Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Let's face it, it's also a numbers game. A huge percentage of motorcycle riders ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles, so you're always going to be more likely to hear a dumb comment from an owner somewhere. My quick math is likely horribly wrong, but if only 10% of all Harley-Davidson riders said nothing but dumb things, while 25% of all Yamaha owners also spoke like idiots, you'd still encounter twice as many idiot HD speakers as Yamaha speakers.

This math also counts as stupid motorcycle related poo poo.

SimplyCosmic fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What color is your math, though? This will determine how fast it is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pope Mobile posted:

What color is your math, though? This will determine how fast it is.

That question doesn't matter as much as these questions:

1. Is it made in :911:?
2. Can I buy a t-shirt, bandanna, pickup, and coffee cup with your math on it?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Which energy drink sponsors your math team?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Personally I think all 2 wheeled vehicles are awesome, but the "Harley Lifestyle" some HD riders buy into is so lame and so tangentially related to the bikes themselves it makes me sick. Here's an HD story that defends HD riders. Sort of.

A friend of mine rides a black cherry Streetglide. My other friends were making fun of his "purple" bike. I rhetorically asked them what kind of bikes they ride, since they are the kind of people who won't ride based on wife scrutiny alone. That shut them up, but only temporarily. They then started making fun of how he was "going to die on that thing" and how "he shouldn't be doing that with a kid" etc, etc. My friends are not in the best physical shape and are more likely to die of a heart attack or heat stroke on one of their beloved golf courses that this guy is to die on his Harley. People who don't ride LOVE to cherry pick their insults.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Yesterday I met a buddy of mine at a steakhouse for lunch. I was sitting on my bike in the parking spot texting him when I noticed that the truck pulling out of the space next to me had stopped in front of me and both people were looking at me. They weren't old, but they looked like they'd just passed middle age in the least graceful way. They woman in the passenger seat leaned out the window and asked, "Hey what kind of bike is that?"

"Harley Davidson"

The driver yelled out "She thought it was a HONDA!"

"No I didn't!"

As they started to drive away, the driver yelled out "Yes she did!" and started laughing at her.

I don't even know what to take away from that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Strife posted:

Yesterday I met a buddy of mine at a steakhouse for lunch. I was sitting on my bike in the parking spot texting him when I noticed that the truck pulling out of the space next to me had stopped in front of me and both people were looking at me. They weren't old, but they looked like they'd just passed middle age in the least graceful way. They woman in the passenger seat leaned out the window and asked, "Hey what kind of bike is that?"

"Harley Davidson"

"No I didn't!"

As they started to drive away, the driver yelled out "Yes she did!" and started laughing at her.

You obviously don't have enough chrome.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Strife posted:

"Harley Davidson"

"No I didn't!"

Is the joke on the passenger, for mistaking God's Bike for some Jap POS, or on you, for having a Harley that is so indistinguishable from The Enemy?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Strife posted:

"Harley Davidson"

"No I didn't!"

"But he looked like one of the nicest people."

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

When I pulled into Mods v. Rockers, the dude asked:

:human being: "What kind of bike is that?"

:frogc00l: "1978 Suzuki"

:human being: "OK. Well the Jap bikes are over there to the right."

:frogc00l: "You mean the JapaNESE bikes go there."

:human being: "Yeah. Japanese bikes on the right, British/Italian in the middle, American on the left, and German bikes in that space."

:frogc00l: "Got it. Working bikes on the right. Parts bikes in the other sections."

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ha, nice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tamir Lenk posted:

When I pulled into Mods v. Rockers, the dude asked:

:human being: "What kind of bike is that?"

:frogc00l: "1978 Suzuki"

:human being: "OK. Well the Jap bikes are over there to the right."

:frogc00l: "You mean the JapaNESE bikes go there."

:human being: "Yeah. Japanese bikes on the right, British/Italian in the middle, American on the left, and German bikes in that space."

:frogc00l: "Got it. Working bikes on the right. Parts bikes in the other sections."

Thread goes meta again.

The worst people to talk to are the guy who Used To Ride Bikes. He's always a clueless dickbag because the last time he wobbled around on two wheels was in 1992 on a clapped out gb400.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 17, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

Thread goes meta again.

The worst people to talk to are the guy who Used To Ride Bikes. He's always a clueless dickbag because the last time he wobbled around on two wheels was in 1992 on a clapped out gb400.

This is my dad. He bought a Honda 350 back in the 70s, got intimidated by big trucks, and then gave it up. He then took and failed the MSF back in the 90s. I think he doesn't see the appeal, and can't see how anybody would.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

This is my dad. He bought a Honda 350 back in the 70s, got intimidated by big trucks, and then gave it up. He then took and failed the MSF back in the 90s. I think he doesn't see the appeal, and can't see how anybody would.

On the flip side, my best friend's uncle is the complete opposite. Gave up riding because of kids, etc, but still loves bikes, still enjoys chatting about them. Rode a Bultaco Metralla back in the day, so that pretty much says it all.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

This is almost my step-dad. He used to have a CB350 back in the 70's when he was a Marine in Okinawa, and he is still convinced that bikes will jump up and try to kill you if you happen to get too close to them in a parking lot.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Used To Ride Bikes

That's pretty much me at the moment, but on the flip side (similar to Z3n's friend). I happily chatted to a guy (with full gear, awesomely) in a carpark outside my local bakery the other week. Talked about other bikes, designs, etc. It was good. I miss it. :(

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I don't mind talking to "Used To Ride Guy" as long as he isn't "Rode For a Couple Weeks to Piss Off Parents/Girlfriend/Wife Guy". Some people have a passion for motorcycles, others see it as a fashion statement or way to deal with their midlife crisis. Or worse, a way to get laid.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gweenz posted:

...others see it as a fashion statement or way to deal with their midlife crisis. Or worse, a way to get laid.

You're most likely going to get this because that's what motorcycles are in the US. They're vehicles that are, by and large, treated as toys rather than serious forms of transport.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

You're most likely going to get this because that's what motorcycles are in the US. They're vehicles that are, by and large, treated as toys rather than serious forms of transport.

Eh, you say that like it's a bad thing. The US is a land of big roads, big vehicles and cheapish gas run by a bunch of scared, fat, old, passive aggressive white people. Bikes are by their nature impractical dangerous things driven by people that are slightly "off". Nothing wrong with that, I'll take them remaining in a "niche"/toy environment. I'd rather people continue to make an actual decision to get a bike rather than people trying to turn them into toyota corollas.

Besides, I'd rather hang out and party with a midlife crisis on a Panigale than some brokeass kid on a POS 15 year old EX500, 250 or SV650 any day.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nothing says fun like desperate posing, thats what I say!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ThatCguy posted:

Besides, I'd rather hang out and party with a midlife crisis on a Panigale than some brokeass kid on a POS 15 year old EX500, 250 or SV650 any day.

The brokeass kid is probably going to be a hell of a lot more fun to talk to. And I say this as someone nearing 40 - most guys in a midlife crisis are douchey shits with no personality; you're better off avoiding them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I read this like this

Z3n posted:

Nothing says fun like desperate posting, thats what I say!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I read this like this

Yeah its still true.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

The brokeass kid is probably going to be a hell of a lot more fun to talk to. And I say this as someone nearing 40 - most guys in a midlife crisis are douchey shits with no personality; you're better off avoiding them.

Eh, based on experience, stopping at gas stations and poo poo trying to BS with the younger 20-somethings, nope. It's like a thousand yard autistic stare.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I dunno, poseurs are lame, but they're still riding. So there's that, but I do have to admit if you're not interested in the skills part of riding and would rather push a rolling couch very slowly I'm less inclined to talk to you and almost certainly going to aggressively pass you. I have a lot more respect for the guy on the beat up POS who really knows how to make it move and is concerned with skills as opposed to branding than Yuppie Ducati dude or Die-hard HD guy.

Also, whats up with dickwads who are just doing their cruising thing, see you fly up behind them, and then just hold position so you can't pass them on the straights? When I'm on my slow-rear end DRZ I always pull to the right and wave the sportbikes ahead, they get to have their fun and it's no skin off my nose.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I dunno, poseurs are lame, but they're still riding. So there's that, but I do have to admit if you're not interested in the skills part of riding and would rather push a rolling couch very slowly I'm less inclined to talk to you and almost certainly going to aggressively pass you. I have a lot more respect for the guy on the beat up POS who really knows how to make it move and is concerned with skills as opposed to branding than Yuppie Ducati dude or Die-hard HD guy.

