Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ryanbruce posted:

Anyone know what these circumstances are? My friend is using an old GNEX because she couldn't handle her EVO Shift (maybe it was a Knight?) anymore.

Her contract is up in November tho, so I doubt they care about her.

GNex isn't WiMAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
So could I reactivate my old EVO 4G and suddenly get an upgrade early? I have a feeling no but what the heck.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

SeaborneClink posted:

GNex isn't WiMAX

Correction: Nexus S.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bewbies posted:

So I just got a Galaxy S4 yesterday and lo and behold Foxfi which is like half the reason I even have a cellphone doesn't work.
I'm going to be honest, I wouldn't "root" the S4 unless you're well-versed in what it means to do so, and you're willing to engage in a "relationship" with your phone.

Rooting the device isn't that easy, and if it is, it's only deceptively so. It also breaks the OTA update mechanism in ways that no past device has, and that few folks sufficiently understand.

That said, you're absolutely welcome to root the device. You should just, know this, before you find yourself in the kind of relationship with your phone that you weren't really looking for.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So after a week of telephone tag with Sprint, I finally got them to email me for confirmation for the Airrave. Except it's not from sprint, it's from an email address at teleperformance.com. Is this normal? My gmail account flagged it as a phishing atttempt/spam (probably because she asked for my PIN and security question). Needless to say, I'm sketched out and I don't want to give this person my account info.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

What are the odds that a scammer would just happen to email you a confirmation for an Airrave randomly, at the exact time you expected one? Come on.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm going to be honest, I wouldn't "root" the S4 unless you're well-versed in what it means to do so, and you're willing to engage in a "relationship" with your phone.

Rooting the device isn't that easy, and if it is, it's only deceptively so. It also breaks the OTA update mechanism in ways that no past device has, and that few folks sufficiently understand.

That said, you're absolutely welcome to root the device. You should just, know this, before you find yourself in the kind of relationship with your phone that you weren't really looking for.

I don't really understand what this means. Are you saying I should just not try and get the hotspot to work?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

td4guy posted:

What are the odds that a scammer would just happen to email you a confirmation for an Airrave randomly, at the exact time you expected one? Come on.

That's what I was thinking too, but the email is really poorly worded and why would Sprint employees use a non-Sprint email for official business? It just didn't add up.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bewbies posted:

I don't really understand what this means. Are you saying I should just not try and get the hotspot to work?
He's saying that you will never again be able to update Android when Sprint pushes the new version as available. And you run the risk of breaking stuff. You'll need to familiarize yourself with technical phone maintenance procedures and stuff. Are you willing to take on that responsibility in exchange for the freedom of being rooted?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12529

Anyone who has a WiMax phone can leave or upgrade .

I'm also curious how this works as I'm on an Evo3D and my wife is on an original Evo4g. Although with our agreements up mid July I have my doubts they would give us a free upgrade.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bewbies posted:

I don't really understand what this means.
Which is exactly my point. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and why I wouldn't root an S4. It's asking for trouble later on.

bewbies posted:

Are you saying I should just not try and get the hotspot to work?
How much do you actually use it? The official hotspot plan can be turned on and off at any time, and the cost is prorated. If you only need it for a weekend, that's by far the easiest route.

If you can get by with USB tethering, just use PdaNet or similar. Alternatively FoxFi may update to support the S4, but that depends whether it's a simple compatibility issue or the S4's security infrastructure is blocking it from working.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

He's saying that you will never again be able to update Android when Sprint pushes the new version as available.
Right now it's not "never", but installing an OTA involves "unrooting" the device, checking download mode repeatedly to make sure you're really-honest-to-goodness official, then applying the update, then rooting again. Also you have to partial-nandroid or TiB all your stuff if you don't want to lose it.

And even then, it's incredibly easy on the S4 to "partial update" which does break all subsequent OTA updates until fixed. Oh and there's no official stock tar, just one some guy made from bad dumps.

