problems with dissipating heat, will that stress the aircraft in hot conditions? If a laser creates such a hilarious amount of heat, won't that make the aircraft a giant thermal target? Will the laser work in the rain?

Doesn't the US military have a huge problem with aging aircraft and warships? Will we be able to replace/refit these ships while funding these projects and putting them into production?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

At least with the "In hot conditions" remember air temps get pretty loving chilly with some altitude. So heat may be an issue, but more from the plane itself/dissipation of the system than environmental.

Edit: With a theoretical F-35 laser.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If it's in an air to air role, how does it stack up against missiles in terms of range? What are the costs involved in deploying each unit?

I think it's main advantage is that its intercept speed is for all intents and purposes infinite. No need for complicated computations of mid-flight course correction by electronics robust enough to fly at mach 4 and pull huge G forces. Just keep it pointed at the target and eventually that target will burst into flames.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to keep something like that up and running under combat conditions? If the lasers still have big problems with dissipating heat, will that stress the aircraft in hot conditions? If a laser creates such a hilarious amount of heat, won't that make the aircraft a giant thermal target? Will the laser work in the rain?

Doesn't the US military have a huge problem with aging aircraft and warships? Will we be able to replace/refit these ships while funding these projects and putting them into production?
Range is limited to about 5 miles in surface-to-air/air-to-surface, but essentially unlimited in an air-to-air role. The first-gen F-35 laser is expected to have a duty cycle of about 10% (two 3-second shots, followed by a 3-second shot every 30 seconds) due to cooling, which is the main limitation. Vs IR missiles, it would only take a fraction of a second to destroy the seeker head. For medium/long-range like AMRAAM or R-37, a saturation attack thick enough such that the F-35 can't shoot them all down in time may still prove effective. At least until the laser technology improves.

Another laser weapon would be far more effective to counter a laser-armed F-35.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

Range is limited to about 5 miles in surface-to-air/air-to-surface, but essentially unlimited in an air-to-air role. The first-gen F-35 laser is expected to have a duty cycle of about 10% (two 3-second shots, followed by a 3-second shot every 30 seconds) due to cooling, which is the main limitation. Vs IR missiles, it would only take a fraction of a second to destroy the seeker head. For medium/long-range like AMRAAM or R-37, a saturation attack thick enough such that the F-35 can't shoot them all down in time may still prove effective. At least until the laser technology improves.

Another laser weapon would be far more effective to counter a laser-armed F-35.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that "phonebooth sized central cavity" the place you keep bombs and AtA missiles so as not to gently caress the RCS?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Forums Terrorist posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that "phonebooth sized central cavity" the place you keep bombs and AtA missiles so as not to gently caress the RCS?

No, its where the lift fan goes on the B.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

No, it's not, it's where you keep the lift fan on the VTOL version. The weapons bays are outboard of this.

e: goddammit veins

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gently caress it, put a GAU-8 in there. It's not like it'd make things worse.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Forums Terrorist posted:

No, it's where the lift-fan is on the F-35B. And it's right next to where the GAU-22/A is in F-35A/C, which can be removed to allow more space/weight, too. It's one place where commonality between the variants is going to pay really big dividends: not only is there space for a laser, but the F-35B's F135-PW-600 engine was designed with an output shaft capable of transferring about 26MW of shaft horsepower to the lift fan to hover, and is more than capable of directly outputting the 1MW of power needed for a 100kW-class laser without the need for any batteries or capacitors, and without much impact on aircraft performance. I'm not sure of F135-PW-100 & 400 can be modified or converted to give this, or if some new hybrid variant of the F135-PW-600s will need to be procured, but it's certainly not a showstopper.

vs

grover fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 14, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Won't that render the plane's engine less efficient in conventional flight due to the wasted energy? And with regards to the GAU-8 comment the joke there was the more I read about the F-35 the more it seems like the military aviation equivalent of the Homermobile.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Forums Terrorist posted:

Won't that render the plane's engine less efficient in conventional flight due to the wasted energy? And with regards to the GAU-8 comment the joke there was the more I read about the F-35 the more it seems like the military aviation equivalent of the Homermobile.
It would only be drawing power off the engine when the laser is actually firing. The F135-PW-600 puts out about 52MW of dry power (50% more while on afterburner), and the laser is only pulling off 1MW for a few seconds at a time. So, yeah, it's going to decrease available thrust by about 1.3% when firing.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

All the MANPADS talk right after tankchatting had me thinking, has there ever been planned an active incoming-misssile defense system for [combat] aircraft? Shoot out a fast little fucker that disrupts or destroys the incoming missile up close?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I hope to god that grover is right about all this because I want loving laser battles all pew pew like Ace Combat.

