Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Grand Poobah posted:

Found this thread interesting despite me not being in a position to give much advice. I figured I would take a look at one of them, and see if I could make any connections. Maybe it spurs some thought...

New York, Verse 10

I zeroed in on Bryant Park. Unfortunately, I think it was completely dug up in the 80's, so the treasure would be gone, but maybe the clues pointed there. Bryant Park is on top of/next to the New York Public Library.

Here is a photo of the library with the New York image superimposed, the dimensions of the image appear to match the arches on the front of the library

"Shadow of the grey giant" - The park is 7 blocks north of the Empire State Building

Other stuff, that is a big stretch
-poem could be taken to referencing William Cullen Bryant or other subjects of statues in the park

Maybe you could like, read the thread before you post? I dunno, its almost like it's possible this ground has been covered repeatedly and you just wasted your breath on words other people have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

einTier posted:

It would seem safe to say that this verse matches with the New Orleans, Louisiana picture.

Possibly, but not necessarily. It's one clue among many to consider.

Guuse posted:

This horse is literally running north. Follow it to the cask!

I was just wondering something similar about Andrew Jackson's horse.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

We know Twain wrote about everything, and we could get Andrew Jackson from his Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.

quote:

Andrew Jackson was the name of the dog that Jim Smiley had...His name, of course, reminds us of the seventh American president of the same name.

He's not running north, though he's running across.

BJG fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 14, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Nesetril posted:

Let's go over the current consensus for verse matchings. So, wait... nothing changed in 50 pages?

code:
CASK  CITY            MONTH   VERSE      BEGINS
C1  - San Francisco   JUN     5,6,7
C2  - Charleston      APR     5,6,7
C3  - Roanoke         JAN     11         Pass two friends of octave
C4  - Cleveland       MAR     4          Beneath two countries
C5  - Chicago         MAY     12         Where M and B are set in stone
C6  - St. Augustine   SEP     9          The first chapter
C7  - New Orleans     DEC     2,7          
C8  - Houston         JUL     1          Fortress north
C9  - Montreal        OCT     5,6,7
C10 - Milwaukee       FEB     8          View the three stories of Mitchell
C11 - Boston          AUG     3          If Thucydides is
C12 - NYC             NOV     10         In the shadow

unmatched
2             At the place where jewels abound
5             Lane Two twenty two
6             Of all the romance retold
7             At stone wall's door

I think there is significant doubt on C11 Boston due to the much stronger C9 Montreal visual link, and the author's statement that appears to point to a treasure in St. Louis. I think we should be looking for visual matches/maps/silhouettes/outlines/etc. in both cities at the very least.

Really any image without direct coordinates or visual matches should be in doubt - I'm not entirely sold on NYC myself as the only real visual so far is the Chrysler Building gargoyles, but it's better than we have for some others.

edit: It's pouring today, but I'll see what I can do about getting over to Cambridge Common Park.

xie fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 14, 2013

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

xie posted:

edit: It's pouring today, but I'll see what I can do about getting over to Cambridge Common Park.

If you see a tall early-thirties fella with brown hair/sideburns, gauged ears, and a grey/black jacket taking really specific pictures around Cambridge Common, Charlesgate, or the Fens, say hello. I'm in a meeting right off Copley until 10:30 and will walk immediately to Charlesgate after that.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'm at work today in the square, so if you get over there this morning you'll probably beat me anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I did a quick forum search but maybe did it wrong. Has anyone pointed out that those look like runes?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Autumn2May posted:

NYC

I was thinking. If we have the right picture for NYC, maybe the window at the top is a map. The top panes look like long blocks. So maybe there is a church on one block, something rectangular on another, maybe something with a clock on the bottom right, and the something to do with the lady next to it? Then once you find where that area is you use the verse to narrow in on where the box is buried?
I've gone over street maps and historical imagery as far back as I can for NYC and just about every city in the US with a significant Russian-American population; I haven't found anything past a vague resemblance, especially going on the assumption that the irregularities in the panels behind the bird are significant.

stab posted:

there was a turkish protest (wtf) outside the church so didnt feel like going around there too much.
No idea why it would be outside the church, but this is why
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552249

homullus posted:

I did a quick forum search but maybe did it wrong. Has anyone pointed out that those look like runes?
Yes, it's been discussed repeatedly.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

xie posted:

I'm at work today in the square, so if you get over there this morning you'll probably beat me anyway.

If you're posting from work and you work right on the square, there's only a couple buildings that have offices and I'm one of them right now... Just curious if you might work for a certain publishing company.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

einTier posted:

It would seem safe to say that this verse matches with the New Orleans, Louisiana picture.

Great I can forget audubon park.

http://goo.gl/maps/3dHGO

The place where jewels abound has a park called harlequin park, that figure in the clock is a harlequin.

I have a feeling this is going to involve reading up on gemology.

Bloke fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 14, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

GWBBQ posted:

I've gone over street maps and historical imagery as far back as I can for NYC and just about every city in the US with a significant Russian-American population; I haven't found anything past a vague resemblance, especially going on the assumption that the irregularities in the panels behind the bird are significant.

No idea why it would be outside the church, but this is why
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552249

Yes, it's been discussed repeatedly.

oh im very aware of the trouble in Turkey, I was just confused on their choice of location!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

HoboZero posted:

If you're posting from work and you work right on the square, there's only a couple buildings that have offices and I'm one of them right now... Just curious if you might work for a certain publishing company.

I work for a certain university in the area. Technically I don't work right in the square, but close enough.

My copy of the book was waiting for me on my desk when I got back as well :toot:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Neutrino posted:

The quickest way to get shut down and/or arrested is to start digging 3-foot deep trenches in parks. I would hope everyone is going to get the location narrowed down to a few feet, do some test probes and then make a subtle hole until they are absolutely sure the box is there.

When people get to that stage, a good cover will be with a metal detector. Most people don't pay too much attention to some guy with a metal detector looking for pennies in the public park. Another good cover is wearing a safety vest and with a few small seedlings and shovel. You might be able to dig a good sized hole in a park if it looks like you are planting a tree in the hole. If you generally look like a parks employee and have a matching cover story you should be able to dig in broad daylight with a steady stream of passersby without anybody questioning you. Answering any questions by saying you are looking for treasure is most likely going to draw an unwelcome crowd.

Plus I'm pretty sure the owner(s) of the land you dig at can legally claim to have ownership of anything you dig up if you don't have the proper permit to dig there. Meaning that if your name ends up in a newspaper for finding a cask, you could be sued by the landowner for theft of property, or otherwise be forced to give it over to someone else. If you do your digging at a public place, you could also be sued by the city/park owners/etc. for damage of public property, meaning that you might be forced to pay a fine or spend a night in the clink or something.

einTier posted:

Because everyone is so interested in the "aquamarine" jewel, here's what the finder of the Cleveland cask had to say about it over at Q4T:

Hunh, so I was right about the blue jewel not being an aquamarine. Interesting.

Also,

Egbert posted:

:words:

When Siskel and I finally met BP, he ended up taking us to the bank vault in NYC where the jewels were kept. He also said the solutions to the puzzle were in the same drawer.

:words:

WHERE WOULD THESE "SOLUTIONS" BE NOW, PRAY TELL??? :stare:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 14, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say under a bunch of random papers in a box from the author's stuff, or in an unlabelled drawer in the publisher's office annex, or both.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Any news on Roanoke? That feels like the one we're closest to finding, just need to get some brave soul on the ground to start rooting around for it.

I'm convinced the Roanoke one is buried next to one of the ends of the Lost Colony playhouse. I'm in Tennessee though and have no idea when I'll get to go and break some laws digging up their property. Maybe I'll just plan an OBX vacation.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

I am now reasonably certain that the '96' in the painting for Cask 8 corresponds with either a street address or a road... possibly FM 1960 or what used to be US 96. (Note that Interstate 69 did not exist in Texas until just a few years ago, so it probably isn't that.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I feel like I should quote myself from a few posts up, and also ask allta to add this to the OP, since it's a point that hasn't been mentioned a whole lot in this thread.

GENERAL

I'm pretty sure the owner(s) of the land you dig at can legally claim to have ownership of anything you dig up if you don't have the proper permit to dig there. Meaning that if your name ends up in a newspaper for finding a cask, you could be sued by the landowner for theft of property, or otherwise be forced to give it over to someone else. If you do your digging at a public place, you could also be sued by the city/park owners/etc. for damage of public property, meaning that you might be forced to pay a fine or spend a night in the clink or something.

