Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

Chichevache posted:

If you enjoyed that, author Terry Pratchett did a one hour documentary about the right to end life in Switzerland and how he is exploring that option for his Alzheimer's. I am phone posting, so I can't provide the link, but it is free on YouTube. A possible :nms: you do watch a man die, but it is beautiful, peaceful, and absolutely heart wrenching. It is amazing and one of the few times in my adult life I've been brought to tears. Hell, it may even be on Netflix.

In a similar vein, there's a Frontline special on streaming called The Suicide Tourist that follows a Chicago man who travels to Switzerland to end his life (I don't recall exactly what illness he has). It features a scene very similar to one you described in your spoiler that is as depressing as it is uplifting. It explores the topic of assisted suicide with a pretty even hand, so I'd recommend it regardless of your stance on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Watched The Day of the Jackal last night. It's an interesting movie. It's a meticulously detailed thriller that manages to feel weighty and realistic, which is impressive, since on paper a movie about a super-assassin with crazy disguises shouldn't seem realistic. But it's a bit long, and it requires a lot of attention - there are a lot of long, wordless scenes. If you're not careful, it's easy to lose track of all of the subplots and similar-looking characters. It's also unambitious, for such a well-made movie - the characters are just sketches, although some of the actors manage to make up for that. But if you're a fan of those globe-trotting, slow-moving 60s and 70s thrillers, like I am, it's great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Day of the Jackal is one of those movies I watch and compare to something like, say, Arlington Road or Enemy of the State and think "they sure don't make 'em like they used to."

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Day of the Jackal is one of those movies I watch and compare to something like, say, Arlington Road or Enemy of the State and think "they sure don't make 'em like they used to."

I haven't seen Arlington Road since it came out, but I remembered it being pretty good. Does it not hold up?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

wafflesnsegways posted:

Watched The Day of the Jackal last night. It's an interesting movie. It's a meticulously detailed thriller that manages to feel weighty and realistic, which is impressive, since on paper a movie about a super-assassin with crazy disguises shouldn't seem realistic. But it's a bit long, and it requires a lot of attention - there are a lot of long, wordless scenes. If you're not careful, it's easy to lose track of all of the subplots and similar-looking characters. It's also unambitious, for such a well-made movie - the characters are just sketches, although some of the actors manage to make up for that. But if you're a fan of those globe-trotting, slow-moving 60s and 70s thrillers, like I am, it's great.

Sounds a lot like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I should check it out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Sadly not available on Netflix, but I'd recommend The Parallax View for another excellent 70's film in this vein.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ratedargh posted:

I haven't seen Arlington Road since it came out, but I remembered it being pretty good. Does it not hold up?

I like Arlington Road, it's one of the better movies of that type from the 90's but it has a completely different tone from something like DOTJ.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Is Silent Hill: Revelation really as terrible as the reviews make it sound?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Devil Wears Wings posted:

You'll get more amusement out of the reviews than the movie.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I enjoyed the parts where they weren't in Silent hill, which surprisingly was quite a bit of the movie. The main villain and about the last 30 minutes are complete garbage, but the time were its just following the main character's around her everyday life was good.

It's is a video game movie after all, don't go in expecting much.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Everyone loves Hard Target, but a better, although less insane, JCVD film is available on Netflix as well; Sudden Death. It's pretty much Die Hard during a hockey game, with similar pacing and plot threads (JCVD isn't the world's best dad, people on the outside are distrustful of him, etc.) There are some great set pieces, though, and watching Van Damme fight is always fun. The best scene involves Van Damme fighting a woman wearing a Pittsburgh Penguins mascot suit in a kitchen.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

It's terrible in that it's boring. Most of the movie is just wandering around Silent Hill, going through the motions of dull monster appearances with no real thrill or reason for why they happen.

The only cool thing in the film was a spider creature made out of manikin parts, but it's only on screen for less than five minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I'm a huge fan of the first one. I maintain that it's the best video game movie I've ever seen. But the 2nd one was a huge letdown after the first managed to be so interesting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I'm a huge fan of the first one. I maintain that it's the best video game movie I've ever seen. But the 2nd one was a huge letdown after the first managed to be so interesting.

Seconding this to the letter.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
The Silent Hill film franchise was pretty well done and enjoyable up until the last 5-10 minutes of the first movie. Everything after that point is lame.