If not, oh god our air power is screwed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sjurygg posted:

All the MANPADS talk right after tankchatting had me thinking, has there ever been planned an active incoming-misssile defense system for [combat] aircraft? Shoot out a fast little fucker that disrupts or destroys the incoming missile up close?

There are countermeasures other than flares, like IR jammers that work with varying degrees of success. Some aircraft even have towed decoys, though IIRC, those are for RF countermeasures rather than IR.

Grover is a really impossibly optimistic kind of guy about JSF, but for the sake of capabilities and money, I hope he's right.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sjurygg posted:

No. :tinfoil:

American Airlines was most certainly not talking about putting that or other systems on airliners, either.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

MiG-31 Firefox had rearward-firing explosives to take out incoming missiles and pursuers, but the export potential was greatly limited since you could only fire the countermeasures if you thought in Russian

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think it's main advantage is that its intercept speed is for all intents and purposes infinite. No need for complicated computations of mid-flight course correction by electronics robust enough to fly at mach 4 and pull huge G forces. Just keep it pointed at the target and eventually that target will burst into flames.

That and there isn't much you can do to prevent a laser from hitting a plane. Once fired a missile can be detected in flight allowing tons of options to screw with it electronically, use decoys (flares/chaff), shoot at it, outrun or out-maneuvered it, etc.

With a laser once you fire it there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do. It'll hit what it was pointed at and you can't even know it was fired until it already hit the target because the weapon travels just as fast as the fastest means of detection. With a laser the only real defenses are pro-active stuff like either flying something that can shrug off the hits, never getting close enough for the laser to be damaging, or avoiding getting targeted/shot at in the first place.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 14, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Warbadger posted:

With a laser once you fire it there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do. It'll hit what it was pointed at and you can't even know it was fired until it already hit the target because the weapon travels just as fast as the fastest means of detection. With a laser the only real defenses are pro-active stuff like either flying something that can shrug off the hits or avoiding getting targeted/shot at in the first place.
Stealth and being able to detect and engage your target before he detects and engages you becomes extraordinarily important. It's why I'm so optimistic about the F-35: I see its potential to render all other aircraft (including the F-22, which cannot field a laser) obsolete.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Warbadger posted:

That and there isn't much you can do to prevent a laser from hitting a plane. Once fired a missile can be detected in flight allowing tons of options to screw with it electronically, use decoys (flares/chaff), shoot at it, outrun or out-maneuvered it, etc.

With a laser once you fire it there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do. It'll hit what it was pointed at and you can't even know it was fired until it already hit the target because the weapon travels just as fast as the fastest means of detection. With a laser the only real defenses are pro-active stuff like either flying something that can shrug off the hits, never getting close enough for the laser to be damaging, or avoiding getting targeted/shot at in the first place.

It could move in the amount of time it takes for the laser to be any effect, go through a cloud or smoke to cause blooming, easily outrun the 767 with the generator that's powering the laser on the F-35 with the comically made extension cord to power the drat laser.

EDIT: You really think that a fighter that can't carry it's own gun on 2 of the 3 variants is going to be able to carry a laser powerful enough to avoid scattering through the atmosphere in a 35 kilometer range?

LP97S fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 14, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Any sort of damage to the air frame of a high-performance fighter would be very dangerous. Their skin isn't that thick to begin with and if you distort the way that air flows over it enough then it could possibly tear itself apart. Doubly so if you damage a support structure.

Hell, the pilot(s) may not even know they're being attacked by a laser until things start to fail, if even then.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Snowdens Secret posted:

MiG-31 Firefox had rearward-firing explosives to take out incoming missiles and pursuers, but the export potential was greatly limited since you could only fire the countermeasures if you thought in Russian

Wait what?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LP97S posted:

It could move in the amount of time it takes for the laser to be any effect

Keeping a laser beam projected on a moving target is a problem that was solved a long time ago. There are plenty of laser-guided bombs and missiles that are fully capable of attacking moving targets, even rapidly-moving, maneuvering targets.

FrozenVent posted:

Wait what?

http://youtu.be/R0zzz3f9VpI

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 14, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

FrozenVent posted:

Wait what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5DsLow4SVQ&t=81s

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Keeping a laser beam projected on a moving target is a problem that was solved a long time ago. There are plenty of laser-guided bombs and missiles that are fully capable of attacking moving targets, even rapidly-moving, maneuvering targets.

Good point, but then I could just go into a cloud (those occur sometimes) where the laser fucks up and the F-35 can't chase me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If the F-35A does, in 15 years time, become some LO laser-murder airplane, I will laugh even harder at the F-35B than I do now.