Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's Kanye for you :v:

(Well actually that's just one part of why I love Kanye, but yeah, when he does hacky lines, he does them well.)

Those are the lines that kept him from getting a deal 10 years ago. And the lines that have plagued him throughout an entire career where even though he's arguably the most famous rapper in the world, he's only OK at it while being an amazing producer. Flow, lyrics, voice have always been his weak point.

Smoking Crow posted:

The one thing this reminds me of is an Odd Future album. This sounds like a hi-fi Tyler, the Creator produced album. I would kill for a Left Brain Remix of all of this.

I don't hear that all. To me, it just sounds like someone in France introduced Kanye to Saul Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzK0AFpmcI

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Album sounds better with

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/181237_501571336583531_55332595_n.jpg picture was kinda big so I'll leave it a url, weed strain "Jesus".

Kanye's lyrics are his weak point but I mean who else mainstream is really even competing with him lyrically? Some lines are corny but I like the lyrics a lot more than most of dark fantasy.

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo this album is fantastic. Loving everything in it so far (not really understanding the hate I'm On It is getting) but Bound 2 is so, so, so loving good. UH HUH HONEY

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Blood on the Leaves and New Slaves are my favorites but the entire album is great. This album is going to consume my summer.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why must Kanye be so angry? It's all screaming and anger from him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Smoking Crow posted:

Why must Kanye be so angry? It's all screaming and anger from him.

Would you rather him be positive and upbeat?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I just don't like all the religious blasphemy personally.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Thoogsby posted:

Perhaps an album titled Yeezus isn't for you then...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Would you rather him be positive and upbeat?

I think it'd be cool if he actually tried to do happy.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
This is an excellent album, through and through. It's classic Kanye, but dark (Death Grips, anyone?). The sheer audacity to title an album "Yeezus", and sing "I am a God" is something to be appreciated and mourned. I sometimes wish I could not give a gently caress as much as Kayne doesn't. Or should we call him Yeezus now?

I also like how the album begins with the arrogant proclamations aforementioned, but seems to contrast it with more human problems in the end by rapping about bitches. Kayne may have gone off the deep end a little bit, but he is still Kanye. The sampling and production is the best part. Lyrics are a little cheesy at times, but Kanye never really was good at lyrics. Not that it matters, everything else somehow makes it work. Loving the gently caress out of this album.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

The one thing this reminds me of is an Odd Future album. This sounds like a hi-fi Tyler, the Creator produced album. I would kill for a Left Brain Remix of all of this.

Except it's not terrible and is instead a really good album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehoodie posted:

but Kanye never really was good at lyrics.

Ahem.

Kanye West posted:

Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low

:colbert:

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

I really wish people would stop relating this album to Death Grips like Death Grips is the first hip hop artist to have dark beats. He doesn't sound much like them on this album

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
I'm In It is the best song on the album. Assassin and Bon Iver? Yeezus lord. Bound 2 is dope too because it's like classic Kanye mixed with 90's R&B and tossed with a grimy bassline.

Overall, this is not entirely what I was expecting, but it's unique enough that I see it getting a lot of replay.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
New Slaves, Hold My Liquor, and I'm In It are my favorites about halfway through first listen. All are solid, though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Slaves is as good as I hoped it would be

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This album. You guys...this loving album :stare:

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
I actually think the weakest track is On Sight if I really had to pick one, but even that song knocks hard. I couldn't blame anyone for not falling in love with this, but it's hard to not at least admire the ambition here.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The scream on "I'm In It" makes me laugh every time.

Thirdeye
May 2, 2006

Agaetis byrjun
"Blood on the Leaves" gets better with every listen.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

Not An Irish Monk posted:

I actually think the weakest track is On Sight if I really had to pick one, but even that song knocks hard. I couldn't blame anyone for not falling in love with this, but it's hard to not at least admire the ambition here.

On Sight goes hard as gently caress, I'm already adding it and New Slaves to my workout playlist.

