Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

This game looks like it's a lot of fun. Has anyone here bought/played it? It's the kind of game that is bound to have hilarious glitches, too.

I played and purchased it around Feb-March when they had a free weekend on Steam. It was fun for about a month or two; then the first content patch that was released kind of killed it. Substantial changes were made to the combat mechanics that threw off what balance the weapons and classes had on top of making it harder to play with high ping. There were a few glitches in the game, but they were hardly the hilarious kind. That's my impression at least, the thread in Games seemed to have the same overall attitude. I uninstalled it a while ago.

It was great fun while it lasted, though, some of the hardest I've ever laughed playing a video game just from the voice command system.

e: Some relevent content for the new page. Apologies if these were already posted.

Pikachu learning Fly in the middle of a SSBM round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4N3ZeFpNXw

A fine display of AI in Left 4 Dead 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyNS7ZdY1A

falconry has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

These are fun to see and all, interesting as well. But are they really THAT funny ?! I see some of these videos and people are loosing their poo poo, am I missing something ?

I'm not certain, but I think for me it's the absurdity of a piece of media designed to be an immersive experience having completely immersion-breaking insane things happening. Imagine a movie or documentary where a bunch of knights leap about the battlefield like the Hulk, flailing at each other and screaming in terror the whole time. Or where two characters have a conversation that looks like this, or the hero fights a sabre-tooth tiger and then watches baffled as it soars majestically into space. Of course that doesn't really explain why I laugh at the SNES ones as well. All I know is that I laugh, really.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's one I encountered years ago. This was the beginning of a custom mission I was making for ArmA 2. While the team of human players was off playing in a different part of the map, this "escaping diplomat" was supposed to get into the helicopter and start flying to a specific location. The ultimate goal of the mission was to find and kill the diplomat about an hour down the line. I kept finding that about 15 seconds after starting the mission, it would tell me that the diplomat had been killed and the mission was complete. I had no idea what was going on until I decided to spawn myself next to the civilian and his helicopter to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUHJDS0I0w

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

These are fun to see and all, interesting as well. But are they really THAT funny ?! I see some of these videos and people are loosing their poo poo, am I missing something ?

It's mostly the fact that, regardless of what crazy thing has messed up, the game will tolerate that thing and just try to keep going.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's mostly the fact that, regardless of what crazy thing has messed up, the game will tolerate that thing and just try to keep going.

Vinny's corruptions are great examples of this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2house2fly posted:

I'm not certain, but I think for me it's the absurdity of a piece of media designed to be an immersive experience having completely immersion-breaking insane things happening. Imagine a movie or documentary where a bunch of knights leap about the battlefield like the Hulk, flailing at each other and screaming in terror the whole time. Or where two characters have a conversation that looks like this, or the hero fights a sabre-tooth tiger and then watches baffled as it soars majestically into space. Of course that doesn't really explain why I laugh at the SNES ones as well. All I know is that I laugh, really.

All humor is really a violation of expectation when you get down to it. This is the interactive equivalent of a record scratch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

All humor is really a violation of expectation when you get down to it. This is the interactive equivalent of a record scratch.

One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips:

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Lizard Wizard posted:

Unlike, say, Rise of the Triad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOmOrWSfD8
In my entire life, I have never seen any game engine poo poo the bed so majestically.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

falconry posted:

A fine display of AI in Left 4 Dead 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyNS7ZdY1A

Cooooooooaaaaach!! :ohdear:

If only he could fly like a beautiful bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohucvfRHhTI
Unbound by the Earth, free to sing its soothing call from the very heavens.

And some modding glitches -
Been doing these two creature mods, one of them had better coding, so I transfered the code to the other creature, however, I forgot to remove the scaling code from the other guy, and was rewarded with a face-full of skeleton dong.

(Skeletons do not have dongs)

Using random objects as armor.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Jun 8, 2013

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Rujo King posted:

Unlike, say, Rise of the Triad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOmOrWSfD8
In my entire life, I have never seen any game engine poo poo the bed so majestically.

I don't understand what's happening in that video, I'm afraid. What was the blue pillar thing?

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Alien Arcana posted:

I don't understand what's happening in that video, I'm afraid. What was the blue pillar thing?

The ROTT engine was one of the first game engines to introduce walls that could move horizontally, on paths set by the level designer. If the path was incomplete, the wall would keep moving and eventually leave the bounds of the map, throwing a "Pushwall attempted to escape" error.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A while back I replayed Half-Life 2: Episode One hoping to get a certain achievement, "The One Free Bullet". It requires you to only shoot one bullet over the course of the game, though I'm reasonably certain rockets and crossbow bolts are exempt from the requirement. Problem is there's tons of enemies to be had, and I couldn't keep up without, well, firing a ton of bullets. In the final scene after boarding the train, I decide to throw a grenade off the back of the train just for giggles while Alyx is talking. The grenade didn't clear the train, and Gordon fell over dead while the train zoomed off with his corpse.

It was at this point that I spontaneously got the achievement.

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

A while back I replayed Half-Life 2: Episode One hoping to get a certain achievement, "The One Free Bullet". It requires you to only shoot one bullet over the course of the game, though I'm reasonably certain rockets and crossbow bolts are exempt from the requirement. Problem is there's tons of enemies to be had, and I couldn't keep up without, well, firing a ton of bullets. In the final scene after boarding the train, I decide to throw a grenade off the back of the train just for giggles while Alyx is talking. The grenade didn't clear the train, and Gordon fell over dead while the train zoomed off with his corpse.

It was at this point that I spontaneously got the achievement.

That was a tricky achievement to get. You had to hold your nerve a few times and avoid reaching for the smg. For anybody who hasn't done this yet, the one bullet is used to break a lock on the door of the room you first get the hand gun in, I didn't realize this at first and spent ages looking around for some other way to break the lock other than shooting out the lock.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

twosideddice posted:

That was a tricky achievement to get. You had to hold your nerve a few times and avoid reaching for the smg. For anybody who hasn't done this yet, the one bullet is used to break a lock on the door of the room you first get the hand gun in, I didn't realize this at first and spent ages looking around for some other way to break the lock other than shooting out the lock.

So you basically can't fire any bullets ever at enemies because you use the bullet on a lock? Wow.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

YellerBill posted:

So you basically can't fire any bullets ever at enemies because you use the bullet on a lock? Wow.

You're supposed to use the gravity gun to clonk dudes upside the head with random bits of trash lying around. Cinder blocks flying at 90 miles an hour make unsurprisingly effective weapons.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

Male Man posted:

You're supposed to use the gravity gun to clonk dudes upside the head with random bits of trash lying around. Cinder blocks flying at 90 miles an hour make unsurprisingly effective weapons.

A lot of damage can be done with just the gravity gun. I figured getting through Ravenholm in HL2 only using the gravity gun would be difficult. Then I learnt why there are so many jigsaw blades lying around.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Male Man posted:

You can also use rockets, grenades and crossbow bolts, though all three are relatively rare, ammo-wise.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I completely forgot about the Gravity Gun. That thing owns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not as much fun (or as frustrating) as the gnome achievement in Episode 2.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I've played through HL2 and both episodes using only the gravity gun (and rockets for gunboats/striders that you have to kill) (obviously excepting the pre-gravity-gun parts of HL2). It's easier than you might think.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've played through HL2 and both episodes using only the gravity gun (and rockets for gunboats/striders that you have to kill) (obviously excepting the pre-gravity-gun parts of HL2). It's easier than you might think.

I can imagine. But I'm still baffled that I got that achievement. It's like the game didn't know what to do and just gave it to me.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Jun 15, 2013

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

haveblue posted:

Not as much fun (or as frustrating) as the gnome achievement in Episode 2.

I tried that one, but drat if it wasn't frustrating as hell. I just ended up giving up. I should probably go back and do that one rainy weekend once the animal crossing love has started to wear off.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

twosideddice posted:

I tried that one, but drat if it wasn't frustrating as hell. I just ended up giving up. I should probably go back and do that one rainy weekend once the animal crossing love has started to wear off.

