Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

El Gar posted:

In fact the opposite is true. This is a normal, intelligent person. That was my point.

What normal, intelligent person brings their child around a dog already known to be bad around children without precautions? That was my point. She was right to rehome him and I won't demonize her for feeling he should be put down (I agree, actually), but she's an idiot and as bad parent for putting her child in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Fraction posted:

When is this dumb puppy going to learn that if she walks in front of or sits right behind me I will kick and/or stand on her!? You'd think the amount of times I've booted her she'd have realised by now. (Lola certainly cottoned on fast.)

I bet she'll still get under my feet when she's huge.

Psyche trained me to pause before I go up stairs, otherwise she will typically shoulder-check me as she flies past.

Come to think of it, she sometimes also waits at the top of the stairs and then jumps up and puts her paws on my shoulders when I reach the top. Guys, I think my dog is trying to off me.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Apparently my dad trained one of his Finnish Spitz show dogs to bark when he wiggles his pinkie as the dog is stacked. Since they're supposed to be barky and alert, this is apparently really popular with judges.

Please get video of this!

I've tried a few ringcraft sessions for Artie and I'm still not sure we'll be any good at it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Floofs are very devious things. Masters of disguise.

:3:

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I beg to differ on the "kids and pets can't open locked doors" bit. My cats can bust open locked bedroom doors. I guess my point is that supervision of all parties is important even if you think they're properly restrained.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

NatashaQuick posted:

I beg to differ on the "kids and pets can't open locked doors" bit. My cats can bust open locked bedroom doors. I guess my point is that supervision of all parties is important even if you think they're properly restrained.

What the hell kind of sixteen-fingered monster cat do you have that can open doors? :catbert:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Tonight, Sheila puked up a foot-long barf. Seriously, she backed up as it came out, spreading it out neatly like a hellish, hairy pastry bag.

THANK YOU CAT.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Kind of irritated with my mom right now. Ever since I got here on Monday I've noticed a lot of discharge from Shadow's eyes and he's occasionally rubbing at them. Apparently, she had somehow not noticed this at all. I looked closely at them and found a foxtail. ARGH. Just because your pets constantly look ill and/or gross doesn't mean mine should too, mother. :argh:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Shifty Pony posted:

Floofs are very devious things. Masters of disguise.

:3:

WHERE IS TOY WHERE IS IT oh there it is

Kiri koli posted:

Psyche trained me to pause before I go up stairs, otherwise she will typically shoulder-check me as she flies past.

Come to think of it, she sometimes also waits at the top of the stairs and then jumps up and puts her paws on my shoulders when I reach the top. Guys, I think my dog is trying to off me.

:catstare: Psyche is not only top dog she is trying to make sure you never challenge her again.

My mum is taking Kalli today to meet a lil baby and a kitten. I am such a control freak, I am incredibly :ohdear: about it though Kalli will likely be fine. I have such a hard time letting go.

The puppy is also nearly 4 months and still pretty lazy. How have I ended up with a lazy working bred BC :saddowns:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

NatashaQuick posted:

Yeah, my friend's Boxer managed to find his way out of her locked apartment. A maintenance guy found him huddled up against the outside of her door, obviously confused about what had just happened. Things happen and certainly you need to be on top of things if there's something in the house that's a danger for your kid, even if you think that said dangerous thing is safely separated from the child. I mean even if you think you have all the knives and other assorted dangerous items in the kitchen out of your child's reach, you will still go see what he's up to if he's alone in the kitchen.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Someone say animals bursting into rooms unannounced?

I want to like this video more but I'm pretty sure this thing is way overweight.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I went to my sister's to meet Browning last night. He's a big sweet dope. We're all starting to think he might be a mix, given his size/build, personality, coat, etc. Possibly mixed with some kind of retriever breed. My vote is for Golden. He has no concept of personal space and tried to crawl into my lap :3:

Also, I think my cats are fat. Or at least a little fatter than they were when I left. I switched their food right before I left and didn't really have a chance to see how they did on it, so I'm wondering if it's just more calorie dense than what I was feeding before, or if maybe my house sitter wasn't as active with them, or what. Hopefully I can trim them back down.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Fraction posted:

My mum is taking Kalli today to meet a lil baby and a kitten. I am such a control freak, I am incredibly :ohdear: about it though Kalli will likely be fine. I have such a hard time letting go.

OH GOD SHE ATE THE BABY

AND THE KITTEN

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Serella posted:

What the hell kind of sixteen-fingered monster cat do you have that can open doors? :catbert:

Well one of them does have fourteen fingers but that doesn't seem to give him any advantage. He puts his paws under the crack of the door and pulls and plays with it until it pops open. My other cat shoulder-checks the door and busts right in. Those twist-knob bedroom latches are just not very secure. As for kids, I know my younger siblings figured out the little hole in the knob was for popping the latch from the outside pretty early on, I want to say before they turned three.