Edit: Basically everyone who has rooted an S4 while on the factory release firmware (MDC), and applied the current OTA update (MDL) in a custom recovery is jacked up, but they won't actually know it until the next OTA comes out, at which point it'll fail to install en masse.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 15, 2013

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

FlyingCheese posted:

So after a week of telephone tag with Sprint, I finally got them to email me for confirmation for the Airrave. Except it's not from sprint, it's from an email address at teleperformance.com. Is this normal? My gmail account flagged it as a phishing atttempt/spam (probably because she asked for my PIN and security question). Needless to say, I'm sketched out and I don't want to give this person my account info.

Teleperformance is a global outsourcing company. They do all sorts of call center and tech support stuff for companies that can't be bothered to do it themselves. I'm not going to tell you that email is legit, or that the person that sent it isn't going to break into your account and sell all your info in some third world black market, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sprint uses Teleperformance to handle transactions like yours.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I've had the Sprint HTC One for awhile now, and I can say that it's the best phone I have ever used. I've had every iPhone except the first one, and several Android phones, but the One is just kick rear end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Protip posted:

I'm also curious how this works as I'm on an Evo3D and my wife is on an original Evo4g. Although with our agreements up mid July I have my doubts they would give us a free upgrade.

You have to be eligible for an upgrade if your contract is up, and your contract is quite probably void. Upgrade your phones or switch.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

You have to be eligible for an upgrade if your contract is up, and your contract is quite probably void. Upgrade your phones or switch.

Sorry I'm a little confused by what you're saying. We are eligible for an upgrade (apparently since March according to MySprint) and our contracts are up July 18th. Do you mean since we are eligible for an upgrade we could get a free LTE device, or are you saying since we are so close to our contracts being up we wouldn't be able to?

I'm also guessing Sprint isn't going to let you choose the latest and greatest LTE devices, but I could be wrong.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

WTFBEES posted:

Teleperformance is a global outsourcing company. They do all sorts of call center and tech support stuff for companies that can't be bothered to do it themselves. I'm not going to tell you that email is legit, or that the person that sent it isn't going to break into your account and sell all your info in some third world black market, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sprint uses Teleperformance to handle transactions like yours.

Yeah, it's cool, I was just being all :tinfoil:.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Protip posted:

Do you mean since we are eligible for an upgrade we could get a free LTE device, or are you saying since we are so close to our contracts being up we wouldn't be able to?
What he's saying is this:

Since it's 20 months since you're last upgrade, you're eligible for a subsidized upgrade like anyone else is.

Alternatively, since you have WiMAX devices, you can bail out of your contract early without having to pay a prorated ETF if you would prefer to switch to a different carrier now.

Protip posted:

I'm also guessing Sprint isn't going to let you choose the latest and greatest LTE devices, but I could be wrong.
If you upgrade, get an S3 at minimum. Or an iPhone 5, One, or S4, but those three will be a bit more expensive.

You don't want a Photon Q, or even an Evo LTE at this point.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Two evo 3d's here. I'm leaving on the 27th when my contract is up. Can I just leave for free now then? Or should I just wait til the 27th and not even bother trying to figure this out?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What he's saying is this:

Since it's 20 months since you're last upgrade, you're eligible for a subsidized upgrade like anyone else is.

Alternatively, since you have WiMAX devices, you can bail out of your contract early without having to pay a prorated ETF if you would prefer to switch to a different carrier now.

If you upgrade, get an S3 at minimum. Or an iPhone 5, One, or S4, but those three will be a bit more expensive.

You don't want a Photon Q, or even an Evo LTE at this point.

Ah yeah, that is what I figured but I was hoping since we are still technically under contract we'd be able to sneak in for these free upgrades they are offering WiMax owners rather than having to pay for new phones on the off chance they would actually upgrade you to a newer LTE phone. Thanks.

We will probably stick with Sprint and I seem to have been successful at getting my wife interested in the S4 which is much better than two years ago when she wanted the already nearing end of life Evo because she didn't like the shape of the just released 3D. I know every single carrier does it but it still annoys me that new customers get better pricing on phones that current customers looking to renew. A new Sprint customer can get an S4 through Amazon for $129 where-as an upgrade is $199. Has anyone ever had any luck talking to retentions and getting a good deal on phones when bringing that up, or any other decent methods of getting better pricing on new phones?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Protip posted:

Has anyone ever had any luck talking to retentions and getting a good deal on phones when bringing that up, or any other decent methods of getting better pricing on new phones?
No, that doesn't ever happen. But many retailers (Amazon, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) do have good deals often. So keep an eye out for those.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

Two evo 3d's here. I'm leaving on the 27th when my contract is up. Can I just leave for free now then? Or should I just wait til the 27th and not even bother trying to figure this out?

