Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

Watch as his best friend, his commander, and the closest thing

Who are they again? Honestly can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tae posted:

Who are they again? Honestly can't remember.

Rey, Talia, Durandal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kanos posted:

Rey, Talia, Durandal.

Oh. Well to be fair, Rey kinda killed them because he shot Durandal and then all 3 decided to suicide-stay in the fortress. Kira wasn't going to shoot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kanos posted:

Now you can feel sympathy for Shinn as all his hopes and dreams and everything he's put his life into are dashed into pieces. Watch as his best friend, his commander, and the closest thing he's got to a father figure are killed by the man directly responsible for the death of his real family and Stellar. Absorb the pathos as Shinn is left broken and sobbing like a child in the arms of the only person left in the world who gives a drat about him while his entire life burns down around him due to the actions of the people who helped to ruin his life to begin with. :unsmigghh:

If you put it like that, it sounds like Kira is at fault. By definition, anything Kira Yamato does is correct so if he completely hosed over Shinn then Shinn was obviously a villain.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you put it like that, it sounds like Kira is at fault. By definition, anything Kira Yamato does is correct so if he completely hosed over Shinn then Shinn was obviously a villain.

In Kira Christ's name we pray, amen. While we're on the subject I described how Luna and Shinn end up together to a friend and she said "Whelp, I'm sorry but she's officially the worst sister ever!" Stuff like that makes it really drat hard for me to like Lunamaria as much as I do.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 16, 2013

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I'm going to watch Seed Destiny soon. I don't want to wait for the HD remaster, I need terrible anime in my veins RIGHT NOW. After finishing Seed last year it was so bad that it made me make a personal breakthrough in my life so I'm expecting some transcendental poo poo

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Seed Destiny is the one bad anime that delivers. You won't be disappointed.

TARDISman posted:

In Kira Christ's name we pray, amen. While we're on the subject I described how Luna and Shinn end up together to a friend and she said "Whelp, I'm sorry but she's officially the worst sister ever!" Stuff like that makes it really drat hard for me to like Lunamaria as much as I do.

It really was the silliest thing.

"I... I killed your sister and your crush."

"Let's make out."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

It really was the silliest thing.

"I... I killed your sister and your crush."

"Let's make out."

In Lunamaria's defense, she was a really good friend of Shinn for a pretty long time, had been informed that Meyrin and Athrun had betrayed them all, and saw that Shinn was just as absolutely devastated by it as she was and really obviously upset about having to do it. She was sort of getting hammerblow after hammerblow of awful news and Shinn was pretty much the only shoulder left for her to cry on.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kanos posted:

In Lunamaria's defense, she was a really good friend of Shinn for a pretty long time, had been informed that Meyrin and Athrun had betrayed them all, and saw that Shinn was just as absolutely devastated by it as she was and really obviously upset about having to do it. She was sort of getting hammerblow after hammerblow of awful news and Shinn was pretty much the only shoulder left for her to cry on.

The scene where Luna breaks down and starts crying in Shinn's arms works.

The scene everyone is talking about... doesn't.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Everyone on the Minerva basically went off the deep end writing-wise after Operation Angel Down. I'm just trying to rationalize something that doesn't deserve defending. :smith:

It does totally make sense for them to hook up, but that scene was really badly timed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I forgot that Meyrin died and that she was Lunamaria's sister.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I forgot that Meyrin died and that she was Lunamaria's sister.

She didn't actually die, they just thought she did. She became Athrun's new love interest or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kanos posted:

She didn't actually die, they just thought she did. She became Athrun's new love interest or something.

Team Cagalli :colbert:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Lunas sister really wanted to bone athrun even though they had like two conversions ever and he was a terrorist who killed his own father, so she committed treason for him. As far as realistic portrayal of relationships in Seed Destiny I would rank it somewhere in the middle.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Cromlech posted:

I'm going to watch Seed Destiny soon. I don't want to wait for the HD remaster, I need terrible anime in my veins RIGHT NOW. After finishing Seed last year it was so bad that it made me make a personal breakthrough in my life so I'm expecting some transcendental poo poo

Super loving pro-tip, watch the movies. They fix a lot of the mistakes, some animation errors, but their greatest virtue is cutting down the SEED D experience to only a few hours.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Popehoist posted:

Super loving pro-tip, watch the movies. They fix a lot of the mistakes, some animation errors, but their greatest virtue is cutting down the SEED D experience to only a few hours.

"Pro-tip, watch the movies. Here are three reasons why, based on your stated motivation for watching Destiny, you shouldn't watch the movies."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kanos posted:

Now you can feel sympathy for Shinn as all his hopes and dreams and everything he's put his life into are dashed into pieces. Watch as his best friend, his commander, and the closest thing he's got to a father figure are killed by the man directly responsible for the death of his real family and Stellar. Absorb the pathos as Shinn is left broken and sobbing like a child in the arms of the only person left in the world who gives a drat about him while his entire life burns down around him due to the actions of the people who helped to ruin his life to begin with. :unsmigghh:

On the flip side his father figure is a suave and even more emotionally manipulative Gendo Ikari and his friend is another in the line of mentally unstable clones with a history of going insane and doing horrible poo poo. Shin wasn't getting out of this with a happy ending even if Kira wasn't on a personal mission to ruin that kid's life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Shin could have gotten a less crappy ending, it would just involve Shin basically finally deciding to do something besides follow orders and be angry. Which is where he would have gone in a better series.