Which is a shame, because for the most part the first movie did a great job replicating the atmosphere and psychological weirdness that were the best parts of the games.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

In a similar vein, there's a Frontline special on streaming called The Suicide Tourist that follows a Chicago man who travels to Switzerland to end his life (I don't recall exactly what illness he has). It features a scene very similar to one you described in your spoiler that is as depressing as it is uplifting. It explores the topic of assisted suicide with a pretty even hand, so I'd recommend it regardless of your stance on the topic.

Thanks for making my roommate and me cry for the past hour.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

On a note of bad movies you should not watch John Dies At The End is the most boring piece of poo poo with no plot or ending. It got a decent review so I decided to try it as the premise of it seemed like it had potential and was cited as a movie you will want to watch multiple times to catch things. I held out through the entire movie thinking it might finally decide on something, but it kept jumping everywhere with no real idea of anything. When it finally decides to end, it just stops in the middle of a scene and rolls credit with a final scene that has nothing to do with anything. I really haven't been so angry at a movie in a long time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Plus Sean Bean survives in the first film, it was the best plot twist.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Watched Mystery Men for nostalgia's sake. Holds up a lot better than I remember it. Definitely peak 90s style film though, still have no clue how it managed to get made in the first place.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I like Arlington Road, it's one of the better movies of that type from the 90's but it has a completely different tone from something like DOTJ.

Yeah, though I thought Zodiac captured the 70s feel really well, though that's not a political thriller. The show Rubicon (that ten people watched) is probably the closest I've seen.

Still need to check out DOTJ, though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Khorne Flakes posted:

On a note of bad movies you should not watch John Dies At The End is the most boring piece of poo poo with no plot or ending. It got a decent review so I decided to try it as the premise of it seemed like it had potential and was cited as a movie you will want to watch multiple times to catch things. I held out through the entire movie thinking it might finally decide on something, but it kept jumping everywhere with no real idea of anything. When it finally decides to end, it just stops in the middle of a scene and rolls credit with a final scene that has nothing to do with anything. I really haven't been so angry at a movie in a long time.

The JDATE movie has a lot of great moments, but I'd say it falls off a loving cliff right about when they get kidnapped and taken to the mall.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Thanks for making my roommate and me cry for the past hour.

That's pretty much the same reaction my wife and I had. Near the end (even though they show the scene at the very beginning of the special, it's more emotional after being given context) when Arthur is giving Craig the poisonous cocktail and says point blank, "If you drink this, you're going to die," we had to pause it to psych ourselves up for what we knew was coming. I think your heart has to be made of frozen depleted uranium to not be affected by it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ratedargh posted:

Yeah, though I thought Zodiac captured the 70s feel really well, though that's not a political thriller. The show Rubicon (that ten people watched) is probably the closest I've seen.

Still need to check out DOTJ, though.

The only thing I remember about Rubicon is that James Badge Dale starred in it. Nobody watched that thing.

Also, I don't mean this as a dis on Fincher but I almost feel like Zodiac is pastiche. Something about these throwback genre elements being amplified and stylized seems less organic, I've always felt it was a very showy homage to that kind of movie, if that makes sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 15, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

iv46vi posted:

Watched Mystery Men for nostalgia's sake. Holds up a lot better than I remember it. Definitely peak 90s style film though, still have no clue how it managed to get made in the first place.

Best part is Tom Waits saying that he's "just here for the (little old) ladies".

Wasn't Janeane Garafolo in it too? PreMenstrual Girl or something?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Zwabu posted:

Best part is Tom Waits saying that he's "just here for the (little old) ladies".

Wasn't Janeane Garafolo in it too? PreMenstrual Girl or something?

She was The Bowler; PMS Avenger is one of the many little superhero one-off jokes in the really unfortunate 'audition sequence' which included such hits as Dane Cook's shrill WaffleMan, the Ballerina Man gay joke, and the two Wonder Women who get into a catfight (because those bitchy women sure are competitive, amirite?)

I'm in the camp that says Mystery Men isn't as good as the sum of its parts - there is some great stuff in there, and the cast is uniformly excellent, but man the movie's aesthetic is ugly as poo poo, and some of the poorer jokes get really shoved down your throat.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The best parts are the bits with Captain Amazing. It's a sort of Idiocracy straight man humour in a Batman Beyond world aesthetics.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

iv46vi posted:

The best parts are the bits with Captain Amazing. It's a sort of Idiocracy straight man humour in a Batman Beyond world aesthetics.

Yes, the Kinnear scenes are absolute gold. We talk about it at length in our Alcohollywood on it, but I'd say it feels more like they're trying to reference the Schumacher Batman films with the look of the city (so much neon, the supremely Gothic buildings and gigantic statues, etc.).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A few things in Mystery Men fall short, but on the whole I think it's loving hilarious.

And come on, Geoffrey Rush takes the role of Cassanova Frankenstein by storm :allears:.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Mystery Men is a good movie and I love that Smash Mouth plays over the end credtis. So 90s.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I always lump Mystery Men in with Rat Race in the genre of 90's as gently caress ensemble comedies. Both involve Smash Mouth credits, too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Everyone loves Hard Target, but a better, although less insane, JCVD film is available on Netflix as well; Sudden Death. It's pretty much Die Hard during a hockey game, with similar pacing and plot threads (JCVD isn't the world's best dad, people on the outside are distrustful of him, etc.) There are some great set pieces, though, and watching Van Damme fight is always fun. The best scene involves Van Damme fighting a woman wearing a Pittsburgh Penguins mascot suit in a kitchen.
Sudden Death was rad as hell. Fire extinguisher blowgun, ice skate roundhouse, 101 ways to get injured in a commercial kitchen. You're right that it's basically Van Damme Does Die Hard, but hey, that ain't too bad. Bonus: the kids aren't super annoying.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david_a posted:

Sudden Death was rad as hell. Fire extinguisher blowgun, ice skate roundhouse, 101 ways to get injured in a commercial kitchen. You're right that it's basically Van Damme Does Die Hard, but hey, that ain't too bad. Bonus: the kids aren't super annoying.

The kitchen fight with the mascot is absolutely insane. And then there's a second kitchen fight. It's as if thought they ran out of ideas when they finished the first one, then the next day they got a note from a producer: WE NEED MORE KITCHEN FIGHTING, HERE ARE SOME OTHER THINGS IN THE KITCHEN THEY CAN FIGHT WITH and shoehorned a fight with Generic Henchman #3 in there.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

The only thing I remember about Rubicon is that James Badge Dale starred in it. Nobody watched that thing.

Also, I don't mean this as a dis on Fincher but I almost feel like Zodiac is pastiche. Something about these throwback genre elements being amplified and stylized seems less organic, I've always felt it was a very showy homage to that kind of movie, if that makes sense.

That's a fair assessment even though I don't agree. Zodiac hit everything right for me. I guess I never saw it as a series of winking nods to the time but was such a tightly woven story that fully absorbed me.

Rubicon is worth a look. Despite getting cancelled, it works as a standalone story arc. It didn't have the rug pulled out from under it entirely. Sure, they could have kept it going but it seems like they were more interested in telling one specific story as opposed to a continuous one over a series of years (looking at you, Carnivale!)

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Upstream Color

Holy poo poo. gently caress.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Samfucius posted:

I always lump Mystery Men in with Rat Race in the genre of 90's as gently caress ensemble comedies. Both involve Smash Mouth credits, too.

Rat Race ends in a loving Smash Mouth concert. That's important to remember.

Well not important.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010
The notoriously awful Miami Connection is on Instant, if you like that kind of thing.

The Netflix synopsis:

"A martial arts rock band goes up against a band of motorcycle ninjas who have tightened their grip on Florida's narcotics trade."

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Geographica posted:

The notoriously awful Miami Connection is on Instant, if you like that kind of thing.

The Netflix synopsis:

"A martial arts rock band goes up against a band of motorcycle ninjas who have tightened their grip on Florida's narcotics trade."

I can't remember the last time a movie left me as jaw-droppingly gobsmacked as this one did. It's completely sincere, which makes it's insanity so, so entertaining.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Barbarella is pretty much cheesy sci fi and "Isn't 60's Jane Fonda hot?", but it works because that's true.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The documentary special Russia's Toughest Prisons is worth it for the sheer :aaaaa: factor of, well, Russia's prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Geographica posted:

The Netflix synopsis:

Holy poo poo, yes.

• Locked thread