Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I wonder about this, what would happen of you revoked/banished every courtier except your immediate family? Absolutely 0 vassals

Your realm will descend into chaos from lack of mid level managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I think I'm going to yield to autism here.

Eh, you're the one who called not giving your heirs land "lazy". Glass houses mate.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Eh, you're the one who called not giving your heirs land "lazy". Glass houses mate.

It wasn't meant to be offensive, I thought you were being facetious with the obsessive attractive trait thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It wasn't meant to be offensive, I thought you were being facetious with the obsessive attractive trait thing.

As a peace offering then, I shall permit you to marry one of my attractive granddaughters. Only slightly inbred!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Is there any way to see a list of strong claims you can press? The notification that pops up is only for weak ones, and the page in the ledger is pretty lovely (no direct link to the person in question, no telling if it's weak or strong).

Mundane
Jan 20, 2009
Jesus the stories you get out of this game sometime.

So I'm playing as my 60 year old Norse Emperor of Scandinavia, with the reformed religion. Things are going pretty decent, I've finally hit a stretch of time where the HRE (I consoled them into existence in 920 AD to give myself a sort of rival superpower, seriously Vikings are OP) isn't sending doomstacks into my lands, I had finally fixed my error from early 880 in that I gave a lot of land to my dynasty and they were constantly in-fighting, my strong and attractive heir had finally popped out a genius, strong kid at age 35. I was able to spend money on more construction and things were looking great.

Then, 2 years of peace and building later, from way out of left field, my 82 year old sister who holds no lands and has no children, assassinates my heir. I guess she was holding a grudge or something. I figured that wasn't such a big deal. I had primogeniture, and I was pretty confident that I could raise and educate my grandson before kicking the bucket, so that when I did my brother wouldn't attempt to usurp the empire. Hell I even gave her the Jarldom of Jylland since I figured she would kick the bucket soon anyways and I would inherit it when she did.

Lo and behold, when my grandson is age 7, I am assassinated by the brother. Within 3 days of taking control of my uneducated 7 year old Emperor, he declares me a pretender and launches his claim on Scandinavia from Finland, where he had been set up in a Jarldom. Thinking I could be quick and crush his 10k armies with my retinues and the King of Finland's levies, I set about crushing the claim.

All of a sudden my armies disappeared. My total troop reserve that I could call up went from 115k to 23k, in one day. My uncle had been secretly forming alliances through marriages that I never really paid attention to, since I was focused on the HRE wars for the last 30 years. He called in all the Kings, and most of the Jarls who were my direct vassals.

I was panicking, since I had no heir and it would mean a game over if I was to die, and my uncle now had 76k troops to my retinue of 8000 + 16k personal levies. I called in all the allies I could, hoping for any Norse backup that wasn't part of the Empire, and then consolidated my troops and boats into the Jarldom of Skane where most of my holdings were.

Nobody answers, except one person. My great-aunt, the one who murdered my father, who was now 87 years old, decides to fight with me. And she has 25k troops.

What follows is a 10 year civil war that I BARELY win, fighting tooth and nail and using navy bombs to force the AI to maneuver itself too thin. I managed to capture two of his sons near the end, which helped with my war score. When he finally surrendered, I had a grand total of 18 prisoners. I ransomed off who I could, released those who were of no value...but I kept the traitors.

It was time for a blot.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I wonder about this, what would happen of you revoked/banished every courtier except your immediate family? Absolutely 0 vassals

The demense size penalty will drop you to -100% income.

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 15, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So, I conquered enough territory to declare Brittania :black101: Wales fell into line, but Wessex is fighting to the last province. Im doing a combo of assassinate/declare to speed things up. Meanwhile, my first wife dies, giving me a claim on Normandy, and I get a second wife who is Duchess of Norway. While Im not paying attention (I have a duchal vassal in France who is slowly blobbing), my wife declares a claim on the throne of Norway. :3:

My question is this - how can I tell if her son or her daughter will inherit Norway? I have a son from the first marriage all lined up, and I want to unite Brittania and Scandanavia :black101: one generation of married half siblings won't be bad, right? :cthulhu:

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 15, 2013

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Can anyone explain why I suddenly have three armies of 40,000+ troops that just suddenly appeared on the far eastern side of the map?

EDIT: I guess they're Mongols... but why are they aligned to me?

DOUBLE EDIT: I also just got an added 5k to my treasury...

