Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrSpiffy posted:

LISTEN OK MY BROTHER BOUGHT ONE AND IT'S SITTING HERE STARING AT ME AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT

You could reenact one of the best scenes from Office Space. :toughguy:

Acquire Currency! posted:

Say his name three times and he appears in any thread.

Also works for Derek Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
This unboxing video is like a giant OUYA metaphor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-EdmpupaQY

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
except that there's nothing even moderately good-looking about Julie.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/ouya-tries-crash-e3-feuds-esa-171508817.html

Whelp, Ouya's officially hit the big time. Guess everyone's getting on for christmas now

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I hope today's announcement goes something like "Since we've now shipped 100% of early backer consoles, we're proud to announce OUYA DevCamp! The greatest gathering of minds from the OUYA community to help you either refine and polish your game, or get you to hit the ground running with your new and innovative idea for an OUYA game!"

$2000 later, you unlock the door of your room at Motel 6, and survey your home for the next week. The AC also doesn't work, so you can overheat in sympathy with your limited edition backer OUYA, bringing you closer together.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

packetgrinder posted:

Extraordinary.
Here's the short of it:
Camera dies.
Free beer.
A controller.
Camera dies.
I feel stupid, I didn't realize Android was a customized Linux. Or didn't care.
Don't worry you can open it without voiding your warranty. (Warranty?)
Camera dies.
I'm going to E3. The sun is coming down.
The end.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
In truth, unboxing videos are a cancer of our times and have never, or will never, be remotely funny or interesting.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I too am obsessed with USB connectivity.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cippalippus posted:

In truth, unboxing videos are a cancer of our times and have never, or will never, be remotely funny or interesting.

Whats it like to be wrong about everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1InwttWOg

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

She seems more obsessed with that fact that it technically "runs on Linux" than anything else about it. Like I wouldn't be surprised if she never actually plugs it in and she just heard the word "linux" then blacked out and woke up $100 later.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cippalippus posted:

Um, excuse me :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkpy7eLGdG0

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

The Pivos Xios already does all this at the same price point as an OUYA.

You have to buy a decent bluetooth controller if you'd like to game on it, but well... you have to do that on the OUYA to.

Why are there so many of these devices that ALMOST do it all? It seems like the gamepad/keyboard/mouse thing is the biggest pain in the rear end to get around with these mini PCs.
Nobody wants a keyboard(even a small one) and mouse on their coffee table.
Just give em all native support for an Xbox360 controller with a chatpad. Mouse the mouse cursor with the loving analog stick!

I have one of these but it has a very short range. Not to mention that using the mouse buttons AND the track pad at the same time is awkward.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UE52ME/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its a good thing I can use this instead:
GOD'S GIFT TO XBMC USERS (especially ones who use OpenElec on Raspberry Pi since it side steps its performance limitations)

Slybo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 14, 2013

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

MrSpiffy posted:

LISTEN OK MY BROTHER BOUGHT ONE AND IT'S SITTING HERE STARING AT ME AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT

Clearly the only solution is to replace your brother. Because the odds of someone making a more enjoyable OUYA experience are far less llkely to succeed.

VextheGrey posted:

I know it was discussed a couple of days ago, but I visited the Ouya parking lot day 1, it was so sad. More people were there for the food trucks than anything else. Also, because I didn't see an in-person shot, and it's just so :psyduck:, here's the beer cozy and strange propaganda I picked up:

That no bullshit line before good games. Priceless.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 14, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

OrganizedInsanity posted:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/ouya-tries-crash-e3-feuds-esa-171508817.html

Whelp, Ouya's officially hit the big time. Guess everyone's getting on for christmas now

It's official. As long as you pitch anything as "the big guy picking on the little guy", everyone will believe every word of it without critical analysis and take the little guy's side.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Al Borland posted:

That no bullshit line before good games. Priceless.

Not good games. Great games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Requested_Username posted:

Not good games. Great games.

Ouya games good? They're grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slybo posted:

Nobody wants a keyboard and mouse on their coffee table.

I'm kinda okay with it, but my machine is a full HTPC rather than being an emulator box and I mostly use the wireless 360 controller. Someone turning that into a windows pointing device would win my undying and inappropriate gratitude.

The irony of the Iphone solution isn't _totally_ lost on you, I assume?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Hav posted:

I'm kinda okay with it, but my machine is a full HTPC rather than being an emulator box and I mostly use the wireless 360 controller. Someone turning that into a windows pointing device would win my undying and inappropriate gratitude.

The irony of the Iphone solution isn't _totally_ lost on you, I assume?

Good news, it's pretty easy

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
You see these, These are screws! :smuggo:

It's as if she doesn't know that you can pick up Torx or Torx security bits, as well as hex wrenches, all at your local Radioshack. :smithicide:

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

SocketSeven posted:

You see these, These are screws! :smuggo:

It's as if she doesn't know that you can pick up Torx or Torx security bits, as well as hex wrenches, all at your local Radioshack. :smithicide:

The bit about "proprietary screws" just screamed open source crowd. And that crowd can be incredibly obnoxious. Also, Ubuntu reviews... :ughh:

I guess we're just months away from someone bragging about installing some sort of homebrew Linux on BIGONE.

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 14, 2013

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

packetgrinder posted:

Someone ask Julie on twitter if modding your hardware voids the warranty.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
OUYA really missed the boat using regular Philips head screws. I mean, Philips head and flat head are the big 2 of the screwdriver world.

Look at all the indy screw bits they could be supporting, instead of supporting the philips head monopoly!

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips-Plus-So-Much-Mor/?ALLSTEPS

DOWN WITH PHILIPS! UP WITH BRISTOL 4-SPLINE DRIVE

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Oh look, they deleted the tweet. :allears:

Here's the (now dead) link: https://twitter.com/playouya/status/345367943229603840

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh look, they deleted the tweet. :allears:

Here's the (now dead) link: https://twitter.com/playouya/status/345367943229603840

I think I might be missing something... what is the bad part that warrants deleting and why?

Malek fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 14, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Malek posted:

I think I might be missing something... what is the bad part that warrants deleting and why?

It's the tweet where THE MAN wasn't letting those INNOCENT KIDS into E3 because they had good American OUYA shirts on.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

They were? I thought they were all anti-E3, letting in kids and stuff. No meetings! gently caress the man! Hack the planet!

Currently the OUYA hacks the man and fucks the planet.

But this is just a pre-release, and right now the dev team is working really hard to promote your games at E3, and I'm sure it will be updated in a firmware release shortly.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

It's a shame I had that tab still open:

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

quote:

"We're always seeking feedback and advice from both gamers and developers," said Uhrman. "We will never be final; it always gets better so that we can incorporate changes into our software and into our hardware months and years to come.

"We always want to be on the best processing chip and offer the best experience to gamers. Our refresh will be much more similar to that of mobile than to traditional consoles," she explained. "We want to leverage the best chips, we want to leverage the falling prices of commodity components. But we want to make sure that when we do so there are enough games that are optimized for that technology so that it's justified and you can really show off the difference."

http://www.destructoid.com/ouya-refresh-will-be-more-like-mobile-than-consoles-256280.phtml

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

The Ouya will always be able to play the latest version of Angry Birds. What a relief!

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

quote:

(OUYA)... will never be final; it always gets better so that we can incorporate changes into our software and into our hardware months and years to come.

I've never heard of platform fragmentation as "getting better" before. Learn something every day. I wonder how many different joystick profiles OUYA games will eventually have to support? A different one per batch of sensors?

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Project M.O.J.O is gonna save the day
http://www.slashgear.com/mad-catz-project-m-o-j-o-android-gaming-console-tips-tegra-4-11286051/

Google Play instead of a half-assed proprietary store.
Possibly getting Tegra4 in final production version.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I've been reading through some of this thread, and I am truly amazed that Ouya is real. I have a question though. How did this raise 8.5 million dollars. Why would anyone fund this, or buy an Ouya? Honestly the entire thing reminds me of that hilariously well named console, THE PHANTOM. Another question, can someone explain the name. Is it an acronym for something? I feel like a real moron asking these questions, but this is honestly baffling to me.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Ouya ontdya skaya hosetya indkya of uestionqya! :mad:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ace_beef posted:

I've been reading through some of this thread, and I am truly amazed that Ouya is real. I have a question though. How did this raise 8.5 million dollars. Why would anyone fund this, or buy an Ouya? Honestly the entire thing reminds me of that hilariously well named console, THE PHANTOM. Another question, can someone explain the name. Is it an acronym for something? I feel like a real moron asking these questions, but this is honestly baffling to me.
Naive people with more money than sense who have a romanticised view of indies. OUYA = Open Universe YA; another show of amazing foresight.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ace_beef posted:

Another question, can someone explain the name. Is it an acronym for something?

Open Unit YA

It's German.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ace_beef posted:

How did this raise 8.5 million dollars.

It didn't. They've raised something like 15 millions.

ace_beef posted:

Why would anyone fund this, or buy an Ouya?

Well you see uuuuuuh...

ace_beef posted:

Another question, can someone explain the name.

Nope.

ace_beef posted:

Is it an acronym for something?

Our best guess is "Open Up Your rear end", but this has not been confirmed.

ace_beef posted:

this is honestly baffling to me.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ace_beef posted:

Remember Bitcoin? It's like that.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Its easy to be critical of funding the ouya but what really blows my mind is people plopping down $300 for that lame rear end omnidirectional treadmill thing.
That is a product with NO future. The backers don't even get a production model and have to build half of it themselves with their own materials.

Slybo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Thanks for answering the questions.

I can only hope Julie is embezzling a lot of money, then this would make sense.

• Locked thread