Make sure you don't forget to close the rocket door and then save over all your files so you have to do it again. Because I heard that sucks. I heard it from me. kill me

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Odd posted:

Make sure you don't forget to close the rocket door and then save over all your files so you have to do it again. Because I heard that sucks. I heard it from me. kill me

It's happened to me twice. :shepicide:

Replaying episode 2 without the gnome now just doesn't feel right.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Gnome Chompski, transporting him can be a little dangerous.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

In my runthrough of MGS3 HD Snake got his nose pierced during the fight against The Fear and he kept it in for the entire game.

The bolt didn't show up in the med screen or during cutscenes but it was a cool emergent example of how much of a badass Snake is,

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Rare Collectable posted:

In my runthrough of MGS3 HD Snake got his nose pierced during the fight against The Fear and he kept it in for the entire game.

The bolt didn't show up in the med screen or during cutscenes but it was a cool emergent example of how much of a badass Snake is,

Hah! Everytime I play that fight Snake gets shot in the dick repeatedly and nowhere else I have no idea.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Hah! Everytime I play that fight Snake gets shot in the dick repeatedly and nowhere else I have no idea.

Probably deliberate at Kojima's request.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rare Collectable posted:

I loving hate that 'i took an arrow to the nose' meme.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
If only the could have recorded all of Snakes lines with his voice actors nose pinched when something like this happens.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rare Collectable posted:

Yeah if you get an arrow stuck in you during the Fear fight and don't remove it eventually the game kind of forgets it's there and it disappears from the medical screen but the actual arrow stays stuck in you forever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Haruharuharuko posted:

That reminds me of playing Oblivion on a really really hard difficulty and going up against archers. You'd need to wail on them so long you'd end up having like 50 arrows sticking out of you. 1/3 of them would be at odd angles in random places, 2/3 of them would be in your dick.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah if you get an arrow stuck in you during the Fear fight and don't remove it eventually the game kind of forgets it's there and it disappears from the medical screen but the actual arrow stays stuck in you forever.

I made a point of never removing any arrows during the Fear fight. The thought of Snake running around like a human porcupine amuses me far more than it rightly should.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That reminds me of playing Oblivion on a really really hard difficulty and going up against archers. You'd need to wail on them so long you'd end up having like 50 arrows sticking out of you. 1/3 of them would be at odd angles in random places, 2/3 of them would be in your dick.

After the Sniper got a bow and arrow in TF2, they reused part of the design when they gave the Medic a crossbow, which both does damage when hitting enemies and heals your teammates if you hit them with it. That means you can continually shoot a teammate and make them look like a human pin cushion. :buddy:

In any case, I started playing through Dead Space 3 on PC, and while it's generally pretty fun, you can tell it's one of those cases where the developers were under pressure to make a bigger game than they were comfortable with. Because it's pretty drat buggy. I took an elevator into a room just under the one I was in, and the whole thing didn't load in until I went out and came back in. Also it leads to gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Hx043D_0E

A save/load pass (quitting out and loading back in every time there's an autosave) is supposed to prevent this sort of thing, but I guess they didn't have time!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Fixing a quest mod I made awhile ago, so I was playing through it to see if everything's working fine, about mid-way through the quest, I see something in the distance...

What the gently caress.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

scarycave posted:

Fixing a quest mod I made awhile ago, so I was playing through it to see if everything's working fine, about mid-way through the quest, I see something in the distance...

What the gently caress.

Reminds me of that one bit from Spec Ops. Did you try firing blindly? That always works for me.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Haruharuharuko posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

:eng101:
In most games, the enemies fire at the character's origin to avoid silly-looking misses that result from the target being in any number of poses. The origin is typically in the middle of the character's bounding box, 'round about the tailbone or dick region.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

scarycave posted:

What the gently caress.

Does this quest happen to take place in the Exclusion Zone?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In The Last Of Us, when you're hiding in cover the AI cannot see your NPC partners- but they can still collide with them. I just spent 45 seconds watching a guy trying to walk through a doorway, not realizing that he was making no progress because Ellie was crouching in his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That sounds very exploitable.