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 15, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Who are you playing as? Are they actually green? If so, that sounds like some kind of bug.

If that's the case you should probably just go with it. The universe wants you to invade Europe.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I'm playing as Ireland, doing the whole "unite the island" mission (successfully done for at least a century). I guess these guys just showed up, they're completely green, and I have full control... but since they're considered raised levys I can't declare war.

EDIT: God, this is the gift that just keeps giving. There is no upkeep on these armies... maybe the game DOES want me to conquer Europe...

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 15, 2013

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
Are you playing the :filez: CK2 beta from like two years ago? That version had a bug that made the player get the Mongol armies, but as far as I know every release version has had that bug fixed.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

HenessyHero posted:

Don't know if the battle-AI has gotten wiser but I've noticed they like to manoeuvre such that to actually engage them, instead of just chasing them forever, I'll have to suffer a crossing river penalty and fight on unsuitable terrain.

I like it :allears:

Yeah I noticed that instead of just marching across a strait and giving you a huge defensive bonus they'll try to use ships and get around you. And maybe it's just CK2+ but allies in a civil war will actually group together instead of getting picked off one by one.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
:j: "Daddy? What does my name mean?"
:downs: "Uhm... well, you see... darling..."

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if there's a limit to how many people can be sacrificed per blot? So far I've just seen it empty my dungeons of everyone except children, so if I've got like thirty poor saps stashed away in there will it put em all in the grinder in one sitting?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

OhGreatAGinger posted:

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if there's a limit to how many people can be sacrificed per blot? So far I've just seen it empty my dungeons of everyone except children, so if I've got like thirty poor saps stashed away in there will it put em all in the grinder in one sitting?

Yeah, it's like 4.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

No income, no levies, opinion malus out the rear end, peasant revolt and family members getting uppity until you crumble.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Now that decadence wars actually happen, it's been a little easier playing Karen. I've managed to snag a duchy off the Abbasids during their civil wars and even fought to a white peace on an invasion of Persia. The border between Persia and Mesopotamia is mountainous, which helped to atrittion down some of their stacks and keep my smaller ones alive.

Another tip for playing Karen: holy war the Cumans as much as possible. Eventually you'll reach the Black Sea and get some mobility to really fuel some expansion so that you can get to the point where you can tip the scales in your favor against the Caliph.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
Is it a good idea to create all the titles you can? I own most of scandinavia and have made Kingdom of Denmark, Sweden and Norway; but I just keep them on my character. I have about 14 duchies+Kingdom of Finland I can create.

One more question:

If my heir is thrown in jail for plotting against me, can he still inherit titles when I die while he's in prison?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shade2142 posted:

Is it a good idea to create all the titles you can? I own most of scandinavia and have made Kingdom of Denmark, Sweden and Norway; but I just keep them on my character. I have about 14 duchies+Kingdom of Finland I can create.
In this case, yes. Each duke you create is 2-3 earls you don't have to loving deal with, because they're his problem now. Keep the Kingdoms since they're your highest-level titles and start handing out duchies, it'll make your life easier.

Admittedly, the bastards will run around loving up your pretty borders and scheming against each other, but they'll also give you fun surprises like going MINE, MOTHERFUCKER and declaring war on their own against somebody you've still got a truce with.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone know why when trying to edit in a character (a new non pre existing one) into the save sometimes they're 65,000 years old for a day? I can't seem to figure it out and seems to be random in the past as simply fiddling with the date fixed it and now its oddly persistent.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In vanilla, to create a kingdom, do you need to own half the counties, or half of the duchies?

Or is it something else? I have the ability to create several duchies, but I already have 3 Ducal level titles and I don't want my vassals to all hate me. I only want to create the titles if it means I can then create a kingdom and subsequently hand them out to loyal men.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You need half (51% in Old Gods) of the counties and at least 3 duchies. You can leave the rest of the duchies unformed if you need the cash.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

As a peace offering then, I shall permit you to marry one of my attractive granddaughters. Only slightly inbred!

Mundane posted:

Jesus the stories you get out of this game sometime.

So I'm playing as my 60 year old Norse Emperor of Scandinavia, with the reformed religion. Things are going pretty decent, I've finally hit a stretch of time where the HRE (I consoled them into existence in 920 AD to give myself a sort of rival superpower, seriously Vikings are OP) isn't sending doomstacks into my lands, I had finally fixed my error from early 880 in that I gave a lot of land to my dynasty and they were constantly in-fighting, my strong and attractive heir had finally popped out a genius, strong kid at age 35. I was able to spend money on more construction and things were looking great.

Then, 2 years of peace and building later, from way out of left field, my 82 year old sister who holds no lands and has no children, assassinates my heir. I guess she was holding a grudge or something. I figured that wasn't such a big deal. I had primogeniture, and I was pretty confident that I could raise and educate my grandson before kicking the bucket, so that when I did my brother wouldn't attempt to usurp the empire. Hell I even gave her the Jarldom of Jylland since I figured she would kick the bucket soon anyways and I would inherit it when she did.

Lo and behold, when my grandson is age 7, I am assassinated by the brother. Within 3 days of taking control of my uneducated 7 year old Emperor, he declares me a pretender and launches his claim on Scandinavia from Finland, where he had been set up in a Jarldom. Thinking I could be quick and crush his 10k armies with my retinues and the King of Finland's levies, I set about crushing the claim.

All of a sudden my armies disappeared. My total troop reserve that I could call up went from 115k to 23k, in one day. My uncle had been secretly forming alliances through marriages that I never really paid attention to, since I was focused on the HRE wars for the last 30 years. He called in all the Kings, and most of the Jarls who were my direct vassals.

I was panicking, since I had no heir and it would mean a game over if I was to die, and my uncle now had 76k troops to my retinue of 8000 + 16k personal levies. I called in all the allies I could, hoping for any Norse backup that wasn't part of the Empire, and then consolidated my troops and boats into the Jarldom of Skane where most of my holdings were.

Nobody answers, except one person. My great-aunt, the one who murdered my father, who was now 87 years old, decides to fight with me. And she has 25k troops.

What follows is a 10 year civil war that I BARELY win, fighting tooth and nail and using navy bombs to force the AI to maneuver itself too thin. I managed to capture two of his sons near the end, which helped with my war score. When he finally surrendered, I had a grand total of 18 prisoners. I ransomed off who I could, released those who were of no value...but I kept the traitors.

It was time for a blot.

Stories like these are what blots are made for. It wouldn't be game over if you died, btw, as long as one of your dynasty members holds land, you'll continues.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 15, 2013

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zurai posted:

You need half (51% in Old Gods) of the counties and at least 3 duchies. You can leave the rest of the duchies unformed if you need the cash.

I'm Norse. I (my neighbors) have all the cash I need.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Shade2142 posted:

One more question:

If my heir is thrown in jail for plotting against me, can he still inherit titles when I die while he's in prison?

Imprisoning an heir doesn't dismiss him from succession, so he would inherit normally, and if he inherits the highest title of the person who imprisoned him he is released. i.e. in Gavelkind, the oldest son would get your highest title and be released from what are now his own dungeons. Any younger sons will inherit normally but remain locked in their cell.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Admittedly, the bastards will run around loving up your pretty borders and scheming against each other, but they'll also give you fun surprises like going MINE, MOTHERFUCKER and declaring war on their own against somebody you've still got a truce with.
I actually kinda like king vassals for this reason. Sure, they can be a huge pain in the rear end, but they tend to be strong enough that they'll actually take independent action against people outside of your realm. God help you if you drop below medium crown authority, though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Zoroastrian realms are pretty goddamn stable between the +10 Saoshyant Descendant, +10 Holy Marriage and the many honorary titles you can hand out. I've been giving away kingdom titles and even those guys don't think about screwing with me. The worst situation I was in had me at 29/9 over the holding limit and I soldiered through that too, while at war with vassal levies raised. :smugdog:

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Zoroastrian realms are pretty goddamn stable between the +10 Saoshyant Descendant, +10 Holy Marriage and the many honorary titles you can hand out. I've been giving away kingdom titles and even those guys don't think about screwing with me. The worst situation I was in had me at 29/9 over the holding limit and I soldiered through that too, while at war with vassal levies raised. :smugdog:

I actually rarely have problems with vassals, because I often run elective monarchy and have my ruler educate the heirs to his largest direct vassals.

