Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

air- posted:

But then we did get Paradox Jura here and apparently it's almost as good as BCBS? Baffling.

I had an Abstrakt:13 the other week, which is a Brewdog one-off BA Cherry stout and thought it was better than the 2012 BCBS I had recently (for the record, I loved the BCBS too). I know everyone thinks Brewdog are a bunch of dickheads but they're making some really good beer these days (Cocoa Psycho and Jackhammer being two recent examples).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Docjowles posted:

Making an eisbock is patentable now, apparently?

I also like the fact that now they're calling a beer processed with fractional freezing a spirit, rather than the last three freeze-distilled clusterfucks. Does that mean they're relinquishing the "world's most alcoholic beer" crown, since they used the same process on End of History? Or are their marketers just saying, "gently caress it, we do what we want" at this point?

Also, I wonder if they have some specialized fractional freezing process or if they're just playing it up for the marketing-speak. If it's neither and they're actually dumb enough to try to patent fractional freezing as a whole, I'd love to see whether that works with EU trade law, not to mention the reactions of German breweries.

It still baffles me that BrewDog has not only stayed in business but is apparently amazingly prosperous, considering they make their money on constant trolling and not beer quality. I'm still waiting to drink something from them that's more than merely tolerable.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

Brewdog.. :wtc:

But then we did get Paradox Jura here and apparently it's almost as good as BCBS? Baffling.

Stopped clock correct twice a day, etc

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't know how this will turn out but two buddies and I are going to compare Boulevard's Saison Brett, Bruery's Saison De Lente, and a GI Sofie that is like 2-3 years old. I wonder what else I could get...
Saisonathon.

I do want to pick up another saison-brett to sit on to see how it tastes with a bit more time on it though.

Boulevard puts a "best by" date on their Saison-Brett, and I think it's somewhere around the two-year mark. I had a 2011 back in February and it was pretty great, so I'd say if you abide by their dating, it's worth putting one on age.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ubik posted:

It still baffles me that BrewDog has not only stayed in business but is apparently amazingly prosperous, considering they make their money on constant trolling and not beer quality. I'm still waiting to drink something from them that's more than merely tolerable.

Like Rogue, I've stopped even trying.

Also: check your PMs!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Boulevard puts a "best by" date on their Saison-Brett, and I think it's somewhere around the two-year mark. I had a 2011 back in February and it was pretty great, so I'd say if you abide by their dating, it's worth putting one on age.

Ooh. I should pay more attention to the label haha.
Thanks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Being that Boulevard puts this two-year best by on all of their special releases (LC, SB, BBQ), I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It comes off as their boilerplate "try and age this!" recommendation without guaranteeing the beer's quality to like 10 years.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So I've decided that July 14th will be the Philly/New Jersey bottle share/brew day that I'm going to host at my house. There'll probably be some grilling going on, the pool will be open by then and I'll be brewing. I encourage everyone to bring a bottle and if you want to brew your own beer then awesome. The sign up list is here. I'll send out my address through e-mail.

This is my first hosted bottle share so if anyone has any tips then go for it. I plan on grilling burgers and hot dogs, but if you'd like to bring something also then go for it.

Edit: It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. I will not tolerate drunk driving at all. I'd like to not have anyone kill anyone or themselves when leaving my property. I lost a friend to a drunk driver so please be smart.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 16, 2013

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

This is my first hosted bottle share so if anyone has any tips then go for it. I plan on grilling burgers and hot dogs, but if you'd like to bring something also then go for it.

Of course, plenty of water and have a pitcher/large punch bowl to use for dumping beer. If you don't have a ton of taster glasses, buy small Dixie cups.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ubik posted:

They have a pub near me that's always brimming with trendy business men and hardly anyone has a beard. It's hosed up if you ask me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Being that Boulevard puts this two-year best by on all of their special releases (LC, SB, BBQ), I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It comes off as their boilerplate "try and age this!" recommendation without guaranteeing the beer's quality to like 10 years.

i much preferred fresh Saison Brett to the two-year old bottle i had. i found the flavors got a little muddled and the newer bottle to much brighter and crisper.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
well mine's been down there for about a year now, guess it's time to break it open

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Cervixalot posted:

I'm thinking of having a friend of mine who lives in Akron stop by Hopping Frog tomorrow to pick up some Irish Whiskey barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. Is this a mistake? I haven't had B.O.R.I.S in at least a year, so i'm a bit hazy on how good it is, more interested in picking the whiskey barrel version out of pure curiosity.

I think BORIS is pretty good, and I personally think the Irish Whiskey barrel aged version sounds pretty good. The only problem is that they charge $15/bottle, so it's a bit expensive for a shot in the dark. I would say it's worth picking up at least one bottle, possibly two.

People seemed to go crazy for BORIS Royale, but that was Canadian Whiskey barrels.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I am. Are you local to the area? Hadn't seen you in the thread before. I'm in Fort Collins, and always down to grab a beer with a goon.

