Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

xie posted:

The other things I like about the area: Charlesgate is called the crown jewel of the Emerald Necklace,

I was excited about the whole "Emerald Necklace" thing before, until I realized we're searching for a peridot. Also, about the Xenophon/Thucydides part, I think it's possible that this is just a reference to Boston itself and not the BPL. Considering how vague the illustration is, perhaps Preiss threw it in to help us match the two together. Walpole quote that was posted earlier: "The next Augustan age will dawn on the other side of the Atlantic. There will, perhaps, be a Thucydides at Boston, a Xenophon at New York..." Augustan -> August -> peridot's month. Sort of a way of saying "Here's the verse to go with the peridot image, and it's in Boston." The names on the BPL might just be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Possibly, but that goes against the solved verses, which unlike the picture probably vary less in that a throwaway line to the right city seems out of place. The verses are more or less walking directions, and giving you the correct starting spot is pretty important.

I can't think of anything specific about those names in the US, and Google pulls up nothing specific to St. Louis. I looked over a huge list of St. Louis landmarks and nothing struck me as notable from the image itself. There is a water tower that looks far too vague for my liking, but nothing nearby matches any imagery at all.

While there are obscure literary references, I can't imagine how someone would have been expected to know of the Xenophon/Thucydides quote about Boston/NY, and that still doesn't give you any kind of starting location to move from. This is all working back from a location we want to fit and shoehorning it in that way - the puzzle should be solvable forwards too.

I don't think the emerald part is important (nor at the end of the day do I actually think anything is buried at CGate, but here we are) so much as the crown jewel part, but eh.

xie fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 15, 2013

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Nesetril posted:

It's not a hawk, it's a Mississippi Kite! Ictinia mississippiensis, please.

If newreply.php?action= is
North of your mouse pointer
Kiss two inches
On the hole behind my erection
All the letters
In the middle section
Are those
Who are just having fun with this dumb thing
Of absolutely no consequence
Face my stinkwhistle
Your nose to the hair
Feel alone
All the posts of basically chill people just talking
Are here to read
Fourteenth day
Twenty-third hour
Lit by LCD
In truth, just chill the gently caress out about literally everything

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
I don't remember burying the jewel inside your rear end, so pull your head out of it, please.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

I was excited about the whole "Emerald Necklace" thing before, until I realized we're searching for a peridot. Also, about the Xenophon/Thucydides part, I think it's possible that this is just a reference to Boston itself and not the BPL. Considering how vague the illustration is, perhaps Preiss threw it in to help us match the two together. Walpole quote that was posted earlier: "The next Augustan age will dawn on the other side of the Atlantic. There will, perhaps, be a Thucydides at Boston, a Xenophon at New York..." Augustan -> August -> peridot's month. Sort of a way of saying "Here's the verse to go with the peridot image, and it's in Boston." The names on the BPL might just be a coincidence.

Even though the names on the BPL sell it fo me personally, I like this line of thinking because, honestly, that's a pretty cryptic loving image. Given his connection to the area I've wondered if Preiss made it extra hard to show off a little bit, or if he possibly even messed up the jewels somehow like the aquamarine/sapphire thing. There could've been late-game changes to the manuscript, edits to the illustrator that were overlooked due to budgetary cnstraints at the eleventh hour, or anything else. It's not like this was a big-budget operation and the editor probably wouldn't have known all the facts necessary to 'proof' all the content. What if the Emerald was supposed to be for Boston? What if it was supposed to be an Irish or Nordic connection, instead of an Italian one? There are so many things that make this such a drat brainworm, I swear. I'ma just dig this dude up and yell at him.

Nesetril posted:

I don't remember burying the jewel inside your rear end, so pull your head out of it, please.
Are you training a baby iceburn to be released into the wild at a later date? That poo poo is admirable. All using a sock puppet that looks like an adult iceburn to fake-regurgitate pureed salmon into its little mouth with a hidden turkey baster in your sleeve. I honor your work, sir.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 15, 2013

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

HoboZero posted:

Are you training a baby iceburn to be released into the wild at a later date?

... on the other hand if you stick a ceramic casque up your rear end, in a week you'll have a diamond. :tipshat:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Nesetril posted:

... on the other hand if you stick a ceramic casque up your rear end, in a week you'll have a diamond. :tipshat:

Yes, those sure are words. Happy 7th.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

you're both drunk and need to sleep it off

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Plus I'm pretty sure the owner(s) of the land you dig at can legally claim to have ownership of anything you dig up if you don't have the proper permit to dig there. Meaning that if your name ends up in a newspaper for finding a cask, you could be sued by the landowner for theft of property, or otherwise be forced to give it over to someone else.

