Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kenny Logins posted:

Huh. Well, now certainly I don't regret my decision to put my stock 2011 13" Airs on the online classifieds to finance an upgrade to this one. $1000 asking but would certainly take $850. Luckily there is a real paucity of available secondhand Macs in my area, with a few small universities in spitting distance, but has anyone seen the price point on refurb stock 2011 13" Airs on the online Apple Store lately?

The refurbished 2012 13" Airs are $849

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD231LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

poo poo, I sold mine right at the beginning of this year and I think I only got $750 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bob Morales posted:

The refurbished 2012 13" Airs are $849

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD231LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

poo poo, I sold mine right at the beginning of this year and I think I only got $750 for it.
Yeah, I saw the 2012 which is where I get my "would take $850" from. Thanks though. Would $100 less for 2011 be a fair ballpark? The big difference if I remember is USB 3.0 and HD4000 graphics.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kenny Logins posted:

Yeah, I saw the 2012 which is where I get my "would take $850" from. Thanks though. Would $100 less for 2011 be a fair ballpark? The big difference if I remember is USB 3.0 and HD4000 graphics.

Used Mac pricing is odd. You might get a taker at $900

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a question about applecare.

I have a friend who melted his last laptop through multiple 12+ hour gaming sessions and is looking for a new one. Initially I was going to recommend a W series thinkpad but the Haswells haven't been announced yet.

If a macbook air were to stop functioning from that type of heat damage, would applecare cover it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It would be covered as long as he didn't spill water on it or dropped it or something. Though it's very unlikely that kind of overheating would happen. The ones you see at the Apple Stores run all day every day.

I'd also say the Air and the Thinkpad W aren't remotely in the same product category.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Virtue posted:

If a macbook air were to stop functioning from that type of heat damage, would applecare cover it?
More likely that performance will be throttled before a dangerous temperature will be reached. Am I wrong? The Macs that I have used slow down my game performance if things get too hot unless I use a script to force the fans to blow. And that's only in Windows.

AppleCare has yet to refuse repair to any of my legitimate woes.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Something that I don't understand is that the 13" MBA seems to already deliver on the 12 hour battery life. What happens when you put Mavericks on it with all of its aggressive battery stuff?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Apple's email said it'd deliver on the 18th, but UPS' tracking thing says tomorrow?! I guess it's possible, but since I got standard shipping I figured it'd literally be on the slow boat from China.

That'd be good for you. Last year at the 15" rMBP 3 days after the keynote, but no such luck this year. The time capsule and Air have been in the country since yesterday at some point, but they don't seem to be moving. Then again I've seen UPS statuses move pretty quickly and things suddenly being "Out for delivery" earlier than expected.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

passionate dongs posted:

Something that I don't understand is that the 13" MBA seems to already deliver on the 12 hour battery life. What happens when you put Mavericks on it with all of its aggressive battery stuff?

I don't have any real numbers to back it up, but I'd imagine it'd probably squeeze an extra hour or two out of pretty much every MacBook.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Protocol7 posted:

I don't have any real numbers to back it up, but I'd imagine it'd probably squeeze an extra hour or two out of pretty much every MacBook.

Depends what you're doing; the most significant stuff was browser+flash related, and your battery life is going to be far worse if you're actively using the machine & not just playing a (hardware accelerated) video from an ssd.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

wooger posted:

Depends what you're doing; the most significant stuff was browser+flash related, and your battery life is going to be far worse if you're actively using the machine & not just playing a (hardware accelerated) video from an ssd.

I guess we all know that battery life depends on what you're doing, so extended battery life will also depend on that.

eames
May 9, 2009

So apparently Semiaccurate has some hints on the new MBP GPU but the articles are behind a paywall. Does anybody here happen to have a subscription?
($1000/year, are they serious?)

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/28/and-the-gpu-in-the-haswell-macbook-pro-is/
https://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/12/apple-pushes-performance-boundaries-with-the-new-macbook/

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

"but there is a bigger secret lucking under it’s sleek covers."

I gues's whoever subscribe's luck's out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

A lot of people laughed when SemiAccurate called the last round of Apple notebooks as going to Nvidia but we were dead on. This time we tell you what GPUs are going in to the MacBook Pros.

