Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kanye's baby leaked early too

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/15/kim-kardashian-gives-birth-baby-girl/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Kim is in labor.

Let's all hope for a June 18th "release date."

EDIT: It's born! All hail the anti christ!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Bound.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Kanye's baby leaked early too

God drat :golfclap:

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
Surprised people really like this album, listened to it a few times now and all I can picture is Kanye surrounded by "yes men" telling him these songs are hot fire when they are really not. Black Skinhead drums are pretty awesome though.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

These songs are hot fire

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"costra nostra" really irritates me after the 100th time :\

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

After sleeping on this album, Kanye's sub-par lyrics have finally become a stumbling block for me. In the past, if I wasn't 100% on board with the lines, I could tune it out and concentrate on the production. On this one, the music's so abrasive that you are forced to listen Kanye bitch like a 13 year old for the entire album. poo poo's gotten a bit old. Don't get me wrong, when it's good it's really good (Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Send it Up), but everything else is so...not good, you know?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The more I listen to this, the more I realize this album is the most audacious think kanye has made.

It's far from my favorite album by him, but it's just so singular and weird and great.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just listened to this. God drat yeezyyyyy.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
i'm reading every wrong opinion about yeezus and personally showing them to kanye one by one

Reverend Jones
Jan 1, 2007
The Sauce is Boss
The album is growing on me. Am I the only one who enjoyed Bound 2? :(

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
I love these beats because they just sound so jagged and awkward and they really shouldn't work but they somehow do; at least for me.

e: and no, Bound 2 is great. After nine tracks of sharpness, it's a nice smooth closer.

Not An Irish Monk fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 16, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Reverend Jones posted:

Am I the only one who enjoyed Bound 2? :(

It might be my favorite track. Classic Kanye, but still keeping with the weird and fractured vibe of the rest of the album. Love it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Kind of a weird pre-baby album. I wonder what drove him to make an album like this.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WASDF posted:

Kind of a weird pre-baby album. I wonder what drove him to make an album like this.

Yeah, that is what has me thinking. I was honestly expecting something more upbeat and celebratory. It was pretty obvious where the introspection and self loathing of MBDTF came from. This album is just so raw that it almost hurts, and it changes direction so quickly that you almost get whiplash (I'm in it is honestly the best example of this, especially from :50-1:50)

Anyway, the album is brilliant if you ask me. Someone previously said this this reminds them of an Odd Future production, and I get that vibe too. The raw, electronic feel of the tracks kind if give a similar vibe. Obviously the production on Kanye's stuff is way better, though.

All in all, my favorite tracks are New Slaves, Im in it, Blood on the Leaves, Guilt Trip, and Send it Up.
The beat of Send it Up is just stupid good.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
“Eating Asian pussy all I need is sweet and sour sauce”

Welp, this is amesome.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Ugh.. So many cringeworthy lines. Just when I start to get into appreciating the amazing production values, too. Repeating a word at the end of successive lines is okay occasionally for effect, but doing it constantly reeks of laziness.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This album is insane and weird. It definitely can be cringeworthy. Everything about Kanye these days makes me think of Trent Reznor.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah wait you genuinely like that sweet and sour sauce line? I guess it's "funny" in a dumb ironic way but what the hell.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

echronorian posted:

This album is insane and weird. It definitely can be cringeworthy. Everything about Kanye these days makes me think of Trent Reznor.
"Starfucker.."

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Some of the album screams fear of parenthood to me, Eraserhead style. Just primal fear.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The question about what drove Kanye to make this album, especially at a time in his life that should be positive and celebratory, is interesting. I think Kanye has a pretty hosed up view of human beings in general, including himself, and the story he tells in a lot of his music is basically "I'm a really bad person," despite all of the arrogance and extravagance (or because of it!). In that context, I imagine the prospect of him having a wife, being a father, etc. would drive him to some interesting places mentally, and musically.

Just to be proactive about it: :goonsay:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

maybe he's nihilistic about relationships and life but bombastic about it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

mks5000 posted:

Anyway, the album is brilliant if you ask me. Someone previously said this this reminds them of an Odd Future production, and I get that vibe too. The raw, electronic feel of the tracks kind if give a similar vibe. Obviously the production on Kanye's stuff is way better, though.

It's way more pop-producer does Death Grips, I think.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

WASDF posted:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Some of the album screams fear of parenthood to me, Eraserhead style. Just primal fear.

Mutation posted:

"Starfucker.."

I'm pretty worried for Kanye, honestly. Feels like he's a few days away from a nervous breakdown.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

catpowerd posted:

“Eating Asian pussy all I need is sweet and sour sauce”

Welp, this is amesome.

Really? Because it's the type of line I expect on a Childish Gambino album.

i think Bound 2 is dope, other than that, I dunno. Like others have said, Ye was never a great lyricist (see quote above!) and with these super sparse beats, his vocals are at the forefront and I'm just left wanting a more.

