Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Does raiding affect the victims economy? Is the gold taken out of their treasury, or holding income reduced while it holds the looted status or something?
The actual looted status provides a tax malus for a while, as well as having a chance of destroying a building (or even the holding completely!) when it occurs. Even if you don't siege it, there's a tax malus for a less-than-full loot bar, so yes, it does affect the victim's economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Has anyone noticed any improvement to the portraits from the inclusion of that mod in the latest patch?

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I know this is a weird request for the ck2 thread and I'm sorry in advanced, but I have an injured back and a terrible desk chair and can't currently play ck2 very much (because there's no ipad version and I just can't sit in this chair for hours and this game requires a bit more than 15 minutes of play a day).

Can anyone recommend a chair with better than average back support so I can play my fav game more often? Relatively cheap suggestions because I have a new baby due any day now and can't afford a 500 dollar desk chair.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AfroSquirrel posted:

Not Muslim, but my first wife was a 'safe' nobody and I want her kids out of the way so my second wife's (Queen Skuld I of Scotland's) kids can inherit two kingdoms.

^Ah, okay. So I have two sons and three daughters ahead of the lucky lotto winner baby girl. If I take out the two sons with diplosassins and ship off the unlucky daughters in normal marriages, then the target daughter will inherit once she is married matrilinealy, right?

Wrong. It doesn't matter if a girl is married normally or not, your oldest daughter will inherit (except if you run ultimogeniture or elective/tanistry of course). You need to eliminate your daughters from your first marriage as well, or hope for a son from your second wife.

SkySteak posted:

How many King Titles can you have at once, as an Emperor before you run into penalties?

Basically none. The vassals of each kingdom will get a -20 wants kingdom title diplo hit. I can't recall if this is also true for your "primary" kingdom (where your capital is located), but this definitely applies for every other kingdom. You get no penalty for having too many kingdom titles, it will always be the -20 in the individual kingdoms you hold personally.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Wrong. It doesn't matter if a girl is married normally or not, your oldest daughter will inherit (except if you run ultimogeniture or elective/tanistry of course). You need to eliminate your daughters from your first marriage as well, or hope for a son from your second wife.

Basically none. The vassals of each kingdom will get a -20 wants kingdom title diplo hit. I can't recall if this is also true for your "primary" kingdom (where your capital is located), but this definitely applies for every other kingdom. You get no penalty for having too many kingdom titles, it will always be the -20 in the individual kingdoms you hold personally.

I can't be sure, but isn't it only vassals with certain traits that get the "desires kingdom" malus?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Allyn posted:

From the changelog for version 2.00:

quote:

- Cut most special Pagan CBs. Pagans can launch county conquests on a five-year cooldown timer but regular Pagan warfare will mostly be about raiding.

So yeah I think Wiz cut them.

Um, I'm pretty sure they're still here, because I'm playing the Karens in the latest CK2+ and, between Viking prepared invasions using rivers, adventurers, and also the loving Sunni Caliph I can never get a moment's breathing room.

I'm racing against time before the Seljuks show up and pretty sure I'm going to lose. :ohdear:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 16, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

Reveilled, I have my changes here, if you want the generalized missionaries.

I also made a couple of other adjustments in there:

I won't have a chance to playt his until tomorrow, but I want to thank you in advance.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm trying out Byzantines again after screwing up my Rome game by giving out Kingdoms. Already Mended the Schism with Basil before it even officially happened. Despite starting out smaller in 867, you have a lot more opportunities to expand. Southern Italy is ripe for the picking, and the Arabs aren't so big that punching the occasional hole in their empire to keep them weak isn't such a big deal. Everyone worth a drat converted, so I'm not gonna have much luck with Christian Holy Wars, but managed to vassalise a bunch of former xtian minors.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Hmm. There's another outcome, possibly. If I play as one of the unlucky sons, he should get some sort of claim to Scotland (if the ruler is his sister and not a theoretical brother), right? It'd be annoying, but I could probably take it by force.

Also, there's some achievements in one of the game's files. Any idea why they aren't live?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, in my excitement about the possibilities of an expanded and playable pagan Roman Empire, I had forgotten that I'm actually taking classes this summer.

Therefore, I have done jack squat with regards to that theoretical mod.