Call and confirm with customer care, and make sure they note the account. From the reports it seems likely.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Protip posted:

Has anyone ever had any luck talking to retentions and getting a good deal on phones when bringing that up, or any other decent methods of getting better pricing on new phones?

They gave me a $25x4 credit for upgrading in February. That was for the craptacular number of defective Evo3Ds they gave me, but they offered on the first call.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

td4guy posted:

I'd buy a used SGS3 and see how it is for a few months. Especially as SMR850MHz service is rolled out for better indoor reception. Then when the new tri-band-LTE SGS4 or HTC One is released later this year, sign a contract for that if you're comfortable with how things are.

Fun fact about the iPhone that I just learned on the S4GRU forum: its PRL prioritizes the 1900MHz signal over 850MHz, usually leading to lower signal strength indoors. Android phones treat the two as equal priority.

Well that pretty well seals the deal for me getting an S3. Coverage on my 'ol Sanyo has been MUCH improved this week.... I had a call with customer service last week after a sudden lack of service at home and was told that they had several towers out of service. I wonder if they were being upgraded? I notice that I seem to have even more "bars" than normal (or before).

Just to completely clarify what I was asking - If I buy a used S3 (assuming clear ESN etc I know) I can change to SERO Premium from regular $30/month SERO without a contract?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gnomedolf posted:

I've had the Sprint HTC One for awhile now, and I can say that it's the best phone I have ever used. I've had every iPhone except the first one, and several Android phones, but the One is just kick rear end.

I like it so much that I'm on my third one! This one has much better build quality than the last one and has working GPS! Hopefully it's the last one. I do get a lot of compliments from random people. It's a great looking phone.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

angryrobots posted:

Just to completely clarify what I was asking - If I buy a used S3 (assuming clear ESN etc I know) I can change to SERO Premium from regular $30/month SERO without a contract?
Yeah, no problem.

By the way, I just saw a used phone horror story on the S4GRU forum. A guy requested an advance replacement on a "broken" SGS3. Then he sold the "broken" one (which actually worked fine) on eBay rather than sending it back to Sprint. The buyer immediately activated it and used it fine for six months. When that new guy tried to sell it later, he found that its ESN was blacklisted!
Used phone buyers really have no way to defend against this kind of stuff, huh? Scary stuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

Used phone buyers really have no way to defend against this kind of stuff, huh?
Well, new-phone-guy can sue old-phone-guy in small claims, as the original sale was fradulent.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, new-phone-guy can sue old-phone-guy in small claims, as the original sale was fradulent.

Good luck suing someone who might have moved already, across state lines, and then collecting on your judgment.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's not like grifting didn't exist before smartphones became popular either. Beware of used markets?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

So you're telling me I can ditch my Nexus S before January? Nice. :cheers:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

So does this mean I give them my evo3d they give me whatever LTE device i want and i get a new 2 year contract starting now?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fyallm posted:

So does this mean I give them my evo3d they give me whatever LTE device i want and i get a new 2 year contract starting now?

Do you think that's what it means, or do you think it's the much more likely scenario of them offering you the shittiest, cheapest LTE device they have because it's still comparable or better to whatever WiMAX device you have?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you think that's what it means, or do you think it's the much more likely scenario of them offering you the shittiest, cheapest LTE device they have because it's still comparable or better to whatever WiMAX device you have?

Yeah, more asking about the contract part

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't work for sprint, so the best way to figure out what deals sprint will give you is to ask them.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

fyallm posted:

Yeah, more asking about the contract part

I called retentions regarding two EPRP lines that had wimax devices. Both were due for an upgrade around June of next year. The first guy I talked to had no idea what I was talking about regarding the wimax ToS change. I politely asked if there was a supervisor available and he knew about it straight away. One line was terminated and the other just became upgrade eligible.

