Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SouthLAnd posted:

Amazing how Ford and GM (Fiesta/Spark) are making the most appealing tiny cars these days.

Edit: that's now fair, the Hyundai/KIA twins are pretty sweet.

The Fiesta is a size up from the Spark. Can't say I'm impressed with the Spark at all compared to just about anything in the next size up bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Look, I'm not trying to poo poo on the parade or anything, the idea that all the shithead BMW drivers migrated to Audi is pretty drat amusing when an auto journalist uses it to explain why they don't feel like knobs driving tire shredding BMWs.

But that poo poo stinks. All this poll shows is that Audi owners frequent the internet when looking for sex, frequent this one website a little more than owners of other vehicle.

You may as well claim that Hyundai drivers are the most likely to be faithful if that is your criteria, it makes just as much sense.

So, in short, gently caress Audi drivers, gently caress boring Hyundai drivers and gently caress lovely polls produced by lovely knobs for lovely websites to get their website in the lovely tabloids.

poo poo on that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Measly Twerp posted:

Look, I'm not trying to poo poo on the parade or anything, the idea that all the shithead BMW drivers migrated to Audi is pretty drat amusing when an auto journalist uses it to explain why they don't feel like knobs driving tire shredding BMWs.

But that poo poo stinks. All this poll shows is that Audi owners frequent the internet when looking for sex, frequent this one website a little more than owners of other vehicle.

You may as well claim that Hyundai drivers are the most likely to be faithful if that is your criteria, it makes just as much sense.

So, in short, gently caress Audi drivers, gently caress boring Hyundai drivers and gently caress lovely polls produced by lovely knobs for lovely websites to get their website in the lovely tabloids.

poo poo on that.

They didn't even include Saab at 0.0% as it's an established fact Saab drivers have no sex

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dissss posted:

The Fiesta is a size up from the Spark. Can't say I'm impressed with the Spark at all compared to just about anything in the next size up bracket.

I'm torn because if I were in the market for a new car and wanted something economical I'd love to snatch up a Chevy Sonic with the 1.4 turbo and manual tranny. On the other hand I've had bad experiences with GM products, although only with their late 90s and early 00s cars.

That gauge cluster is :krad:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My 2006 GM has a cheap interior (aside from the Recaros and leather back seats) that rattles like all hell. And ever since I hit 100k miles I've to start replacing $25-$100 things every so often. But its a blast to drive

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Previa_fun posted:

I'm torn because if I were in the market for a new car and wanted something economical I'd love to snatch up a Chevy Sonic with the 1.4 turbo and manual tranny. On the other hand I've had bad experiences with GM products, although only with their late 90s and early 00s cars.

I drove a automatic Sonic rental from Jackson, Ms to Macon, Ga and back and while the interior size was impressive (inside I never felt like I was in such a tiny car), that gauge cluster was the stupidest piece on non-functional crap I have ever seen. The infotainment system was really nice and functional though. It's a really nice car for the price and the mpg is awesome, 8 gallon tank iirc and I made it the 7 hours from Jackson to Atlanta before having to fill up. Personally it isn't the car for me, but I would definitely rent one again.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

I think it's good they stopped calling it the 3 series, a modern 3 series is right up there in old 5 series territory as far as size and weight goes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's just the coupe though.

Anyway, did everyone really get so used to the new look from the sedan that the fender vent is the most contented feature? I'm still not quite sold on everything A-pillar forward.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AI posted:

Audi/BMW feelings hurt

My posting about this was in jest, the "which car do pricks drive" question is boorish and tired, and of course one lovely adultery website in the UK is not a good indicator of automotive buying demographics.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

They didn't even include Saab at 0.0% as it's an established fact Saab drivers have no sex

Saab drivers are to busy wearing black turtlenecks.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

blk posted:

My posting about this was in jest, the "which car do pricks drive" question is boorish and tired, and of course one lovely adultery website in the UK is not a good indicator of automotive buying demographics.

Pricks where I live in Norcal (Sacramento) drive Tapout/nazi helmet stickered gigantic lifted pickup trucks (which they stupidly think handle like M3's) and weave around and try to intimidate everyone. Of course they always drive alone in their 25 foot long boats and if you get the rare chance to converse with one of these moufbreathers all they do is complain about fuel prices. :suicide:

BMW F10 (5 series) 2014+ (new angrier headlights and angel eyes, grrrr):

M5

I wish they had offered the black cube interior on the regular F10's dammit. The steering wheel is a bit of a change from the past versions as well (this interior pic is of the M6 showing the new wheel) and a lot of folks aren't digging the chrome bits on it so far.

