Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think people tend to gloss over a lot of Xenoblade's flaws (like how it's ridiculously easy and is very MMO-y and never loving ends) but the world is so expansive and open that it really does make up for most everything else.

Some of us didn't want it to end and were upset when it did :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

japtor posted:

He's doing the Viewtiful Joe pose :allears:

Kamiya rules

Dec 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved TLS too, the only (relative) problem is that it clocks in at about 30 hours compared to Xenoblade's 80(!) hour minimum playtime.

Playtime isn't everything (or anything, really, as long as it's long enough, which TLS was for me). I spent ~100+ hours on Xenoblade and ~20 hours on The Last Story and liked the latter better.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
I dunno why some people obsess over playtime. I'd rather have a game that's legitimately fun, challenging and short to play over a game with padded gameplay any day. *hint* They're easier to replay. *hint*

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im glad to hear Last Story is so short. I have trouble actually finishing JRPGs, even if I really like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

01011001 posted:

Playtime isn't everything (or anything, really, as long as it's long enough, which TLS was for me). I spent ~100+ hours on Xenoblade and ~20 hours on The Last Story and liked the latter better.

I'm not saying it's a negative, I'm saying THE ONLY problem I found with the game was that I thought it wasn't long enough and I wanted more.

Chaltab posted:

Not true. Jenna Coleman was not involved in The Last Story.

Oh, you're right. I could've sworn they had the same VA for some reason, but it seems I was thinking of the VA who did Alvis and Jirall. :doh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Proto Cloud posted:

I dunno why some people obsess over playtime. I'd rather have a game that's legitimately fun, challenging and short to play over a game with padded gameplay any day. *hint* They're easier to replay. *hint*

I think it's a product of a generation dominated by lovely, easy,boring and short games. People worry about playtime because most games are dumb linear shooters that will wear out their welcome in 8 hours or less despite costing $60.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TF2 MINING RIG posted:

Skylanders is a game where you have to pay separately for characters who's main difference is their combat abilities when there is barely any combat in the game.

Disney Skylanders doesn't look much better.

I bought skylanders: giants for battle mode, though it turns out its pretty broken balance-wise!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
A flaw is something that is more or less objectively wrong. Calling the long play time a flaw is stupid.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

A flaw is something that is more or less objectively wrong. Calling the long play time a flaw is stupid.

Gotta agree. Most of the time when people don't care about how long a game is, they have an excess of disposable income or they're not actually buying the game.

My #1 question when I'm going to buy a game is "How many hours per dollar?" I know that poo poo like Mario Kart is going to get tons of hours in it, but with some weird new game I get pretty worried. Glad to hear xenoblade has tons of content.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dull content doesn't magically become interesting through repetition.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Up next in my massive queue...Skyward Sword, Sin and Punisment and Dead Space:Extraction (already beat it years ago but it was amazing and I want to play it again). Then there are like 10 more I need to get through after that.

I was playing Dead Space: Extraction last week and got hit with surprise nudity. :v:

The next Wii game in my queue is Phantom Brave. I never played the original game, though...

Other cool Wii games: A Boy and His Blob, Okami, the De Blob series, and Klonoa. All of the rail shooters like Ghost Squad, the two House of the Dead Games but especially Overkill, and the two Resident Evil Chronicles games. If you like adventure games and haven't played them the first two seasons of Sam and Max are available. Deadly Creatures is one of the weirder action/adventure games I've ever played; the only one since Bad Mojo were I played an arthropod.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dull content doesn't magically become interesting through repetition.

Having a long play time doesn't automatically make it repetitive either :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Gotta agree. Most of the time when people don't care about how long a game is, they have an excess of disposable income or they're not actually buying the game.

My #1 question when I'm going to buy a game is "How many hours per dollar?" I know that poo poo like Mario Kart is going to get tons of hours in it, but with some weird new game I get pretty worried. Glad to hear xenoblade has tons of content.

I'm still in the process of playing the game and I've logged over 100 hours. I'm almost at the end but if I wanted to I could spend another 10-20 hours just doing sidequests, building up character/town affinities and getting everyone's best weapons. There's no plot-related reason to, as I can fight the last boss right now but if I wanted to mess around and fight all the high level enemies that one-shot me when I was at level 10 and they were level 80 I could.

