Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

Daily Lives of High School Boys pronto unless you've seen it.

Not watched, thanks for the reccomendation, will watch pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Le Chevalier D'Eon. It's the French revolutionary war, with alchemical zombies.
Follow this recommendation. Le Chevalier D'Eon is an incredible anime and more people should watch it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chas McGill posted:

Follow this recommendation. Le Chevalier D'Eon is an incredible anime and more people should watch it.

Including me! I started watching it and stalled out about four episodes in (for reasons unrelated to the show), which is why I don't recommend it more often. :downs:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've watched all of your recommendations except Tsuritama and Le Chevalier.

What kind of shows are they and what are they about?

e:And Angel Beats, which someone just mentioned. I've heard the name but I don't know much about it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So, how do I watch Daily Lives of High School Boys? Has it been licensed anywhere? The old thread about it had links to I guess torrents but I've never messed around with that before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: ^^^ I recommend Usenet myself.

ViggyNash posted:

e:And Angel Beats, which someone just mentioned. I've heard the name but I don't know much about it.
Tsuritama is about fishing! And aliens or something. It's mostly just super uplifting and feel-good. You will find yourself compelled to watch the OP and dance along to it every episode. I strongly recommend it.

Angel Beats is a comedy/drama by Key directed by Seiji Kishi. It's about a group in the afterlife banding together to "fight against god". Like many Key works it is ostensibly a tear jerker. Angel Beats in particular is sort of a weird beast because it was clearly meant to be at least two cours (24 episodes), but was cut in half. So it feels super rushed and has pretty bad pacing issues. It's heavily flawed overall, but the good there (mostly the direction and comedy) are worth experiencing.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 15, 2013

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Sit down with some popcorn and watch some fist of the north star; it's about a dude that punches dudes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's actually exactly what I was doing while waiting for a reply.

Minus the popcorn.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

So, how do I watch Daily Lives of High School Boys? Has it been licensed anywhere? The old thread about it had links to I guess torrents but I've never messed around with that before.

It's not as daunting as it looks. I'm not gonna go super into the detail here, but just check out this this search on nyaa.eu. The ones that are blue and just labeled with a number are the episodes proper!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Or you could google "Daily Lives of High School Boys episode 1" and get a bunch of streaming links. That's how I usually do it. Obviously, the video quality is lacking.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man, I didn't realise the US release for Daily Lives wasn't until August, that seems like forever away. I also completely missed the news that there's a live-action adaptation coming out in October.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There's a live action adaptation? That's random.

e: Maybe it's because I'm watching this after Nichijou and Nichibros, but Azumanga Daioh isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. It's silly in much the same way as those shows, but it bot boring pretty fast somehow.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Angel Beats is a comedy/drama by Key directed by Seiji Kishi. It's about a group in the afterlife banding together to "fight against god". Like many Key works it is ostensibly a tear jerker. Angel Beats in particular is sort of a weird beast because it was clearly meant to be at least two cours (24 episodes), but was cut in half. So it feels super rushed and has pretty bad pacing issues. It's heavily flawed overall, but the good there (mostly the direction and comedy) are worth experiencing.

I can understand the pacing issues, and I agree that it definitely was a story that required two cours, but I would argue that the drama was very well done in Angel Beats!, it was well paced and I never found myself going "Well, thats a bit much" to any of it, which is generally my issue with drama animes.

Anyway, not the right thread for it, but I definitely reccomend Angel Beats, its funny and serious in equal measures, and its definitely one of the more interesting I've watched.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Maybe it's because I'm watching this after Nichijou and Nichibros, but Azumanga Daioh isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. It's silly in much the same way as those shows, but it bot boring pretty fast somehow.

I thought the same thing at first, but it really really grows on you.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The first episode didn't seem like a great introduction, but the second episode is quite entertaining. I'll probably keep going.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the first summer vacation episode was where I really started liking the show. Osaka's ghost story loving killed me and it went up from there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

The first episode didn't seem like a great introduction, but the second episode is quite entertaining. I'll probably keep going.

Too late, you're addicted now. You don't realise it, but you're caught in its fiendish web. And yes, the first episode isn't as good as the rest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Azumanga is great, but Nichijou's animation would be a tough act to follow for anything in the same genre. It does so much for the physical humor and glossing over the occasional gag that doesn't work in English (or just doesn't work period.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Did the same people that did the ep of Azumanga Daioh do the ed or op for Humanity Has Declined? I can't help but think of that every time I hear it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Did the same people that did the ep of Azumanga Daioh do the ed or op for Humanity Has Declined? I can't help but think of that every time I hear it.

Had a look out of curiosity and.... turns out you're not far off the mark. Different band, but the same vocalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masumi_It%C5%8D

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Were you seriously basing your judgment entirely on the first episode?

There's a reason we have something called the "three episode test".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

The second episode gave me one of my favourite gifs from the show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Like I said, episode 2 was great.

I think at the end of the day what puts me off about the show is that it feels dated. It doesn't have as much of the charm that Nichijou and Daily Lives did.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it's better if you think of it as a trailblazer for those sorts of shows. I don't think it was the first show of its type, but it definitely made that sort of show popular.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

I think at the end of the day what puts me off about the show is that it feels dated. It doesn't have as much of the charm that Nichijou and Daily Lives did.

