Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

fyallm posted:

SoftBank just raised its bid for Sprint to 21.6billion and 78% stake.. Lets get this poo poo going so the rollout will go even faster

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...reless-carrier/

Isn't a Dish buyout better for us as customers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Dish has terrible customer service last I checked. Softbank seems to be the better option for everyone.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, my 3rd One is ordered and on the way. If your phone is flat out broken do they still have to order one or will they swap it for one they have in stock? Mine still works fine other than the GPS, was just wondering for future reference.

It's funny that I'm having these kind of issues with the One since I had my original Palm Pre for 2 years and then my original EVO 3d for another 2 years with no problems it all. From what I've read, that is a rarity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Dish has terrible customer service last I checked. Softbank seems to be the better option for everyone.

Dish is also a straight up evil company to work for.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apparently the stockholders meeting was rescheduled from tomorrow to the 25th. I just voted for the SoftBank merger.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Bananana posted:

Well Dish doesn't have the money on hand (they're just confident they can get the funding) and has no experience running a cellular provider. The only tiny positive I could think of is that Dish owns some spectrum, which wouldn't benefit customers anytime soon and Sprint doesn't have a need for it right now.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

datajosh posted:

Well Dish doesn't have the money on hand (they're just confident they can get the funding) and has no experience running a cellular provider. The only tiny positive I could think of is that Dish owns some spectrum, which wouldn't benefit customers anytime soon and Sprint doesn't have a need for it right now.

Plus, SoftBank's CEO has expressed some serious interest in the US cellular market, and they've got the assets/war chest to burn on things like spectrum, etc.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Sprint keeps sending me alien messages.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

KillHour posted:

Blasphemy! The Sprint upgrade here will involve Byron Brown personally delivering your data to you on a 3.5 inch floppy disk while riding an invisible pink unicorn.

So just like Sprint data now, I still won't be able to use it!

:downsrim:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anonomono posted:

Weird because foreign alphabets or diacritics always get turned into question marks for me. It's annoying. I'd like to be able to send international messages properly.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
They've been lighting up towers with 4G in the Southwest Florida region for awhile now. Not all towers have it, but many do, and it is sooo nice.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Anonomono posted:

It's a message from Moriarty obviously.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Anonomono posted:

Is it a stock Rom, Which Phone?

echollin
Apr 14, 2007

Anonomono posted:

A message from 9471 means there was a problem setting up (provisioning/Over-the-Air programming) the phone. It could be caused by a bad ROM image among other things.

9471 – OMA DM – These should be invisible to the device unless the provisioning has gone wrong.

https://sites.google.com/site/irclinic1/resolving-sms-text-messaging-issues

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Has anyone with a rooted Note 2 been able to run Google Wallet? I'm running stock TW.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone notice that Sprint has been clean and free during this NSA stuff? Wonder if it was because not even terrorists will put up with that lovely of coverage.

WHAAT? WHERE DO I NEED TO PUT THE BOMB???? :jihad:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I just paid my Sprint bill and notice that my account has finally been changed to SERO 500. Since forever, it had been noted as F&F 500 and that was one reason I haven't tried to move to Premium SERO, didn't want to risk losing the deal entirely with a uninformed sales rep.

So, If I wanted to go to the $50/month plan, with a Galaxy S3, if I'm willing to sign a new 2 year agreement how much is the phone gonna cost me? Should I wait since the S4 is out now; do you expect the S3 to drop dramatically in price, buy outright and try to change plan without signing contract?

My only hesitation is that I'd hate to sign an agreement and find out that the smartphone doesn't get good service at my house or other places I get "acceptable" signal with my ancient Sanyo (with extendable antenna :D ). The only person I know with Sprint gets pretty crap service here with his iPhone 5. I also wouldn't want to buy a phone outright, see the service is no good, and then have to try and sell it, but I suppose that is preferable than being locked into an unusable phone/plan for 2 years.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

TLG James posted:

Anyone notice that Sprint has been clean and free during this NSA stuff? Wonder if it was because not even terrorists will put up with that lovely of coverage.

WHAAT? WHERE DO I NEED TO PUT THE BOMB???? :jihad:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

angryrobots posted:

So I just paid my Sprint bill and notice that my account has finally been changed to SERO 500. Since forever, it had been noted as F&F 500 and that was one reason I haven't tried to move to Premium SERO, didn't want to risk losing the deal entirely with a uninformed sales rep.

So, If I wanted to go to the $50/month plan, with a Galaxy S3, if I'm willing to sign a new 2 year agreement how much is the phone gonna cost me? Should I wait since the S4 is out now; do you expect the S3 to drop dramatically in price, buy outright and try to change plan without signing contract?

My only hesitation is that I'd hate to sign an agreement and find out that the smartphone doesn't get good service at my house or other places I get "acceptable" signal with my ancient Sanyo (with extendable antenna :D ). The only person I know with Sprint gets pretty crap service here with his iPhone 5. I also wouldn't want to buy a phone outright, see the service is no good, and then have to try and sell it, but I suppose that is preferable than being locked into an unusable phone/plan for 2 years.
I'd buy a used SGS3 and see how it is for a few months. Especially as SMR850MHz service is rolled out for better indoor reception. Then when the new tri-band-LTE SGS4 or HTC One is released later this year, sign a contract for that if you're comfortable with how things are.