That aspect is pretty unique in Xenoblade. In every area of the game there are enemies that are far beyond your level and will pulverize you if you get too close. Progressing through the game and going back to get those giant lizards or whatever that killed you when they sneezed is extremely satisfying.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

axeil posted:

I'm still in the process of playing the game and I've logged over 100 hours. I'm almost at the end but if I wanted to I could spend another 10-20 hours just doing sidequests, building up character/town affinities and getting everyone's best weapons. There's no plot-related reason to, as I can fight the last boss right now but if I wanted to mess around and fight all the high level enemies that one-shot me when I was at level 10 and they were level 80 I could.

That aspect is pretty unique in Xenoblade. In every area of the game there are enemies that are far beyond your level and will pulverize you if you get too close. Progressing through the game and going back to get those giant lizards or whatever that killed you when they sneezed is extremely satisfying.
Best part is that fighting those enemies gives you awesome rewards, because for the most part they're the only way you can get the highest level art books for each character. Monolith really knew exactly what they were doing. I beat the game after about 85 hours and I still played around for another ten hours afterwards just finishing up sidequests.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

axeil posted:

I think you just sold me a loving fifty dollar Wii game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think you just sold me a loving fifty dollar Wii game.

50$? Hahahahahahaha. Not even close.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The only problem with Xenoblade Chronicles is that even though there's a ridiculous amount of sidequests, they're not all that interesting. 95% of the time it's typical MMO style quests like "Kill 5 of this enemy" or "Get 3 of this item".

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

XC is going to be the Earthbound of future consoles.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

50$? Hahahahahahaha. Not even close.

I got my copy for $50. :smug:

Kilometers Davis posted:

The sad thing is, I saw several copies of the game at local GameStops for almost a year after the game was released, so I initially thought my pre-ordering of the game was a waste of time and I could've just picked it up whenever. Then all of a sudden, they were gone. And the internet was telling me they doubled in price. Good times.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 14, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Same :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Except people bought Xenoblade.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

The only problem with Xenoblade Chronicles is that even though there's a ridiculous amount of sidequests, they're not all that interesting. 95% of the time it's typical MMO style quests like "Kill 5 of this enemy" or "Get 3 of this item".

The lack of quest markers can also get very irritating. I recommend just doing the ones you want and not feeling compelled to do them all. If you run into problems the Xenoblade wikia will give you good info on where to find the enemies/items you need. Just don't go browsing or you'll get a lot of things spoiled. E.g. if you mouse over the entry for the final boss or 7th party member they have in the header the url will tell you who it is. Also don't sell or trade any of the collectables because you may need them for a quest. If you use them in collectapedia or for affinity building it may take a lot of hunting to get the number you need. :argh: Ice Cabbages! :argh:

The Frontier Village quests are the best though. Do the ones with the pollen factory, they're hilarious.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel they more than make up for that by making the quest stories and interactions amusing or otherwise interesting.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Thanks for getting me interested in a impossible to find game, jerks. :(

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Well I'm sure it will be on the Virtual Console by 2019 (note: realistic estimate).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

The other day a lot of people were upset when I mentioned playing Xenoblade because they wanted a copy. "Should have preordered from Nintendo. :smug:"

I don't know what we as players could have done to make people more aware that Xenoblade was awesome and that the printing was going to be so limited that the only way to get a copy was to order in advance.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

For Xenoblade, check your local Gamestops. There's a small chance they may still have a few copies in stock since it was almost exclusively sold through their stores.

Speaking of Xenoblade, I really need to sit down this summer and beat it. I've had it since the European release and I'm still only about 7 hours in. Same with the other Rainfall titles.

:negative:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Random Stranger posted:

The other day a lot of people were upset when I mentioned playing Xenoblade because they wanted a copy. "Should have preordered from Nintendo. :smug:"

I don't know what we as players could have done to make people more aware that Xenoblade was awesome and that the printing was going to be so limited that the only way to get a copy was to order in advance.