There will never be a legal battle over the ownership of a completely worthless, probably broken, and very ugly ceramic pot from 1982. This is not a thing that will happen. There is no reason for this to ever be a thing that happens.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

rookhunter posted:

There is evidence in Roanoake that leads the the spot where the bench is at. The shape of the trail is on the image, the wooden post/fence thing is also in the image. What it comes down to is how you interpret, "Under that which may be last touched or first seen standing." A bench meets that criteria.

For reference, the bench is located on the Thomas Hariot trail in Fort Raleigh. I made a dot for that, and where the gate is located in the Garden Gate theory. At this point I'm too busy to actively speculate, but I'll gladly poke around and dig at different spots people suggest if and when I can finally get down there. My birthday's in July so I might just try and use that as an excuse to crash at my sister's place on the island since she doesn't seem to care about this search. Stupid work and personal life getting in the way of treasure!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

justsomedude posted:

There will never be a legal battle over the ownership of a completely worthless, probably broken, and very ugly ceramic pot from 1982. This is not a thing that will happen. There is no reason for this to ever be a thing that happens.

But it will look great on my resumé! Employers love completely irrelevant crap like that!

Guuse
May 11, 2009
San Franscisco
Verse 5 variant

Zip posted:

I see a lot of stuff about verse 7 being the sf verse. How sure are you guys of this? I get the Twain reference for sf but im not sure thats the verse for it.

In the sf picture (top is definitely Alcatraz ) the Chinese dragon is leading up to those numbers on the left and right. Chinatown leads up to a really popular peer in SF. The numbers are 1' 2' 3 on the left and 1' 2' 2'. So the last two numbers are 3,2. Peer 32' which is directly across from Alcatraz and where you take tours from. The 5th verse sounds like it's talking about Alcatraz as well as the fact that just south of peer 32 is the Citadel.

I was playing around with Verse 5 at work today for fun and the Alcatraz thing really jumps out at me, too. I went back through the thread and to my surprise this was the first post I saw that proposed a Verse 5/Alcatraz connection. I haven't tried to match anything in the picture aside from knowing that the Gh is being viewed from behind towards Alcatraz and what you just said about the pelican. And the Alcatraz Rose I guess, but I only just Googled that.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0322442112490.html

:3:

Lane Two twenty two
You'll see an arc of lights

Lane Two:

Noting the difference in capitalization, I split things up and tried to find something that could be Lane 2.

This is from the early nineties and the piece I read says it formalized the existing unofficial boating lanes. Maybe the east-bound lane is Lane 2? I guess the way to find out would be to track down someone who was active in the bay boating community in the 80's and ask.

22:
The range of the Alcatraz lighthouse in nautical miles.

You'll see an arc of lights:
The lighthouse light circling around. The plural bothers me. Is an other object around that is an arc of light that would be visible from the water?

Weight and roots extended
Together saved the site

Double meaning here. First, Alcatraz Island is basically just a big chunk of rock that is more earthquake resistant than the loose soil of the surrounding area, isn't it? The big earthquake in 1906 that devastated San Fran didn't really do that much damage to Alcatraz. Could you say that the rock has roots deep in the earth?

quote:

The 1906 earthquake caused very little damage on Alcatraz. A number of chimneys suffered cracks, and a few piers that supported several buildings had to be repaired.
http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/rock/rock-019.htm

The second is how "roots extended" was involved in creating the Alcatraz that has survived to this day.

quote:

Perhaps the most dramatic example of demolition was that of the Citadel, building I, which Secretary of War Elihu Root authorized in 1908, when the decision had finally been made that Alcatraz would be the site of a permanent military prison.

So a Root could maybe be said to be the father of Alcatraz!

Of granite walls
Wind swept halls
Citadel in the night

It's the Dragonstone of America.
Al Capone is Joffrey's real father

Alcatraz Citadel is the name of the fort that used to occupy the site. I haven't been to San Fran since I was a kid, but it's really breezy, isn't it? The Wikipedia article says that granite was used in Alcatraz's construction.

A wingless bird ascended
Born of ancient dreams of flightr

That's a lot of words to say "Birdman of Alcatraz" but somehow I manage to gently caress it up before editing it in.

Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest
To the south
White stone closest
At twelve paces
From the west side

This is pretty messy and I'll deal with it in a bit.

