Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Slybo posted:

Its easy to be critical of funding the ouya but what really blows my mind is people plopping down $300 for that lame rear end omnidirectional treadmill thing.
That is a product with NO future. The backers don't even get a production model and have to build half of it themselves with their own materials.

How easy opinions change...

Slybo posted:

So for $99 can I replace my Raspberry Pi with a device that not only runs XBMC faster, but seamlessly smooth and can also play SNES games(roms) on my tv?
Without having to buy anything from their....quaint little online marketplace

You see that excitement in the first post? That's why everybody funded it. On paper, it's not bad as a pirate-a-bunch-of-games-and-movies box. People had some faith and assumed they wouldn't be lying pieces of poo poo who couldn't even manage a class of Kindergarteners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Uhg. I hosed up my point.
I meant its easy to be critical of funding the ouya in retrospect (for some dumb rear end reason I forgot to type that word)
It wasn't unreasonable for backers to think it was actually going to do what they said it would.
I THEN proceeded to point out a kickstarter that just dosnt make any sense at all to fund.

And "excitement in the first post". I'm sorry but no, you misinterpreted my tone.

Slybo fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 15, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Remember Bitcoin? It's like that.

And like bitcoin, it's taken seriously by people who are supposed to know what they're talking about despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary just because it's SUBVERTING THE SYSTEM!

Slybo posted:

Its easy to be critical of funding the ouya but what really blows my mind is people plopping down $300 for that lame rear end omnidirectional treadmill thing.
That is a product with NO future. The backers don't even get a production model and have to build half of it themselves with their own materials.

The key difference is if I was rich I'd buy the gently caress out of one of those treadmills while I still wouldn't care about the Ouya.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

ace_beef posted:

Is it an acronym for something? I feel like a real moron asking these questions, but this is honestly baffling to me.

Open Up Your rear end. It's what all the Kickstarter backers did.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

njsykora posted:

The key difference is if I was rich I'd buy the gently caress out of one of those treadmills while I still wouldn't care about the Ouya.

Its not that much of a difference really. You are just trading one worthless item for another.
What happens if you turn around and get your Oculus cables wrapped around you? It reeks of being a novelty gimmick piece of crap that you use for a day and then never touch again, quietly wishing you never wasted money on it.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Slybo posted:

Project M.O.J.O is gonna save the day
http://www.slashgear.com/mad-catz-project-m-o-j-o-android-gaming-console-tips-tegra-4-11286051/

Google Play instead of a half-assed proprietary store.
Possibly getting Tegra4 in final production version.

Look it's a good move to allow it to use the Google Play store but they couldn't be bothered to customize the OS (outside of the wallpaper) at all?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slybo posted:

It wasn't unreasonable for backers to think it was actually going to do what they said it would.

Amazingly lots of people here recognized it as a DOA turd during the Kickstarter. If you put any critical thought into it, the concept immediately fell apart.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Crackbone posted:

Amazingly lots of people here recognized it as a DOA turd during the Kickstarter. If you put any critical thought into it, the concept immediately fell apart.

The entire first thread is full of people pointing this out, and certain other people not getting it and insisting this was going to be THE next big thing.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Well then I guess I'm just lucky that I didn't kick start ouya simply because it didn't interest me at the time.
(I doubt I would have kick-started it even if I was)

Slybo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 15, 2013

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

cronox2 posted:

Look it's a good move to allow it to use the Google Play store but they couldn't be bothered to customize the OS (outside of the wallpaper) at all?

Why put some laggy rear end launcher or skin on it? This is exactly what people don't want.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Slybo posted:

Yeah, I mean it's not like they promised a root button "right on the box" or anything.

There were so many red flag statements in their kickstarter that it amazes me how it ever got funded.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Slybo posted:

Well then I guess I'm just lucky that I didn't kick start ouya simply because it didn't interest me at the time.
(I doubt I would have kick-started it even if I was)

Basically, there's no reason for a developer to release things on it other than ignorance. Your chance of profit at any effort level is basically 0.

Which sinks the whole thing, really.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Slybo posted:

What happens if you turn around and get your Oculus cables wrapped around you? It reeks of being a novelty gimmick piece of crap that you use for a day and then never touch again, quietly wishing you never wasted money on it.
I thought the consumer version of the Oculus was going to be wireless.

I don't know about the Omnitreadmill + Oculus thing for a home set-up but think about schools/museums/architect design/events.
Government wants a big fancy new Arts center? Someone designs it and takes them through a fully rendered virtual tour of it.
Or at a convention or something, a movie you can walk around in.

The OUYA? I can play phone games on my couch!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Cippalippus posted:

In truth, unboxing videos are a cancer of our times and have never, or will never, be remotely funny or interesting.

AMVs are still the #1 worst waste byproduct of video sharing.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Those examples are too lofty and task specific to be mass marketable. $300 is a lot to ask for on their part.

And I'm not fighting with you about the OUYA. I haven't been keeping up on it nor have I "put any critical thought into it".
I did in fact foolishly assume it might be an eay way to replace some of my existing gadgets some day. Then I went on with my life.
Now that its almost about to launch I am only recently educating myself about its true lovely nature.
Some us just passively sat back and hoped for something similar to an Android stick that was designed with games in mind. You know? Cuz even though it caught our attention we still didn't pay THAT much attention to it.
You had it pegged from the start. Well congrats to you! Your smart & I'm dumb. Are we good now?

And I havnt heard about the Rift being wireless. That would be pretty cool (but how much will that battery weigh)?

Slybo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2013

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Releasing a new console every year, strictly more powerful than the last, isn't inherently a bad model. Yes, it's a form of fragmentation, which means that development and testing costs are higher because the environment is less predictable and the game has to adjust for the capabilities of the actual hardware. But fragmentation isn't on/off.

For example, consider a platform where you had to support a combinatorial explosion of:
  • at least 4 plausible recent OS releases, each with its own release of the game-programming libraries
  • something like 20 plausible recent processor families, each with multiple clockings, from multiple vendors, with major differences in both performance and features (e.g. 3 separate recent upgrades in SIMD support)
  • conditional OS support for a different processor ISA, use of which has several major performance trade-offs
  • broad variance in the quantity and speed of available memory
  • dozens of plausible graphics subsystems (and multiple driver releases for each) from multiple vendors, with huge variance in speed, memory, and features
  • an unreliable software environment with at best weak guarantees of exclusive control over major system resources
That platform would be obviously, massively worse to develop for (all else being equal) than a dedicated console that revved once a year where developers typically tried to support at least the last 2-3 iterations. But, of course, that platform is the PC, and developers manage to release a pretty healthy supply of good titles there, because it turns out that you can control for this stuff to a certain extent. You design your engine to scale with and exploit what it's given, and at some point you impose minimum requirements, and gamers just know that they need to keep upgrading if the want to keep running at max settings.

And, frankly, the current console model where manufacturers lose money on hardware for a year or so because they have to lock in the best specs they can is kindof silly.

I don't think the OUYA will succeed, but planned obsolescence isn't going to be why.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Has anyone put their OUYA inside of their OUYA beer koozie yet? I can't find any pictures, Google isn't helping.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Gorgolflox posted:

Has anyone put their OUYA inside of their OUYA beer koozie yet? I can't find any pictures, Google isn't helping.

It would overheat very quickly.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Hatbox Ghost posted:

It would overheat very quickly.

But they put the heat vent on the bottom. God man if you just put it in the ice cooler you won't have to worry about this stuff! Just throw it next to the pabst blue ribbon when you have your friends come over in flannel to knock a few Zemas down while watching old tapings of friends on VHS.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How many shots of alcohol would fit inside the OUYA's shell if you removed the PCB? This is important.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

DalaranJ posted:

How many shots of alcohol would fit inside the OUYA's shell if you removed the PCB? This is important.

