Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

That side profile looks like a child drew the roof way too short. It looks silly. The front profile is nice though and I like the copper/matte black color choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Chris Harris drives the new 991 GT3 with the flappy paddles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdme4ISq8Y

Something about that exhaust sound seems uninspiring and not worth the seconds they spend showing it... maybe I'm broken :ohdear:

It sounds like a GT3, which is the point. Porsche 911's never sound that exciting because they're only flat sixes. My favorite Porsche sound is actually the turbo because it covers the flat six sound almost entirely. Not because a flat six doesn't sound nice, but because it sounds like a jet fighter. That is just awesome.

In sadder news:
Jason Leffler lost his life tonight. In times like this we need to learn from what happened to ensure it doesn't happen again. Not a NASCAR fan, but that doesn't matter in times like this.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/12/us/nascar-driver-killed/index.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hog Obituary posted:

Something about that exhaust sound seems uninspiring and not worth the seconds they spend showing it... maybe I'm broken :ohdear:

Keep in mind that this was a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing that Harris had to do 100% by himself. He's an auto journo, not a cinematographer.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Kerrow posted:

I posted a new Skoda Octavia some time ago, now they released the vRS (220HP, lowered) version.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-skoda-octavia-vrs-revealed

The sedan is pretty boring, but oh man, that wagon in white :swoon:

It just RIGHT expept the wheels.

The exterior seems a little generic to me, but the interior looks absolutely fantastic. Black and white gauges are just so classy.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 13, 2013

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
All I see is a bunch of monochromatic grainy cheap plastic that would be lambasted in an American vehicle. It looks like the 2007 Pontiac G6 I sat in recently.

Gauge clusters all looked like that in the early 1990s.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

All I see is a bunch of monochromatic grainy cheap plastic that would be lambasted in an American vehicle. It looks like the 2007 Pontiac G6 I sat in recently.

I agree with you: boring, even a little on the ugly side but:
Nearly all soft touch and indestructible with a nice quality feel. Have you ever put your rear end in a VW group car ? Not very daring design, but the interiors will outlast most everything else on the road.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Aurune posted:

Porsche 911's never sound that exciting because they're only flat sixes.

Aircooled 911s sound great, but to each his own.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

PBCrunch posted:

The interior pretty is much the same as the rental Jetta I drove a couple weeks ago.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I've been in both a 2007 G6 (rental) and a ~2009 Skoda Octavia (taxi), and I can tell you that in person there is a tangible difference in quality. The Skoda has a much nicer interior, despite what you might think from the pictures.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Spatule posted:

Nearly all soft touch and indestructible with a nice quality feel. Have you ever put your rear end in a VW group car ? Not very daring design, but the interiors will outlast most everything else on the road.

Are... Are you praising VW's soft touch interior?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here's a new concept from Toyota: Build Your Own Car

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/toyota-camatte57s-concept-gives-families-carbuilding-project-174451821.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlzbn-o5vs

I would buy the poo poo out of that

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Spatule posted:

I pulled the door handle off a 5-year-old New Beetle by attempting to close the door. It came off before the door even started moving. The plastic retaining tabs the the clips or whatever slide into snapped right off.

Volkswagens are poo poo.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Might be luck but I've never been in a VW with anything broken. Many other brands, even on seemingly newish cars, yes (Volvo - a V60, Mercedes - a C Class, Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet, Opel, Fiat, Renault, Peugeot etc etc).
Given that VW is everywhere, it's unlikely it was pure luck.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Devyl posted:

Are... Are you praising VW's soft touch interior?

Yes, why ? Recent VWs such as the golf have really nice quality interiors. Not in the US ?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Spatule posted:

Yes, why ? Recent VWs such as the golf have really nice quality interiors. Not in the US ?

From what I've seen they're only nice when they are brand new - everything seems superficially good quality but wears out extremely quickly.

Modern Skodas are actually better in that regard - they may not look as nice brand new but they do tend to last the distance better.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Personal taste for interiors is obviously going to vary widely, but I felt that our base-model 2008 Jetta's interior was quite nice. The materials felt nice and it held up well over time. When we sold the car with 100k on it, there were still no rattles or squeaks and there were no broken bits. It was much, much nicer than the interior in my 2007 Mustang. The Mustang plastics felt super cheap and was a rattly mess by 60k, to the point that I unloaded a roll of foam tape under many of the panels in an effort to quiet it down.

Note that I can't say the same about the Jetta's electrical system. Door lock motors, window regulators, and sun visors (due to the light in the mirror) were replaced several times.