Get permission :cop:
To dig out. (of prison)

So the messy bit:

If you pull up a Google Maps of the south end of Alcatraz island you can pick out a lonely tree next to what I think is a white rock. Here it is:

For a sense of proportion, I think those are three people waking to the east of it.

The thing is, I don't think that it's that easy. I mean, maybe this is babby's first gemstone because it's first of the riddles (the author thought the first few would fall prety quickly), but it's been shown earlier in the thread that the verses themselves can be really malleable. I can't recall who the poster was, but it was pointed out that the team that found one of the casks turned around and matched the same verse that they knew was invalid to a different city with no problem. if you look back on Montreal-chat we were pretty hyped about one verse with one starting location and now we're elsewhere with a different verse and I actually think that we're on the right track. The Q4T just proposed an other theory with a completely different verse that says we're totally wrong. we aren't

For the messy verse in question, maybe look at the Indian graffiti? From what I've read, Alcatraz was originally known as "White Rock Island" because of all the pelican poo poo. I think that Preiss had enough forethought to put a clue together that would last past the next rain or two. There was a big Native American occupation during the late sixties that left a TON of graffiti. What do you want to bet that something they wrote refers to the original name of the island? Or that there's a picture somewhere that looks like a tree or a white rock? Here's a really tortuous example of such a reading:

The rain cloud kind of looks like a white rock. Ya-Ta-Hey means "Greetings" in navajo or something. But from what we all know from the Lone Ranger a palm must be upraised for a proper hello!

Oh gently caress! Palms aren't indigenous to the Bay area! (Or maybe they are, I don't know)

Anyways, you (or someone from SF who think that this theory has merit) should probably head out to Alcatraz and look around things tying it to the image in the book. Heck, maybe even ask the tour guides about what they think of those lines? I won't be of any help since I caught myself trying to match the Cask 9 collar to Alcatraz paths in Google Earth.

Good luck!

SheepNameKiller posted:

you're both drunk and need to sleep it off

I wasn't when I started this post, but now I am.

e: added the Birdman lines, drunker

Guuse fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 15, 2013

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

justsomedude posted:

I dunno. Some people take this pretty seriously.

Count me out of any "Goon Meet"-type stuff unless somebody has a really good idea of where the cask is buried (as in, like good enough that we actually find it there) and I get to take some of the credit for finding and uncovering it.

Also I would like the option to take the cask and its contents myself (assuming that it is in good enough condition) so that I can try to sell them to my university and maybe have my name included in a story on the school webpage. I've been in undergrad for too drat long and I WANT SOMETHING TO SHOW FOR IT DAMMIT! :argh:
Lots of capital letters and even some bold font. That's serious.

Goon friend of mine asked me to pop in this thread with some comments on renting/building GPR. Rental shouldn't run you $1k a day as mentioned elsewhere in the thread. More like $1k for a week. Also the guy who is building his own: have fun, shield it, center freq. ~300-700 MHz,bandpass filter 100<x<1000. A ceramic block isn't going to look much different from a tree root, except it is a point target (like a rock, cobble, etc). Root will show up on adjacent lines.

I do wish the thread best of luck. Neat idea, revisiting a treasure hunt from the 80s with modern techniques (Google Street View, Maps, etc). If these are in public places, I think 75% of them have been destroyed by public works, but whatever. Happy to be wrong. Go find Goon Treasure.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

The clues are so extremely suggestive of the Fountain of Youth, and the neighboring land is all residential

Don't get me wrong, I'm only thinking, over the wall or over the road. Actually I like that photo Rookhunter posted...has anyone ever dug there? And where is it exactly? I'd like to see it on an overhead map. I still doubt the casque is within the park's private grounds however.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

Okay I'm back. I don't feel like my trip was entirely worthless... but I am tired as all gently caress from it. I may head back out there tomorrow, so if any of you other folks find anything, just let me know over PMs or in this thread and I'll move over to your location. Because for some reason I am now actually willing to bend my anonymity policy for this. :psyduck:

Oh and speaking of PMs, einTier, I tried to send you one just now but it didn't go through because your Inbox is full. Please fix this soon. Thanks! ;)

rookhunter, I can't tell if you're a troll or not, and I'm way too tired to actually find out right now, so... I'm just gonna leave that there for now.

