Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
I just started a Chiss Imperial Agent on Jedi Covenant, character name is Draede. I plan to become an Operative most likely. If anyone is online tonight if I could get an invite to That's No Goon it would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

Datasmurf posted:

So a friend of mine just started to play, or at least tries to play. Every time he logs on, he is met with severe spikes, and his MS goes betwen 6k and 20k all the time, which makes it more or less unplayable.
This only happens in SW:TOR mind you, WoW and other online games are fine and dandy with max 50 ms.

He has flushed his DNS, restarted the router and the modem, contacted his ISP (no problems from their side), deleted the DiskArenaCache file, reinstalled the game and most of the other stuff I've suggested he try, and it's still horrible.
Then he sent a mail to support, but only got a generic answer back, that didn't really attend to his specific problems.

We're both playing on the English PvE server in EU and we both live in Norway. I on the other hand, have no problems what so ever when I fire up the game.

Any idea about what he can do to make it playable?

I had this problem a few times a day. I changed these registry settings and it seems to have fixed it. Been 2 days now and haven't had a problem since.

http://b.rideekulo.us/2009/09/windows-7-nagles-algorithm-and-gaming/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Makeb is big and confusing to me, but I'd like to get up to Hero status so I can get the implant recipes. Anyone have any recommendations for the best way to farm reputation? The staged weekly seems to take a long freaking time to do each one, though I guess I could have just picked the longest ones...seriously, one of the missions took over an hour and I was stealthing past mobs left and right...

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Makeb is big and confusing to me, but I'd like to get up to Hero status so I can get the implant recipes. Anyone have any recommendations for the best way to farm reputation? The staged weekly seems to take a long freaking time to do each one, though I guess I could have just picked the longest ones...seriously, one of the missions took over an hour and I was stealthing past mobs left and right...

Go to dulfy.net immediately. There staged weekly missions are listed in the makeb guide, they tell you which ones are long and which ones are short. The staged weekly takes me about an hour. Once you've run it a few times, you'll figure out you can speeder past most of the crap. If you're a stealth class, you can speeder past most of the crap, and then pop stealth to get out of combat. I do that with all the dailies and weeklies. Plus, if you have everything up, you can do the GSI makeb dailies, the regular dailies, and the staged weekly together and more than 1 thing in a couple of mesas.

Those rep items drop like crazy off mobs. I hit hero status pretty quickly, but i also ran the makeb story with 3 different characters, which helped.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Go to dulfy.net immediately. There staged weekly missions are listed in the makeb guide, they tell you which ones are long and which ones are short. The staged weekly takes me about an hour. Once you've run it a few times, you'll figure out you can speeder past most of the crap. If you're a stealth class, you can speeder past most of the crap, and then pop stealth to get out of combat. I do that with all the dailies and weeklies. Plus, if you have everything up, you can do the GSI makeb dailies, the regular dailies, and the staged weekly together and more than 1 thing in a couple of mesas.

Those rep items drop like crazy off mobs. I hit hero status pretty quickly, but i also ran the makeb story with 3 different characters, which helped.

Wait - is reputation legacy wide? Or character wide?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Legacy wide. You'll get makeb rep easily if you have multiple 55s.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

wtftastic posted:

Great, thank you for the advice. I had a sneaking suspicion Choke wasn't really a very good filler (since its channeled and I don't think it ticks for very much). I'll have to do some more practicing on what actually activates Shockwave (I knew Enrage granted shockwave, but I was never sure when to fill it in). I'll practice this on some dummies and hopefully be able to try it out in a FP. I find a lot of times that I freeze when I'm waiting for poo poo on cool down which isn't necessary. Its just a bad panic fueled habit.
Wish I knew the Juggernaut names as well as I did Guardian, but:

Force Leap, Enrage, Smash, Scream, Ravage, Force Crush, Obliterate, Assault for rage, Smash, Scream, Vicious Slash filler repeat. Saber throw when available (Assuming you have two piece, and you should get it ASAP if you don't). Just replace the Force Leap with Obliterate since you'll be <10m for the majority of the most boss fights.

