Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of the best quad suits I've ever seen:

Apparently it won "1st place friday hall costume contest, and then when I did a walk-on with him at the cosplay show he got the 'People's Choice' award" at A-Kon 2011.
It hides the costumer's human shape so well that it looks really weird when she starts walking upright:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8TXvM42Kw

I saw that in person at Akon it was my favorite that I have seen in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Was there some sort of periscope or did he just rely on having helpers?

Something like this http://www.belayspecs.com/ would probably be nice.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
If I recall correctly there was a panel in the neck that was mesh so he could see through.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
There are a couple of videos out there about it. This one shows how it's worn.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cDwmvDHaJWQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcDwmvDHaJWQ

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

LadyRavenWaves posted:

If I recall correctly there was a panel in the neck that was mesh so he could see through.

Yes, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to rig a system for limited forward vision, particularly if you changed the 'resting' angle of the headpiece to be a little more nose-up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Speleothing posted:

Yes, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to rig a system for limited forward vision, particularly if you changed the 'resting' angle of the headpiece to be a little more nose-up.

You can see in the video that one of her friends changes the angle of the head for her when she switches between standing and crawling.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
From Edmund McMillen's blog:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of the best quad suits I've ever seen:

Apparently it won "1st place friday hall costume contest, and then when I did a walk-on with him at the cosplay show he got the 'People's Choice' award" at A-Kon 2011.
It hides the costumer's human shape so well that it looks really weird when she starts walking upright:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8TXvM42Kw

You just know this is going to lead to even more creepy ponies though.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
This guy was apparently roaming around at this past weekend's Star Trek convention in Boston:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Aatrek posted:

This guy was apparently roaming around at this past weekend's Star Trek convention in Boston:

Aw man, that's incredible. Are we sure he wasn't cloned from James Doohan?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Aatrek posted:

I was actually staring at the woman's costume at first wondering what was so great about it that she won the contest and got to hang out with Scotty.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

You can see in the video that one of her friends changes the angle of the head for her when she switches between standing and crawling.

I watched the video.
But she also said that she can only see the 3 feet directly in front of her front 'legs'. A slightly more erect neck/head assembly and maybe a set of belay glasses would solve that.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I was actually staring at the woman's costume at first wondering what was so great about it that she won the contest and got to hang out with Scotty.

I have some bad news for you.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Hydrolith posted:

And a really creepy story... This company was selling body pillows with pictures (front and back) of cosplayers at various cons without their consent:

Oh the humanity

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

benito posted:

And a really creepy story... This company was selling body pillows with pictures (front and back) of cosplayers at various cons without their consent:

Oh the humanity

It's creepy yeah but they DID get permission. All the women he made body pillows of signed model release forms and didn't bother to read the bits about how he can use the photos for anything he wants, including printing them on pillow sheets to sell at a con.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

FirstAidKite posted:

It's creepy yeah but they DID get permission. All the women he made body pillows of signed model release forms and didn't bother to read the bits about how he can use the photos for anything he wants, including printing them on pillow sheets to sell at a con.

The photographer didn't just print them of the women, he did several costumers. He responded and actually sent them a copy of his model release.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/122603-animenext-cosplay-pillow-maker-responds-to-controversy.html

They're not "full size, creepy sex doll, body pillows" they're little ones and if people are doing "dirty" things with them then... Well really does any costumer, ladies in particular, that sells prints of themselves believe that no one is buying them to fap over?

Honestly if we'd stop making people "famous" for showing their "assets" off in a costume/picture and get costuming back to making kick rear end stuff cause we want to run around in spandex with our friends then maybe people like the lady that made the Nitefury would get more appreciation than a random chick wearing a Power Girl costume. (Not picking in PG costumers, its just got the boob window and all) I showed that clip to a friend who tried to track down contact info so he could talk to her about her costume (he makes similar things for a living and wanted to talk shop i guess) and say how great it was.... He had a very hard time finding anything beyond her screen name.

I have no problems if you want to sell your prints. Whatever. But don't get mad when you sign a model release that you didn't read and someone else starts making a buck off the photo that they took and not cutting you in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hydrolith posted:

You know, he's not really gone as long as we find a way to remember him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's getting kind of close to a "shouldn't have been dressed that way" argument.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Killer_Frost posted:

But don't get mad when you sign a model release that you didn't read and someone else starts making a buck off the photo that they took and not cutting you in.

Speaking of people who can't be bothered to read poo poo, here's a part of the article:

quote:

He asked me to sign a model release so that he could post the image on his website. I actually did read over the release before signing and saw nothing in there that seemed as though it could be used on a product.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There is something kind of funny about everyone getting especially mad that they have pictures on the back as well.

Room Temperature
Oct 16, 2007

mildly amusing

TTBF posted:

Speaking of people who can't be bothered to read poo poo, here's a part of the article:

I saw that, but check the other linked article where they actually posted the release. The very first paragraph explicitly states the images can be used for any purpose. Just because they weren't imaginative enough to think of putting them on pillows doesn't make it any less of a possibility. I think the vendor is still in the wrong here, assuming he misrepresented the intent of the release, or gave some kind of verbal reassurance about the uses of the photos. My sympathy for the cosplayers has dropped a bit though.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
This reminds me of the South Park episode where Kyle wouldn't read the agreements he was signing from Apple Inc, and Steve Jobs abducted him and turned him into part of the Human Centipad.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
I'd be more mad if I didnt get a cut of the perv pillow pennies.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
They said they were giving all the printed pillows to the cosplayers portrayed on them, leaving me kind of wishing that I had a huge heap of pillows covered in pictures of myself cosplaying to lounge around on.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Anyone notice cosplay kind of sounds like Cosby?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yep.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The Internship was supposed to have a cosplay party scene where Will Ferrell repeatedly calls it Cosby. It was removed for the theatrical cut, though. Unrated DVD, right!?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yeah this guy is awesome, he even has shrunken monuments as a prop

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I showed this to a friend and they immediately went with "Brainiblack."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He looks like he could do a badass Teal'c from Stargate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sailor Pyramid Head.

No idea where it's from, found it on twitter.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I know a bunch of you have been waiting for the Chicago convention costume photos... so go check 'em out!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aatrek posted:

I know a bunch of you have been waiting for the Chicago convention costume photos... so go check 'em out!

I give up, what race is the guy in blue cosplaying as?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Well, in that photo, human. It's the "future" version of the Starfleet uniform featured in some of the TV shows, notably the TNG and Voyager finales.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's high concept. He's going as Lousy Dave Grohl As A Half-Assed Trekkie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aatrek posted:

Well, in that photo, human. It's the "future" version of the Starfleet uniform featured in some of the TV shows, notably the TNG and Voyager finales.

Now you've got me wondering if anyone has cosplayed as the SUPER future version of Starfleet from those few episodes of Voyager:

Ahhh, Bruce McGill...continuing the fine tradition of actors who were in both Star Trek and Babylon 5.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jun 14, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ahhh, Bruce McGill...continuing the fine tradition of actors who were in both Star Trek and Babylon 5.

I can never quite accept that Bruce McGill was D-Day in National Lampoon's Animal House.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rhyno posted:

I give up, what race is the guy in blue cosplaying as?

Hoobastank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
^^^ :lol:

a kitten posted:

Sailor Pyramid Head.

No idea where it's from, found it on twitter.

The moon at the end of the knife handle is a nice touch

• Locked thread