I think this would be the only time those bottom air vents would be relevant.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

rjmccall posted:

Releasing a new console every year, strictly more powerful than the last, isn't inherently a bad model. Yes, it's a form of fragmentation, which means that development and testing costs are higher because the environment is less predictable and the game has to adjust for the capabilities of the actual hardware. But fragmentation isn't on/off.

For example, consider a platform where you had to support a combinatorial explosion of:
  • at least 4 plausible recent OS releases, each with its own release of the game-programming libraries
  • something like 20 plausible recent processor families, each with multiple clockings, from multiple vendors, with major differences in both performance and features (e.g. 3 separate recent upgrades in SIMD support)
  • conditional OS support for a different processor ISA, use of which has several major performance trade-offs
  • dozens of plausible graphics subsystems (and multiple driver releases for each) from multiple vendors, with huge variance in speed, memory, and features
  • an unreliable software environment with at best weak guarantees of exclusive control over major system resources
That platform would be obviously, massively worse to develop for (all else being equal) than a dedicated console that revved once a year where developers typically tried to support at least the last 2-3 iterations. But, of course, that platform is the PC, and developers manage to release a pretty healthy supply of good titles there, because it turns out that you can control for this stuff to a certain extent. You design your engine to scale with and exploit what it's given, and at some point you impose minimum requirements, and gamers just know that they need to keep upgrading if the want to keep running at max settings.

And, frankly, the current console model where manufacturers lose money on hardware for a year or so because they have to lock in the best specs they can is kindof silly.

I don't think the OUYA will succeed, but planned obsolescence isn't going to be why.

But the whole point is that if you're willing to put up with the PC's fragmentation issues, there's no reason not to just develop for PC. No one buys a console or develops for a console because the hardware is nicer than what's available on PC, it's because you have a stable, largely identical system. The consumer knows games will run on it without having to check "oh does this game run properly on ATI"/"is my computer fast enough to run this", and the developers can test on a single environment.

Additionally, the OUYA already has major problems with install base and because of that, issues with the viability of porting to OUYA. Maybe it's worth it now when you barely have to change it from the android version, but if you need to take the android version and do version testing and scaling that might be different from what you've set up for different phones, why bother for 60,000 people with <1% conversion rate? Plus, since a lot of stuff developed for android will be for phones, it likely won't take advantage of the higher processing power of a new update to the OUYA, since they'll worry about battery consumption, older phones, etc.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 15, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So, the number of apps jumped up by ten overnight.

Don't worry, though. It's just one guy who ported 9 emulators and like one other game. For s second there I thought people were making games for OUYA.

June has been better than May. There have been 8 or so titles this month. They all look like the same garbage you would see on XBLIG.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

rjmccall posted:

Oh, kinda like Android? :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

theflyingorc posted:

June has been better than May. There have been 8 or so titles this month. They all look like the same garbage you would see on XBLIG.

At least the bad XBLIG games are funny. These just seem hideously boring.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is no luca no available for ouya?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tracula posted:

At least the bad XBLIG games are funny. These just seem hideously boring.

Does the Ouya controller have rumble? We could yet get a massage game.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Taciturn Tactician posted:

But the whole point is that if you're willing to put up with the PC's fragmentation issues, there's no reason not to just develop for PC. No one buys a console or develops for a console because the hardware is nicer than what's available on PC, it's because you have a stable, largely identical system. The consumer knows games will run on it without having to check "oh does this game run properly on ATI"/"is my computer fast enough to run this", and the developers can test on a single environment.

A yearly-updated console is much more manageable, though. There are so many possible configurations of PCs that it might as well be infinite, and the environment not being exclusive is killer. On a YUC, you'd have maybe five viable versions at once, all more similar than different, and they'd fall into a nice progression where each was strictly more powerful than the last. For developers, you just do basic playthrough testing on a couple extra devices. For users, the online store tells you before you buy that the game doesn't run on your ancient console, and physical copies (if you even care?) are branded "For YUC 3 And Up!" in big, bright letters.