Stat priorities are Strength >= Accuracy (to 100% only) > power > surge. Take no critical rating or alacrity. Power and surge are your stack stats. Augments for strength.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Legacy wide. You'll get makeb rep easily if you have multiple 55s.

...wow, wish I would have known that earlier. I was dreading grinding reputation for 8 characters...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Early-morning GTN sniping is the best.

Corellian Hand Cannon Besh (for Tharan): $5,000
Red Efficiency Scanner (for Tharan; would prefer blue but those are pricey): $10,000
Covert Energy Boots (for Qyzen since boots don't show on him anyway): $13,100

Covert Gloves are all at $100k+ though, and AFAIK there is no Covert Helmet. :argh:

e: Is there any heavy armor Republic-side that looks more like Bounty Hunter gear than Trooper armor? Seems like that would be more appropriate for Qyzen...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 14, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WarLocke posted:

Red Efficiency Scanner (for Tharan; would prefer blue but those are pricey): $10,000

Covert Gloves are all at $100k+ though, and AFAIK there is no Covert Helmet. :argh:

Turn on hide helmets for a free Covert Helmet?

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
So apparently there is no way to restart planet storylines once you abandon them. Having just gotten to and and hosed around a bit in Alderaan, I felt that I'd rather start fresh on the planet when I get back home next week and therefore abandoned my missions, but lo and behold... the dude on the orbital station is now mute since the inability to restart planet storylines is supposedly a brilliant design decision that will render the entire chain unavailable for eternity once you abandon them.

Ugh, the whole power struggle thing is like a perfect fit for my sith inquisitor too. :cripes:

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 14, 2013

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Atlas Moth posted:

So apparently there is no way to restart planet storylines once you abandon them. Having just gotten to and and hosed around a bit in Alderaan, I felt that I'd rather start fresh on the planet when I get back home next week and therefore abandoned my missions, but lo and behold... the dude on the orbital station is now mute since the inability to restart planet storylines is supposedly a brilliant design decision that will render the entire chain unavailable for eternity once you abandon them.

Ugh, the whole power struggle thing is like a perfect fit for my sith inquisitor too. :cripes:

Abandoning it might not have set you back to the beginning of the entire quest chain. Try poking around the planet wherever you had previously hosed around a bit, there's most likely somebody you can talk to and pick it up in the middle.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Normally if you abandon a quest that has a simple 'go to this person' objective you just lose the 1-2k XP reward you get for going to them, but can go to them to pick up the quest. So in your case, you can go to that guy in the Thul House I think.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
I had just spoken to the guy in the orbital station and Lord Thul, but none of them are letting me pick up the quest again. I tried teaming up with people just arriving on the planet to see if that'd work, but no, you're just really not supposed to drop planet storylines for some inexplicable reason. It irks the completionist in me.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Atlas Moth posted:

I had just spoken to the guy in the orbital station and Lord Thul, but none of them are letting me pick up the quest again. I tried teaming up with people just arriving on the planet to see if that'd work, but no, you're just really not supposed to drop planet storylines for some inexplicable reason. It irks the completionist in me.

I think that's a mistake with that one quest then, because I've dropped planet quests multiple times (Hoth, Belsavis, Quesh) and been able to continue by going to the next person in the 'chain'. Might want to report it as a bug.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

KittyEmpress posted:

I think that's a mistake with that one quest then, because I've dropped planet quests multiple times (Hoth, Belsavis, Quesh) and been able to continue by going to the next person in the 'chain'. Might want to report it as a bug.

No, I mean it's literally a design feature. I'm talking about the overarching planet storyline, not individual side quests. CSRs on the official boards have confirmed that once you abandon a quest in one of these chains; it's gone forever. :unsmith:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Atlas Moth posted:

No, I mean it's literally a design feature. I'm talking about the overarching planet storyline, not individual side quests. CSRs on the official boards have confirmed that once you abandon a quest in one of these chains; it's gone forever. :unsmith:

What kind of a gloriously idiotic idea is that even supposed to be ?!