So remember kids, illegal digging is BAD, mmmkay!! :eng101:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 14, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm convinced the Roanoke one is buried next to one of the ends of the Lost Colony playhouse. I'm in Tennessee though and have no idea when I'll get to go and break some laws digging up their property. Maybe I'll just plan an OBX vacation.
I think at this point it will come down to someone going down and looking around to see if they can match up anything in the image or verse to a final spot to dig. I think a couple folks from the Q4T forums have tried this already but I don't know if they actually found anything compelling or not.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The owners of a public park aren't going to aggressively pursue a nearly worthless ceramic cask, I feel fairly confident of this.

You definitely need to not get caught doing this though because it's surely illegal.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
I'm liking the 4-foot drill-probe method. You just bring your cordless drill and gently probe down until you hit a rock or broken piece of pottery. A dead giveaway would be some resistance, then finding some plexiglass shreds on the tip on the bit.
You'd still need 110% confidence in your location(s) and permission, for legal and safety reasons. Wouldn't want to hit and underground power conduit.
I am relieved to read Byron saying that none are anywhere dangerous. It crossed my mind that he could have been one sinister gently caress and wanted to have people blowing up or electrocuting themselves all over the place, but I gather his lawyer would have advised against that.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

The "absent-minded professor" Preiss lost them at some point. He thought they were in the vault, but they weren't. He assumed them must be in the closet at home. His widow says she didn't find anything.

Still, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Too bad she won't let a bunch of internet goons go treasure hunting in her house. It's gotta be easier than figuring out these puzzles.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Question: In the solved Cleveland image, is the map of Ohio flipped, or is it just not perfect?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Bloke posted:

The place where jewels abound has a park called harlequin park, that figure in the clock is a harlequin.

I have a feeling this is going to involve reading up on gemology.

That park is waaaaay on the other side of town. There is no way it's hidden there. It's not even a notable or large park.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Maguro posted:

That park is waaaaay on the other side of town. There is no way it's hidden there. It's not even a notable or large park.

That's not really grounds for dismissing it though, we've got to farm these ideas out so that they can be pieced together

It could be the start of the trail, the treasure could still be in loving audubon park.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I've seen this start of the trail thing said a bunch of times in this thread but none of the casks that were discovered really had trails that led over half of a city. It's one of those things people keep saying to be lazy because they've solved 3 clues out of 30 and still want to sell their idea. In the case of the cleveland one, basically every visual clue in the painting was from the very gardens where the cask was buried.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Solving 3 clues out of 30 is fine if it means someone else can pick it up and run with it, it's supposed to be a team effort after all.

einTier posted:

The "absent-minded professor" Preiss lost them at some point. He thought they were in the vault, but they weren't. He assumed them must be in the closet at home. His widow says she didn't find anything.

Still, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Too bad she won't let a bunch of internet goons go treasure hunting in her house. It's gotta be easier than figuring out these puzzles.

I'm starting to think he wasn't accidentally killed

Bloke fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 14, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Houston
Verse 1 says "perspective should not be lost"

Look at this image of four of the five poles at Tranquility Park.

Now, look at this section of the Houston image:

What if Tranquility Park looks like that from some angle? There's definitely a short pillar that's on a lower platform quite a ways from the others.

Maybe something approximating this view as you walk on the crosswalk from Tranquility Park to Hermann Square Park?

http://goo.gl/maps/r0XZb

Also, the last Apollo mission took place in December of 1972.
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Tallest tower - Saturn V?
Falls gently - program ended? Last flight?

einTier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 14, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
Cask 6 / Saint Augustine

Today I spoke with John Fraser, the owner of the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park property, who has owned the grounds since the 80s and is very familiar with The Secret.

First, the bad news. He has had people inquiring about The Secret on and off since the 80s. Many people have come with probes and gone over every interesting part of the park over the years. The most promising sites were investigated with metal detectors and quite a bit of official digging was even conducted in the exact area I suggested, back when they happened to be doing some pipe work nearby. Nothing has ever been found.

Now the worse news. In recent times he has only had two people nicely ask permission to explore/dig: myself and somebody else. Many other people have showed up unannounced, without permission, and started tearing up the ground. This is a problem, because the site has actual historical artifacts, including Indian remains. Additionally, the park borders residential property and neighbors complained about folks sneaking around. It got bad enough that the park had to spend a lot of money installing security cameras and hiring a night watchman, but people still show up. Therefore he will not be granting anyone permission to probe or dig in the near future.

Finally, some good news. Given his familiarity with the park and The Secret, he says he is 99% sure he knows where the cask is buried. He may at some point try digging in that area, if he decides its not a risk to the grounds or any historical artifacts. If so, he said he'll give me word so I can come participate.

Additionally, I asked him if he'd be willing to put together a short write-up on the effort he's put into it for this thread, so that (1) we can more-or-less put Cask 6 to bed, and (2) to discourage folks from doing illicit digging. He said he'd be happy to, and I'm going to follow up with him via email. Does anyone have any specific questions they want me to pass on to him?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
One of my friends is a trained, college educated archeologist. I can say they aren't well paid and work is scarce. If ensuring a "proper" dig in the area he suspects is the only thing holding him back, I can't imagine that we couldn't put together a fund to send someone out there to oversee it.

Plus, if it could be found, that would stop everyone from digging in his park entirely.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Cask 6 / Saint Augustine

Today I spoke with John Fraser, the owner of the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park property, who has owned the grounds since the 80s and is very familiar with The Secret.

First, the bad news. He has had people inquiring about The Secret on and off since the 80s. Many people have come with probes and gone over every interesting part of the park over the years. The most promising sites were investigated with metal detectors and quite a bit of official digging was even conducted in the exact area I suggested, back when they happened to be doing some pipe work nearby. Nothing has ever been found.

Now the worse news. In recent times he has only had two people nicely ask permission to explore/dig: myself and somebody else. Many other people have showed up unannounced, without permission, and started tearing up the ground. This is a problem, because the site has actual historical artifacts, including Indian remains. Additionally, the park borders residential property and neighbors complained about folks sneaking around. It got bad enough that the park had to spend a lot of money installing security cameras and hiring a night watchman, but people still show up. Therefore he will not be granting anyone permission to probe or dig in the near future.

Finally, some good news. Given his familiarity with the park and The Secret, he says he is 99% sure he knows where the cask is buried. He may at some point try digging in that area, if he decides its not a risk to the grounds or any historical artifacts. If so, he said he'll give me word so I can come participate.

Additionally, I asked him if he'd be willing to put together a short write-up on the effort he's put into it for this thread, so that (1) we can more-or-less put Cask 6 to bed, and (2) to discourage folks from doing illicit digging. He said he'd be happy to, and I'm going to follow up with him via email. Does anyone have any specific questions they want me to pass on to him?

Ask him if I can come along with you. I can even bring some equipment and/or help you guys pay for gas if you want.

If my name is mentioned in an article saying I found one cask and assisted in finding another, I might be able to put that poo poo on my resume. :q:

:smug: "Yeah so these riddles were going unsolved for like three decades and so I just kinda like solved one and helped out on another in like 2 weeks cuz I'm creamy smooth like that, no big deal no big whoop also I can start tomorrow." :smug:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2013

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I suppose you could, but I think this is supposed to be fun, not resume-building.

Also I wouldn't count on any of these being found, so you may want to have a backup cornerstone of your resume/future fame and fortune.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Even if Dr. Gitmo does have a spiffy resume (complete with a successful Secret find) to apply working for Capt. Jack Sparrow as a treasure-finderer, I think the pirate industry tends to go off references when considering applicants.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

einTier posted:

One of my friends is a trained, college educated archeologist. I can say they aren't well paid and work is scarce. If ensuring a "proper" dig in the area he suspects is the only thing holding him back, I can't imagine that we couldn't put together a fund to send someone out there to oversee it.

Plus, if it could be found, that would stop everyone from digging in his park entirely.

Well he's not quite as excited about it as we are here, and I think all the folks digging unauthorized have annoyed him, so I don't think treasure hunting is really at the top of his todo list right now. He did say that he likes the idea of finding it because it's compelling history.

Ask him if I can come along with you. I can even bring some equipment and/or help you guys pay for gas if you want.

If/when he sets something up I'll post it here and we'll make a day out of it; I'm sure he won't mind having more ticket-paying visitors, so long as nobody shows up with a backhoe.

If my name is mentioned in an article saying I found one cask and assisted in finding another, I might be able to put that poo poo on my resume. :q:

:smug: "Yeah so these riddles were going unsolved for like three decades and so I just kinda like solved one and helped out on another in like 2 weeks cuz I'm creamy smooth like that, no big deal no big whoop also I can start tomorrow." :smug:

Me: "Yeah I guess it took Brian Zinn 20 years to find the Cleveland cask? I mean, I found cask 6 in two weeks, but you know, whatever."

Her: "Do me. Do me right now."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Peenigrippe posted:

Even if Dr. Gitmo does have a spiffy resume (complete with a successful Secret find) to apply working for Capt. Jack Sparrow as a treasure-finderer, I think the pirate industry tends to go off references when considering applicants.

The idea is that I would list it as an independent/personal project and use it to show volunteer work and/or problem-solving ability. I'm a CS major right now and employers tend to like that kind of stuff.

Obviously though, the more casks I find, the better my resume would look. And if my planned Houston expedition is successful, then I may be able to parlay that into good nice cash money fundage for trips to New Orleans and Clarleston and Roanoke and the like.

TotalHell posted:

I suppose you could, but I think this is supposed to be fun, not resume-building.

But it IS fun.

Actually the resume-building is something I use to justify going to Houston in my mind. If it isn't successful then all I've really lost are about $20 bucks in gas. :)

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Houston
I'm just throwing out ideas and interesting things I find. The two tallest buildings downtown are the JP Morgan Chase Tower and the Enterprise Plaza building. The latter was completed in 1980 and is shorter, but was definitely standing when Preiss was writing his books.

Chase Tower is a little more problematic. It was completed in 1982, the same year the book was published. However, the 75th and top floor was under construction in 1981, and the building under construction for years before that, so it's not inconceivable that this was Preiss' "tallest tower". More interesting, it connects to the Houston Underground, is near Tranquility Park, and has this interesting sculpture out front, called "Personnage with Birds".

It has three wings and is noted for being thin. "The piece is the largest Miró ever commissioned (it is 35 feet wide at its base and stands 55 feet tall), but despite the colossal size, it seems lightweight, as if it could start walking across the plaza at any moment. " Unfortunately, it was installed in April of 1982, so it's extremely questionable if this is what the lines refer to. It's possible that the book was published in late 1982 and that this was one of the last casks buried or that Preiss became aware of the pending installation of the sculpture during his research of nearby landmarks. If he did, he could predict that it would be there in time for the book's release.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Bloke posted:

"They may be hidden in your city or your local park or even in your own backyard." Why not all 3?

But anyway, I think the woman in Cask 12 could be Columbia, the national personification of the US.

Columbia Protecting Sceince and Industry - Smithsonian Arts and Industries building. This is the closest to the picture from the book I can find.

The building's windows and arches match the shape of the painting as well as any others we've found. Here's the building back in the 70s

A couple of statues of Columbia that aren't such close matches just to show how she's depicted.

At the Pearl Harbor Memorial

In Washington DC, formerly behind the Speaker of the House's seat in the House of Representatives (not sure where the statue is now.)

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 14, 2013

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

that's exciting as hell, it's a pity (though not surprising) he's become jaded by the unauthorized diggers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You should sell it to him as a way to stop unauthorized diggers. Find the cask and they'll have no reason to come back.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I thought I was following this thread pretty closely, but this confuses me, are you one of the original 2 guys that's found one and the Houston one is your assist, or...?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Pick posted:

You should sell it to him as a way to stop unauthorized diggers. Find the cask and they'll have no reason to come back.

Exactly. Finding the cask will rid him of the source of his frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013
Greetings everyone.
I am Rook and I am from TX.
I saw this site thanks to White Rabbit over at Q4T.
I have been working on this hunt for over a year and have made good progress.
I like the organization of this site which is not unlike the methods I used to solve some of the puzzles.

I am currently planning a Houston dig but am uncertain if I will get permission to dig.

I do really believe that there are two or three treasure locations already solved, there just needs some digging to be done.

Please let me know if you need any assistance or have any questions. :)