Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm still not getting further story missions. I think my save is broken. :[

I didn't get any for a while until I drove up towards the NW corner of the map and found a bridge that was blocked. Then, as I was driving back towards my base, I started getting missions again. Maybe try hopping in a car and doing a circuit of the world until something pops.

Also, good to see those patch notes; I had zombies stuck in the floor in Marshall and it was tricky to clear them out yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Alright, I think I'm missing something here.
I saw one red splatter on my map, an infestation. Nearly killed Sam, but I took it out. It was right by my base. That is the only infestation I saw on my map while the notification was on the top left telling me that we're surrounded by infestations. I'm starting to lose morale and really need to knock this zombie poo poo off. Where are these infestations that everyone is so freaked out about? Because I only saw one on my map near my base and I destroyed it. They're still freaked, I just lost more morale and can't find a drat thing besides random hordes nearby in the streets every once in a while.

Also, every time I log in I've got (normally) two misfires in my base. Why can't these assholes understand proper gun control? Is it because their shooting skills are all low except for Maya?

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 15, 2013

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well I feel kinda dumb, the reason I couldn't build any more outposts is because I was at my limit. I didn't even realize you could remove ones you didn't need anymore, all this time those outposts back by my old home at the church were keeping me from building new ones.

On that topic, anyone know how you can increase your limit of outposts?

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

AcidCat posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't. *Edit* This guy below me knows his poo poo.

From what I can tell, it's part of the mechanic to keep you somewhat limited so you don't end up being king poo poo of zombieland with outposts everywhere. They kinda want you to pick and choose.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 15, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Nerolus posted:

Where are these infestations that everyone is so freaked out about? Because I only saw one on my map near my base and I destroyed it. They're still freaked, I just lost more morale and can't find a drat thing besides random hordes nearby in the streets every once in a while.

They won't show up on your map unless you discover them. They can appear in places you've already discovered, so you can check with a survey point or driving around. Only infestations in a 500m radius from your base will cause the morale loss.

AcidCat posted:

It depends on the size of your base and eight is the cap for the larger bases.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nerolus posted:

Also, every time I log in I've got (normally) two misfires in my base. Why can't these assholes understand proper gun control? Is it because their shooting skills are all low except for Maya?
Upgrade your guard towers and then get training for them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Knightmare posted:

They won't show up on your map unless you discover them. They can appear in places you've already discovered, so you can check with a survey point or driving around. Only infestations in a 500m radius from your base will cause the morale loss.

Yeah, the smart thing to do when you boot up the game is to head to one or two survey points closest to your base and identify all hordes/infestations/special zombies within the vicinity. That way, you can clear the infestations early and then get to your other plans.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Neither of those things worked. :( oh well. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, the smart thing to do when you boot up the game is to head out ASAP to pick up a scavenger or anger/sadness mission before you go to to one or two survey points closest to your base and identify all hordes/infestations/special zombies within the vicinity. That way, you can clear the infestations early and then get to your other plans.
Fixed that a little for ya! :devil:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
After not finding a single .22 during my first play through, I found a .22 rifle and revolver back to back. I must say they are amazing. I snipped an entire infestation with the rifle un-silenced and the only thing the zombies noticed was their buddies heads exploding. I'm going to be getting a lot of use out of these things.

And I know it's been said before, but Sam is one bad chick. A horde got to the warehouse before I could stop it, and I came screaming up in a muscle car just as the zombies started beating on the gate. Sam walked out of the sleeping area, fired off two shells from her Hooker killing the entire horde with out stepping off of the porch, then strolled back inside like it ain't no thang. Nobody interrupts Sam's me time.

I stuck a link to Coyo7e's guide at the top of the OP so people don't have to hunt for it.

skoolmunkee posted:

Neither of those things worked. :( oh well. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

One thing you can try that the devs said may help with this is to keep clearing things off of your to do list (That mission/suggestion list under the base info panel). It sounded like story missions can kind of get stuck in a que and you need to take care of things on that list so it can pop.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, the smart thing to do when you boot up the game is to head to one or two survey points closest to your base and identify all hordes/infestations/special zombies within the vicinity. That way, you can clear the infestations early and then get to your other plans.

