Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

:golfclap:

Honestly I have to say that strikes me as very similar to the freedom in overall looks without quite as much bling. In particular the shade of blue used on the 'wings' seems to match almost exactly the Strike Freedom.

The x-shaped position of the wings and the four prongs on the v-fin both recall the Aile Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not a 1-for-1 but it really does resemble SEED designs. That may just mean they're going back to a similar aesthetic for the next show to try to sell more though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

The ankle... Guards? They look straight out of SEED.

I'm looking across the room at my RG Freedom Gundam, and the legs are just about exactly the same. The only difference is the paint job.

Midjack posted:

The x-shaped position of the wings and the four prongs on the v-fin both recall the Aile Strike.

I thought so too. Though the upper-shoulder fin things remind me of the Nu Gundam's bits.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The title with the kanji apparently translates into '1/144 Gundam Mobile', the same 'Mobile' in mobile suits. Do they use the same word mobile for mobile phones? Could it be a cellphone game or something?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A SEED movie wouldn't be bad, not after AGE.

And hey, it would get it out of the way, we get to laugh at the name of the infinite justice's upgrade (Eternal destined justice. :byodood:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

A SEED movie wouldn't be bad, not after AGE.

And hey, it would get it out of the way, we get to laugh at the name of the infinite justice's upgrade (Eternal destined justice. :byodood:)

I think you mean Strike Freedom Destiny :colbert:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Manifest Destiny and the Divine Impulse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Manifest Destiny's upgraded Wings of Light will leave tiny sparkles of light behind to confuse radar/damage enemies. It will be called the Trail of Tears.

EDIT: Man, now I'm kind of hoping this actually happens.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The Manifest Destiny's upgraded Wings of Light will leave tiny sparkles of light behind to confuse radar/damage enemies. It will be called the Trail of Tears.

EDIT: Man, now I'm kind of hoping this actually happens.

And you really don't want to get in front of the Divine Impulse's Full Burst Mode.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Someone (probably from pixiv) made this based on the picture. It looks like a clusterfuck, I hope the real design looks better. This design is way too busy and the chest doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the suit.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Red Bones posted:

It looks like a clusterfuck, I hope the real design looks better. This design is way too busy and the chest doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the suit.
You act like this is unusual for a SEED suit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Bones posted:

Someone (probably from pixiv) made this based on the picture. It looks like a clusterfuck, I hope the real design looks better. This design is way too busy and the chest doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the suit.

I do agree the limbs and torso colour schemes don't really mesh. Maybe it's a Core Block-style design with interchangeable limbs and backpack? :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of SEED, we've got the new unit for SEED Destiny HD:

Strike Gundam Ootori, a new thing for Cagalli.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

ImpAtom posted:

You must be mistaken. Cagalli doesn't get any kind of thing in Destiny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popehoist posted:

You must be mistaken. Cagalli doesn't get any kind of thing in Destiny.

I know, I'm shocked too. I don't even know where they're going to add this in because Cagalli deploys like once in the Strike Rouge and it isn't a "sell a new model kit" kinda scene.

Maybe they'll actually let her do poo poo in-between retconning it so that Stella trips into Kira's beam saber.

Edit: Wow, putting the Strike below the fanart of the new Gundam really drives home the similarities.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 15, 2013

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SRW needs the new units. They can't just keep reusing Destiny and Impulse forever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I see the Strike is trying its hardest to equal the RX-78-2 in MG variants.

I'm betting she uses it once than hands it off to Lacus.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 15, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

BlitzBlast posted:

Or Mwu. Now that would be funny.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

I know, I'm shocked too. I don't even know where they're going to add this in because Cagalli deploys like once in the Strike Rouge and it isn't a "sell a new model kit" kinda scene.

Kira is going to use it when he goes to get the Strike Freedom.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm thinking she gives it to Murrue, myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Kira is going to use it when he goes to get the Strike Freedom.

He turns the Strike blue there though and has to launch with that giant stupid rocket backpack to even get there. They could redo the entire scene but considering how kinda-lazy they were about Perfect Strike I doubt it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, guess I'll start the timer on how long this'll last before it gets shelved so Cagalli can continue her character devolution.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

oh boy a new suit for cagall to stand around and cry in.

It's such a shame, she was one of my favorite seed characters :(

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Monaghan posted:

oh boy a new suit for cagall to stand around and cry in.

It's such a shame, she was one of my favorite seed characters :(

Seed follows a very simple character rule where characters get progressively stupider the more screen time they get. Seed Destiny cut out the middle man and just made everyone stupid.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Reminds me of the X Gundam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clever Spambot posted:

Seed follows a very simple character rule where characters get progressively stupider the more screen time they get. Seed Destiny cut out the middle man and just made everyone stupid.