Uh, why would anyone laugh at that? And I never heard of this site until a minute ago.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

So apparently Semiaccurate has some hints on the new MBP GPU but the articles are behind a paywall. Does anybody here happen to have a subscription?
($1000/year, are they serious?)

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/28/and-the-gpu-in-the-haswell-macbook-pro-is/
https://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/12/apple-pushes-performance-boundaries-with-the-new-macbook/
My first guess was Iris Pro, primarily cause "The really interesting part is not how much it shifts the GPU marketshare numbers, but what is says about costs and competition. We really weren’t expecting this one."

Then I looked at the tags:
amd, Apple, discrete, GPU, Kepler, Kepler again?, MacBook Pro, marketshare, nvidia, Sea Islands, SemiAccurate
Apple, bottlenecks, macbook, performance, SemiAccurate, seriously fast guys

"Seriously fast" rules out Iris Pro basically, so they're probably saying AMD Sea Islands (or maybe Volcanic Islands? Don't really know much about the GPU space these days).

And if they do move it to AMD, that would just leave the iMacs with Nvidia right? Could be seen as a "gently caress CUDA, move to OpenCL" message to devs along with the Mac Pro (assuming AMD is the only option there), but I'm guessing AMD just gave a better deal, with reducing CUDA reliance a nice side effect of that.

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I'm not seeing where they've had any notable Apple scoops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SemiAccurate

There's one story from May 2011 about Apple switching to ARM, but that hasn't happened yet (and they're just a little bit too enthusiastic in their writing style).

If my name was Apple, I'd have a number of prototypes with AMD and Nvidia GPUs ready to go and make a decision as late as possible in order to keep negotiations favorable. Same with the threat of going with ARM.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
SemiAccurate is an ongoing attempt by Charlie Demerjian to go independent. Who's that you say? He's some obscure tech journalist who used to write for The Register, until he left acrimoniously over something which I've forgetten. He is bitter about it to this day, but keeps on bringing you tech reporting in The Reg's editorial style, not that he'd never admit he owed anything to that publication. (That style is trashy Brit tabloid, if you're not familiar.)

The guy somehow has a few (unreliable) industry connections, so there's occasionally a tiny bit of truth buried in the noise, but there's no point looking for it. His writing is dominated by petty one-sided feuds. (Particularly with NVidia, but he also hates other companies too, including Apple. Because they make shiny toys for idiots who don't know how to use computers, you see. Did I mention he's one of those guys who really really wants Linux to rule the world?)

He also likes to write the occasional Apple linkbait article like this one. I wouldn't put much weight on it, whatever it is. A couple years ago he was claiming the next MacBook Air would have an AMD APU instead of Intel's Sandy Bridge. Another time it was ARM which was going to ship in Macs any day now.

He and his site admin have a giant chip on their shoulder about other even more terrible tech news sites plagiarizing their crap, which is why you'll always see giant SemiAccurate logos plastered all over any photo used in an article. Ironically these images are usually someone else's copyrighted material (e.g. leaked Intel or AMD product roadmap slides). They also used to have this JavaScript active on their site which forced your browser to instantly deselect text whenever you tried to select any. I'm pretty sure the intent was to defeat copy and paste. What I'm not sure about is how they ever thought this would be more than a few seconds' annoyance for anyone who actually wanted to plagiarize. (Me, I wasn't trying to c&p. I just have a bad habit of selecting words and paragraphs as I read, and on that site they wouldn't stay selected. Looked at page source etc. and holy poo poo, they really wrote some JS to do that.)

They went to this paywall model recently because they couldn't make enough money off ads to keep the site afloat. They've been claiming it's working out for them. I'm astonished anyone pays those absurd prices to read that drivel, and saddened because the paywall cut off access to so much unintentional comedy.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

flavor posted:

That'd be good for you. Last year at the 15" rMBP 3 days after the keynote, but no such luck this year. The time capsule and Air have been in the country since yesterday at some point, but they don't seem to be moving. Then again I've seen UPS statuses move pretty quickly and things suddenly being "Out for delivery" earlier than expected.

Yup, it's out for delivery now. It says "by 10:30 AM" too but I doubt that'll actually happen; I've never had UPS deliver something here before like 3:30 PM. Then again they did basically give me one day international shipping (for free!), so we'll see.

e: well I'll be damned, loving thing showed up literally a minute after I posted this

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 14, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

forced your browser to instantly deselect text whenever you tried to select any

This is literally the worst thing. Even worse than adding a link to the page in your clipboard, and slightly worse than replacing your copied text with a link. But only slightly.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Posting this from the new MBA. No gift message :(

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Order shipped and should be here Tues, with my Airport coming on Mon. Ended up just deciding to get AppleCare on Amazon so I'll be ready for when it gets here. Now I just wish Mavericks was out sooner...

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Anandtech says that Mavericks will eliminate the retina UI lag across the board. That's great news!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is the talk the pixar and other guys gave about the new Mac Pro available anywhere?

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Is the talk the pixar and other guys gave about the new Mac Pro available anywhere?

Yeah, you'll need to register an account on the dev site then it's here:

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/videos/

Called "Painting the Future"

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

wdarkk posted:

You also need to be on a Mac to view it :saddowns:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Summary: You know how you can pull a 3D .OBJ mesh into Photoshop (CS5+) and paint on it? Now you can do that with 9 simultaneous 8000px^2 textures. With lighting and animation in real time. 20GB data sets. In this instance, because of Mari software and OpenGL.

I guess that was the SIGGRAPH moment of WWDC. My question is, what is the next generation of "we need to be able to access this stuff, times a whole movie, to 100 workstations, at basically PCIe speed." His data had to be local.

Edit: The Pixar artist that was doing the 3D texture-painting demo also said that the new Mac Pro he had been working with was locked in an ambiguous box and he was pretty drat shocked to discover, 4 days ago, that the whole time it was the size of Christmas ham (my words).

kuskus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 14, 2013

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

This Pixar fansite summarized the video pretty well if you aren't able to see the video:

http://www.pixarpost.com/2013/06/pixars-speech-at-apple-wwdc.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kuskus posted:

Summary: You know how you can pull a 3D .OBJ mesh into Photoshop (CS5+) and paint on it? Now you can do that with 9 simultaneous 8000px^2 textures. With lighting and animation in real time. 20GB data sets. In this instance, because of Mari software and OpenGL.

I guess that was the SIGGRAPH moment of WWDC. My question is, what is the next generation of "we need to be able to access this stuff, times a whole movie, to 100 workstations, at basically PCIe speed." His data had to be local.

Edit: The Pixar artist that was doing the 3D texture-painting demo also said that the new Mac Pro he had been working with was locked in an ambiguous box and he was pretty drat shocked to discover, 4 days ago, that the whole time it was the size of Christmas ham (my words).

To quote the Mari product manager at the Foundry:

Jack Greasley posted:

"We were essentially doing a blind tasting of the machine," said Jack Greasley, MARI product manager at The Foundry. "All we could see was the monitor, and the Mac Pro was encased in a giant metal filing cabinet on wheels. Experiencing the machine in this way was actually really cool, because I can tell you that the speed and power of this machine really stands up. Mari running on this machine out of the box is the fastest I have ever seen it run."

...Which is pretty dope considering that they just ported this stuff to OSX a few weeks ago.

Also, the place where they got to test this was called the "Evil Lab." :)

(All taken from this article)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Used Mac pricing is odd. You might get a taker at $900

It's another advantage of Apple products, they tend to hold their value much better than other laptops due to the good reputation and fashion appeal.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Well, thanks you guys...

Despite never really being interested in Mac hardware and never had any inclination to get any, I'm now posting from a new 13" air.

I like this thing, a lot. OSX definitely takes a bit of getting used to, is there an idiots guide somewhere I need to see?

Screen, battery life, touchpad and responsiveness are all great on this thing, I'm impressed and I didn't think I was going to be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

Well, thanks you guys...

Despite never really being interested in Mac hardware and never had any inclination to get any, I'm now posting from a new 13" air.

I like this thing, a lot. OSX definitely takes a bit of getting used to, is there an idiots guide somewhere I need to see?

Screen, battery life, touchpad and responsiveness are all great on this thing, I'm impressed and I didn't think I was going to be.

