Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the triangular darkened corners of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

single-mode fiber posted:

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the triangular darkened corners of the sky.
I thought the same. Otherwise I think it looks pretty great. The sky is realistic and the water is just watery enough to be interesting on the rocks as opposed to completely milky nothingness.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

_6090003-Edit.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6090002-Edit.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

IMG_0129.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

IMG_0107.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

20130601-018-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130601-017-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130601-013-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

^^ Fog owns shoot more fog.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Rules.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How long are you exposure on these?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Saint Fu posted:

How long are you exposure on these?

Usually about a minute some upwards of 5 minutes.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Beacon Cove by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Cape Schanck by Alex Gard, on Flickr

I really need to sort out my filter bracket, or get a better system. I am sick of having to crop out the sides of photos where I use it.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 11, 2013

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Diggin' this a lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sludge Tank posted:

Cape Schanck by Alex Gard, on Flickr

I really need to sort out my filter bracket, or get a better system. I am sick of having to crop out the sides of photos where I use it.

Whoa, beautiful.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Badass, these are IR, right? How did you adapt your camera to do that?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Boneitis posted:

Badass, these are IR, right? How did you adapt your camera to do that?

I bought a 720nm IR filter on ebay for 6 bucks, and slapped it on the camera. The OM-D has a pretty weak IR filter so you can get away with it.

To get the colors like that you swap the red/blue channels, and then mess around with the white balance and stuff until it starts to look ok.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:drat:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Phwooooaaaarrr! This is a thing of beauty.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really like these, very clean feel to them.

Nice view this morning

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Love both of these, but especially the top one. Is that digital or film - and if digital can I ask what you're doing with them in post? It's very similar to a look and feel I've been chasing lately.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I pretty much love anything 8th samurai posts automatically.

just down the road by terrorsaurus, on Flickr

under a giant bridge by terrorsaurus, on Flickr

I went for a walk this morning.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Helicity posted:

Love both of these, but especially the top one. Is that digital or film - and if digital can I ask what you're doing with them in post? It's very similar to a look and feel I've been chasing lately.

It's digital and I did a ton of work on it, with nothing consistent. It's kind of hard to replicate.
If you use Nik's Color Efex Pro 4 I can send you my "recipe" but the source image was a 3exp HDR merged to a 32bit image. I used Lightroom to pull down the curve and highlights while boosting shadows, contrast, and clarity (just a bit). Also did a little split toning. But the bulk of it all was in Color Efex with a bunch of Colorize, Brilliance/Warmth, cross processing, etc.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 11, 2013

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

These are both great, great subtle tones.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Fooled around a bit with a 10 stop filter, that poo poo is addictive.

FLASH by Daniel Sjöström, on Flickr

Early morning standing on the bridge in the previous shot. Should have brought my tele, not sure if you can see it but there was a an epic wall of fog at the far end of the river.

BRAGGING RIGHTS by Daniel Sjöström, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Damienz posted:

Fooled around a bit with a 10 stop filter, that poo poo is addictive.

I know, right. I don't think mine will be coming off my UWA any time soon. Speaking of, a while ago I dropped my camera and a filter got smashed, the filter thread on the end of the lens has a little bit of a dent in it, meaning I can screw filters on and off with great effort and also files off metal dust which is annoying. is this easy/cheap to get fixed? I'm hoping it;s just a part that can be replaced rather than the whole lens body

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

10 stop NDs are great.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

On May 19 I was in the highlands of Malaysian Borneo, in Kinabalu Park, during a major thunderstorm.

Sabah Tea Plantation by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Sabah Sunset by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Mt. Kinabalu by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Picnic Princess posted:

On May 19 I was in the highlands of Malaysian Borneo, in Kinabalu Park, during a major thunderstorm.

Mt. Kinabalu by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr
Post more like these.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Divots by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Confined Space Hazard by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

This Dam Holds Strong Against The Pressure of Ten Million, Nine Hundred Sixty Eight Thousand Cubic Meters of Water by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Juncture Point by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

A Bird Rests On The Outlet Platforms For The Downstream Pumps by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

A Man and his Dogs by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Couple by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

On a Walk by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 14, 2013

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Nice. Bird makes it.

Turns out the D90 is more rain proof than you might expect.