If you really want to live that quest line, there was a time where you could create characters on the public test server and just set them to any level you wanted. Which was pretty helpful if you just wanted to rush through all the class quests.

I guess if that's still a thing you could try to do that to see this storyline ?

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

WarLocke posted:

e: Is there any heavy armor Republic-side that looks more like Bounty Hunter gear than Trooper armor? Seems like that would be more appropriate for Qyzen...

One of my favourite tricks is to buy the boxed Upper or Lower sets of expensive armour, unpack them, wait until they unbind, then list both pieces for way more than what I paid for the set. I'll see poo poo like Spymaster's Upper for 30k regularly and the chest will sell LOW at 75k and 100k high.

I've also funded my crippling Pretty Pretty Princess addiction by doing this.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Atlas Moth posted:

It must only happen if you abandon the quest between the space station and the planet then, because I abandoned the Hoth planet quest to go to the next base (because I was leaving the planet) and was able to pick up the rest of the story line by going to the base and talking to the guy.

Did the same thing with Belsavis last night between the first base and the second one.

Please don't assume I don't know what you're talking about, in the future. I specifically called out it being a chain of quests I could continue not an 'individual side quest'.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Atlas Moth posted:

I don't think this is the case. I've abandoned a planet storyline by accident a few times and I've been able to pick them back up. It's taken a bit of googling to find out who I need to talk to pick it back up but it's doable. Hoth took me like an hour to pick back up because the actual guy I needed to talk was in some remote mountain cave.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

WarLocke posted:

It is. I got two Correllian Bunker Buster Besh/Desh for 300 credits each once. I'm pretty sure you can vendor that for more.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Bunch of questions.

- How many Vice Comm/Archon boxes will I have to open to hit Outsider with the Cartel Resale guys.

- Will be hitting 55 later on Jeyte. Still have no Relics, and no idea what Enhancements are, but I've got almost a full set of Purple Black Hole gear from FPs. What would be the best way to gear up for PvP?

- I want to do all the Operations at least once, but just to see the bosses/"story". Is there any real changes between the difficulty modes, or is it just the bosses do different things. Technically, could I queue up for a 16 Story Mode Op using the group finder, and heal it alright as a Black Hole geared Seer Sage, or would I need better gear.

- How bad is the group finder for Operations? Don't even bother, or decent.

- Where do I start Heroic Space Missions?

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Fathis Munk posted:

What kind of a gloriously idiotic idea is that even supposed to be ?!

If you really want to live that quest line, there was a time where you could create characters on the public test server and just set them to any level you wanted. Which was pretty helpful if you just wanted to rush through all the class quests.

I guess if that's still a thing you could try to do that to see this storyline ?

That can't bode well for my sub. Class quests are like the primary reason I play SWTOR. Downloading PTR now. :respek:

Rascyc posted:

I don't think this is the case. I've abandoned a planet storyline by accident a few times and I've been able to pick them back up. It's taken a bit of googling to find out who I need to talk to pick it back up but it's doable. Hoth took me like an hour to pick back up because the actual guy I needed to talk was in some remote mountain cave.

Welp. I went ahead and tried this but alas, the hologram thing I needed to interact with prior to abandoning the mission won't even acknowledge my existence. I guess I abandoned it at the worst time possible. I sent out a ticket but word on the official forums is that the CSRs really don't give a poo poo about this problem.

@ KittyEmpress -- Apologies if I came off as a dick, not my intention.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I've just completed the Foundy with me an another DPS Ops as the DPS duo. That was the fastest I've seen mobs drop ever. I'm guessing 2 snipers/gunslingers would be even better...

Then I came back to the fleet and saw this:

:smith:

I'm not even on an RP server.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Hulk Smash! posted:

I've just completed the Foundy with me an another DPS Ops as the DPS duo. That was the fastest I've seen mobs drop ever. I'm guessing 2 snipers/gunslingers would be even better...

Then I came back to the fleet and saw this:

:smith:

I'm not even on an RP server.