Meanwhile, your console can always be profitable to make, and you can roll out better and better hardware every year, and your customers will price-differentiate themselves by deciding how often they want to upgrade. Some will do it every four years, and they'll probably get a year of not being to play all the newest games. Some will do it every two years, and they'll always be fine. Some people will upgrade every year, and others will upgrade to last years' model every year, and there will be tons of your old consoles floating out there, enticing people to your brand/platform (and then encouraging them to upgrade because their old console can't run the new sexy).

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Additionally, the OUYA already has major problems with install base and because of that, issues with the viability of porting to OUYA. Maybe it's worth it now when you barely have to change it from the android version, but if you need to take the android version and do version testing and scaling that might be different from what you've set up for different phones, why bother for 60,000 people with <1% conversion rate? Plus, since a lot of stuff developed for android will be for phones, it likely won't take advantage of the higher processing power of a new update to the OUYA, since they'll worry about battery consumption, older phones, etc.

Android itself is pretty drat fragmented, as somebody else observed. Someone writing portable stuff for Android is already either writing to a really minimal baseline or has an engine that scales to the hardware as best it can. In the former case, your game hopefully just works on the new hardware and doesn't need specific extra testing. In the latter case, tweaking the engine to take advantage of a specific platform's capabilities is not that much work.

Of course, doing any extra porting for OUYA is a waste of time, but that's because OUYA is dead in the water, not because YUCs are inherently unworkable. Almost nothing is worth doing if you're only going to gross $20 off it. The correct conclusion here is not "YUCs with an active install base of <10K are not viable", it's "No console with an active install base of <10K is viable".

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rjmccall posted:

Meanwhile, your console can always be profitable to make, and you can roll out better and better hardware every year, and your customers will price-differentiate themselves by deciding how often they want to upgrade. Some will do it every four years, and they'll probably get a year of not being to play all the newest games. Some will do it every two years, and they'll always be fine. Some people will upgrade every year, and others will upgrade to last years' model every year, and there will be tons of your old consoles floating out there, enticing people to your brand/platform (and then encouraging them to upgrade because their old console can't run the new sexy).

You're going to have to provide some sort of price evidence because console hardware manufacture is one hell of an expensive thing to do.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

theflyingorc posted:

So, the number of apps jumped up by ten overnight.

Don't worry, though. It's just one guy who ported 9 emulators and like one other game. For s second there I thought people were making games for OUYA.

How many games was Xboxpants toxx clause?

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

njark posted:

How many games was Xboxpants toxx clause?

XboxPants posted:

Alright then - since orc toxx'd that my prediction was wrong, I guess it's fair if I toxx that his is wrong.

I'll post a banme thread if the OUYA store never reaches 250 games/apps before Jan 1st, 2014. :toxx:

(terms: this doesn't mean it has to stay in business until Jan 1st; if OUYA reaches 250 titles in, say, July, and self-implodes in August, that still leaves me in the clear. The bet is about how many titles get created for OUYA, not how long they stay in business)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Boiled Water posted:

because console hardware manufacture is one hell of an expensive thing to do.

Not when you skip on component choice, engineering, build quality, quality assurance and software testing!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Slybo posted:

Its not that much of a difference really. You are just trading one worthless item for another.

Why are you so hung up on the completely optional treadmill part of it? That is gimmicky, but I doubt many people are even thinking of that when they think of the Rift. There are plenty of other applications even in video games that wouldn't need it.

- FPSes, as we've already seen, if you don't care about the "physically moving" part of the movement controls, you can just use a KB/M or a controller like people already do. Something like Mirror's Edge would be nuts.

- Pretty much any kind of simulator:
racing games,
flight sims,
mech games,
certain sports games,
pretty much anything with a first-person view, which exist in loving piles, would be goddamned amazing if you had a setup with the appropriate peripherals.