....and a tasty new brown interior for the regular F10's if you like brown (better than tan I guess):

...also a diesel for the F10 will now be available in the form of a 535d (but it will have the tamer 250hp/400t engine instead of the nasty 381hp/545t version in Euro market monsters like the M550d)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 15, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Previa_fun posted:

The Fiesta/2 Polo and Swift are all much better cars - I'd sooner take whichever of them is available in your market.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My 2006 GM has a cheap interior (aside from the Recaros and leather back seats) that rattles like all hell. And ever since I hit 100k miles I've to start replacing $25-$100 things every so often. But its a blast to drive

My 2013 Impreza also has a super cheap interior and rattles worse than any car I've ever driven :sigh:

Maybe it's just me, but the perspective of this photo seems really off. Like they took it with a fisheye lens to make the interior look really cavernous but it just doesn't quite work.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 16, 2013

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dissss posted:

The Fiesta/2 Polo and Swift are all much better cars - I'd sooner take whichever of them is available in your market.

How so? I've seen a consensus among journalists the the Sonic Turbo is a blast to drive while having comparable space for people / stuff. My fiancee is looking for a cheap new hatchback, and the Sonic Turbo is at the top of our list. Is there something I'm missing?

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/sonic/2012/long-term-road-test/2012-chevrolet-sonic-ltz-sonic-vs-fr-s.html

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Weinertron posted:

How so? I've seen a consensus among journalists the the Sonic Turbo is a blast to drive while having comparable space for people / stuff. My fiancee is looking for a cheap new hatchback, and the Sonic Turbo is at the top of our list. Is there something I'm missing?

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/sonic/2012/long-term-road-test/2012-chevrolet-sonic-ltz-sonic-vs-fr-s.html

My girlfriend has a base Sonic and it's really nice for the price. I would have preferred a manual/1.4t, but I wasn't buying. I did test drive one, though, and it's a perfectly good car. Lots of space, good design, reasonably fun to drive.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Augmented Dickey posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the perspective of this photo seems really off. Like they took it with a fisheye lens to make the interior look really cavernous but it just doesn't quite work.

Just an ultra wide lens. The distortion seems pretty minimal but the focal length is super short. You cant really get a picture of the whole dash from the driver seat area with out going that wide. Its just kind of how it is.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
yeah just about everyone uses this angle/lens for interior shots

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That is the happiest goddamn steering wheel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

That is the happiest goddamn steering wheel.

The W222 S-class is a close contender:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

KozmoNaut posted:

The W222 S-class is a close contender:

God drat that looks classy.

I want to be in there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

D C posted:

God drat that looks classy.

I want to be in there.

It'll be nice when those are 35 grand in a year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

It'll be nice when those are 35 grand in a year.

I see jokes about this all the time, but are 3 year old off lease S-classes really THAT expensive to own? They can't be breaking often at 3 years old, so do they need 12 quarts of full synth every 5k miles or something?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Weinertron posted:

I see jokes about this all the time, but are 3 year old off lease S-classes really THAT expensive to own? They can't be breaking often at 3 years old, so do they need 12 quarts of full synth every 5k miles or something?

It isn't the running cost that's the issue in an off-lease luxury vehicle (which can be frightening - five-figure shop visits aren't out of the ordinary), it's that their typical customer wants (and can afford) the very latest model, which doesn't make for much of a used market.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MrChips posted:

It isn't the running cost that's the issue in an off-lease luxury vehicle (which can be frightening - five-figure shop visits aren't out of the ordinary), it's that their typical customer wants (and can afford) the very latest model, which doesn't make for much of a used market.

Five figure shop visits are indeed part of it. We've got an outside sales guy where I work who has an S class and recently spent $12,000 on suspension work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

To be honest, why would you ever consider any previous S-Class? This one has not only a cooled seat option, but the cooled seat option has a reverse airflow button so you can suck your farts out of the car without anyone else in the car noticing.

We're talking Nobel Prize poo poo here, people.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Weinertron posted:

Well the B2B warranty for the lux brands is 4 years 60k miles, so a 3 year old one is still under factory warranty.

There's a combination of things going on. In addition to the maintenance and the new car needs of the rich, the very top end luxury/performance stuff doesn't really get complete redesigns as often as the more competitive bread and butter vehicles. The model cycle for stuff like the S, SL, or even the Corvette is close 10 years, for example. You understand how as models get older/stale they have to start throwing incentives and discounts on them to move, well it's the same for these cars except 1) they need to do it more, with the long model cycle, and 2) they can afford to do it more because of both the long model cycle(tooling and original investment already paid for) and the very high margins built into the MSRP. So what happens is that as the models age the incentives on stuff like top of the line AMGs and whatnot get really, really massive, and no one is actually paying $250k or whatever the MSRP is for that S65 AMG that is basically a 10 year old car at this point, so the resale on the used models get hammered as a result too in the same way that GM keeps killing their resale value with their discounting of obsolete poo poo that they insist on keeping in production.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The new S Class looks so pretty. For me it's like Mercedes G, GL, CLS, S -> Porsche Panamera -> Bentley GT, Flying Spur, Continental SUV are the options that run around in my head for what I want next. All used cause I ain't spending kids college fund. I am terrified of maintenance costs though.