Is anyone else making such a mod? Does one exist?

Bonus points for a Roman Republic version.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Well, the Abbasids actually getting decadence invasions in the new patch has made my Karen game actually feasible! That had been my bottleneck up to this point.

They did eventually declare an invasion against me but since it happened later I was able to expand more I was able to get a white peace against them by forcing battles in the mountains at our border.

Since I couldn't ever attack the Abbasids unless there was either some kind of civil war going on or they were engaged in a big war with the ERE, after dealing with the Saffarids (and when I couldn't attack them until the 10 year cooldown wore off) I went north and started holy warring Cumania followed by the Black Sea duchies.

I reallllllllllly wish I could use the Caspian Sea as a waterway like the pagans can.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
So the AI did this. I need to prepare for African Norway.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 16, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

So a big thing that irritated me my last game was not being able to create certain kingdom titles, so I want to mod it so that the cultural and religious requirements to create a kingdom can be bypassed if you control 100% of its de jure territory. Every soul in Navarra swears fealty to me, so who would dare tell me I'm not their rightful king?

Anyway, this seems like the relevant part of landed_titles.txt:
code:
	k_navarra = {
		color = { 150 120 5 }
		capital = 152 # Navarra

culture = basque

# Creation/usurpation trigger
		allow = {
			culture = basque
			religion_group = christian
		}
I figure the basic logic would be this:
code:
	k_navarra = {
		color = { 150 120 5 }
		capital = 152 # Navarra

culture = basque

# Creation/usurpation trigger
		allow = {
			OR {
				AND {
					culture = basque
				}
				(something)
			}
		}
where "(something)" is Paradox-ese for "controls the whole damned kingdom already." Any help from more experienced modders? I've already modded the game to stop duchies from drifting around between kingdoms (due to the Norwegian Oxford situation last game), so if it comes to listing every county individually, I'm willing to stoop to that. Obviously I'll be doing this for Frisia and any other de jure kingdoms as well.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

AfroSquirrel posted:

Hmm. There's another outcome, possibly. If I play as one of the unlucky sons, he should get some sort of claim to Scotland (if the ruler is his sister and not a theoretical brother), right? It'd be annoying, but I could probably take it by force.

Also, there's some achievements in one of the game's files. Any idea why they aren't live?

No, the sons would only inherit their mother's claim, not their stepmother's. As for the achievements, they would probably be Paradox Connect achievements, like EU3's, except that Paradox Connect doesn't exist anymore.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nolanar posted:

So a big thing that irritated me my last game was not being able to create certain kingdom titles, so I want to mod it so that the cultural and religious requirements to create a kingdom can be bypassed if you control 100% of its de jure territory. Every soul in Navarra swears fealty to me, so who would dare tell me I'm not their rightful king?

where "(something)" is Paradox-ese for "controls the whole damned kingdom already." Any help from more experienced modders? I've already modded the game to stop duchies from drifting around between kingdoms (due to the Norwegian Oxford situation last game), so if it comes to listing every county individually, I'm willing to stoop to that. Obviously I'll be doing this for Frisia and any other de jure kingdoms as well.

code:
	AND = {
		has_landed_title = c_ (such and such)
	}

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

code:
	AND = {
	}

Thanks! Will this work if my vassals hold the titles, or do I have to have them in my demense? This is mainly about keeping my empire neatly divided into kingdoms.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nolanar posted:

Thanks! Will this work if my vassals hold the titles, or do I have to have them in my demense?

Hmm. I was thinking about that too. You could try:

code:

allow = {
	OR = {
		AND = {
			culture = basque
		}
  		OR = {
			AND = {
				has_landed_title = c_...
			}
			AND ={
				any_vassal = {has_landed_title = c_...}
				any_vassal = {has_landed_title = c_...}
			}
		}
	}
}
I think that'd work.

... or you could use "completely_controls = k_navarra". Yeah, that would probably be a lot less cumbersome. Somehow I forgot about that.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 16, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nolanar posted:

where "(something)" is Paradox-ese for "controls the whole damned kingdom already." Any help from more experienced modders?

I don't know what the command is, but if you have a look at the events for the Roman Empire regaining provinces, there is a command called something like "completely_controls" in those events which means that every single holding in the title is owned by you or your vassals.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I don't know what the command is, but if you have a look at the events for the Roman Empire regaining provinces, there is a command called something like "completely_controls" in those events which means that every single holding in the title is owned by you or your vassals.

DrSunshine posted:

... or you could use "completely_controls = k_navarra". Yeah, that would probably be a lot less cumbersome. Somehow I forgot about that.

Thanks again! That's exactly what I'm looking for. As a side note, is there a guide somewhere to explain the basics of scripting for these games? I get the logic bits that overlap from learning C++ in high school, but I don't understand the PREV/PREVPREV/FROM/ROOT system, and a library of conditions with explanations would be great. The Paradox forums seem to be down at the moment, but maybe there's something there?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

DrSunshine posted:

I've made a real breakthrough in events and laws modding!

I've figured out a way so that characters in realms running elective can be made to abdicate in favor of their successor. When a character takes to the throne, the game sets a kind of countdown timer that ticks after a set number of years. When it ticks down, the character receives an event where they abdicate to the next successor. Also, I've created a series of custom crown laws that allow the ruler to change the term limits of their rule, from four years to a maximum of life-appointments.

I still need to do testing on this to make sure it works nicely, but look forward to seeing it implemented in the next iteration of Sonendar!

This would be wonderful for the District of Columbia in a post-apoc NA mod.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nolanar posted:

Thanks again! That's exactly what I'm looking for. As a side note, is there a guide somewhere to explain the basics of scripting for these games? I get the logic bits that overlap from learning C++ in high school, but I don't understand the PREV/PREVPREV/FROM/ROOT system, and a library of conditions with explanations would be great. The Paradox forums seem to be down at the moment, but maybe there's something there?

I don't really understand the "PREV/FROM/ROOT" system either, and the closest thing to a library of conditions is Scopes,Conditions, and Commands. I've looked on the Paradox forums for a dictionary or bible that explains all this, and I've turned up jack diddly. I wonder if the Paradox Devs have some sort of document or bible which explains how this system works? If they do, I wish they'd give it to us.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hmm, I'm having some trouble with using the Subjugation CB. I'm currently King of Denmark, and want to use it on the King of Sweden. We're both pagan, and the Norse religion has not been reformed yet. What is keeping it from going off?

Also, where are the casus belli requirements in the game files? That might save some time rather than constantly asking questions.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

Hmm, I'm having some trouble with using the Subjugation CB. I'm currently King of Denmark, and want to use it on the King of Sweden. We're both pagan, and the Norse religion has not been reformed yet. What is keeping it from going off?

Also, where are the casus belli requirements in the game files? That might save some time rather than constantly asking questions.

Well, you can only use Subjugation once every ten years(or maybe it's once a lifetime now, I don't remember) unless you have the Become King ambition(which lets you use it as much as you want but only on people within the kingdom you want to become king of).

So, did you subjugate someone else?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

The file you want is at common\cb_types\00_cb_types.txt.

The key is that if you've launched a subjugation war that wasn't part of an ambition to become king, you can never do one again. Your son will have to do it. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but looking at the file, it might be that the Become King subjugations count, so even if you've only done those, you might be locked out. It's permanent, but character-based, so your heir will be able to do it once you die. If that's not it, it looks like if the target is already defending against a subjugation, you'll just have to wait your turn.

Edit: oh god the CB file has a PREVPREVPREV condition, what is going on

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've done a Subjugation before, but I thought that it was a 10-year time limit. I haven't kept count, but I've had two blots since my last one so something must have gone wrong (or it's now a lifetime thing).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So... did Wiz get rid of the Great Heathen Army in CK2+? Because starting up as any of the Ragnarssons now is an impossible battle against the 12k+ troops that England can muster (when all you seem to get is 3k?).

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
It does seem that loot springs out of thin air though. Maybe it is just SUPER EFFICIENT TAXATION.

Oh yeah, are prepared invasions worth anything by the time you are big enough to do one? Starting as Nantes I conquered Ireland before I noticed I could pull one off. I decided to aim it at West Francia. The people are trickling in, a lot of ships though. How does this work, will I need to declare war or will it happen automatically?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
What determines who's eligible for election and who isn't? I've got this awesome grandson that should be emperor after me but he doesn't show up in the list of candidates.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

I've done a Subjugation before, but I thought that it was a 10-year time limit. I haven't kept count, but I've had two blots since my last one so something must have gone wrong (or it's now a lifetime thing).

The fix patch they released changed it to a lifetime limit.

Belasarius posted:

It does seem that loot springs out of thin air though. Maybe it is just SUPER EFFICIENT TAXATION.

Oh yeah, are prepared invasions worth anything by the time you are big enough to do one? Starting as Nantes I conquered Ireland before I noticed I could pull one off. I decided to aim it at West Francia. The people are trickling in, a lot of ships though. How does this work, will I need to declare war or will it happen automatically?

You'll need to manually declare war before your (1 year? 2 year?) time limit runs out. The longer you wait, the more troops you get, though. They're totally worth it, though, since you can take out a rival and nearly double the size of your realm if you do it right. A century of forged claims and pretender recruitment drives can be completely avoided with a single massive war.

As for raiding, I'm pretty sure it damages tax revenue, so the assumption would be that you're burning down houses and villages that would otherwise get taxed over the next few years.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nutranurse posted:

So... did Wiz get rid of the Great Heathen Army in CK2+? Because starting up as any of the Ragnarssons now is an impossible battle against the 12k+ troops that England can muster (when all you seem to get is 3k?).

There was an issue concerning this when Wiz dropped the first revision of the latest patch, but he adjusted the army size in the last one. I think the odds are supposed to be even; it's just that the AI sucks at organizing their armies so the Norse often split up (probably due to Ivar's invasion of East Anglia and the Scandinavian brothers being too slow) and get murdered. I tried two games: one where the Norse lost brutally and one where Northrumbia fell but East Anglia held out.

Also, there's a tendency for Jylland to stage a prepared invasion of Mercia if the sons of Lodbrok succeed. Had it happen in both my current game and the older patch + compatibility hotfix.

ADD: BTW, for those running CK2+: has the issue with pagan rulers not forming duchies and eventually kingdoms been resolved? I'm around 900AD in my game, and so far only the Danes and the Norwegians have the territory to form their respective kingdoms. Unfortunately, both rulers haven't been forming duchies. I suspect it's because of the AI recognizing that it's stuck on Gavelkind and actively trying not to make duchies, and looting's effectiveness being reduced greatly and the AI not being able to get enough cash for duchies before they die.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 16, 2013

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I've tended to avoid Gavelkind, but I've been playing with it a lot with Old Gods thanks to the Norse, and how in the hell do you avoid massive meltdown when you're ruler dies and the heir takes over? On average relationships are below 0 even without the reign penalty and all it takes is one person to rebel and the entire kingdom sides behind them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

nessin posted:

I've tended to avoid Gavelkind, but I've been playing with it a lot with Old Gods thanks to the Norse, and how in the hell do you avoid massive meltdown when you're ruler dies and the heir takes over? On average relationships are below 0 even without the reign penalty and all it takes is one person to rebel and the entire kingdom sides behind them.

Reform your religion so you can choose better laws or go full :black101::ese: and kill off your unwanted sons. CK2 is already a pretty brutal game, but playing as a Norseman forces the game into overdrive.

toasterwarrior posted:

Helpful Stuff

Oh, ok. Well a quick edit to some files let me give the Ragnarssons some more troops, because, yeah. The AI sucks and they tend to split up, causing the viking invasion to fail miserably.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

nessin posted:

Well, the main question is, what's dragging down their opinion of you? Sometimes the character comes with some built-in maluses (like if the new king is a wrathful cruel heretic French moron), which pretty much means "your new king is crap, prepare for inevitable civil war." Not much you can do there. Otherwise, there are things you can try:

• Make sure your heir is well-educated. Their tutors will probably pass on their traits, culture, and religion to your kid. This is the main cause of lovely Heir Syndrome. Try to educate him yourself, unless you are also crap.
  • Convert to the appropriate religion and culture. There should be options for this under the decisions menu, though that might be CK+. People hate foreigners and infidels.
  • Distribute secondary titles. If you have too many duchies, people will hate you. If you're above your demense limit, people will hate you.
  • If you're an emperor, don't hang on to more than one kingdom title. Delegate! It's easier to deal with one king than a bunch of dukes who want to be king.
  • Placate ambitious vassals. Contrary to popular belief, ambitious vassals aren't always a colossal nightmare, and their massive opinion malus only shows up if they want something from you. If you're a king, make sure they have one (1) duchy, its de jure land, and nothing else. If you're an emperor, do the same with kingdoms (unless they're in your primary kingdom). If they're ambitious and have a claim on one of your titles, then they'll be implacable and should be dealt with harshly.
  • Figure out why people hate you. Sometimes it's just because you have control of all their baronies for no readily explainable reason. Fix what you can fix easily.
  • Give your heir his own area to rule. This nets him prestige and gold, which makes the transition easier. You should still be able to educate his kids if you keep an eye on him and ask nicely, to avoid lovely Heir Syndrome.
  • Never give claimants land, unless they're your kids. It only strengthens their power base, and makes it easier for them to screw you over.
  • Keep your other children weak. The last thing you want is to inherit and have your younger brother be your most powerful vassal. This should also keeps gavelkind working a little more sanely, since titles they already have are factored in when it's time to distribute your titles.
  • As the new ruler, throw a festival or feast or blot or something as soon as possible. This will net you some more prestige and boost everyone's opinion of you.
  • Get the gettable vassals. It's better to give out honorary titles to those half-dozen guys with -5 opinion than it is to try to placate that one guy with a -85 opinion.
  • If you do face a civil war, fight to completion. Don't white peace out or stab the faction leader unless things get really bad. This gets you the "crushed major rebellion" and "spared after civil war" opinion bonuses, and lets you imprison or weaken the major opponents.
  • If you start to lose a civil war, your priorities should be White Peace, then Stab Claimant, then Stab Faction Leader, in that order. Murder-based peace treaties don't give you the Crushed Rebellion modifier, and will basically just buy you time while they build another faction.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Another rule has one of my vassals in prison. Is there anything I can do to get them released?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You should have an "Ask to ransom" option either with the prisoner or the guy who holds your prisoner.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Someone on the official forums answered my question about scripting basics!

Meneth posted:

PREV means previous scope; used in conditions/commands it compares with the previous scope.
As an example: any_vassal = { any_realm_province = { religion = PREV } #Here, PREV checks the "any_vassal" scope, so it essentially checks if any province held by any vassal is the same religion as that vassal.
You can go up to four scopes back; PREVPREVPREVPREV.
FROM is the person or province that sent the event in the case of event modding. So if character 1 sends an event to character 2, then FROM refers to character 1. You can also use FROMFROM.
However, in the case of other modding like CBs and objectives and such, FROM and FROMFROM can mean entirely different things. In those files it's generally explained at the top of the file.
ROOT is whatever character or province is receiving the event. In the case of CBs, ROOT is the claimant.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

What determines who's eligible for election and who isn't? I've got this awesome grandson that should be emperor after me but he doesn't show up in the list of candidates.

I think non-landed candidates have to be either claimants or closest kin. They probably don't show up because their father is still alive.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I've been playing Project Balance as Byzantium, and my efforts to restore the Roman Empire have hit a brick wall. I control everything from Italy to Armenia, and the only duchies I need to complete my victory are Alexandria and Venice.

Unfortunately, 20 years ago, my ability to declare holy wars and imperial reconquest wars suddenly dried up. They appeared only inconsistently before, but now the one and only holy war CB I have access to is Moldavia. This is bizarre, because previously I was able to holy war Jerusalem away from the Abbasids without even bordering those provinces. I would fabricate a claim, but suddenly I'm only allowed to fabricate claims on counties I DIRECTLY border, another sudden shift. This means the process of fabrication could take centuries.

Worse yet, this means that I can no longer take Venice in any way, because it's not part of the de-jure kingdom of italy and I'm incapable of forging a claim. What the hell do I do?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Should I ever do a standard marriage with my female cousins? Im looking at the matrilineal tab and its all family members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

LowellDND posted:

Should I ever do a standard marriage with my female cousins? Im looking at the matrilineal tab and its all family members.

If both partners are of the same dynasty there's no difference between a regular and matrilineal marriage (well, except that in matrilineal marriages the children start at the mother's location with the mother's culture), so if you're already going to be marrying your cousins that checkbox is the least of your worries.

• Locked thread