My cat did manage to bust out of my apartment once, but it was through a crappy window he pushed out of its frame. He was apparently outside screaming one apartment over because he didn't know which one was his and couldn't get in. :downs:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Ford decided to knead his paws on Zoso's rear end the other day. I have never heard such a pathetic squeal of horror come out of a dog before.
I wish I had a video of the incident, but I don't, so here's this:

One beagle, slightly shmooshed. by Donrufie, on Flickr

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fraction posted:

WHERE IS TOY WHERE IS IT oh there it is

:saddowns:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Griff officially wins the award for "most destructive chewer" out of all the dogs I've had. I got her an Orka Jack last weekend, because the last one I had lived through one of my old pit bull's puppyhoods, then Frankie's, then Moses', and then my mom's dog's. My mom's dog still has it and it's still in okay shape.

I gave Griff the new one on like Monday. By wednesday she was crapping large chunks of it, so I was going to throw the rest away, but couldn't find it.

Today she appeared with a 3 or 4 inch long nubbin of blue rubber that she had stashed somewhere. That's all that was left of it. She basically ate and crapped out an entire Orka Jack toy. :catstare:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

GUYS!!! I'm officially teaching my own obedience class through the park district starting in July!! :dance: :toot: I'M SO EXCITED!! I'll seriously make next to no money on it after I buy all the supplies I want to use, and I'm technically in the red if you count my insurance and various membership fees, but I don't care! I have my own class! It's gonna be so fun, I have an activity we're going to do on the first night where we'll clicker train one of the students. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
In one of the classes I assisted in the trainer clicker trained me to demonstrate it to the students. :3:

It taught me I would be a very tedious dog to clicker train. :saddowns:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I know this is from the last page, but I'd be really interested in a "Kids and Pets" thread and think that it'd be a great addition to PI. We're going to start trying for a baby in a couple of months and have 3 cats. Reading about other people's experiences and having all of the information from the last two pages in one easy to find place would be awesome.

I hate to ask someone to start a thread, but I hear a lot about people that think they have to give up their pets because they're having a baby.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Nione posted:

I know this is from the last page, but I'd be really interested in a "Kids and Pets" thread and think that it'd be a great addition to PI. We're going to start trying for a baby in a couple of months and have 3 cats. Reading about other people's experiences and having all of the information from the last two pages in one easy to find place would be awesome.

I hate to ask someone to start a thread, but I hear a lot about people that think they have to give up their pets because they're having a baby.

I think it's a great idea, but I know I personally wouldn't have much time for it. If someone wanted to start a thread, feel free to use anything I've said. I'd definitely also chime in with the thread itself, but I just don't think I'd ever get around to actually making a post about it.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'll be happy to contribute a section for older/gentler kids because that's not really the same as dealing with toddlers and babies. They can handle a little more on their own, like I wouldn't trust a toddler with holding a guinea pig but my roommate's 9 year old kid likes to hold them in place for me while I clip their nails. It really depends on the kid, their age, their personality, and their individual sense of responsibility so it's hard to give out one size fits all advice.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I have a lot of experience with pets and visiting children, which is a somewhat separate type of challenge. I'd happily contribute what I know, though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen is the giant dog ambassador to small children everywhere, sitting and lifting his head in the most far-staring benevolent manner ever as he offers a paw for them to kiss. 1st knuckle, right paw. All hail glorious dogleader.

I wouldn't mind helping out with writing managing both, or just managing animals and kids in general because that is literally what I do a lot both publicly and privately since almost everyone I know has kids and because zoo :negative: .

E: By the way, it's elephant fest today. Save me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I wasn't fast enough with my camera, but Joker and Leela were playing through the bars of the rat cage :3:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater loves toddlers. He loves to knock them over and make them cry.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Moses is pretty nice to kids. Sometimes he accidentally beats them with his tail but he's sorry when he does. Frankie likes kids too but I could see him snapping at one if they wouldn't leave him alone and were pulling his ears or whatever. It wouldn't do any damage though if he did, he doesn't so much have "teeth" as "weird little pegs awkwardly shoved into his freakish alien mouth."

They both will do just fine if/when kids happen. It's just Mean Dog Griff that would be a massive "no."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I moved Sadie today, and she was not happy about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3BM9ullFc

But she is doing amazingly well in the new place. She only hid for about 10 minutes and then came out for some treats, then 20 minutes in she was alternating between coming and happy-tail rubbing against me for brushing and slowly exploring the rest of the house. Considering it is nearly double the size of the last place she has a great deal of area to fur.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Tama once made a child cry, just by hardstaring him.