So that's five entire popular genres of video games I just came up with in like 30 seconds of thinking that would be enhanced with something like this, which is five more worthwhile things than you'll ever get out of the ouya. And if you think that people wouldn't pay $300 for something like this, considering we're only talking about game applications here, then you clearly don't know anyone who is into racing games, fighting games, or building high end gaming PCs.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

You're going to have to provide some sort of price evidence because console hardware manufacture is one hell of an expensive thing to do.

Well, "profitable" was probably a stretch, but it's pretty well-known that consoles start off being sold at an insane loss but that per-unit costs (at least to manufacture) tend to go black as the console sticks around. There are a lot of individual reasons for that — supply-chain optimizations, manufacturing improvements, overall technological improvements, etc. — but in general, the closer your hardware gets to being "commodity", the closer you can get to profitable.

Case in point: processor yields on the current generation consoles. The Xbox 360 motherboard is estimated to have dropped from about $370/unit at launch to $204 a year later. $370/unit is actually pretty good already, and it was made possible in part because the CPU was a tweaked PowerPC design which IBM already had a lot of production experience with; as process technology improved, they were able to quickly ramp up yields. Meanwhile, the PS3's Cell processor was a novel design that (at least initially) had massive manufacturing problems that, as I understand it, took years to get substantially better, even with two process jumps. If you're not forcing yourself to get out ahead of the market because otherwise you'll be ridiculously out-of-date for a decade, you don't have to ship with a processor with only 15% manufacturing yields.

Another example: at the PS3's launch, supply constraints on Blu-ray laser diodes alone were estimated to have increased the cost of the console by about $100. I'm not saying that this would've necessarily been the right strategic move, but under a yearly update scheme, they would have had the option to ship with only a DVD drive until the supply chain was sorted out.

And since each iteration is more similar than not to the last, supply chain and technology improvements from previous releases will still usually carry over to the next.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

But if you keep updating your console every year with newer, better hardware, you'll never get a chance to realize those types of savings?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

rjmccall posted:

I'm not saying that this would've necessarily been the right strategic move, but under a yearly update scheme, they would have had the option to ship with only a DVD drive until the supply chain was sorted out.

I think that would have had a considerable impact on game development and sales.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

rjmccall posted:

And since each iteration is more similar than not to the last, supply chain and technology improvements from previous releases will still usually carry over to the next.

Supply chain yes, but the technology improvements won't when they have to start from scratch for next year's Ouya that's rumored to be using a Tegra 4. It might be similar to a Tegra 3, but I doubt it'll be a straight plug in and go deal.

EDIT: But hey, they're apparently working closely with nVidia on this, even though nVidia is developing the Shield which in some ways directly competes with the Ouya, but whatever.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 16, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Hardware is sold at a loss because of licensing fees to release software on the platform. Microsoft is willing to lose money on the physical product because they make it up in third party games. There are no games on OUYA.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hardware is sold at a loss because of licensing fees to release software on the platform. Microsoft is willing to lose money on the physical product because they make it up in third party games. There are no games on OUYA.
Is OUYA even paying licensing fees on anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's not just game prices. The average console owner buys 5-6 games (that is an average, not a median, so it does not matter that some people buy way more than that). As I understand it, the manufacturer gets around a 10% cut (for retail sales). At $60/game, let's round up the manufacturer's total rake to $50.

Microsoft lost about $125 per Xbox 360 Premium it sold at launch just on manufacturing costs alone. (I don't have estimates for other variants. Sony's per-unit losses on PS3s were much higher.)

Microsoft's plan was to burn money establishing a viable platform and then bring production costs down to the point that the consoles are profitable to sell, on the assumption that a desirable platform will keep selling both consoles and games. And they did, within about two years, and have since proceeded to sell over four million consoles a year, and they continue to make a per-unit profit despite dropping the price.

There are funny things in the console industry, but it's not that special of a snowflake. Given its components, the OUYA should be making plenty of per-unit profit, and it should with a Tegra 4, too; it's just that it probably won't sell enough units to cover fixed costs.

• Locked thread