Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So here's an idea I had, since Kanaya's on Jade's planet, is technically dead, and also a space hero, would she go God Tier if she took a nap on Jade's quest bed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

sitchelin posted:

So here's an idea I had, since Kanaya's on Jade's planet, is technically dead, and also a space hero, would she go God Tier if she took a nap on Jade's quest bed?

No. Her dream self is dead so she can't God tier the normal way. If there's an appropriate bed for her in the alpha session's Prospit then perhaps, but not otherwise. We don't know what happens if you use another session's quest bed.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Pyradox posted:

No. Her dream self is dead so she can't God tier the normal way. If there's an appropriate bed for her in the alpha session's Prospit then perhaps, but not otherwise. We don't know what happens if you use another session's quest bed.

I might be spacing out on it, but have we seen someone get a tiger with a destroyed dreamself?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RickoniX posted:

I might be spacing out on it, but have we seen someone get a tiger with a destroyed dreamself?
That would be Jake.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Nate RFB posted:

That would be Jake.

His dreamself was dead but whole at the time of his god-tiering, wasn't it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Technically, I suppose. For all we know Jack blasting apart most of Prospit could've destroyed it anyway though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Quest Beds require you to have a living (or resurrected) Dreamself, which we assume the trolls don't have.

Quest Slabs only seem to require that you die on then with your "last life", but this is a moot point, since:

A) The quest slabs in the alpha session (void, heart, life, hope) don't match up with the remaining alive non-godtier trolls (blood, mind, space, doom)
B) Those all got destroyed anyway.

The only way Karkat and company are going godtier is with a narrative asspull, like a new game mechanic, or some very long-term oceans eleven -style sneakiness. I do find it interesting, though, that all the remaining alive, non-godtier trolls (Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Sollux, Gamzee) are all Prospit dreamers. That might mean something.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Alphas were using Quest Crypts, which don't require you to have both selves alive. Aradia had the same thing happen, and its also how Rose and Dave God Tiered.

e: f;b

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait, when did we learn that normal quest beds require a dreamself to be alive?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I can't recall the exact point, but some time in act five-two. We see from John and Vriska's godtiering that you wake up in the dreamself body. Vriska says that it's "too late" for the others to godtier now that Jack killed their dreamselves (she didn't know about Quest Slabs, but those also got destroyed).

Slightly related, Hussie once answered in a q/a that if Sollux had died in his quest bed with both dreamselves alive, both would have godtiered.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 15, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Slightly related, Hussie once answered in a q/a that if Sollux had died in his quest bed with both dreamselves alive, both would have godtiered.

And then fought to the death.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Bobulus posted:

Quest Beds require you to have a living (or resurrected) Dreamself, which we assume the trolls don't have.

Quest Slabs only seem to require that you die on then with your "last life", but this is a moot point, since:

A) The quest slabs in the alpha session (void, heart, life, hope) don't match up with the remaining alive non-godtier trolls (blood, mind, space, doom)
B) Those all got destroyed anyway.

The only way Karkat and company are going godtier is with a narrative asspull, like a new game mechanic, or some very long-term oceans eleven -style sneakiness. I do find it interesting, though, that all the remaining alive, non-godtier trolls (Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Sollux, Gamzee) are all Prospit dreamers. That might mean something.

Well, there is that (dumb, stupid, dumb) fantheory of Mituna's 'great, mysterious, sacrifice' as propelling the dancestor Prospit into the furthest ring so that it can (somehow???) show up in the B2 session. It would conveniently have quest slabs matching the aspects of the living trolls.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

Well, there is that (dumb, stupid, dumb) fantheory of Mituna's 'great, mysterious, sacrifice' as propelling the dancestor Prospit into the furthest ring so that it can (somehow???) show up in the B2 session. It would conveniently have quest slabs matching the aspects of the living trolls.

Yeah, I've heard of it. But I agree it would be rather far-fetched. Hell, if we're going to go that far, we could go farther and speculate that Mituna did the double-godtier thing, and one stayed behind to get brain damage and the other went with Beforus-Prospit as part of some grand master plan. But then we're just descending into the realm of silliness.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

It might be interesting if the story is forced to finish without John, now. Like, Caliborn is destroying the very fabric of the narrative (removing the protagonist, splitting up the group, gumming up any attempt at progress) and our heroes have to win with what they've got left.
Which would be the note was specifically written to get Caliborn to do exactly what he shouldn't have done, if he wanted to win.

Bobulus posted:

The only way Karkat and company are going godtier is with a narrative asspull, like a new game mechanic, or some very long-term oceans eleven -style sneakiness.
New game mechanic? Something like 'new gameplay features' of the new cartridge?

Hell, the spacetime glitches caused by the candycorn/stardust could change things as well.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sadly the remaining trolls can't go God Tier since that would mean Karkat gets to fly, and Paradox Space can't have that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Considering how much Karkat has mellowed out in the last few years, if blood powers are indeed about relationships/leadership/command, I imagine he might actually do the Bloody Thing sometime soon. The only reason I could see him going godtier before the story ends is if Andrew can't resist showing explicitly how blood powers work.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tunicate posted:

Well, specifically the way it works is that your normal self dies on it then your dream self goes god tier. If you only have one or the other, that's impossible.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bobulus posted:

The only reason I could see him going godtier before the story ends is if Andrew can't resist showing explicitly how blood powers work.

We've basically got as much explanation for Blood as any power aside from Breath, Light, and Time, which have all been made pretty explicit by this point. Hell, even Space is unclear because Jade herself doesn't know where her powers end and where Bec's powers begin.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The fun/frustrating thing about our knowledge of game mechanics is that the flow of knowledge goes

Doc Scratch -> Rose -> Rose's FAQ -> Kanaya -> Rose -> Rose's book -> Calliope -> Alpha kids

so there's wiggle room where there could be whole systems that no one bothered to learn about, or half-truths that DS told that hide important features. No one knew about Quest Slabs until it happened to Dave and Rose because Aradia didn't bother to mention it to anyone, for example.

