Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Fake Edit: I moved Austen to the Chat thread

And now some content.

Wolverine v4 #19

Really, a Gorilla Man/Fat Cobra ongoing series is my dream writing job. The very idea is too beautiful for this world to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

Really, a Gorilla Man/Fat Cobra ongoing series is my dream writing job. The very idea is too beautiful for this world to handle.

It needs Hercules.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Tony Stark says hi. Considering he has wielded the Infinity Gauntlet, you'll have a hard time convincing himself that any kind of God actually exists, since he would know.

Atheists in any piece of fiction are wrong. They literally have a creator.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tony Stark says hi. Considering he has wielded the Infinity Gauntlet, you'll have a hard time convincing himself that any kind of God actually exists, since he would know.

I am also pretty sure that Tony may not have a God he has a higher power.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's not Wolverine, and you need to read Fraction's Iron Fist immediately.

And the Immortal Weapons #1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why is Wolverine a sumo wrestler?

VVV Apparently I do!

That is, in fact, Fat Cobra.

Who is the greatest.

Of all time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

bobkatt013 posted:

I am also pretty sure that Tony may not have a God he has a higher power.

Based on his farewell recording in Stark Disassembled, he's probably a Secular Humanist along with an Atheist, I suppose.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Based on his farewell recording in Stark Disassembled, he's probably a Secular Humanist along with an Atheist, I suppose.

I just base that on the fact he is a member of AA

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes, but Tony Stark is an idiot. I mean seriously, how badly do you have to gently caress up that people think the Green Goblin is a better choice for your job? Tony Stark believing a thing is almost proof of it being a bad idea. Maybe if it's like his third idea down he'll finally start to be correct. Like if he was a theist, then agnostic, then flat out atheist? Maybe. As that's not it, "Tony Stark: Atheist" is basically a giant neon sign saying "Atheists are terrible".

Like every super scientist in the setting he's a B-List Reed Richards. Reed Richard's best friend dies, he doesn't secular humanist him back to life. He goes to heaven and he finds his loving buddy's soul, then he talks to God and has that poo poo cleared up. If heaven is good enough for Reed Richards, it's good enough for me :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who's the fourth guy/monster in the eating contest?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SynthOrange posted:

Who's the fourth guy/monster in the eating contest?

Googam, son of Goom.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They should bring Goom back, what with his great ability set of "mental powers" and "immense head". :crossarms:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bandette is being collected by Dark Horse:
Get A First Look Inside Tobin And Coover's 'Bandette Vol. 1: Presto!' Hardcover From Dark Horse [Preview]
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/...preview-extras/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Mega Man and Sonic continue to run into roboticized Sonic characters, and then suddenly everything turns into an Abbott and Costello routine:

THIRD BASE!

And the silly jokes about the respective game series keep flying...

Shut up Mega Man, block puzzles are a bitch.

(Everything from Mega Man #26)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TwoPair posted:

THIRD BASE!
Wouldn't this work better if Sonic actually had told him to go for the other guy? :confused:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ghostlight posted:

Wouldn't this work better if Sonic actually had told him to go for the other guy? :confused:

It's actually a bit funnier, since the writer got confused too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wanderer posted:

You know what was kind of weird, is that four years ago or so I erased the dialogue from that page so we could photoshop it in the "Ruin the Moment" thread, and last week somebody on my Facebook feed posted one of the photoshops ("You know who fucks real good? Redheads."). At least one of those has a/descended to "meme" status.

Neat. That's the one I did. Though I think Gavok did the better one, turning it into a gangsta rap.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

Bandette is being collected by Dark Horse:
Get A First Look Inside Tobin And Coover's 'Bandette Vol. 1: Presto!' Hardcover From Dark Horse [Preview]
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/...preview-extras/

Hurrah! Finally some good news.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

TwoPair posted:

And the silly jokes about the respective game series keep flying...

Shut up Mega Man, block puzzles are a bitch.

(Everything from Mega Man #26)

gently caress those blocks!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Megaman worth picking up or is this a "these are all the best panels don't bother" situation? I'm halfway sold just by the block joke (because seriously smashpro is right, gently caress those blocks).

VV Cheers guys, good advice.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 17, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pierson posted:

Is Megaman worth picking up or is this a "these are all the best panels don't bother" situation? I'm halfway sold just by the block joke (because seriously smashpro is right, gently caress those blocks).