Most of the Minerva crew were perfectly reasonable, logical people until halfway through the series when they suddenly lost their protagonist status. Shinn was an angry, angry guy but he was a shockingly professional soldier who did his job and obeyed orders to the letter, with the sole exception of letting Stellar go which he was punished for and only let off because of Durandal. It was actually kind of refreshing to have a Gundam protagonist who wasn't filled with existential angst every time he had to shoot a guy after SEED. I think the only person on the Minerva who was really stupid/confusing before The Great Rewrite was Meyrin, who pulled a Reccoa and literally betrayed her nation, her friends, and her loving sibling because she had a then-unrequited crush on a guy.

Too bad about the series being awful. I really liked the Minerva crew as far as Gundam ship crews go.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

By professional you mean an emotionally broken child soldier destroying and killing anything and everything as an outlet for his pent up grief and rage? All under an extremely flimsy excuse of fighting for peace.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

By professional you mean an emotionally broken child soldier destroying and killing anything and everything as an outlet for his pent up grief and rage? All under an extremely flimsy excuse of fighting for peace.

Yeah... there was that one scene where he walked around gunning down soldiers on foot with his head vulcans. Not sure if that qualifies as professional.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kanos posted:

It was actually kind of refreshing to have a Gundam protagonist who wasn't filled with existential angst every time he had to shoot a guy after SEED.

Instead you have the guy filled with existential angst over his dead family.

I'm not saying it is not justified, and I'm not saying this makes him a bad character, but I am saying they're pretty much the same thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

^^^ He had a lot of personal baggage and a sad backstory but it didn't really define how he acted on any level besides his relationship with Stellar. ^^^

Lostconfused posted:

I watched through that horrible, god-awful series *twice* - once on my own when it was coming out and once to show a friend how loving awful it got - and your read doesn't really jibe with how he's portrayed in the show at all.

He's the designated pilot of a prototype Gundam. It's literally his job to kill and destroy everything that he's under orders to do. He was actually very much emotionally in control until the Stellar stuff happened, which is incidentally where the show completely dove off into shitville and never went back. He doesn't go completely apeshit and fly off the handle and go on a berserker vengeance spree the first couple of times he sees the Freedom even though it was *directly involved in the battle that killed his entire family*, nor does he ever really express a real desire for vengeance on it until Kira rams a beam saber into Stellar's face. He does throw himself wholeheartedly into studying with Rey on how to outsmart and beat it and takes a lot of relish in blowing it up, but A. It's literally the job he's assigned and not a personal whim and B. He's emotionally in control pretty much the entire time.

Shinn's major failing in the show is actually the opposite of most Gundam protagonists' approach to authority; he's actually *too* willing to toe the line and follow orders even when he's not 100% cool with them. This is actually a really unique approach. The normal Gundam approach to being given orders you don't like in the military is to cry, whine, and actively disobey on every level available to you until you get into an open fist fight with the person who gave you the orders(Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Banagher). The only time Shinn ever actively disobeys or even openly complains about orders is when he frees Stellar. He's totally loyal to Durandal up until the end because he's a soldier and that's his job and he believes Durandal is a good person with the world's best interests in mind even if he may personally think the methods are a little shady. That's what makes him pretty neat compared to most Gundam protagonists.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 16, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

He's the designated pilot of a prototype Gundam. It's literally his job to kill and destroy everything that he's under orders to do. He was actually very much emotionally in control until the Stellar stuff happened, which is incidentally where the show completely dove off into shitville and never went back.

I assume you're forgetting the scene where he's tearing into a bunch of ships while screaming in rage and everyone talks about how terrifying he is. It's certainly his job to kill people but they were pretty clear to frame it that he was going beyond "kill people" into "kind of excessive." SRW even introduces Amuro in SRWZ by having Shin flip out and attack him in that scene.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Shinn started the show still hanging on to and listening to his dead sisters voicemail (she had died over 5 years ago) and seemed right from the start to be actively enjoying killing, they should have sent him to be mentally reevaluated like 4 episodes in.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Caros posted:

Yeah... there was that one scene where he walked around gunning down soldiers on foot with his head vulcans. Not sure if that qualifies as professional.

We're talking about the soldiers who were forcing civilians to construct a base for them, yes?

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you're forgetting the scene where he's tearing into a bunch of ships while screaming in rage and everyone talks about how terrifying he is.

And this is the part right after ORB double crossed the Minerva and everyone Shinn knew was about to die, right? Last I checked everyone on the Minerva was impressed with him too.

Shinn definitely has issues (and a lot of them get worse literally right after Kira launches in the Freedom), but those scenes aren't exactly the best cases against him. I'd look to that legendarily dumb scene where Shinn basically has a mental breakdown in his first launch in the Destiny instead.