That nets you a few very good things:
1. You get a Mentor relationship boost with the tutored heir, plus a boost with his father.
2. You can arrange a lot of positive traits for your vassals, meaning a lot of Both X boosts (and if you're lucky, you can get them the Content trait and have your very own personal doormat forever). This also improves the pool of eligible heirs.
3. If they're newly added vassals of the wrong culture, you can civilize the heir, should you not feel like just yanking their title and installing a member of your dynasty.

Winter kingdoms/empires tend to be giant lovefests.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Are there any actual decent tutorials for modding the game? All I've found so far is a wiki page with three paragraphs or so about events.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Finally got around to creating the Empire of Scandinavia last night.
Also managed to hike Crown Authority up to High in preparation for changing the Succession Law.

I'm still not sure what to change to, though. I'm tempted to go Elective to keep my vassals a bit happier, but I've found Primogeniture easier to deal with in the past.

What I am going to do, though, is keep High Crown Authority in case I get a succession to an unpopular ruler.

EDIT
For some reason, the tooltip for the Ireland law change is greyed-out, with a cross by 'Has reigned for at least 10 years', but my dude's been King for 16. Any thoughts?

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 15, 2013

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

I swear the 'adventurer has a claim on your title" wars have to have some weird bug in the new patch.

I was the Kingdom of Mauritania, and I owned all of Muslim Spain and all of Africa (west of Egypt), and could raise roughly ~35,000 men (a few of my vassals were annoyed with me). An adventurer showed up with a claim on the Kingdom of Africa, and over 40,000 dudes. Some random landless guy was capable of raising an army roughly the same size as that of the Byzantine Empire or Abbasid Caliphate. Makes sense.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I'm currently the King of Denmark, after delegating some titles out to thin out my direct vassals I'm left with personally holding the Duchy of Sjaelland as well as the County of Sjaelland. I want to give the County to one of my sons so I don't have to deal with the mayors but I can't seem to grant this title to anyone. I can't give either the Duchy or the County to my unlanded sons, but one of my sons who is the Duke of Jylland can be granted the Duchy of Sjaelland. What are the rules on landed titles?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You have to hold a county to be a duke.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

ArcticZombie posted:

I'm currently the King of Denmark, after delegating some titles out to thin out my direct vassals I'm left with personally holding the Duchy of Sjaelland as well as the County of Sjaelland. I want to give the County to one of my sons so I don't have to deal with the mayors but I can't seem to grant this title to anyone. I can't give either the Duchy or the County to my unlanded sons, but one of my sons who is the Duke of Jylland can be granted the Duchy of Sjaelland. What are the rules on landed titles?

My guess would be the country of Sjaelland is your capital -- you have to have your capital in your personal demesne, so you cannot grant it to anyone. And to hold a duchy you have to have at least one county that is a de jure part of it. Sounds like the Duke of Jylland also has a county that's de jure a part of Sjaelland.

Boiled Water posted:

You have to hold a county to be a duke.

This is kinda true, depending on how you parse it -- strictly speaking, if you're a king/emperor, you can hold a duchy without having any of the counties. But if you're lower rank than that (or are trying to grant it to someone who's a lower rank than that) then yes, you(/they) need a de jure county.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 15, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ArcticZombie posted:

You cannot give away your last county.

Morol
May 21, 2007

Is there a mod that make the AI not move their capital around too much. Seeing the Abbasids ruled from some desolate place in Arabia and not Baghdad is pretty silly.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
So if I was to grant the Duchy to my son, and keep hold of the county, how would that work with regards to who is who's liege? Would I be his liege regardless?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yep, kings will not become the vassals of dukes. The rank system is rigid.

He will become the duke of Sjaelland, you will still have the county of Sjaelland. Instead of becoming his vassal, you'll still be the liege as King of Denmark, but your son will have a negative opinion (worth I think about -20 in vanilla) that says, "Desires Control of the County of Sjaelland". Dukes have these modifiers on anyone else holding onto or controlling though vassals a de jure county of theirs.

edit: critical typo

Caufman fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 15, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

kingturnip posted:

EDIT
For some reason, the tooltip for the Ireland law change is greyed-out, with a cross by 'Has reigned for at least 10 years', but my dude's been King for 16. Any thoughts?
The clock resets when you created the Empire, because the game's counting how long he's held his primary title. Bit of a bug, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've figured out a way to spread my dynasty in a semi safe manner. I use prepared invasions to take over large areas and grant them to a son or family member way down the line of succession and grant them independence. This allows me to set up strong branches that will expand independently.

• Locked thread