I put on my jedi robe and laser sword...

I recently browsed the adaptive armor section of the GTN and really there are so much "sexy" armors, it's getting kinda depressing. Between the dancer set, the relaxed set and the completely stupid invisible chest armors, I really don't know what's worse :smith:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Atlas Moth posted:

That can't bode well for my sub. Class quests are like the primary reason I play SWTOR. Downloading PTR now. :respek:

The instant leveling thing isn't available anymore. That was only on the PTS before Makeb's release because they needed people to be able to test the 55 Ops and FPs, but they didn't include the Makeb content on the PTS for people to level 50-55 that way.

Atlas Moth posted:

Welp. I went ahead and tried this but alas, the hologram thing I needed to interact with prior to abandoning the mission won't even acknowledge my existence. I guess I abandoned it at the worst time possible. I sent out a ticket but word on the official forums is that the CSRs really don't give a poo poo about this problem.

You don't go to the thing that the mission you abandoned sent you to. Of course that's not going to work, because you no longer have that mission active. You have to go back to the person you originally picked the dropped mission up from and pick it up again.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

I recently browsed the adaptive armor section of the GTN and really there are so much "sexy" armors, it's getting kinda depressing. Between the dancer set, the relaxed set and the completely stupid invisible chest armors, I really don't know what's worse :smith:

At the end of FPs, I always call out people wearing "sexy" armors. Most have little if anything to say for themselves. That doesn't compare to the time when the guy with a female character wearing a slave girl outfit started actively flirting with another group member :catstare:

There are some plusses. I saw a guy with a type 4 female body in the slave girl outfit. The Amazon woman effect was hilarious.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Red Crown posted:

At the end of FPs, I always call out people wearing "sexy" armors. Most have little if anything to say for themselves. That doesn't compare to the time when the guy with a female character wearing a slave girl outfit started actively flirting with another group member :catstare:

There are some plusses. I saw a guy with a type 4 female body in the slave girl outfit. The Amazon woman effect was hilarious.

I fully support wearing the Dancer outfits on my female characters. Why? Cheap adaptive gear.

Same reason I used to run around in the Formal gear. Plus, I dislike the looks of most high level FP gear. Too busy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

KittyEmpress posted:

I fully support wearing the Dancer outfits on my female characters. Why? Cheap adaptive gear.

Same reason I used to run around in the Formal gear. Plus, I dislike the looks of most high level FP gear. Too busy.

I dunno, I think that gear looks stupid and doesn't fit in. Seriously there are easy ways to find low level oranges for whatever class that will look way more awesome and appropriate to being a space hero.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fathis Munk posted:

I dunno, I think that gear looks stupid and doesn't fit in. Seriously there are easy ways to find low level oranges for whatever class that will look way more awesome and appropriate to being a space hero.

Oh, I'm sure I could try to find cool space hero duds to wear, but that does take some :effort:

The only class whose armors I really have liked so far is my Agent, though I'll likely try to search for a nice trench coat for my upcoming Smuggler, if I ever make it. But even low level Inquisitor stuff is ugly.

Now, if I was space rich and could get Calo Nord/Bastilla Shan/Revan/Malak's gear, then that'd be cool.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh, I'm sure I could try to find cool space hero duds to wear, but that does take some :effort:

The only class whose armors I really have liked so far is my Agent, though I'll likely try to search for a nice trench coat for my upcoming Smuggler, if I ever make it. But even low level Inquisitor stuff is ugly.

Now, if I was space rich and could get Calo Nord/Bastilla Shan/Revan/Malak's gear, then that'd be cool.

The troublemakers Duster :swoon:

If I could I'd get that one for all my characters I think but I'm way to space-poor it's like 700k a piece :smith:

I've found some nice stuff for all the classes so far, for force users I just stick with the low level stuff generally. My marauder will probably never stop wearing the Black Talon chest.