Also, GPR, I need one, where can I get one, how do I rent one, etc. Someone tell me the procedure for this, please.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 15, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

HoboZero posted:

If newreply.php?action= is
North of your mouse pointer
Kiss two inches
On the hole behind my erection
All the letters
In the middle section
Are those
Who are just having fun with this dumb thing
Of absolutely no consequence
Face my stinkwhistle
Your nose to the hair
Feel alone
All the posts of basically chill people just talking
Are here to read
Fourteenth day
Twenty-third hour
Lit by LCD
In truth, just chill the gently caress out about literally everything

Congratulations on single-handedly making the reading of this thread totally worthwhile. I sputtered and accidentally spat all over my desk while reading this

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

HoboZero posted:

Even though the names on the BPL sell it fo me personally, I like this line of thinking because, honestly, that's a pretty cryptic loving image. Given his connection to the area I've wondered if Preiss made it extra hard to show off a little bit, or if he possibly even messed up the jewels somehow like the aquamarine/sapphire thing. There could've been late-game changes to the manuscript, edits to the illustrator that were overlooked due to budgetary cnstraints at the eleventh hour, or anything else. It's not like this was a big-budget operation and the editor probably wouldn't have known all the facts necessary to 'proof' all the content. What if the Emerald was supposed to be for Boston? What if it was supposed to be an Irish or Nordic connection, instead of an Italian one? There are so many things that make this such a drat brainworm, I swear. I'ma just dig this dude up and yell at him.

This image even more so because it is on the front cover and there may have ended up being other considerations after the fact.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I thought I was following this thread pretty closely, but this confuses me, are you one of the original 2 guys that's found one and the Houston one is your assist, or...?

He's planning to personally dig up the Houston one and get helper credit if we find one of the other ones he can't go to dig up himself.

Houston
Also, GPR, I need one, where can I get one, how do I rent one, etc. Someone tell me the procedure for this, please.
Here's one of many GPR companies with a Houston office. I have no idea on prices or anything, but call one of those numbers (or email them from the "contact us" page) and they can hook you up. Looks like they include a guy to operate the machine.

If you find it, make sure to credit me for assistance so I can put it on my resume.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 15, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Went to Charlesgate this morning and took a ton of pictures that I will dump at some point on Flickr. Nothing really matches and you can't see any green tower or the Citgo sign from the area indicated.

lolcat lady
May 3, 2009
Milwaukee

This thread is amazing amd mesmerizing. I want to share my thoughts about the first few phrases of the verse for Milwaukee, although not a mother-tonguer and 4400 miles away...so please be gentle and forgiving if it's nonsense.

As someone still had doubts about the picture relating to Milwaukee or Milwaukie, I think the juggling theme relates to the round gear in the flag of Milwaukee.

Btw, there are red balls that totally look like the ones in the picture at the golf course in Lake Park and the blue shade around the ladies' head looks for me like an outline of Lake Park.

View the three stories of Mitchell
As you walk the beating of the world

Mitchell Hall is very plausible. The beating of the world is however strange. Maybe it was meant to interprete the motto of University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee "numen lumen", which seems to be a pretty nonsensual, non-classical latin phrase. One translation tries something like "the divine within the universe, however manifested, is my light." So it somehow relates to a devine spark in the world, a heart beat.

So the translation would be: Walk by the university, look at Mitchell Hall, so that would be Kenwood Blv heading east.

At a distance in time
From three who lived there

Someone at one of the old forums (not Q4T, I have not seen what they did) marked Downer, Summit and Shephard Ave, as the streets to be crossed. Downer was a judge who lived in Milwaukee. I couldnt' find a confirmation for people named Shephard and Summit, but there's a book about the street names in Milwaukee...if someone has access to it, it may be confirmed.

Translation would be, Cross the streets named after three guys who formerly lived in Milwaukee.

At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing

The most plausible (for me) regarding this is Marietta Ave. Marietta was a painter and the only painting clearly attributed to her is the self-portrait with harpsichord. She lived at a distance in space, though far way, and as it is a painting, the playing is silent.

Step on nature
Cast in copper

I like the Lincolm Memorial solution for the cast in copper. If you follow the path, Kenwood Blv ends at Lincoln Memorial Drive. Step on nature 1: It's the entry for Lake Park. Step on nature 2: Oak Tree Trail (although I'm not sure it was named this way in 1982). Cast in copper is placed after the step in nature. So i believe this could be a hint not to follow the Lincoln Memorial Drive itself (as you should stay in nature), but the Trail close to it.

Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

This is a very controversial part. Someone pointed out the Grand Staircase doesn't match the numbers. If you follow my thought above, you will have to pass stairs on the trail, close to Ravine Road, well before you reach the grand staircase. This can be seen on streetview, but unluckily not much more. Can somebody follow this way and see, if it is a better match or where it goes that might resemble anything matching with the grand 200?

Pass the compass and reach
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge

For me, no real convincing compasses have been revealed yet. The lighthouse seems not right. If on the alternative path I proposed nothing shows up, maybe there was still a NATO symbol or flag at the former Nike station?! The NATO symbol looks a compass. If this is correct, the next bridge would be the first lion bridge. Or it goes in the area close to the Nike station, where there seems to be a waterfall. This is much further north than it was proposed.

The other things have to sorted out in the park. The letter can relate to something that looks like a rune, maybe (Wonderstone-->vulcanic-->often found in iceland-->There's LIfe the Explorer Monument farther south with runes?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well drat, it's 2:00 in the afternoon and I'm still trying to decide whether to drive back to Houston today or not. That trip yesterday drained the poo poo out of me, and to be honest I haven't been getting much sleep this week anyway. To top it all off, I'm starting to think that my primary spot is gonna be a tough sell permission-wise. :(

If anybody else is in Houston today, let us know what you turned up.

Delivery McGee posted:

He's planning to personally dig up the Houston one and get helper credit if we find one of the other ones he can't go to dig up himself.

Look I just wanna feel like I contributed, okay. :smith:

Delivery McGee posted:

Here's one of many GPR companies with a Houston office. I have no idea on prices or anything, but call one of those numbers (or email them from the "contact us" page) and they can hook you up. Looks like they include a guy to operate the machine.

Thanks, I'll look into this. It looks like these people have assisted police in finding human remains on private property, so I'm guessing they know their poo poo.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Went to Charlesgate this morning and took a ton of pictures that I will dump at some point on Flickr. Nothing really matches and you can't see any green tower or the Citgo sign from the area indicated.

I'm on my way there now, but you can see the Citgo sign elsewhere in Charlesgate. Not all of the images (even photorealistic ones) are visible from the burial location- many are nearby. But yeah.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Oh, there's a green tower. The highway's illuminated overhead exit signs span the overpass and are planted in the ground directly across the water from the little loopy bit (in the lower portion of the middle section of the park). It looked like it's currently an active worksite for some sort of project involving big machinery so snooping seemed like a no-go.

I have a lot of pictures from a long trek yesterday that I'm still sifting through, but I'm not entirely put off of Charlesgate yet. I was holding a little hope for some tenuous Fens connection but sadly I couldn't find one drat thing that jumped out at me.

I know some people last night hadn't noticed the loopy bit, so here's this:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

But the circle doesnt look like that, it only appeara to match due to the tree's shadow.

Can see Citgo, and 2 same-height turrets across the street, but no other visual clues & we walked all along the Comm Ave mall as well to be sure.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Heh, I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened...

<--

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

xie posted:

But the circle doesnt look like that, it only appeara to match due to the tree's shadow.

Can see Citgo, and 2 same-height turrets across the street, but no other visual clues & we walked all along the Comm Ave mall as well to be sure.

I know, it's just such a distinctive negative space to the left that I can't help but play with it.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Could the green tower of lights just be this pole? Looks like it's got some anti-treasure-hunter security cameras on it, but maybe back in the 80s it was just a green lamppost.

Edit: Oh, it's mentioned on the previous page.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

Heh, I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened...

*your very own custom pink text* <--

Congratulations! Now you can put that on your resume too.

edit: This thread is the best, but I voted a 4. I'm a real gem.

Subliminal Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 15, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I'm willing to back-burner Charlesgate, and really all Boston parks and try to match some imagery.

The imagery matched in the Cleveland park was pretty small, except for the wall itself, and the leg eater is also fairly small.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

xie posted:

I'm willing to back-burner Charlesgate, and really all Boston parks and try to match some imagery.

The imagery matched in the Cleveland park was pretty small, except for the wall itself, and the leg eater is also fairly small.

There was the columns, the arch and 2 different fountains I the Cleveland illustration, al which were in the park,along with the wall.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Peenigrippe posted:

Congratulations! Now you can put that on your resume too.

Let's leave him alone guys, all he wants to do is contribute! Now please keep posting your own pictures and theories while he keeps his secret.

Oh, and if you know exactly where it is buried, he will make the drive, but only if he gets to keep the box. I mean, it all sounds legit.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Sham I Am posted:

There was the columns, the arch and 2 different fountains I the Cleveland illustration, al which were in the park,along with the wall.