Someone quoted an interview with Rick Rubin in this thread, right before the leak I believe, and in it Rick mentioned that Ye laid down like 3-5 tracks vocally in like a couple hours because Ye had to jet to a baby shower for Kim and was impressed by it, but, honestly, that just sounds about right to me. I don't see a ton of work on the lyrics at all. If this guy wants to win album of the year (which he seemed pretty obsessed with in the New York Times interview) I think he should spend a little bit more tim on his album instead of just throwing money at it.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 16, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like at this point the kinda awkward lines like that (though maybe not that exact line) are what make a Kanye record sound like a Kanye record. He's never been the most eloquent guy, and it's shown throughout his entire career, but that never stopped him before.

edit: I actually think the Childish Gambino comparison makes sense, because when I heard the intro to I'm In It the first time, it sounded like Heartbeat done about a million times better than Donald Glover could ever pull off, and I like Childish sometimes.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 16, 2013

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Good album. Not great. Feels very short, and some of the beats in it are honestly just annoying (the screaming at the end of one of the songs).

I feel like he's just going in a different direction from what worked for him for his first 3 albums. They've all been radically different since Graduation, not that it's been a bad thing, but it feels like he's different for the sake of it. Every time I hear a track from him I hope it's MBDTF, but it's somewhere short.

I really enjoy this, but feel it was rushed and could have been better. I mean it's a good album, but Kanye is capable of more.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
A lot of the songs sound like Watch the Throne B sides if Kanye worked on them without Jay, while pouting.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

So It Goes posted:

I for one liked 808s significantly more than Yeezus. A little surprised by the overall positive reception it seems to be initially getting, I thought for the sure the album would at least be very divisive. I guess house-style music just isn't for me, I really do miss College Dropout Kanye, oh well.

Agreed. 808s took awhile for me to grow on me but I just can't see myself liking this.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I don't think many rappers would dare gently caress with some of the beats Kanye has on this album. He's striving for something real different, but that thing isn't for me.

Also, the idea of Childish Gambino dropping a song like New Slaves (the lyrics of this, especially the opening verse, show that his rhymes don't have to be trash) or Blood on the Leaves is kind of funny to me. Funny enough, those two were among the album's best for me, and even Blood on the Leaves is like a minute and a half too long. "Hurry up with my drat croissants" was funny as gently caress but then he did a thing on that song too.

It's interesting to see how many reviewers and people here like it; everyone I know dislikes this album more than I do.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

double negative posted:

I don't think many rappers would dare gently caress with some of the beats Kanye has on this album. He's striving for something real different, but that thing isn't for me.

Also, the idea of Childish Gambino dropping a song like New Slaves (the lyrics of this, especially the opening verse, show that his rhymes don't have to be trash) or Blood on the Leaves is kind of funny to me. Funny enough, those two were among the album's best for me, and even Blood on the Leaves is like a minute and a half too long. "Hurry up with my drat croissants" was funny as gently caress but then he did a thing on that song too.

It's interesting to see how many reviewers and people here like it; everyone I know dislikes this album more than I do.

Maybe you're not talking about me specifically, but I just don't want my comment taken out of context. I quoted a specific line that I likened to Glover. I just don't think Ye's writing is especially strong, moreso on this album, and I think his punchline raps are pretty specifically weak.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So bizarre that the guy paraphrases Gold Digger at the end of Blood on the Leaves a few weeks before his kid is about to be born.

^burtle fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 16, 2013

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Is it possible that the album title isn't referring to Kanye himself but to his (at the time) impending child? :tinfoil: Obviously, this doesn't affect the album too much, but it's interesting to think about if you view the contents of the CD as essentially Kanye's insane ramblings on the next phase of his life (ie fatherhood) -- which it seems like some here do.

Also, Kanye is basically a real-life version of Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 16, 2013

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Professor Funk posted:

Is it possible that the album title isn't referring to Kanye himself but to his (at the time) impending child? :tinfoil:

Also, Kanye is basically a real-life version of Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

He calls himself Yeezus on the album a few times.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

^burtle posted:

He calls himself Yeezus on the album a few times.

Yeah you're right, I guess he does on I Am a God. So much for that theory!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

quote:

I wanna gently caress you hard on the sink
After that, give you something to drink
Step back, can't get spunk on the mink

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 5, 2015

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I really don't think the rhymes are as strong as they were on MBDTF but this is an interesting enough presentation that I'm enjoying enough.

"I just talked to Jeezus.
He said what's up, Yeezus?" oh my god pls stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

WASDF posted:

I really don't think the rhymes are as strong as they were on MBDTF but this is an interesting enough presentation that I'm enjoying enough.

"I just talked to Jeezus.
He said what's up, Yeezus?" oh my god pls stop

lmao

some of the lyrics are seriously awful but i'm still in love with the album in general

• Locked thread