The survey point closest to the church base doesn't reveal any infestations, yet everyone is whining about infestations and people are constantly going missing.

My beloved Marcus. Where are you? :negative:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the patch was supposed to fix all these infestation problems. I didn't get a chance to play today, what's the consensus on the effects of the patch?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the Mustang is able to bend space and time, so be careful to not drive too fast when going back to base. Either that or a zombienado stripped away all the buildings.

At least the fast food restaurant still has a roof :D

It was weird, pieces of the building were simply not there. No ramp in the garage, and the stairs just led you back to the ground. The worst part was finding out that the bridge didn't show up either when I tried to high tail it to the grange to see if I could get that part of town to re-render.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

Yeah, this game has some tough rendering going on. I was driving my offroad hatchback at a blinding speed when suddenly a taxi cab rendered inside of me and threw me into the air.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Has anybody else seen this glitch? In my game, the voices work fine, but in my buddy's game on the same Xbox with a different user profile, all of the playable males in his group say their lines in Marcus's voice. In cutscenes or scripted events they use their own voice but anything they say when I'm roaming the world with them sounds like a tough black dude. He even erased his save and started a new game once this patch came out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nerolus posted:

Yeah, this game has some tough rendering going on. I was driving my offroad hatchback at a blinding speed when suddenly a taxi cab rendered inside of me and threw me into the air.

Car on car anything can be silly. Every car I've lost has been because I came into some level of contact with another vehicle and either flipped or was jettisoned into the sky.

If they can make co-op happen, two player derbies are going to make some videos.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nerolus posted:

The survey point closest to the church base doesn't reveal any infestations, yet everyone is whining about infestations and people are constantly going missing.

My beloved Marcus. Where are you? :negative:

Did you try the two other survey points near the church? There's one to the east on top of a billboard on the side of the road, and another just outside of town in the southwest corner on top of a hill.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're sending TU2 to cert next week, another $40k down the drain :v:
Here's the draft patch notes. Highlights:

quote:

• You can now manufacture homemade painkillers in the Medical Lab.
  • The rate at which Stockpiles are consumed no longer factors in the number of missions played during the current day. It was causing Stockpile consumption to be too high.
  • You now receive a Stockpile bonus upon claiming a new Home site. Each site comes with a specific number of Stockpiles, based on the size and number of Facility sockets in the site.
  • Lily no longer reminds you to come to the final mission site. It was annoying during sandbox play after winning final mission.
  • Searching for Stockpiles with the radio is now more reliable.
  • Made it easier to execute "Double Kill" move.
They also made all the multi-day facility actions only take a couple of hours at most.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jonny Retro posted:

After not finding a single .22 during my first play through, I found a .22 rifle and revolver back to back. I must say they are amazing. I snipped an entire infestation with the rifle un-silenced and the only thing the zombies noticed was their buddies heads exploding. I'm going to be getting a lot of use out of these things.
There is a gauranteed firearm in the tutorial area, I've literally never gone through while hitting all 5 tents, wihtout seeing either/both of a 22 revolver and a 22 squirrel rifle. Also the occasional .45 revolver.

There are 5 tents and like 6 or 7 cabins total up there, if you hit all 5 tents you will get at least 1 gun, 1 backpack, and probably another melee weapon (cabins are usually arguably useless crap like fireworks.) The guns are usually in the small flat gun cases or rifle cases, and you USUALLY get a large backpack by the time you hit all5 tents however, once I got 3 small ones.

Signed,
the chronic re-roller

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 16, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

There is a gauranteed firearm in the tutorial area, I've literally never gone through while hitting all 5 tents, wihtout seeing either/both of a 22 revolver and a 22 squirrel rifle. Also the occasional .45 revolver.

There are 5 tents and like 6 or 7 cabins total up there, if you hit all 5 tents you will get at least 1 gun, 1 backpack, and probably another melee weapon (cabins are usually arguably useless crap like fireworks.) The guns are usually in the small flat gun cases or rifle cases, and you USUALLY get a large backpack by the time you hit all5 tents however, once I got 3 small ones.