Also, whats up with dickwads who are just doing their cruising thing, see you fly up behind them, and then just hold position so you can't pass them on the straights? When I'm on my slow-rear end DRZ I always pull to the right and wave the sportbikes ahead, they get to have their fun and it's no skin off my nose.

Because you would be beating them. There are winners and losers on the road and you don't want to be a loser, man!

Get a busa, attain unpassable supremacy, or forefeit your manhood. Simple.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Because you would be beating them. There are winners and losers on the road and you don't want to be a loser, man!

Get a busa, attain unpassable supremacy, or forefeit your manhood. Simple.

The busa thing doesn't work.

As a ZX-14 rider, it's actually really annoying because every idiot wants to prove how fast they are by "beating" me.

Fartcan civcs are by far the worst at wanting to "race". It's especially annoying if I'm out with my GF on the back and they pull up next to me at a light revving their offensively loud 1.4L at me before peeling away in their 17 second car. (Note the 17s is not an exaggeration. Stock Civics are 17s cars.)

Same poo poo on the highway - and really I don't care if you are riding a busa. It really does seem like some Busa riders (and I'm sure many ZX-14) riders feel like it's "Defend Your Bike's Honor!" time the instant they encounter a Busa/ZX-14 - they just HAVE to pass it - at 180. (Bonus points if wearing a chrome helmet.)

I love the bike but drat I've had more dumbass encounters on it in 3 months of ownership than in my 4 years of riding a Sprint/SV650.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FileNotFound posted:

The busa thing doesn't work.

As a ZX-14 rider, it's actually really annoying because every idiot wants to prove how fast they are by "beating" me.
I notice that on my C14 with surprising regularity too. Squealing of tires at the lights is commonplace.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think a large factor of H-D snobbishness is that such "elitism" is a major H-D selling point. H-D doesn't sell their bikes based on performance or comfort, but on intangibles like freedom and thunder. Here are some excerpts from their own sales manual. Much is devoted to getting the prospective customer seen on an H-D bike.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

MoraleHazard posted:

I think a large factor of H-D snobbishness is that such "elitism" is a major H-D selling point. H-D doesn't sell their bikes based on performance or comfort, but on intangibles like freedom and thunder. Here are some excerpts from their own sales manual. Much is devoted to getting the prospective customer seen on an H-D bike.

Holy crap. Those things are like my least favorite things about riding. Lets go for a ride *crawls through busy congested streets to get to a store with an overly crowded parking lot so people will see how cool I am*

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Holy crap. Those things are like my least favorite things about riding. Lets go for a ride *crawls through busy congested streets to get to a store with an overly crowded parking lot so people will see how cool I am*

You forgot *use more gas making noise while stationary than moving*

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

opengl128 posted:

You forgot *use more gas making noise while stationary than moving*

"Be sure to bring up, multiple times, that no other motorcycle brand is real and their rider's have vaginas"

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I read a YouTube comment last night where a guy said sport bike riders actually want to ride Harleys but they're too scared. Sadly he did not elaborate on this line of reasoning.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've seen the women who sit on the back of those things. You're drat right I'm scared.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Whichever of the three bikes you like to ride, Harley, Crotchrocket, or Vespa, I just can't imagine a salespoint being to drag the person through crowded streets and then go sit in a parkinglot for 10 minutes on a faux water break to show them how cool they will be.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

bigbillystyle posted:

Whichever of the three bikes you like to ride, Harley, Crotchrocket, or Vespa, I just can't imagine a salespoint being to drag the person through crowded streets and then go sit in a parkinglot for 10 minutes on a faux water break to show them how cool they will be.

It doesn't make sense to you or other rational people because you're not the target demographic. Either that, or you just hate freedom.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Abe Froman posted:

It doesn't make sense to you or other rational people because you're not the target demographic. Either that, or you just hate freedom.

I own a HD. I would be pissed if some guy did this to me.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

The sales guys prefer crowded streets where the HD faces less risk of any other bike pulling along side at a stop and immediately disappearing when the light turns green.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Didn't mean to imply that all Harley owners fall into that category. There's plenty of good reasons to own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a Ducati owner :smug:, I'd be quite happy to take a test ride to a cool coffee shop and sit outside and let everyone chat me up about my sexy bike.

• Locked thread