BCBS is one of the rare beers that absolutely lives up to the hype. I hope we one day get a portion of the hilarious surplus* the Chicagoland area seems to have. The Forge pub in town had a sixtel of BCBS Coffee once and it was loving mind blowing.

*Actual photo from Binny's blog. They're just taunting us now :argh:

I have been lurking in the thread for a while but haven't posted before. I'm also in Fort Collins and would definitely be down to grab a beer sometime. Since kegs of BCBS have been showing up in the area i'm hopeful that we will get bottles when they do the 2013 release.

Did any Colorado goons make it to Avery's release of Momi Hiwa last Sunday? I opened a bottle last night and it is fantastic. It was very strong on the coconut flavor, and did a good job of masking the high alcohol content. It even had bits of coconut floating in it. It should be hitting limited distribution in Colorado, so watch for it if you like coconut beers.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Picked up Bacherotti Fluido 3/5 on a whim today. Anyone have any experience with this beer? Even hear of it before? I might have to solve this mystery tonight, but I'm a bit hesitant.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

i much preferred fresh Saison Brett to the two-year old bottle i had. i found the flavors got a little muddled and the newer bottle to much brighter and crisper.

I tried to age Saison Brett the last couple of years. I think I made it about 5 months. It's too good to sit on. This year's release is perfect, and on tap was absolutely incredible. I'll be sending some out very soon.
e: I also got my confirmation to the KC Boulevard/SN Terra Incognita tasting on Wednesday. I hope they let us buy some bottles.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Trip report for the Fluido 3/5: Opened the bottle to find an odd plastic nipple on the underside of it nipple that pretty rank, like a fart in a bottle. The bottle itself smelled marginally better-- a bit earthy and herb-ish. I think this bottle is infected or something, not sure. RB notes call for a thin tan head, whereas I got diffuse, clear bubbles. Malty aroma and flavor? Negatory; slight tartness on the front that coats the tongue, a little malt towards the back with a licorice aftertaste. Kinda thin mouthfeel, but I feel like that helps it.

Verdict? Click here.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 15, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Thanks to crazyfish vis funkybottoms (BIF started early I guess...) I had my first Heady tonight.

Worth the hype. Great tropical fruit smell. Taste moves from light and refreshing to heavy hop bitterness, which sticks in your mouth. It's like a combination of Jai Alai and Ruination. Easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Thanks to crazyfish vis funkybottoms (BIF started early I guess...) I had my first Heady tonight.

Worth the hype. Great tropical fruit smell. Taste moves from light and refreshing to heavy hop bitterness, which sticks in your mouth. It's like a combination of Jai Alai and Ruination. Easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

It wasn't from funkybottoms, I landed another trade almost simultaneously. But let's just pretend it was, because I ain't gonna lie, it was a pretty sick box.

Edit:referring to funkybottoms's box

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 15, 2013

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm in Kansas City a week from tomorrow. I hope there are still Saison-Brett bottles kicking around. Terra Incognita would be a nice bonus.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Midorka posted:

So I've decided that July 14th will be the Philly/New Jersey bottle share/brew day that I'm going to host at my house. There'll probably be some grilling going on, the pool will be open by then and I'll be brewing. I encourage everyone to bring a bottle and if you want to brew your own beer then awesome. The sign up list is here. I'll send out my address through e-mail.

Edit: It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. I will not tolerate drunk driving at all. I'd like to not have anyone kill anyone or themselves when leaving my property. I lost a friend to a drunk driver so please be smart.

To add to this, I really should specify that I live in Atco, which is about 45 minutes from Philly and about 20 from Cherry Hill, 2 minutes from Berlin.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Had a couple nice drafts tonight. Goose Island Sofie Paradisi is really good. This is basically the ultimate beer to hit a wine drinker with, I was struck with how champagne like it was. I have had OG Sofie before but it was long enough ago that I can't give a good comparison. Regardless, super tasty and refreshing. Well done, Ubik and co ;)

For some reasonbecause I wanted to get tore up, I followed this with a Hoppin Frog BORIS draft. Poor choice when it is 95 degrees outside. Great beer, I've had it in bombers before, but it's far too heavy and boozy for summer drinkin. Should have gone with the Tank 7 that was also tempting me.

I also remembered to check in on Untappd for the first time in like a year :toot: Thanks BIF thread.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

cryme posted:

I'm in Kansas City a week from tomorrow. I hope there are still Saison-Brett bottles kicking around. Terra Incognita would be a nice bonus.

I just saw both Saison Brett and Terra (in Northern California) for the first time this week, I'd imagine there should be a lot still floating around Kansas.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I got to try Crooked Stave's Oculus tonight, and ohhhhh man was it good. I really wish I could get Crooked Stave around here, I could drink beers like that all the time.