After 4 - 5 listens, I think New Slaves, Black Skinhead, On Sight, I'm in it and Blood on the Leaves are my favourite.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
This is basically an expressionist rap record and it's loving awesome.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Aaaahhhh holy gently caress this loving album is so good

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

After 4 listens through... I dont like it :( the production/sampling is just too bassy and grating. I dont find it "fun" to listen to. Even though MBDTF was dark, it was still a fun record.

When I inevitably listen to it at 2am at a nightclub/house party, i'm sure i'll think its killer, but right now at home, I don't.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Windmill Hut posted:

After 4 listens through... I dont like it :( the production/sampling is just too bassy and grating. I dont find it "fun" to listen to. Even though MBDTF was dark, it was still a fun record.

When I inevitably listen to it at 2am at a nightclub/house party, i'm sure i'll think its killer, but right now at home, I don't.

Just so you're not alone in getting ganged up on - I agree with you. I really wanted to like Black Skinhead and New Slaves because of the SNL promo, but they were so over-produced it hurts. Bound 2 and Blood on the Leaves were ok, but for the most part I really didn't like the album as a whole. It was tremendously overhyped for what we got.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Maybe I missed other people saying it in the initial reactions, but holy god I love the intro to the album. Kinda :goonsay:-y, but it really reminds me of the intro to Judas Priest's Painkiller. It's basically a synthy fan fare punching you in the gut(though me accidentally having my speakers on max volume when I turned the album on probably contributed a bit to that feeling) and saying "Sit down, shut up and listen, your king Kanye is about to enter the room". The rest of the album is really good too, but that had

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

On Sight was very much like a stripped-down version of Smack My Bitch Up by way of Bangalter's work on the Irreversible OST and a great way to open this album.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

This album is absolutely blowing me away in the way I wanted, and expected Random Access Memories to (not that I didn't like it!)

Half way through and it's amazing...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

You know, I can't stand Daft Punk at all but all the tracks produced by them on this album are loving incredible. Probably because they don't sound anything like Daft Punk, I guess?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

You know, I can't stand Daft Punk at all but all the tracks produced by them on this album are loving incredible. Probably because they don't sound anything like Daft Punk, I guess?

I get Homework vibes on these tracks, so I dunno if i agree. They're masters at production. I am a God is loving ridiculously good. I havent listened to the whole album yet, but goddamn what I've heard so far :drat:

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
Did anyone make it to a projection viewing last night? I went to one in Milwaukee but the cops shut it down. There was supposed to be 4 different locations in the city, but after the first projection the cops said they would tow the truck if they did any more. I am curious to see what others experiences were and how big crowds got for other cities.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I've listened to this album four times through already and it's the best drat thing I've heard in a while. It's the Evil Spock version of 808's and I love it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I take it back. Cheesy lyrics aside, I'm In It is sick.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah same here, weird nerd dude.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

I don't like 808, but I love this one. Priase Yeezus!

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
Once those horns came in on Blood on the Leaves I believe my life completely changed.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm loving this album precisely because I can't make any loving sense of it. Also, King L's verse on Send It Up might be my favorite segment of the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

somnambulist posted:

I get Homework vibes on these tracks, so I dunno if i agree. They're masters at production. I am a God is loving ridiculously good. I havent listened to the whole album yet, but goddamn what I've heard so far :drat:

Yeah it definitely has hints of Homework and Human After All on it.

Listening to this album again, and god drat, that sample of "He'll Give Us What We Really Need" in On Sight is so perfect :fap:

e: The guitars in Hold My Liquor almost make it sound like a Ratatat track :v:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 15, 2013

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I for one liked 808s significantly more than Yeezus. A little surprised by the overall positive reception it seems to be initially getting, I thought for the sure the album would at least be very divisive. I guess house-style music just isn't for me, I really do miss College Dropout Kanye, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

So It Goes posted:

I for one liked 808s significantly more than Yeezus. A little surprised by the overall positive reception it seems to be initially getting, I thought for the sure the album would at least be very divisive. I guess house-style music just isn't for me, I really do miss College Dropout Kanye, oh well.

I'd say it's been really divisive. While I really love the album, pretty much everyone I know (including some people who like extreme stuff like Death Grips) don't know what to make of it.

• Locked thread