Comedy option is the Infinity QX56.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gatts posted:

The new S Class looks so pretty. For me it's like Mercedes G, GL, CLS, S -> Porsche Panamera -> Bentley GT, Flying Spur, Continental SUV are the options that run around in my head for what I want next. All used cause I ain't spending kids college fund. I am terrified of maintenance costs though.

I've driven the GL350 Bluetec, the CLS 55 AMG and been a passenger in the S. Obviously, the CLS is the most fun (though, frankly, it was a little bit frightening, especially because I wasn't used to it downshifting on its own since I drive a stick). The GL is an excellent and very comfortable long-distance, and with the diesel engine it's both very capable and quite fuel-efficient. Personally, I have no need for a vehicle of that size, but if you do, I'd say you can't really go wrong. The S is a beautiful vehicle as a passenger, and I assume it's pretty good to drive as well. Even without getting the larger engine, there's plenty of power and the suspension is perfectly balanced between comfort and performance. I haven't heard any complaints.

If you buy the CLS, prepare to burn through tires.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the info!

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Weinertron posted:

That's just hyperbole, the newest S-Class that you're likely to find for $35,000 is a six years old S550.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Friar Zucchini posted:

Pricing released for new Nissan hatch: starts at $14,780 (cheaper than pretty much every subcompact hatchback except the Kia Rio, including the previous-gen Versa hatchback) with roll-up windows and manual locks, but includes the proper number of pedals. For some reason the clutch pedal has been omitted on all but the base model.

Here, read this

That looks horrible. The old Versa was an ok car and it looks like they took it and left it out in the sun for like a month till it melted.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

That looks horrible. The old Versa was an ok car and it looks like they took it and left it out in the sun for like a month till it melted.

I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show and, in my opinion, they took the old Versa Hatch's interior and made it even cheaper.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Still a ton better than the current Versa sedan. :barf:

In other news, the biggest deal at Ford right now isn't any of the new engines, any upcoming models, or even the Fiesta ST... It's the latest feature for vehicles with MyFord Touch.

Buttons.

On the other side of the Atlantic, Audi appears likely to be workind toward production of a new Quattro sports car. They considered a traditional turbo-five, but concluded that wasn't fast enough, so they'll use a twin-turbo V8 like the one in the S7 and S8. But don't bother trying to buy one, you can't afford it.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 19, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

In other news, the biggest deal at Ford right now isn't any of the new engines, any upcoming models, or even the Fiesta ST... It's the latest feature for vehicles with MyFord Touch.

Buttons.

MyFord Touch is the sole reason I didn't get a top trim Focus. The radio in my SEL is incredibly easy to use and is almost loaded. The only thing I really miss is the Sony audio, it's not great, but it's a lot better than the 6 speaker setup in mine. It wasn't actually the lack of buttons that turned me off to it (It has complete HVAC controls and some audio controls in the Focus), but rather the random freezes requiring you have to yank fuses or possessed audio that would randomly max out the volume or Do Other Weird Things.

It was basically complete poo poo from the beginning up until very recently, and it still lags in terms of responsiveness compared to almost every other touch screen interface out there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Friar Zucchini posted:

Buttons.

I'm very OK with this. I love buttons. I love buttons so much, I love my sister-in-law's 2000 Bonneville SSEi because it is a sea of plastic buttons on the inside.

I hate this trend towards giant touchscreens and allpurpose knobs. I want a single button for everything, goddammit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At the very minimum HVAC and radio volume ought to have dedicated buttons.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Has anyone messed around with Cadillac CUE?
It sounds somewhat similar. Every magazine or review I've read pointed out it was a terrible system. Car and Driver compared it to getting herpes I believe.
I would be a little upset about spending 40-50 thousand dollars on a car and having it utilize a terrible touch screen interface.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Touchscreens are for when you need to do and show a lot of very different things and only have a small space to do it in, and don't mind sacrificing speed and ease of use for versatility. This is like the exact opposite of inside a car, where you have a handful of functions and the entire center stack, steering wheel, and dashboard to put buttons and displays on.

So far, the only good use of capacitative touch I've seen in cars is on some Toyotas where if you touch a button on the steering wheel (without pressing it), its icon lights up on the dash so you can read the labels on the buttons without looking down from the road.

Touch screens are fine for stuff like settings and other stuff people might want to futz around with on the car but won't be using while actually driving around. Touchscreen radio and HVAC? Dumb and borderline dangerous.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 19, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

I really don't understand the appeal of the Versa/Sonic/Fiesta sedans. Is it hatchback phobia or want of a separate trunk? Both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Previa_fun posted:

I really don't understand the appeal of the Versa/Sonic/Fiesta sedans. Is it hatchback phobia or want of a separate trunk? Both?

Hatchbacks are ugly and for poors.