DSC_8464.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8470-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8482.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8449.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

meso
Jun 14, 2013
Some really great shots in this thread, not quite up to par with some of the others, but I really do enjoy landscapes...

First shot was taken at a place called Grootvadersbosch, which is a remote little area about 3 hours drive from Cape Town, in South Africa. My girlfriend and I were there for a vacation, mostly to do some birding. The weather had other plans though, and I found myself dragging myself out of bed in the cold, in the hopes that conditions would lend itself to some photographic opportunity. I drove along a quiet gravel road when the fog rolled in, I did my best to find the closest line of trees to make the most of the shot. It wasn't perfect, but it sufficed.

The second shot here was taken during another event of fog, at a local beach in South Africa. It's a location that I, and many other photographers have shot to death, but the conditions lent itself to offering a different take than most of the usual sunset shots done here.

I was on the road when this sunset began, it was showing signs of potential throughout the day though, and I made sure to take my camera along. So I ended up rushing to the nearby beach as soon as I was able to. It was a hot summer's day and the beach was pretty full, but the few individuals standing on the shore line offered some nice composition opportunities.

Another case of going for birds, but in the end turning it into a landscape shoot. I had gone to the local nature reserve during a lunch time, when clouds rolled in thick and fast, and the light reflecting off the falling rain in the distance made me quickly change from the 400mm to the 10-20mm to capture this.

A few from this year...

meso fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 14, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

scottch posted:

Nice. Bird makes it.

Turns out the D90 is more rain proof than you might expect.

DSC_8464.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8470-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8449.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

I like the sky/sea colours in the first two a lot, sort of think I'd go out looking for. In the second shot I'd clone out whatever's floating in the sea off the rock point.

Last one; personal preference, but I'd take the bottom crop up a little until the amount of rock along the bottom-left edge of the frame is the same as the amount of sky on the top-right edge, makes the sky and rock mirrored shapes with third band of colours between them.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

meso posted:

Some really great shots in this thread, not quite up to par with some of the others, but I really do enjoy landscapes...

First shot was taken at a place called Grootvadersbosch, which is a remote little area about 3 hours drive from Cape Town, in South Africa. My girlfriend and I were there for a vacation, mostly to do some birding. The weather had other plans though, and I found myself dragging myself out of bed in the cold, in the hopes that conditions would lend itself to some photographic opportunity. I drove along a quiet gravel road when the fog rolled in, I did my best to find the closest line of trees to make the most of the shot. It wasn't perfect, but it sufficed.

The second shot here was taken during another event of fog, at a local beach in South Africa. It's a location that I, and many other photographers have shot to death, but the conditions lent itself to offering a different take than most of the usual sunset shots done here.

I was on the road when this sunset began, it was showing signs of potential throughout the day though, and I made sure to take my camera along. So I ended up rushing to the nearby beach as soon as I was able to. It was a hot summer's day and the beach was pretty full, but the few individuals standing on the shore line offered some nice composition opportunities.

Another case of going for birds, but in the end turning it into a landscape shoot. I had gone to the local nature reserve during a lunch time, when clouds rolled in thick and fast, and the light reflecting off the falling rain in the distance made me quickly change from the 400mm to the 10-20mm to capture this.

A few from this year...

I really like how your pictures tend to lead the eye away from the foreground and almost make it settle on the horizon line. I also love how the complete lack of information on the fog's depth leaves you wondering how high up you really were. At first, I thought that you were crouching on some ten feet high poles, but then I saw the fence and realized that the fog is only inches deep

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

meso posted:

You humble person. These are really nice.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I like the sky/sea colours in the first two a lot, sort of think I'd go out looking for. In the second shot I'd clone out whatever's floating in the sea off the rock point.

Last one; personal preference, but I'd take the bottom crop up a little until the amount of rock along the bottom-left edge of the frame is the same as the amount of sky on the top-right edge, makes the sky and rock mirrored shapes with third band of colours between them.

I think you're right about the crop. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Picnic Princess posted:

Sabah Tea Plantation by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

I like this, but I feel like it would work better if there was a bit more road in the foreground, maybe less sky at the top. The mordor shot is awesome!

Greenhouse 3 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really think this would be better if you cropped out the bottom half.