That's true. There's just not that much stuff in most of the other images, unfortunately :\ In "Boston," we're assuming the turrets on the box have to be important simply because they're one of the only clear images in the drat thing. It's the bird, that, and the globes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone even dug a hole yet?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Waltzing Along posted:

Well if somebody were to use magic to divine the location of the casks we would get started a lot faster, wink wink nudge nudge.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Waltzing Along posted:

Hi. I spent the afternoon poking holes in the ground in White Point Gardens in Charleston. Pictures to come. I think I have a pretty good theory, but I can't seem to narrow it down to a for-sure spot to dig.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Boston

Nesetril posted:

Please check out Cambridge Common Park. I honestly believe it's the best lead so far.

I walked all around this park, as well as Harvard, today and found nothing of interest. Not even the pig on the Porcellian gate is a match.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

That's true. There's just not that much stuff in most of the other images, unfortunately :\ In "Boston," we're assuming the turrets on the box have to be important simply because they're one of the only clear images in the drat thing. It's the bird, that, and the globes.

It seems like there really could be a lot in the picture. The design on her dress. The different markings around the window. The castle on the box. The hawk. The globes. The string of symbols on her dress, etc. The only problem is that none of them match Boston. I think that the hair looks like a bunch of wharves but that could be any number of ports and I would probably start there if I were to try and find somewhere other than Boston.

People have been claiming with other pictures that the cities are known because longitude and latitude are found in them. That does not seem to be the case here - 24/42 and 112 are the only numbers that I can really see. That fits to the middle of nowhere Idaho.

Does someone have a list of where the longitude/latitude numbers are on the other pictures? Is it really pretty consistent?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

Boston

I walked all around this park, as well as Harvard, today and found nothing of interest. Not even the pig on the Porcellian gate is a match.

Yeah, I could have told you that looks like a Razorback.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

LargeHadron posted:

Well if somebody were to use magic to divine the location of the casks we would get started a lot faster, wink wink nudge nudge.

Well that settles it, then! Anybody got a silver ring and a copy of The Lesser Key of Solomon?

Waltzing Along posted:

My original plan yesterday was to go poke a few holes in the ground, but the area I went to was a bit too crowded for me to do anything except snap a few photos. I might go back out there a bit later, but at this point I'll probably have to call a GPR crew before I can even poke a hole.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Let's leave him alone guys, all he wants to do is contribute! Now please keep posting your own pictures and theories while he keeps his secret.

Oh, and if you know exactly where it is buried, he will make the drive, but only if he gets to keep the box. I mean, it all sounds legit.

Hey I don't have to keep the box. I just wanna make some holes in the ground and have a small share of the glory.

... and not get yelled at by my parents for spending more than $100 on something other than rent. I got bills to pay just like everyone else. :smith:

Like I said earlier, that Resume stuff is just a dumb wishful-thinking fantasy I use to justify the time and money I've been putting into this for the last 2 weeks. To be honest, if I at least get my name mentioned in an article, then my folks will probably be cool enough with it to turn a blind eye toward any money spent in the process. The main reason I'm doing this is because I find this kind of thing to be FUN AS poo poo.... it's like a live-action Redwall search or something.

... Screw it, here's a bit of what I have so far:

Houston

Verse 1 posted:

Fortress north
Drawing a bit on what einTier said earlier regarding Anthem, I think this may be referring to the Rice University campus as a whole.

Verse 1 posted:

Cold as glass
Also from Anthem, generally agreed upon to be referring to railroad tracks. I didn't get to take a photo of it yesterday, but there's a METRORail system on the street between the Rice University campus and Hermann Park. Unfortunately though, I don't know how long it's been there for... would anyone care to look this up real quick?

EDIT: Aaaaaand Wikipedia says it was built after 1988 and opened in 2004. poo poo. :(

Verse 1 posted:

Friendship south
Probably referring to Hermann Park itself.

I'm still working on piecing together some of the other parts of my theory, but this is what I've got as of right now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

Also from Anthem, generally agreed upon to be referring to railroad tracks. I didn't get to take a photo of it yesterday, but there's a railcar system on the street between the Rice University campus and Hermann Park. Unfortunately though, I don't know how long it's been there for... would anyone care to look this up real quick?

Looks like construction on the first light rail system in Houston started in 1983.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METRORail

Edit: Yeah, Hermann/Rice is part of this system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Park_/_Rice_University_%28METRORail_station%29 and opened in 2004.

TX297 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 16, 2013