Definitely the latter, in my opinion. There's an obvious passion for the source material and the art tends to be good, but it's not very well paced or as funny as it thinks it is, and it has a lot of the problems the Archie Sonic comics have never been able to rid themselves of. You could do worse, I suppose, but they're not very good.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pierson posted:

It's worth it if you temper your expectations. It's completely ridiculous in every way, and it's aimed at kids...but you can see the creators really care about the source material and they come up with clever ways to make it work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pierson posted:

It's one of my favorite comics on the stands right now. While not as good, it tries to fill the void in my heart left by the cancellation of Darkwing Duck.

The current arc, while fun in itself, is a little problematic and confusing because Sonic has years of in-game and comic continuity to base itself off of while Mega Man has years of in-game continuity and barely anything from the comics. The comic's been taking its time to the extent that right before the Sonic crossover started, they were only just beginning Mega Man 3's story. So they had to come up with a plot device that changes reality so that all the Mega Man games have pretty much happened, Mega Man knows who Proto Man is and Bass exists.

But really, it's a fun series.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Unknown spider-man panel, but I wish I knew it obviously

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pacra posted:

Unknown spider-man panel, but I wish I knew it obviously

That's gotta be Spidey Super Stories.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's gotta be Spidey Super Stories.
#48, to be precise.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 17, 2013

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I really need to see Luke Cage's reaction to Plantman

e: Also, Spidey Super Stories is always amazing

From #55

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 17, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zeeman posted:

I really need to see Luke Cage's reaction to Plantman
There really isn't one, but this page more than makes up for it:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Nothing will ever quite match the genius of the villains of yore.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You'd think the delivery guy at least recognizes Spider-man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Now that's confidence for you, Plant-Man was so sure he'd get away that he arranged for a florist to deliver a taunting message to Spider-Man and Power Man. His face would have been red if they'd caught him, dragged him outside and found the delivery man waiting. "Oh yeah, that... I kinda thought things would go differently... :sweatdrop:"

Speaking of red faces:

Age of Ultron #3

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

SynthOrange posted:

Bluuuurgh. Why would you even write that. What the gently caress does it even bring to the table?

The ONLY thing I can think of with making mutants immune to AIDS is if you wanted to do a story about how mutants are so genetically different than baseline humans that there are a number of 'human' diseases can't cross over into the mutant population, that the X-gene somehow makes it impossible for HIV to replicate in mutant cells. Which would likely be a stronger argument if we made more a point about differences at a genetic level between humans and mutants.

For a long time, mutants were supposedly the only ones that could catch Legacy, for example, too, marking it a virus that humans were immune to as a counterpoint that there may be a number of potential diseases out there that mutants can catch that humans typically would be immune to. However, with Legacy being an engineered disease that itself mutated to crossover to the human population, that's up for debate...

Back in the 90s when Namorita went through her blue era, the legend was that writer's original plan was that she was supposed to have been infected with presumably HIV that caused her genetics to change after an implied sexual encounter, but that was later changed to something else like being a clone causing the change.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of red faces:

Age of Ultron #3

Taskmaster is the best. Further evidence:

(from the Huston/Finch Moon Knight relaunch, #4)

This got a reference later in UMvC3. The fun's not just limited to this page, it's a great scene overall; the villainous group du jour has a helicopter outside delivering a villainous speech, but Taskmaster just talks over them (his word bubbles are crowding theirs out of the panel once or twice), berating Moon Knight for his fighting style and complaining that he's involuntarily absorbing a terrible moveset by fighting him.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Are we talking about how Taskmaster is the best?

Because he's totally the best.

(Secret Avengers #2)

Seriously I hope they never, ever ruin him by making him deadly serious or whatever. Even his appearance in Thunderbolts, Siege and whatnot ended up being hilarious because of his awesome superpower of getting the gently caress outta dodge whenever things look bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He has a fun little vignette in Marvel Heroes, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qQAK77Yt5c

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 17, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Have Taskmaster and Red Skull ever met?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always enjoy him and Deadpool.

From Dark Reign Deadpool #9

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Taskmaster is brilliant. Also brilliant is Fred Van Lente's Taskmaster miniseries, especially the village where everyone is Hitler:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Fereydun posted:

Seriously I hope they never, ever ruin him by making him deadly serious or whatever. Even his appearance in Thunderbolts, Siege and whatnot ended up being hilarious because of his awesome superpower of getting the gently caress outta dodge whenever things look bad.

I always loved his reaction when Osborn threatened to use The Void on Doom.

(Siege: The Cabal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Taskmaster in Osobrne's little cabal was a really interesting take on the character. Sure, he's a 'bad guy' but he just wants a nice slice of the cake, not to destroy the goddamn world. He was so far out of his depth that he couldn't even see the surface.

• Locked thread