E: Oh yeah, and the other night this guy bought a bottle of Bogedal Christmas No. 136 and shared it with everyone, and holy poo poo. It was the 'woodiest' beer I've ever had, and literally tasted like something that had an oak plank in the bottle. It was interesting to say the least.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 15, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

drank a shitload of ridiculous beer last night and in neither the mood nor the shape to think too hard about it, but Toppling Goliath KBBS and Mornin' Delight are legitimately world-class beers and i get why the trading boards are going apeshit for them- if you have the opportunity to get any, do so.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I'm going to be in Chico, CA for 5 of the next 6 weeks and I don't know anything about the area. Where's the best beer related spots to hit in/around Chico and is there anywhere worth road tripping to (maybe 3-4 hour drive max) on the weekends?

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

I'm going to be in Chico, CA for 5 of the next 6 weeks and I don't know anything about the area. Where's the best beer related spots to hit in/around Chico and is there anywhere worth road tripping to (maybe 3-4 hour drive max) on the weekends?

Russian River and Lagunitas are about 3-4 hours away.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

drank a shitload of ridiculous beer last night and in neither the mood nor the shape to think too hard about it, but Toppling Goliath KBBS and Mornin' Delight are legitimately world-class beers and i get why the trading boards are going apeshit for them- if you have the opportunity to get any, do so.

Is that available in Richmond?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

Is that available in Richmond?

no, sorry, wasn't trying to get anyone's hopes up. TG is in Iowa and is both small and fairly new- there were only 300 bottles of KBBS and they're trading for astronomical amounts. i'd look up one of the crazy-rear end offers i saw on BA, but thinking too much about beer right now is not doing my head any favors. the two IPAs opened were apparently amazing as well, but they were made with citra and mosaic, so they were far from being my thing.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I picked up a bottle of saison brett a few weeks back and just now noticed it's a 2012. Dude just started selling boulevard recently so I'm not sure why he had stuff from last year.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Uuudar posted:

Russian River and Lagunitas are about 3-4 hours away.

Sierra Nevada is right in Chico. I'd say that's worth a stop.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

Sierra Nevada is right in Chico. I'd say that's worth a stop.

:ssh: i think that's the reason he's there

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

Does anybody know if they plan on expanding soon? Hunting down ~300 bottle hyped releases is a pain, I haven't even bothered trying.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Does anybody know if they plan on expanding soon? Hunting down ~300 bottle hyped releases is a pain, I haven't even bothered trying.

I sure hope so. They've started to get a hype air around them once they served up Mornin' Delight at GTMW last year. Was hoping they would stay at least a little bit off the radar until I got to try some of their beer, but alas, no.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

I sure hope so. They've started to get a hype air around them once they served up Mornin' Delight at GTMW last year. Was hoping they would stay at least a little bit off the radar until I got to try some of their beer, but alas, no.

At least you have the "luxury" of being able to drive 5 hours to the brewery for a release if you really want to try it. Granted, it appears to be in the middle of nowhere in Iowa, but it's an option.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I got myself an early Father's day present today

Not sure what I'm going to drink tonight, and what I should take over to my dad's house tomorrow. My dad drinks bud light platinum, so I'm not worried about his tastes, but I'm trying to decide what to drink around the pool tomorrow with my shirt off and my chest hair blowing in the wind...

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Picked up a couple growlers today at Dryhop in Chicago. The Judge is an easy drinking IPA, something I could see myself drinking all summer alongside Anti-Hero and Daisy Cutter. I also got some Angry Samoan which is the coconut milk stout - decent beer, kinda thin texturally, definitely would be helped by a nitro tap. Anyways, I don't really have anything negative to say other than maybe getting some more training for the people filling growlers...worth checking out.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else going to this Living Social beer tasting thing at Lincoln Park Zoo? I'm going tonight, I'm hoping it's not nuts to butts but I think it will be.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I went through maybe 3/4 growler of Fullsteam's IPA last night. It was nice and enjoyable, super-clear, but without any remarkable hop flavor. I think it was drink by 7/23/13 fwiw. I also cracked a Nebraska Brewing Black Betty that ir eally enjoyed. Lots of oak, on a basic dry RIS. I had a bit of a Bacchus sour that was really cool. I couldn't place the flavor exactly, but it was a really nice Oud Bruin with a low acetic character, nice lactic sourness, and balanced sweet/barrel flavors.

(also had some whisky because I was getting proper drunk, but I need a do-over on that one while sober)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

confonnit posted:

Picked up a couple growlers today at Dryhop in Chicago. The Judge is an easy drinking IPA, something I could see myself drinking all summer alongside Anti-Hero and Daisy Cutter. I also got some Angry Samoan which is the coconut milk stout - decent beer, kinda thin texturally, definitely would be helped by a nitro tap. Anyways, I don't really have anything negative to say other than maybe getting some more training for the people filling growlers...worth checking out.

Cool thing at Dryhop is that growlers are $10 if you need the glass too and only $6 if you already have a growler. 64 oz of a solid pale ale is pretty sweet.