I should also note that I've driven a 2012 Jetta and the current generation got a noticeably cheaper interior as part of the downmarket move (that also brought back the 2.slow and the beam axle). The current Golf still retains the older, better interior materials.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Spatule posted:

Every VW I've owned has had the soft touch turn into a mess like this:

One accidental scratch or nick/ding and it's time to either replace the part or strip it down to the bare plastic & re-paint.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm utterly gobsmacked anyone doesnt love the poo poo out of a flat 6 at full cry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Skoda logo looks bad fuckin rear end in silver and black.

Interiors are quite subjective. I like that interior. Looks like the NA Passat but less cheap.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hog Obituary posted:

Chris Harris drives the new 991 GT3 with the flappy paddles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdme4ISq8Y

That is very nice. And it is really interesting to hear about the changes that Porsche did to the front end of the GT3 and the rear wheel steering. Also interesting to hear Chris' personal views on flappy paddle gearboxes

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm utterly gobsmacked anyone doesnt love the poo poo out of a flat 6 at full cry.

I never really liked the sound of Porsche engines much, outside of the Turbos. That GT3 sounds pretty good revved out, but when you compare it to the sound of a C6R Corvette, or any Aston, or an AMG62/63 or any V12, or most v10s, or an MV Agusta i4...
well it sounds better than an M3 at least.
I think loving Porsche sounds goes hand in hand with loving Porsches. If you don't love Porsches, by extension you don't love Porsche sounds. Maybe that's just me. Probably.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Confirmed: Audi is the new BMW prickmobile.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Says "illicitencounters.com." Definitely a reliable source.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

You Am I posted:

That is very nice. And it is really interesting to hear about the changes that Porsche did to the front end of the GT3 and the rear wheel steering. Also interesting to hear Chris' personal views on flappy paddle gearboxes

I'm surprised he didn't test the 'clutch kick' feature.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I seem to recall Top Gear already warning us that cocks were now driving Audis.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of BMW, the 4-series photos are out. Not sure how it relates to the thread title, but compare and contrast yourself:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/14/2014-bmw-4-series-coupe-images-leak-out/

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It really doesn't need that tiny pecker of a side fender vent. Looks autozone stick-on inspired.

e: VVV It looks like it already has signal repeaters in the mirrors. The black piece just looks like more vent-fad. VVV

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 14, 2013

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Huh, I thought that was a side-mounted turn signal doohickey.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

It really doesn't need that tiny pecker of a side fender vent. Looks autozone stick-on inspired.

e: VVV It looks like it already has signal repeaters in the mirrors. The black piece just looks like more vent-fad. VVV

Supposedly it's functional.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Cream_Filling posted:

Supposedly it's functional.

It's supposed to reduce drag, according to this.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/12/bmw4-20121206.html posted:

The Air Breather, an aerodynamically effective aperture behind the front wheels, works in tandem with the Air Curtain in the front apron to provide an effective reduction in drag around the wheels.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

SouthLAnd posted:

Ahaha I looked at the pic, saw your comment, went back to the 3-series coupe picture and was all "I don't see a vent!" :downs:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of BMW, the 4-series photos are out. Not sure how it relates to the thread title, but compare and contrast yourself:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/14/2014-bmw-4-series-coupe-images-leak-out/

That's a nice looking car for sure, but I think I'll wait for the 3-Series coupe to come out instead. :colbert:

I know there isn't going to be a 3er coupe

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MrChips posted:

That's a nice looking car for sure, but I think I'll wait for the 3-Series coupe to come out instead. :colbert:

I know there isn't going to be a 3er coupe

But you will be able to get 4 series sedan :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Crustashio posted:

But you will be able to get 4 series sedan :v:

And a 2-series coupe...I think.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BMW Press Release posted:

The "4" in its title headlines this new product line for the Coupe and emphasizes not only its stand-out design, but that any way you look at it, the new 4 Series Coupe represents something more than its BMW 3 Series cousins – 3+1, if you will.

:rolleye:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pricing released for new Nissan hatch: starts at $14,780 (cheaper than pretty much every subcompact hatchback except the Kia Rio, including the previous-gen Versa hatchback) with roll-up windows and manual locks, but includes the proper number of pedals. For some reason the clutch pedal has been omitted on all but the base model.

Here, read this

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Goddamn is that an ugly car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It looks loving awesome compared to that new Mirage.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Mirage is bland ugly but the new Versa looks like a scrunched up Quest. I guess that's what they were going for with the Nissan design language but it has serious pug face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Amazing how Ford and GM (Fiesta/Spark) are making the most appealing tiny cars these days.

Edit: that's now fair, the Hyundai/KIA twins are pretty sweet.