Didn't AxeManiac sticky a thread last year explicitly doing this?

I mean, I didn't buy it because I had no interest in it (though I'd try it if ever given the chance).

In other news, finally got my system back yesterday and I started to play Zombiu. Holy poo poo, it's not perfect, but it's a pretty interesting game.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 14, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

FPzero posted:

For Xenoblade, check your local Gamestops. There's a small chance they may still have a few copies in stock since it was almost exclusively sold through their stores.

Speaking of Xenoblade, I really need to sit down this summer and beat it. I've had it since the European release and I'm still only about 7 hours in. Same with the other Rainfall titles.

:negative:

Same here... even though its quality takes me back to the classics of the 90s I haven't been keeping up with it. I buy too many games. Collecting them has become almost as much of a hobby for me as playing them.

Dec 26, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Didn't AxeManiac sticky a thread last year explicitly doing this?

I mean, I didn't buy it because I had no interest in it (though I'd try it if ever given the chance).

Think it was Louisgod but yeah. That's what convinced me to take the plunge and given what it's going for now I don't regret doing it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kilometers Davis posted:

Probably more like the Suikoden II of future consoles. A great game that did sold well, but came out at the end of a generation line when more graphical JRPGs were out. I really regret selling that game.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Rirse posted:

Probably more like the Suikoden II of future consoles. A great game that did sold well, but came out at the end of a generation line when more graphical JRPGs were out. I really regret selling that game.
My copy of the game was stolen. That stung. I managed to finish the game with :filez: but with what it's going for now it'd be nice to have.

Considering the Wii U architecture is similar to that of the Wii, it probably wouldn't be that hard to port it over and put it on the eShop. Or use it as a preorder bonus for X.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Chaltab posted:

My copy of the game was stolen. That stung. I managed to finish the game with :filez: but with what it's going for now it'd be nice to have.

Considering the Wii U architecture is similar to that of the Wii, it probably wouldn't be that hard to port it over and put it on the eShop. Or use it as a preorder bonus for X.

Shoot even if it was a direct port that simply scaled the render up from 480p i'd buy it in a heart beat.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I preordered Xenoblade from nintendo.com simply because I could totally see it running out, being out of print, rocketing up to hundreds of dollars, and then turning out to be incredible and me being angry that I didnt buy it when I had the chance.

I'm often right on these predictions.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gutcruncher posted:

I preordered Xenoblade from nintendo.com simply because I could totally see it running out, being out of print, rocketing up to hundreds of dollars, and then turning out to be incredible and me being angry that I didnt buy it when I had the chance.

I'm often right on these predictions.

I was the exact same way when I ordered my copy. In fact, I made two pre-orders, one from Nintendo's online store, and another from GameStop, just in case (ended up selling the other copy to my brother for exactly what I paid the next day). It's the curse of a video game hoarder collector, you just KNOW, ya know?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I didn't believe it would ever come to North America, hacked my Wii just to play the European version and by the time to the American version was released, I was knee deep in it. Meaning I have a Wii sitting on my stand exclusively for playing Xenoblade.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Sweet! I got the last "Used" copy of Skyward Sword off Amazon Warehouse Direct and they just gave me a new copy! Yay points!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

flare posted:

Sweet! I got the last "Used" copy of Skyward Sword off Amazon Warehouse Direct and they just gave me a new copy! Yay points!

Warehouse deals really has some awesome deals if you're patient/look hard enough. Case in point, my Zombiu bundle for 70 bucks cheaper than retail that was brand new.

And your post reminds me, I still need to play Skyward Sword. I bought it for my brother when it came out for Christmas but he has yet to touch it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

01011001 posted:

Think it was Louisgod but yeah. That's what convinced me to take the plunge and given what it's going for now I don't regret doing it.

I stickied it for months too to give people as much of a heads up as possible AND encouraged others to purchase more than one copy since I had a reeeeeeally good feeling it'd not only a hard game to find but a game people would try to track down well after it was available. So yeah, I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE GAME MAN, I TOLD YOUUUUUUUUU.

• Locked thread