His mom and my mom heard him crying, and when asked why, it was because "The Red Pants cat is scaring me!"

Flaccid Trip fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 16, 2013

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

If a dog can't figure out how to fetch, are they still a dog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAy914-DQW0

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella's remarkably patient with kids. We were out for a walk the other day and this six year old came running up to us; the mom was just a few steps behind. Once I assured them she was friendly, the little girl wouldn't stop petting Bella. She was talking to her, and about her, making up little Bella fanfiction and asking all kinds of questions :3: We were there for about ten minutes when I finally said "Okay, we should get going."

Well doesn't this girl put her arms across Bella's back and go "Nooooooooo!"

We stayed a few more minutes after that :)

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Kiri koli posted:

If a dog can't figure out how to fetch, are they still a dog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAy914-DQW0

I could watch Psyche all day :3:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Random (kind of gruesome) wild animal nonsense:

Yesterday I watched a group of grackles catch, kill, and partly eat a fledgeling sparrow. I know corvids go after nestlings a lot but I'd never really seen it so up close. I was on my balcony reading, and watched the grackles pin down something fluttering while getting divebombed by two sparrows. The sparrows gave up pretty soon and one grackle stayed behind to eat, then left after a while. I went down to see what they'd left behind and it turns out they only ate the head.

Anyway, here's a linked photo of a headless baby bird, they did a very clean job.

http://i.imgur.com/khNJIRn.jpg

I don't really get why they'd only take the head off, that seems like the least good part to eat.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Wow thats pretty gruesome. Tasty brains and eyes though?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fat Dio posted:

I don't really get why they'd only take the head off, that seems like the least good part to eat.

Because grackles are rear end in a top hat sky-vermin. Oddly enough I'm finding a bunch of other people online saying that grackles have attacked sparrows, and only sparrows. I have a feeder and I need to tweak the weight sensitivity on it to exclude grackles when they inevitably find it. Hopefully I get something other than just sparrows and finches.

Sadie seems to have decided that the house is acceptable and has even had some zoomies. She still follows me from room to room though.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I recently got Indy a crinkley tunnel, which she absolutely loves:

Apparently she's picked up some hiding skills from Sadie.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Robo Kitty posted:

I recently got Indy a crinkley tunnel, which she absolutely loves:

Apparently she's picked up some hiding skills from Sadie.

Awwww.

I don't know why fail hiding is so funny to me but it just cracks me up.

Whar kitty? Whar?!

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I talked to Eva's breeder last night. He wants to breed her in November since he'll have a really nice male staying with him from California. I don't really know how I feel about it. Excited but also really nervous. He has offered to do everything from taking Eva out hunting to prove her to doing the breeding and raising the puppies, finding them homes and paying to feed her and vaccinate the puppies while she's there.

I would just get her out there and pay the stud fee but I'd be without her for several months. I need a puppy like I need a hole in the head but I don't think I could resist keeping one for myself. This is the boy he'd be using. He's Eva's half brother. They have the same dad.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

SuperTwo posted:

He has offered to do everything from taking Eva out hunting to prove her to doing the breeding and raising the puppies, finding them homes and paying to feed her and vaccinate the puppies while she's there.

I would just get her out there and pay the stud fee but I'd be without her for several months.
Would you be recognized as the breeder of the litter, then? I find it odd that Eva's breeder wants to breed her and would do all the work, but you would need to pay the stud fee. Is she placed under a breeding agreement of any kind or are you unconditionally her owner? Who would pocket the money from selling the puppies? I realize there are different ways of doing things, but over here if you own the bitch and choose to lease her for breeding, the breeder pays all the expenses AND pays you for using your dog (or often gives you first pick of the litter and you get the puppy for free).

If you like the dog and it seems like a well thought out litter and the pups would be easy to place with responsible people, I would consider going for it if I were you. Make sure to work out all the terms with the breeder well in advance and do it on paper (who is responsible for what, who pays for insurance, who pays veterinary fees etc.) Speaking from experience, these things get very complicated very fast if things go downhill for any reason.

Edit

SuperTwo posted:

This is the boy he'd be using. He's Eva's half brother. They have the same dad.
How did I miss this? That would be an unacceptable level of inbreeding in my book. Unacceptable by FAR.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

edit:^^^Haha, never delve into pit bull pedigrees in general then. Everyone is everyone's mom/dad/brother/sister/grandpa all at the same time.

Might hit you up for an Eva puppy if you go through with it, super. (also note: pet island will not agree with anything the breeder does ever, it's prob best not to even try here)

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 16, 2013

• Locked thread