Maybe if you actually wait for them to do the switch themselves they'll give you a prize? I'm actually okay with my Motorola Photon (somehow). I was thinking about waiting for the next iPhone or Galaxy Note, but I'll probably grab something if a good deal pops up.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Gnomedolf posted:

It's the first Android phone I've had that I've had no reason to bother rooting. Sense 5 is actually good. Everything it does is either better than AOSP or the same as AOSP. (HTC apparently really wants to stick to Google's design guidelines) The phone itself is gorgeous and stupidly fast.

Bonus points to HTC for realizing that cramming 12MP onto a sensor the size of a pinhead is loving stupid, and having the balls to actually do something different and have to try to market it.

It's not totally flawless, (the Sense keyboard kinda sucks compared to Swiftkey...but what doesn't?) and :spergin: gonna :spergin: about the fixed battery and no micosd slot, but I love this phone in ways that a man should not love an inanimate object.

Edit: So I don't sound quite so much like a paid shill, I should mention my biggest issue. The One carries over the Evo LTE's crappy LTE reception and hair trigger EVDO fallback. It's not usually a big deal, but I have seen it fallback to 3g indoors a couple times while my friend's S4 has 3 or 4 bars of LTE. I'd say that I hope it can be fixed with a radio update, but they never fixed the Evo LTE so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Theris fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 17, 2013

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
My dad has poor vision, and is getting kinda old and he just uses a Samsung flip phone which he complains has small buttons and isn't loud enough.

I was thinking of getting him a smartphone just for the giant screen, but he insists he doesn't want a data plan or fancy things (though he has an Ipad and a Nexus, no networked of course). I think its sort of a waste getting him a $500 phone.

Is there a non-smartphone with a large touch screen? Or should I just get him a used iphone 3 or Optimus S and just not get a data plan?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CatchrNdRy posted:

My dad has poor vision, and is getting kinda old and he just uses a Samsung flip phone which he complains has small buttons and isn't loud enough.

I was thinking of getting him a smartphone just for the giant screen, but he insists he doesn't want a data plan or fancy things (though he has an Ipad and a Nexus, no networked of course). I think its sort of a waste getting him a $500 phone.

Is there a non-smartphone with a large touch screen? Or should I just get him a used iphone 3 or Optimus S and just not get a data plan?

You could always get an S3 and put it in easy mode. On Sprint I don't think you have to have a data plan for a S3, but someone please correct me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpG7DQdQx0

This might work for you. You can pick them up on Swappa.com for $240 right now as everyone is selling to upgrade to S4.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Stick100 posted:

You could always get an S3 and put it in easy mode. On Sprint I don't think you have to have a data plan for a S3, but someone please correct me.
Nope, any kind of smartphone requires a data plan, plus the $10 unless you were grandfathered in (and don't switch phones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The LTE rollout continues.

quote:

Today, Sprint is launching 4G LTE in:
  • Baton Rouge, La.
  • Centralia, Wash.
  • Clarksville, Tenn.
  • Corsicana, Texas
  • Dalton, Ga.
  • Dunn, N.C.
  • Fond du Lac, Wis.
  • Gainesville, Fla.
  • Henderson, N.C.
  • Kingsport, Tenn.
  • Lansing/East Lansing, Mich.
  • Longview, Wash.
  • Miami
  • Napa, Calif.
  • New Orleans
  • Palatka, Fla.
  • Raleigh, N.C.
  • Sebring, Fla.
  • St. Cloud, Minn.
  • St. Joseph/Benton Harbor, Mich.
  • Tampa, Fla.
  • Warsaw, Ind.

Sprint also announced more places that will be getting LTE in the coming months, including:
  • Grand Rapids, Mich.
  • Aberdeen, Wash.
  • Allegan, Mich.
  • Ann Arbor, Mich.
  • Battle Creek, Mich.
  • Corpus Christi, Texas
  • Eagle Pass, Texas
  • Flint, Mich.
  • Laredo, Texas
  • Marshfield/Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
  • Mount Pleasant, Mich.
  • Oak Harbor, Wash.