WhiffleballDude posted:

We've basically got as much explanation for Blood as any power aside from Breath, Light, and Time, which have all been made pretty explicit by this point. Hell, even Space is unclear because Jade herself doesn't know where her powers end and where Bec's powers begin.

I feel like Karkat is in a position where he feels less useful than others in combat situations. He can't shout the humans around the way he did his troll team back in the day. And he no longer has his version of Jack as an ace in the hole. (Well, he does, he just doesn't know it yet). So I could see him getting some blood-based upgrade to highlight how much he's grown as a person in the last three years.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 15, 2013

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hey, there's that folder again. Maybe we'll get to find out what's in it eventually.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Roxy doesn't seem particularly nervous about the current situation.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

While I read these glitchy updates, I've got the Squiddles album queued up. Really adds to the fun.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Roxy is probably one of those people that babbles when she is nervous. Like Dave.

edit: For everyone worried about John, he's right there! :downs:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 16, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Huh. I was wondering what that white circle thing meant. Well that sure is a mystery that wasn't even a mystery solved! :v:

Jane wasn't carrying a folder to Jake like how Jade was to Roxy, so I wonder if Condesce's plans for him are different than her plans for Roxy. If they both had the same plans then it would make sense to give them both the folder.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I think that once a certain amount of crazy poo poo happens, you decide to just fuckin' roll with it. I think this is where Roxy is in her life right now.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I want to hear all about these 'person things'. Do go on, Jade. :allears:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I'm really liking how the corruption in the past few pages really does resemble Genesis-esque cartridge errors instead of the PSX-style goofing we saw back when the disc got scratched. The only problem is I'm dying trying to figure out how he creates that effect, and I can't think of any easy way to make it look so authentic short of borking an emulator and applying hue/saturation to whatever comes out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

You know, I did seem to remember something about Roxy being basically the best 100% of the time + just not giving a gently caress. Good to see my memory hadn't failed me.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Hey, there's that folder again. Maybe we'll get to find out what's in it eventually.

A poo poo ton of glitter.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ariong posted:

A poo poo ton of glitter.

Glitter and dance clowns. Worst fuckin' secret jam ever.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I bet next we zoom back out and get to choose between Dirk, Bec and PM, Spades Slick, and Jack English. Or some subset of the four. Er, five.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Castomira posted:

I'm really liking how the corruption in the past few pages really does resemble Genesis-esque cartridge errors instead of the PSX-style goofing we saw back when the disc got scratched. The only problem is I'm dying trying to figure out how he creates that effect, and I can't think of any easy way to make it look so authentic short of borking an emulator and applying hue/saturation to whatever comes out.

Makes me think of some of the more outlandish gameboy / NES era glitches, because back then they had no error checking on their games.

http://www.viddler.com/v/1512ff92

(This might be a good time to recommend Let's Break Pokemon Blue to anyone who hasn't read it yet.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Sadly the remaining trolls can't go God Tier since that would mean Karkat gets to fly, and Paradox Space can't have that.
Alternatively, it would be hilarious for him to hit god tier and discover that Blood is the only aspect that cannot fly.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Castomira posted:

Here's a whole boatload of 'em in one video. This guy did a whole series of them, this is Knuckles in Sonic 2.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So uh is this a cell window or what?

EDIT: how did I fuckin' miss Bobulus editing that into his post, sorry about that. :psyduck:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 16, 2013

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rorus Raz posted:

Alternatively, it would be hilarious for him to hit god tier and discover that Blood is the only aspect that cannot fly.

Well, it does seem to involve trust in others, among other things. You have to really trust someone before you allow them to fly you somewhere, I imagine.

Color Printer posted:

So uh is this a cell window or what?

Maybe. Or maybe it's something much more important.

Bobulus posted:

edit: For everyone worried about John, he's right there! :downs:

If it is John, this gives him the chance to gather intel on Condy's plans completely unnoticed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Jade kicked John into a fine blue mist :v:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Okay so we know where everyone except John is, right?

Rose and Terezi: LOLAR
Dave and the Mayor: LOHAC
Karkat and Kanaya: LOFAF
Jade, Jane, Jake, and Roxy: Derse
Gamzee: makeout meteor
Dirk and three different Jack Noirs: Outside of the session
John: ???

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Okay so we know where everyone except John is, right?

Rose and Terezi: LOLAR
Dave and the Mayor: LOHAC
Karkat and Kanaya: LOFAF
Jade, Jane, Jake, and Roxy: Derse
Gamzee: makeout meteor
Dirk and three different Jack Noirs: Outside of the session
John: ???

Actually, Gamzee must have gotten off of make out meteor at some point in order to travel back in time and gently caress with the sprites.

Also I just realized something. How the hell did Jade get back from earth?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ariong posted:

Actually, Gamzee must have gotten off of make out meteor at some point in order to travel back in time and gently caress with the sprites.

Also I just realized something. How the hell did Jade get back from earth?

It hasn't been shown but simplest path would be:

Ride Makeout Meteor to B2 Earth --> Use space powers to pull the frog temple from the ocean --> Shrink B2 Earth to pocketmonster size because reasons --> Use the frog temple transporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ariong posted:

We have no idea when he did the sprite stuff since TIME TRAVEL and all that. He could have grabbed Aradia's music box during the three year trip, messed with the kids, and then came back with nobody noticing. Then he rode the meteor with Jade to Earth where he prepared for Caliborn and Calliope to arrive.