The datedness is kind of part of its charm. I found Nichijou and Daily Lives actually flat in comparison. They might look amazing overall, but the direction and individual character work is just so charming in Azumanga!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The thing with Azumanga's humor isn't really the out-datedness (though of course it is somewhat), but it's more of a different tone and pace. I generally found Azumanga amusing/funny, and the hysterical parts were less frequent, while Nichijo/bros (especially bros) had more hysterical parts, and less frequently segments which were borderline amusing or trying too hard. I think the transition is easier going from Azumanga-style humor to Nichijo/bros, than vice-versa.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Chihayafuru. The best comidrama out there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Who are you responding to?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn't really matter, you can always recommend Chihayafuru.

ViggyNash posted:

Like I said, episode 2 was great.

I know what you mean about dated, the animation isn't very good, but lack of charm? The music is fantastic, too, and quite often carries the gags.

Edit for an actual recommendation: Anyone have an opinion on Ghost Hunt?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 15, 2013

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone recommend me a random thing? I'm not sure what I want to watch right now since I've watched most of the shows I've been interested in.

Fantastic Children is one of the most underrated series imo, I really love it and never see anyone mention it. Fantasy/sci-fi/mystery show with a great plot that comes together brilliantly

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, man. I don't think I've ever been more truly moved by anything else in my life. Angel Beats has just brought me to tears, and I can count the number of times that's happened on one hand.

It isn't a perfect show, I know, but it had some of the most special and moving moments I've seen thus far. Moments and segments such as the rocket chairs sabotage and slowing down the clones with suicide for comedy moments, and Yui's departure and the graduation for drama. It could have used several more episodes to flesh out the last few episodes of the show because they definitely felt like they were missing something, but in the end it really was a special experience.

However, I didn't really understand that short ending clip after the initial credits, where a guy that looks like Otonoshi sees a girl that I think is supposed to look like Kanade and reaches out to tap her shoulder. I don't think I fully got what that was supposed to be.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I assumed the intention was to imply that they were reincarnated and found each other again. If you liked that, you should probably watch Clannad, since it was written by the same folks and actually has the episode count necessary to finish the story.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's a real shame Angel Beats didn't get the 50 or so episodes it was originally going to get.

Although there's always the VN that Key said they wanted to make, whenever they get around to it. :sigh:

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's a real shame Angel Beats didn't get the 50 or so episodes it was originally going to get.

Although there's always the VN that Key said they wanted to make, whenever they get around to it. :sigh:

They said this summer is when they would reveal the status of the VN project. If I had to guess it would be the next thing they're working now that Rewrite is completely finished. But that's just optimism.

On topic, is there any good comedy dubs out there besides Cromatie, Panty&Stocking and Ghost Stories?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Golden Boy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

I assumed the intention was to imply that they were reincarnated and found each other again. If you liked that, you should probably watch Clannad, since it was written by the same folks and actually has the episode count necessary to finish the story.

Does it have the same kind of pervading surrealism and unique setting as Angel Beats?

e: As far as them being reincarnated, I think it adds an idealistic kind of touching continuity to their brief relationship. Although, I guess it is less idealistic than plausible considering the suggestion that they are in fact reincarnated when they leave that world.

I think what I would have wanted for the ending was pretty much what Otonoshi wanted. I really like the idea of Otonoshi and Kanade serving as guiding spirits to the other that find their way there, essentially becoming angelic figures to help the lost souls find their peace. It kind of reminds me of the end of Psycho-Pass (Psycho-Pass spoilers)
where Akane the trainee becomes Akane the veteran who becomes the supervising officer to another trainee who is much like what she herself once was.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 15, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Naw, its a fairly normal high-school setting. There's some supernatural things that happen, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

There is an alternate ending to Angel Beats too, it shows Otonashi remaining in that world, guiding people to pass on and waiting in the hopes of Kanade appearing there again, much like she waited there for him.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 15, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think the nature of the setting was a major factor in what made the show click for me so the same archetypes in a normal setting might not do it for me. I'll think about it.

e:

Blhue posted:

There is an alternate ending to Angel Beats too, it shows Otonashi remaining in that world, guiding people to pass on and waiting in the hopes of Kanade appearing there again, much like she waited there for him.

There is? Was this an ova or something else? I didn't see anything like that at the end of the last episode.

e2: I found it eventually, the 2 minute alternate epilogue. They could have done more with it, but I liked that they had it in there.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 15, 2013

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

ViggyNash posted:

Does it have the same kind of pervading surrealism and unique setting as Angel Beats?

The setting is not unique at all--it's just a city in modern Japan (though unless I'm misremembering, not too modern as it lacks computers and cell phones). The pervading surrealism is actually one of two things the writer/company he writes for is known for. The other thing they're known for is the kind of drama you saw in Angel Beats.

So while Clannad does have the same kind of surrealism and supernatural things going on, it's not at all the primary factor in the show and isn't nearly as prominent. On the drama side, Clannad has it in spades.

If you watch it (and since I loving love Clannad, I'm going to say you should), make sure to watch both the series Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~, the latter being the second season and significantly better than the first.

As an aside, Clannad was originally a visual novel developed by the company Key, and they've also produced Kanon, Air, Planetarian, Little Busters!, and most recently, Rewrite. The main writer for this company was the writer for Angel Beats--it turns out he can't really write anything else but he does what he does pretty drat well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Golden Boy.
I actually like Golden Boy :(. It's like a hormonal Master Keaton.

• Locked thread