Signed,
the chronic re-roller

If you're clearing out all of this you end up getting enough experience to put Marcus close to fighting and powerhouse 7 usually.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Just had an interesting bug happen with Sam. Had to go meet her so I could help her find Andy Hoffman(?) and as soon as I get there she books it across the farm field in the back. She only stopped whenever she had to fight a feral zombie. But after said feral was dead she continued to run across the field. I only caught up to her after she got stuck on a fence.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

homeless snail posted:

They're sending TU2 to cert next week, another $40k down the drain :v:

You would think a Microsoft published game would be excepted from the whole patch fine and certification thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Didn't someone compile a list of all the possible bases? I found the Alamo, one of the other houses near the church, and I know about the Trucking place and the treefort house, but I heard there was a farm and maybe a few others. I'm driving around with Jacob right now so I can hear what they have to say.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Didn't someone compile a list of all the possible bases? I found the Alamo, one of the other houses near the church, and I know about the Trucking place and the treefort house, but I heard there was a farm and maybe a few others. I'm driving around with Jacob right now so I can hear what they have to say.

Jonny Retro posted:

http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/Bases (the wiki is still fairly bare bones, but it's getting better)

Church of the Ascension
Kirkman Residence
McReady's Farmhouse
Savini Residence
Snyder Trucking Warehouse
The Alamo
Trumbull County Fairgrounds
Ranger Station

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Of the list of bases, people are typically sticking with Snyder Trucking Warehouse for endgame. I only moved there today from the residence with the treehouse but so far the upgrades are going well...

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

Signed,
the chronic re-roller

I haven't found a large backpack at all since I did the patch and I've done the tutorial area a few times now, since I too am a chronic re-roller. Plus I wasn't happy when I stupidly got Marcus killed in my first game after the patch and rage restarted. I probably should have kept going with that play since I had a few survivors that I found almost right away that probably would have turned out good since they seemed to have good personal skills. I had one who was an army medic with construction abilities and one of the good fighting/shooting skills.

I usually clear all the areas with Marcus, which usually gets me up to around level 5 of fighting and powerhouse, plus usually level 3 for cardio and at least 1 level of leadership. Also, after I get Maya, I like to take 10 peaceful minutes or so to boost up her cardio to level 3.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 16, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TMMadman posted:

I haven't found a large backpack at all since I did the patch and I've done the tutorial area a few times now, since I too am a chronic re-roller. Plus I wasn't happy when I stupidly got Marcus killed in my first game after the patch and rage restarted. I probably should have kept going with that play since I had a few survivors that I found almost right away that probably would have turned out good since they seemed to have good personal skills. I had one who was an army medic with construction abilities and one of the good fighting/shooting skills.

I usually clear all the areas with Marcus, which usually gets me up to around level 5 of fighting and powerhouse, plus usually level 3 for cardio and at least 1 level of leadership. Also, after I get Maya, I like to take 10 peaceful minutes or so to boost up her cardio to level 3.

Check orchards, forests, and houses for backpack loot containers, they usually have a pack.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

UncleSmoothie posted:

I thought the patch was supposed to fix all these infestation problems. I didn't get a chance to play today, what's the consensus on the effects of the patch?

The rate of Infestation warnings seems to be about the same, but the consequences don't seem as severe. When I quit last weekend all of my people had gone missing. Thankfully when I got back on after the patch, none had died, and since then they have slowly all come back into the fold and have been going missing at a greatly reduced frequency.

However I really don't like the Infestation mechanic as is. Although the morale loss is negligible, the constant warnings about it get annoying, and I'm sure it does still cause survivors to go missing. It's just a crap mechanic because they don't show up on your map, and even after scouting at multiple locations, they don't often show up. And when you eliminate one, it seems to make no difference, the warnings continue. It's just a needless annoyance. Really, they just need to show up on your map like every other mission you have to deal with. It would still keep the tension of prioritizing what to do without the annoyance of having a problem you can do really nothing about.

Anyway moved to the trucking warehouse from the Alamo and things are getting better for my crew of survivors. I think the Alamo is just too surrounded by potentially hostile sites, plus the trucking yard allows your base to expand more and allows more outposts.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 16, 2013

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Check orchards, forests, and houses for backpack loot containers, they usually have a pack.