What is infuriating me at the moment is that even after a dozen Hammer station runs on my healer commando I never got the drat trooper chestpiece :argh: I finally want to start wearing real heavy armor. Why do BH get that nice solid armor from the beginning whereas troopers have to make do with shirts ?!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

The troublemakers Duster :swoon:

If I could I'd get that one for all my characters I think but I'm way to space-poor it's like 700k a piece :smith:

I've found some nice stuff for all the classes so far, for force users I just stick with the low level stuff generally. My marauder will probably never stop wearing the Black Talon chest.

What is infuriating me at the moment is that even after a dozen Hammer station runs on my healer commando I never got the drat trooper chestpiece :argh: I finally want to start wearing real heavy armor. Why do BH get that nice solid armor from the beginning whereas troopers have to make do with shirts ?!

The good news is that I'm pretty sure every FP drops everything you need to look good as a Medic. I know Mandalorian Raiders drops a chest, a helmet, and legs.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, I really need to stop trying to game the GTN. Was looking for a cool new saber for my Assassin and noticed about six pages of "derelict sabers" from the latest pack, most ranging from 1,000,000 to 100,000 credits... and snagged three or four that were sitting around 20,000 for some reason, hoping to pawn them off for a gain.

And now I just have a sinking feeling that the price will plummet instead of stabilizing above my investment. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do derelict sabers have a visual effect?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fathis Munk posted:

This is because all packs usually have garbage slots in them and for a long time all of the bare skin pieces filled that slot. I think this time they went with jawagrams, but I can't say for certain until the first wave of GTN bound timers are up.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Aphrodite posted:

Do derelict sabers have a visual effect?

Not that I have seen. They seem fairly pointless except for being a different model of saber, which I suppose some people might consider a point. A point that is fairly moot to me since I'm not going to replace my Gree saber until a new rep location opens up with a different, better saber.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I barely even notice saber skins unless I'm in a cutscene. Crystals are a differet story of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I barely even notice saber skins unless I'm in a cutscene. Crystals are a differet story of course.

Yeah, that's why I only care about the ones that make your blade do weird stuff.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The female version of the Relaxed sets seem to be based on Ahsoka Tano's outfit from the animated series. It doesn't really register on the weirdness scale for me but maybe I've been desensitized to video game armors.

Yesterday I ran a random queue Scum & Villainy with a few guildmates and about halfway through two people disconnected and we had some trouble re-queueing (the queue button became greyed out) even after manually inviting some replacements. Doing it through the queue gives you the quest reward for additional ultimate commendations, so here's a workaround in case it happens to anyone else:

- Disband the group of 8 entirely
- Reinvite into two separate groups of 4
- Each group independently queues, make sure 'match groups in progress' is toggled on (it's off by default)
- When the group matcher confirmation box comes up, make sure you are matched with the other group and also that it is for the desired instance (S&V in this case, not TFB) before confirming. If either of these don't match, decline the confirmation. The point of splitting into two groups is that you can avoid getting queued for the other instance. If you are getting the correct instance but not the right people, put the random people you see in the group matcher on your ignore list and then re-queue until you are matched with the other group of 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Promethium posted:

Yesterday I ran a random queue Scum & Villainy with a few guildmates and about halfway through two people disconnected and we had some trouble re-queueing (the queue button became greyed out) even after manually inviting some replacements. Doing it through the queue gives you the quest reward for additional ultimate commendations, so here's a workaround in case it happens to anyone else:

- Disband the group of 8 entirely
- Reinvite into two separate groups of 4
- Each group independently queues, make sure 'match groups in progress' is toggled on (it's off by default)
- When the group matcher confirmation box comes up, make sure you are matched with the other group and also that it is for the desired instance (S&V in this case, not TFB) before confirming. If either of these don't match, decline the confirmation. The point of splitting into two groups is that you can avoid getting queued for the other instance. If you are getting the correct instance but not the right people, put the random people you see in the group matcher on your ignore list and then re-queue until you are matched with the other group of 4.

All you should have had to do was to disband the group (its a gf group at that point), reset all phases, reform the group (now a non gf group) then as soon as the group leader queues it'll pop; decline if its the wrong thing.

• Locked thread