It's quite the good impression especially if your last laptop was a heavy, clunky windows laptop.

Plus so pretty for small details such as the light up Apple logo on the back.

There's a handy megathread for OSX here to help newbies learn the new system:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007

etalian posted:

It's quite the good impression especially if your last laptop was a heavy, clunky windows laptop.

Plus so pretty for small details such as the light up Apple logo on the back.

There's a handy megathread for OSX here to help newbies learn the new system:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005

So, I bought a plastic shell thing to protect the outside, I didn't even notice that the Apple lit up.
It looks super cool under the smoked plastic.

Heavy and clunky was definitely part of the description, along with loud and hot and a bit sketchy under load.

I'm surprised at how well photoshop runs, it's even pretty useable with the touchpad.

The screen isn't retina but at the default sizes everything looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for the tip, I'm having a look now.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Yup, it's out for delivery now. It says "by 10:30 AM" too but I doubt that'll actually happen; I've never had UPS deliver something here before like 3:30 PM. Then again they did basically give me one day international shipping (for free!), so we'll see.

e: well I'll be damned, loving thing showed up literally a minute after I posted this

Congratulations. I lost.

Louisville, KY, United States
06/14/2013 7:30 A.M. The package was left in a UPS facility. / Saturday Delivery
06/14/2013 5:23 A.M. The scheduled connection was missed.

While this is definitely UPS's fault (and I hope it means they're going to deliver it tomorrow), I have to say that Apple's delivery system can be a little lame sometimes. Things are "released" on Monday, but only actually ship Wednesday, and the delivery is slow-rear end. (I've had Amazon and other orders from East Asian countries here in 2 days, not even using particularly expensive shipping options.) I still think they could learn a little bit from Amazon and Newegg.

They've unfucked the iPhone pre-ordering process, maybe this could be next.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

So I just got one of the 13.3" Airs delivered today. pulled out out and turned it on and it seems to be having wifi problems. It will connect and everything is fine then it will randomly drop and refuse to see or connect to any networks until the machine is rebooted. Once it boots back up it works and then will randomly stop again. The router is working fine as my iPhone and other machines are all still connected and going right along. I ran the wireless diagnostics but it didn't seem to do anything. I noticed on the apple support forums some other people are having the same issue

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?tstart=0

Anyone have any suggestions I could try?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like to think that the picture in "about This Mac" was said ambiguous filing cabinet on wheels.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

BigHandsVince posted:

So, I bought a plastic shell thing to protect the outside, I didn't even notice that the Apple lit up.
It looks super cool under the smoked plastic.

Heavy and clunky was definitely part of the description, along with loud and hot and a bit sketchy under load.

I'm surprised at how well photoshop runs, it's even pretty useable with the touchpad.

The screen isn't retina but at the default sizes everything looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for the tip, I'm having a look now.

Can you link to the smoked screen protector you bought?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Got my first gen 15" rMBP's screen replaced because of the image persistence. New screen has no hint of image persistence whatsoever so woohoo. It's warm as hell though. Oh well, C'est la vie!

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Can you link to the smoked screen protector you bought?

Sure thing :

http://www.speckproducts.com/seethru-for-macbook-air.html

The glowing apple is really subdued and looks sweet. The protection should be pretty good, the shells snap on just over the
edges of the aluminum. The texture on the outside is matt and sort of rubberised, certainly grippy. Also there are bigger rubber feet on
the bottom covering the ones on the body itself, and they extend right to the back to make it less likely to tip.

If you get a sleeve to go with it, get one for the regular or retina macbook pro, not an air one, as it was too tight.

EDIT: The colour of mine was 5th or 8th from the left in the second row, however that site seems to say they are all sold out...

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

So I'm considering buying a 15" rMBP sometime and I want to be able to use it with one of those thunderbolt external graphics card enclosures when they come out. Would the current gen of rMBPs be okay with these enclosures, or is it likely that the next refresh might have faster thunderbolt ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
There's a solid chance that the next MBPr models will have TB2 since it would align with the release of the Mac Pros, but nobody can really say for sure. Either way for those enclosures I think they just run on normal TB so it shouldn't matter.