When you Scout and see a campsite it's almost guaranteed to have a big backpack. There are several campsites on the periphery of Marshall and I'm sure elsewhere aside from the starting area.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

starting area doesn't always have a gun, one of my games came through with 22 shotgun shells but no gun. Other times it's been a revolver or a 2-barrel shotty.

I think that game I had to restart because I played as Maya coming out of the ranger station and Marcus' AI bugged out, causing him to fall while we were climbing up the other side of the river. Started the game with broken legs.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
I kicked off a new game since the patch and I got some awesome military grade assault rifle in the beginning area, but finding ammo for it is proving to be a pain in the rear end. Anyone found a reliable place for 5.56 ammo drops?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Check the judge and wilkersons.

Basic Chunnel posted:

starting area doesn't always have a gun, one of my games came through with 22 shotgun shells but no gun. Other times it's been a revolver or a 2-barrel shotty.

I think that game I had to restart because I played as Maya coming out of the ranger station and Marcus' AI bugged out, causing him to fall while we were climbing up the other side of the river. Started the game with broken legs.
I have never left the starting area without a gun if I clear all 5 tents. I have done so well over a dozen times.

If you don't check the last tent you may miss the gun case. It's hard to see sometimes.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Rerolled after the patch, had a confusing moment where I picked up a loving Samurai PDW from a gun case in the tutorial area. Is that even remotely normal?

Also, had a hectic moment where Ed (who at this point hadn't been upgraded at all from default, so a lot of 1's in skills) had to rescue an ally because Marcus and Maya were both recuperating from a beatdown. Alerted a horde on the way to the farmhouse the lady was at, then managed to both run out of ammo for the shotgun *and* break my only weapon. So Ed started rapidly searching poo poo for something, but due to bad luck ended up not only making two loud noises but also didn't find poo poo for weapons.

So with the house now flooding with zombies and Ed rocking fists, I pretty much said gently caress it and tried my best. Started kicking the poo poo out of zombies, running around to regain stamina, and letting Allison fend for herself. By the time the thirty-or-so horde is finally killed, Ed's now rocking some good fighting and reflexes and both of them are miraculously still alive. :stare:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mountain Lightning posted:

So with the house now flooding with zombies and Ed rocking fists, I pretty much said gently caress it and tried my best. Started kicking the poo poo out of zombies, running around to regain stamina, and letting Allison fend for herself. By the time the thirty-or-so horde is finally killed, Ed's now rocking some good fighting and reflexes and both of them are miraculously still alive. :stare:

I've been trying to kill off somebody and get the suicide grenade achievement but even unarmed survivors can kill a lot of zombies.

Side note, the mines you can create really early? They're molotov mines and you get 5 of them for one fuel

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a double barrel in this game? I have yet to find one. Does it have a different animation for reloading?

I've gotten very well situated at Snyder Trucking this playthrough, and I started there early as I could. I've also lucked into a number of randomly generated survivors who have Powerhouse or Leadership both, and I even have a girl with Powerhouse where before I'd only seen men have it. So far I've even managed to keep Alan and the Preacher alive!

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've been trying to kill off somebody and get the suicide grenade achievement but even unarmed survivors can kill a lot of zombies.

Side note, the mines you can create really early? They're molotov mines and you get 5 of them for one fuel

Go fight a juggernaut. That happened to me during a freak hunt. RIP Sam. (her molotov nearly killed Marcus to boot)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dr.Oblivious posted:

You would think a Microsoft published game would be excepted from the whole patch fine and certification thing.

They probably are considering they're being able to bypass Title Update size limits. Microsoft may be giving them a bit of the minecraft treatment.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've only been getting generic missions for a while now. Is there some trigger to continue the Courthouse or Army storylines?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I'm still getting those constant infestation messages in my current game. Do I need to start a new game in order for the update to kick in?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of breaking open loot sacks? Is it a matter of the sack being community supplies vs. playable survivor supplies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So like, my Alan has Black Fever but he still hasn't died or anything, still standing around home-base being all whatever. He's been like this for 5+ real days now so I think I need to boot him out or shoot him already. What should I do?

• Locked thread