Likewise I don't think "Shin's life sucks and then he dies" would inherently be a terrible way for a better-written series to go. Following a guy who ends up basically being Jerid Messa but written more sympathetically could be interesting, but they never actually managed to do that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The main problem with Shinn's character in Destiny is that, shockingly, the writer didn't care about him. Nobody cared about him enough to give him the necessary development to address his faults (which would have been as easy as a) make Stella a little sister figure b) have Shinn successfully save her in some contrived fashion that involves sacrificing his phone), and nobody cared about him enough to follow through on the fact that Destiny is life taking an endless string of dumps on him. If I remember right, Shinn breaks down in tears near the end of the final episode, with his whole life going down in ruins around him... and three minutes later he's totally fine and happy to work with Kira.

If the new thing turns out to be a SEED movie, it honestly might be for the best if Shinn turns into a villain. At least then he'll have to get some attention from the writers.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
They do address his faults though, by the end of the show they have him get over not liking Kira. Which is not only treated as the worst of his faults but ties into the main theme of the show, which is that Kira Yamato is the smartest coolest guy and everyone who doesn't like him is an evil stupidhead.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah I showed her that scene and she said that that makes a bit of sense considering the both of them are just broken shells of people at that point. She promptly changed her view back to the original when I showed her the scene where they did hook up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

They do address his faults though, by the end of the show they have him get over not liking Kira. Which is not only treated as the worst of his faults but ties into the main theme of the show, which is that Kira Yamato is the smartest coolest guy and everyone who doesn't like him is an evil stupidhead.

Shinn immediately forgiving Kira always had a creepy vibe of duress to it to me. Since the transition is "Kira and company destroy Shinn's entire life and everything he ever believed in and leave him a sobbing wreck" followed by five minutes passing and then suddenly Shinn "forgives" Kira with no real explanation, it always struck me as Shinn resignedly deciding "Well, this motherfucker's girlfriend literally rules the colonies and this motherfucker's sister literally rules the Earth, so if I want myself and the only remaining person I care about to have a decent life I should probably suck it up and make nice".

Bring on the Shinn's Counterattack movie. :getin:

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I would probably forgive every awful thing in Seed and Seed Destiny if that happened.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
But were there any meteors to drop in SEED?

gently caress it, it's SEED. Have Shinn try to drop the moon. :getin:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SEED Destiny starts with a colony drop. Coincidentally, Junius 7 was also the last point where the show was actually kind of good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If the big reveal winds up being a SEED movie, I think I'm just gonna leave this thread alone for a while. Even if SEED as a whole is better than AGE, following AGE with more SEED is not really a good thing. The next episode of Unicorn can't come fast enough; I'm losing what little faith I had left in the people running this franchise.:qq:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

If the big reveal winds up being a SEED movie, I think I'm just gonna leave this thread alone for a while. Even if SEED as a whole is better than AGE, following AGE with more SEED is not really a good thing. The next episode of Unicorn can't come fast enough; I'm losing what little faith I had left in the people running this franchise.:qq:

Well, don't get too down in your hopes until they announce the staff. With a good director a SEED movie could end up being good. It doesn't have 00's problem of freakish and mostly uninteresting aliens so it is entirely possible you could have some vaguely interesting drama and some decent pew-pew action with that large of a budget.

If it gets the SEED destiny staff we're screwed. Keep some burbon on hand. just in case.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
As with a lot of "less-than-literary" Japanese works, the Gundam novels are pretty dryly translated. The best part is the substitution of mechamen for mechanics. I laugh like a loving idiot every time I read that word.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Caros posted:

Well, don't get too down in your hopes until they announce the staff. With a good director a SEED movie could end up being good. It doesn't have 00's problem of freakish and mostly uninteresting aliens so it is entirely possible you could have some vaguely interesting drama and some decent pew-pew action with that large of a budget.

If it gets the SEED destiny staff we're screwed. Keep some burbon on hand. just in case.

A seed movie would have Kira Yamato. If he is his usual perfect self the movie is guaranteed poo poo. If he is not, then the weird japanese fans who can't get enough of him for some reason would start howling for blood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A seed movie would have Kira Yamato. If he is his usual perfect self the movie is guaranteed poo poo. If he is not, then the weird japanese fans who can't get enough of him for some reason would start howling for blood.

They could pull a Setsuna and put him in a coma for 70% of the movie.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

That's 30% too less.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hopefully this prospective SEED movie would follow SRW UX's example and exile Kira and Lacus to space.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No this is perfect, then he can wake up, use the power of talking to solve the problem then disappear for 60 years with Lacus. Then they both show up at the end and use their Jesus powers to save Shinn from his terminal rage cancer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kira never convinces anyone of anything with talking. It is all stock footage multi-colored beam spam. Enough shots of that and anyone he meets either dies or comes around to his way of thinking.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The movie is all about Lacus. She goes back to being an idol and sings in the new robot, bringing peace to everyone. Kira and Athrun are not present at all.

The movie is 3 hours long.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sonata Mused posted:

The movie is all about Lacus. She goes back to being an idol and sings in the new robot, bringing peace to everyone. Kira and Athrun are not present at all.

The movie is 3 hours long.

The movie is a Lacus Clyne concert. That's it. She dances around on the pink Strike Rouge variant they just disclosed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

On a slightly more interesting note. Gundam The Origin vol 2 shipped :woop:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Lostconfused posted:

On a slightly more interesting note. Gundam The Origin vol 2 shipped :woop:

Maybe yours did. Amazon's saying it still won't be ready for another week or so.

Still, I'm excited. This is about the point I left off back during its initial US run. I can finally see what's up with this Garma fella.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

I can finally see what's up with this Garma fella.
He certainly seems dashing and handsome but for some reason there is this child with a head of unruly brown hair on the cover. A rather puzzling state of events if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Do we know the cover art for Volume 3 yet? Because it'd be the greatest drat thing if it was titled Ramba Ral and had either Haro or Sayla on the cover. Or Bright just looking annoyed.

• Locked thread