Fun fact about the iPhone that I just learned on the S4GRU forum: its PRL prioritizes the 1900MHz signal over 850MHz, usually leading to lower signal strength indoors. Android phones treat the two as equal priority.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

angryrobots posted:

Should I wait since the S4 is out now; do you expect the S3 to drop dramatically in price, buy outright and try to change plan without signing contract?
The S3 is probably not going to get much cheaper than $50 subsidized in the near future, since they're still using the "free" tier to get rid of lovely phones.

angryrobots posted:

My only hesitation is that I'd hate to sign an agreement and find out that the smartphone doesn't get good service at my house or other places I get "acceptable" signal with my ancient Sanyo (with extendable antenna :D ).
You can return the phone and bail on the contract within 14 days. Note that's a day shy of two weeks, not actually two weeks. Either way, you should know in a day or two if the service is going to cut it or not.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Has anyone with a rooted Note 2 been able to run Google Wallet? I'm running stock TW.

You should be able to. Mines stock and rooted and it works, but even unrooted should work.

Assuming yours isn't working:
Try clearing the wallet data? Did you try any wallet hacks from before it went official on the Sprint Note 2 to make it work?
Does it give you any error messages or stop at any one spot during install, setup, use, etc. Or any other pertinent Wallet related info.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Question: I just switched to Sprint from Verizon. I knew I would be giving up that sweet 4G LTE that VZW has deployed everywhere, but Sensorly reports that there is LTE around me in spots. Problem is that I am not getting any LTE where Sensorly says I should - is it normal for LTE to be turned on and off in non launched markets (still testing I guess). Phone is an iPhone 5 if that makes any difference.

Voice quality/coverage is stronger than Verizon at work (couldn't take calls at my desk), but the spotty data has me scared for an upcoming road trip.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

bigtom posted:

Question: I just switched to Sprint from Verizon. I knew I would be giving up that sweet 4G LTE that VZW has deployed everywhere, but Sensorly reports that there is LTE around me in spots. Problem is that I am not getting any LTE where Sensorly says I should - is it normal for LTE to be turned on and off in non launched markets (still testing I guess). Phone is an iPhone 5 if that makes any difference.

Voice quality/coverage is stronger than Verizon at work (couldn't take calls at my desk), but the spotty data has me scared for an upcoming road trip.

Son, *sits you down* let me tell you about sprint "coverage"...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You're going to be putting up with spotty data for the next 6-12 months, depending upon where you live. Yes, LTE gets turned on and off during post-installation testing.

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013

td4guy posted:

You're going to be putting up with spotty data for the next 6-12 months, depending upon where you live. Yes, LTE gets turned on and off during post-installation testing.

Maybe I'm living under a rock but what causes you to say data coverage will be spotty for that timeframe?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

tehDiceman posted:

Maybe I'm living under a rock but what causes you to say data coverage will be spotty for that timeframe?

The fact that every LTE area is having problems?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tehDiceman posted:

Wherever you are with sprint it would be spotty?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Christ almighty, why would anyone switch TO Sprint from Verizon?

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Stick100 posted:

Is it a stock Rom, Which Phone?

It's Stock Rooted.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

iostream.h posted:

Because, fortuitiously, he or she has a Sprint antenna closer to work. If only we could all be so lucky.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

iostream.h posted:

Because it's really expensive to usenet on vzw.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

td4guy posted:

Because, fortuitiously, he or she has a Sprint antenna closer to work. If only we could all be so lucky.

I have a Sprint tower 100 yards from work and I still barely get data. I can't wait for them to start upgrading that tower. It's one of the few towers in the area they haven't yet touched.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

iostream.h posted:

Three reasons - 1) Price (was paying $120/month), 2) recently moved from NJ to Eastern NC, where Verizon coverage isn't as strong 3) Tower near where I work means I can use my phone indoors.

I've followed Sprint for a while (my dad has them in Houston and hasn't had any complaints). Figured what the hell, and that Network Vision be coming to my area eventually.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I just got a Galaxy S4 yesterday and lo and behold Foxfi which is like half the reason I even have a cellphone doesn't work.

Apparently you can "root" (I don't know what this is) the phone and make the wifi hotspot work but I find all of this to be very confusing. Can someone point me to the easiest "rooting" instructions that will result in me being able to turn on a hotspot?

Also, if I root the phone do I have to reinstall all apps/contacts, etc?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Anonomono posted:

It's Stock Rooted.

Yeah as others said it most likely the OMA text messages that request your phone call back to OMA to finish provisioning. In either case it should not surface to the OS if you haven't modified the SMS application. You might want to do a OMA UIDC/CIDC to update your Network credentials.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Loucks posted:

Because it's really expensive to usenet on vzw.
If I had to go back to 56k usenet I think I'd just give it up altogether.
That said, I'm hoping next month my budget supports snagging a grandfathered VZW account and finally making the swap.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bewbies posted:

So I just got a Galaxy S4 yesterday and lo and behold Foxfi which is like half the reason I even have a cellphone doesn't work.

Apparently you can "root" (I don't know what this is) the phone and make the wifi hotspot work but I find all of this to be very confusing. Can someone point me to the easiest "rooting" instructions that will result in me being able to turn on a hotspot?

Also, if I root the phone do I have to reinstall all apps/contacts, etc?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257101
The OP there even has a "How to get free native hotspot" link.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12529

Anyone who has a WiMax phone can leave or upgrade .

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

quote:

WiMax customers who switch to LTE will be given a free LTE-compatible device under certain circumstances.

Anyone know what these circumstances are? My friend is using an old GNEX because she couldn't handle her EVO Shift (maybe it was a Knight?) anymore.

Her contract is up in November tho, so I doubt they care about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder whether family plans have to upgrade or if they can cancel the lines with wimax phones. I convinced my mother to switch 5 lines over from VZW since they were fixing to gently caress Alltel customers over after the buyout. She still gives me poo poo about how useless the data service is. She's 55 and terrible at computers but she can tell when poo poo data is poo poo.