Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SkySteak posted:

Is this how you win Crusader Kings 2?

God, no. Those borders are hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

SkySteak posted:

The second I saw this I started dry-heaving and wasn't sure why. Those borders:negative:

Unrelated: I'm playing through EU3 now in an effort to get my fix before EU4 comes out, and I figured I'd take a crack at forming Russia. I figured Muscovy would be a good country for this, are there any better options? Also, how do I deal with the Golden Horde, just keep paying them off until I can go toe-to-toe with their armies?

Edit: every time I look at the quoted map I just see more :psyduck:: it's not just the player country's borders that are a horror show; England and Sicily are all over the place, there are Umayyads in central France, etc. It's like some awful orchestra playing the aria of nauseating borders, and everyone's playing their instrument to perfection.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 16, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

The second I saw this I started dry-heaving and wasn't sure why. Those borders:negative:

Unrelated: I'm playing through EU3 now in an effort to get my fix before EU4 comes out, and I figured I'd take a crack at forming Russia. I figured Muscovy would be a good country for this, are there any better options? Also, how do I deal with the Golden Horde, just keep paying them off until I can go toe-to-toe with their armies?

Try to get enough warscore to sign a peace, even if you're conceding defeat, as soon as possible in any war with them, before their giant armies come in to steal all your land, and pay them off in that way while you gobble up your Russian neighbours. Eventually either you'll be big enough to go toe-to-toe with them, or they'll get caught in a massive succession crisis and never recover, at which point you can start snatching up their territories as fast as you can colonize. You'll want to colonize south to the Black Sea as fast as possible to prevent any other major European powers from snaking past you, but other than that you can expand at your own pace once they're not a threat.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Good old rebellion maps. Also, the Seljuks are at the Alps.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

SkySteak posted:

My eyes! Oh my eyes are burned!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SkySteak posted:

What the hell did you do to the world?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I think the bigger country (Rus?) is technically easier but you can do it with Moscovy. As for the Golden Horde I believe you burn all your provinces along the border and watch the doom stacks starve to death in winter.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
^^The other country is Novgorod. I thought Muscovy was considered to be easier due to their superior military and expansion routes. I haven't played either in vanilla though.^^

I was going through screenshots of my old games and found this beaut. Unfortunately SkyStreak is a tough act to follow. I have to say, my favorite part is Hokkaido.

This one is less terrible, but still amusing.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 16, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Puella Magissima posted:

^^The other country is Novgorod. I thought Muscovy was considered to be easier due to their superior military and expansion routes. I haven't played either in vanilla though.^^

Muscovy is easier as you get missions on your smaller neighbours and once you start eating Novgorod, you'll get a subjugate mission that'll vassalize them, letting you grab their remaining territory for 1 infamy a piece.

Edit: The hilarity option is Teutonic Order to put the P into Russia.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 16, 2013

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I don't know if it was posted to the thread, I couldn't find it. If it's a repost, my bad.
Quill's trip to stockholm and multiplayer experience detailed in vblog format:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdUjBd5Q6J0

Everything I see on this game leaves me kind of stunned. It sounds spectacular. :)

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I gotta stop jocking paradox games on SA. I realized after I posted that, that some of the devs actually read my fanboying nonsense. :\

VainRobot
May 28, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Wait, how do you do that by 1477?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

VainRobot posted:

That's D&T, so a 50 year earlier start date.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

VainRobot posted:

Guessing by the Chobanids being in there that he's using Death and Taxes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Speaking of EU4, there's a new dev diary out: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?695756-Europa-Universalis-IV-Developer-diary-35-Alt-for-Norge!

Also I don't recall seeing the previous dev diary posted, so here it is: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?693964-Europa-Universalis-IV-Developer-diary-34-Unit-Interface-and-more

VainRobot
May 28, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

That's D&T, so a 50 year earlier start date.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. Still a pretty crazy game though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Everything I've read and seen about EUIV makes it sound like you have so much deliberate control over your nation, whether it's creating cores, researching techs, activating national ideas and laying down trade routes. August really can't come soon enough.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

What the hell did you do to the world?

Long story short, Muslims in Iberia overran most of Iberia, then France, then Germany. A few hundred years later, a large portion break off (Sicily). Soon after the Aztecs declare a holy war on the entire original Muslim nation. I, as Scandinavia called a Norse Crusade on them and took the land they took.

This game is an amazing clusterfuck because both main denominations of Christianity struggle to keep a Moral Authority over 30. France has not existed for hundreds of years and a good portion of Europe is Shia.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kavak posted:

A sign that they're reworking the game to possibly make it not suck? Part of me wants this to work out, while another part wants this whole thing to explode like Magna Mundi and leave the way open for someone to make a Cold War game based off of Victoria.

Sadly if EvW bombs itll be a really boring "game just is kinda meh" bomb. Magna Mundi was based off untested ideas from a decent but rather iffy mod (Designing a full game isnt like designing a game). The team at EvW have proven themselves actually competent since Arsenal of Democracy was a really good game for what it was (since it came out before Darkest Hour). That generally means itll just fizzle out into something mediocre rather than a glorious failure.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

VainRobot posted:

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. Still a pretty crazy game though.

Yepp. I wanted to try Unam Sanctum and my friend playing Britain wanted to break the game in half with Britain, as back then it had a mission that gave you cores on pretty much all of France once you retook Normandy and then occupied Paris. I'm huge on the map, but at that stage my economy was probably half of what GB put out, and that's with nothing but Christian provinces.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Everything I've read and seen about EUIV makes it sound like you have so much deliberate control over your nation, whether it's creating cores, researching techs, activating national ideas and laying down trade routes. August really can't come soon enough.

It's EU3 with prettier graphics and roughly an expansion's worth of content. It's not really that big of a deal.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

gradenko_2000 posted:

But the ultimate challenge of maintaining pretty borders remains yet unseen

This is 100% serious, I expect to see English Africa within 50 years of the game starting

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

iCe-CuBe. posted:

It's EU3 with prettier graphics and roughly an expansion's worth of content. It's not really that big of a deal.

I'd disagree. So many of the core gameplay systems have changed. No sliders is huge for me, the removal of complexity through obscurity, a trade system that you can actually interact with, the addition of the powerpoint system and so forth. If you consider EU4 to have an expansions worth of content, I'm not sure what game sequel you'd actually consider to be a separate game and not just an expansion.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd disagree. So many of the core gameplay systems have changed. No sliders is huge for me, the removal of complexity through obscurity, a trade system that you can actually interact with, the addition of the powerpoint system and so forth. If you consider EU4 to have an expansions worth of content, I'm not sure what game sequel you'd actually consider to be a separate game and not just an expansion.

Looks to be a more significant variation between nations as well via the decision system.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Cynic Jester posted:

Muscovy is easier as you get missions on your smaller neighbours and once you start eating Novgorod, you'll get a subjugate mission that'll vassalize them, letting you grab their remaining territory for 1 infamy a piece.

I think you are mistaken about which is the real hilarity option.

Got land? Gotland.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Cynic Jester posted:

No sliders is huge for me,

Just curious, but why is this so? It seems like a lot of people hated sliders but I never had a problem with them. In fact, I'm not sure I like them being replaced by a broad, fuzzy concept like a bundle of national ideas.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Sliders were kind of stupid because there was usually an optimal position given your longterm strategy and that meant that there was no interesting decisionmaking associated with changing them other than the rare event where you had to choose between something bad with a good slider change and something good with a bad slider change. I do like how they helped make some countries distinct at the start of the game, though. I know that at least a one of the concepts which were previously covered by sliders are now distinct game concepts and not included as idea groups (mercantilism, though I don't think anyone knows exactly how it works yet) so there might be more that we don't know about yet.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Jabarto posted:

Just curious, but why is this so? It seems like a lot of people hated sliders but I never had a problem with them. In fact, I'm not sure I like them being replaced by a broad, fuzzy concept like a bundle of national ideas.

I'm not just referring to the government sliders, but also the investment and minting sliders. For the government sliders, so many of them are pointless. You'll always want to centralize. You'll always want to move away from Serfdom. You'll always want narrowminded unless you're westernizing and then you'll generally move back to narrowminded. Unless you're colonizing a ton, land is far more important than naval, even if you're a coastal nation. It's all very binary. One of two choices, often with one of them being a lot better. And each slider move doesn't feel very impactful unless it opens up a decision or something along those lines. Contrast that with the new national idea system where not only are your options greatly expanded, but it also competes for power points with other actions, making it an actual choice, compared to eu3, where you will always slidermove when you can.

And the investment sliders are terrible. It's an opaque system that combined with the monthly/yearly split has turned a lot of people away from the game.

Basically, EU4 looks to add a lot of decision points, whereas in EU3, I autopilot everything except expansion at this stage. If you're a trade nation in EU3, you set all the richest CoTs to 5 merchants, smaller ones to 2 and leave it. Occasionally you'll go into the ledger to update your priorities due to new trade centers and such, but there's never any meaningful choices to make. The same with techs. There's pretty much always a clear winner for which tech to get first, and in the cases there isn't, it's because all the techs have empty levels. Conversion? Drop as many missionaries as you can support, all the time.

Pretty much the only meaningful choices you make in EU3 are centered around where and how you expand. EU4 at least seems to be fixing this by making each decision something you must weigh against all your other options for spending those power points. Sure, there will generally be a few choices that are vastly better than others, but that's still better than EU3s complete lack of them.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Okay, I see where you're coming from now. And I do agree with a lot of it, especially the bit about expansion being the only thing that requires attention from the player. In EU3, I never play as colonial nations, or try to expand diplomatically, or just try to be a small trading nation, because it's just so damned boring and oftentimes impossible to meaningfully influence.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Trade zones were also rather boring in EU3, it had no real amazing effect on anything. EU4 actually allows you to shape and dominate trade areas, so there's going to be an actual element of figuring out where to expand and colonize based on how much trade you want to control.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ThePutty posted:

Trade zones were also rather boring in EU3, it had no real amazing effect on anything. EU4 actually allows you to shape and dominate trade areas, so there's going to be an actual element of figuring out where to expand and colonize based on how much trade you want to control.

There is only one acceptable answer: All of it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RabidWeasel posted:

Sliders were kind of stupid because there was usually an optimal position given your longterm strategy and that meant that there was no interesting decisionmaking associated with changing them other than the rare event where you had to choose between something bad with a good slider change and something good with a bad slider change.
It seems like you can make the precise same argument about national ideas, though. There's usually going to be an optimal one to pick given your longterm strategy, so there's no interesting decisionmaking associated with picking one. At least once you become familiar enough with the game to know the relative value of what's being offered.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Strudel Man posted:

It seems like you can make the precise same argument about national ideas, though. There's usually going to be an optimal one to pick given your longterm strategy, so there's no interesting decisionmaking associated with picking one. At least once you become familiar enough with the game to know the relative value of what's being offered.

The difference is that the points you are using for a national idea could have been used for something else. Getting a new tech level, coring a province, declaring war, etc etc.

Not to mention that the national ideas each have 7 different bonuses that you unlock separately, which is far better than a gradual improvement in a wide array. Add the cap stone bonuses, and you'll have more decisions to make and you'll be making them frequently. Slider moves only happen every 10-20 years in EU3. In EU4, you can progress your national ideas when you want to, but you'll have to sacrifice something else to do so. It makes for far more engaging decision making.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Sockerbagarn posted:

I think you are mistaken about which is the real hilarity option.

Got land? Gotland.

I have no idea why, but for some reason the idea of Gotland controlling North Korea is just hilarious to me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Someone needs to post koreasnake.jpg

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I have been taking a break from my Prussian EU3 campaign, got back to it today and was surprised by how little settlers I suddenly generated. Then I realized that I'm now in DW 5.2 and neighboring the Golden Horde only gives me +0.25 settlers a year. I know they have changed how the nomad neighbor bonus works, but is it supposed to be that low? And why can't I reconquer occupied Horde provinces that are taken over by rebels?

I'm writing an AAR that takes place in 5.1 so all of this is a little inconvenient. :v:

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Reset Smith posted:

I have no idea why, but for some reason the idea of Gotland controlling North Korea is just hilarious to me.

Dear Leader is dead, Long live Dear Leader!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sockerbagarn posted:

What the gently caress

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Sockerbagarn posted:

HOW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Reveilled posted:

What the gently caress

Claiming thrones and fabricating claims is by far the easiest way to completely destroy EU3s balance. I've completely stopped doing it as it trivializes, well, everything. A bunch of countries don't start with heirs, so if you're playing one of the larger european nations you can often claim a bunch of thrones and enforce a PU through war. My current record is 15 PUs in 10 years as Austria. It's especially bad in the HRE as you get cores.

• Locked thread