EDIT: V Well of course, but isn't this discussion over how professional/overemotional he is?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 16, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

We're talking about the soldiers who were forcing civilians to construct a base for them, yes?

And this is the part right after ORB double crossed the Minerva and everyone Shinn knew was about to die, right? Last I checked everyone on the Minerva was impressed with him too.

Shinn definitely has issues (and a lot of them get worse literally right after Kira launches in the Freedom), but those scenes aren't exactly the best cases against him. I'd look to that legendarily dumb scene where Shinn basically has a mental breakdown in his first launch in the Destiny.

"They did something bad that set Shinn off" doesn't actually mean he doesn't have issues. He's a hosed up guy who keeps it under control.

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V Well of course, but isn't this discussion over how professional/overemotional he is?

Yeah, but "he's good at killing" doesn't really mean it's professional when he goes on slaughtering sprees while screaming, even when it benefits his allies. There's a clear difference in how he acts when he's in control and how he acts when something really sets him off, he's just awful good at killing in both situations.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 16, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Yup. The soldiers who were in a base that was about to be captured by his forces in a matter of minutes as I recall. Shinn systematically levels a base of soldiers who for the purposes of fighting him, are effectively unarmed. He unloads on hanger bays, slashes up fuel tanks and guns down soldiers as they run away from him.

quote:

"They did something bad that set Shinn off" doesn't actually mean he doesn't have issues. He's a hosed up guy who keeps it under control.

More or less this. Shinn sometimes loses his poo poo and goes off the rails even in the early episodes of destiny. He's still leagues above someone like Kamille in terms of following orders, but some of the things he does are not what I'd consider professional for a soldier.

Then again, it'd be easier to ask who doesn't commit a few warcrimes in gundam.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 16, 2013

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Why is everyone referring to Shinn as protagonist, he was anti Kira and therefore antagonist. He even had the clear motivation to hate our beloved hero, what with Kira literally taking everything and everyone Shinn had ever loved away from him in front of his very eyes, and on two occasions to boot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Caros posted:

Yup. The soldiers who were in a base that was about to be captured by his forces in a matter of minutes as I recall. Shinn systematically levels a base of soldiers who for the purposes of fighting him, are effectively unarmed. He unloads on hanger bays, slashes up fuel tanks and guns down soldiers as they run away from him.

I rewatched the episode to check, and up to the very end those soldiers were firing on him with tanks and machine guns. This is also like two minutes after Shinn witnesses said soldiers gunning down civilians to prevent them from escaping.

I dunno, I guess I just think you'd have to be a robot to not get pissed off if all of that happened. This particular scene is one of the few where the protagonist gets chewed out for it too, though Athrun does it in a really stupid way because Seed Destiny.

EDIT: Admittingly, "robot" is a pretty good way to describe most professionals in anime.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I rewatched the episode to check, and up to the very end those soldiers were firing on him with tanks and machine guns. This is also like two minutes after Shinn witnesses said soldiers gunning down civilians to prevent them from escaping.

I dunno, I guess I just think you'd have to be a robot to not get pissed off if all of that happened. This particular scene is one of the few where the protagonist gets chewed out for it too, though Athrun does it in a really stupid way because Seed Destiny.

EDIT: Admittingly, "robot" is a pretty good way to describe most professionals in anime.

My favorite "Athrun limp-wristedly tries and fails to chew Shinn out" moment in the show was right after Shinn shoots down the Freedom. He comes back to the ship, everyone's cheering and clapping for him and is genuinely proud of him for beating the unbeatable Freedom, and then Athrun runs up and slaps him and starts yelling "WHY DID YOU KILL HIM HE WASN'T TRYING TO KILL YOU". Shinn just kinda sneers and goes "What? He was the enemy and I was ordered to take him down. Should I cry about it? Say a prayer for him?"

Part of this was SEED fatigue - Destiny came out immediately after a full series featuring a whiny, sobby, crybaby protagonist who turned into an emotionless robot - but I laughed out loud when I saw that and it kind of solidified my like of Shinn as a character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You guys are making me dislike Shinn less. Stop it. I might actually have to watch the last three or four episodes of Destiny that I skipped now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

You guys are making me dislike Shinn less. Stop it. I might actually have to watch the last three or four episodes of Destiny that I skipped now.

Now you can feel sympathy for Shinn as all his hopes and dreams and everything he's put his life into are dashed into pieces. Watch as his best friend, his commander, and the closest thing he's got to a father figure are killed by the man directly responsible for the death of his real family and Stellar. Absorb the pathos as Shinn is left broken and sobbing like a child in the arms of the only person left in the world who gives a drat about him while his entire life burns down around him due to the actions of the people who helped to ruin his life to begin with. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread