Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

I got a weeder to clear my lawn of goosegrass and dandelions. It leaves small holes when a weed is pulled. Do I need to fill in the holes or will these holes fill themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I'm afraid to even google this as I'm trying to avoid all spoilers but if I sign up for HBO with On Demand will I be able to watch the entire 3rd season of Game of Thrones immediately?

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
So i had a discussion with a friend last night who told me about "Bulletproof® Coffee", which is coffee made with a low amount of Mycotoxin™, which is bad for you. He also told me about grass-fed butter and how good that is, and how big of a difference it can make.

So im quite keen to order some from the states, but i thought i'd just check if anyone has any experience with it? And did you feel any difference from regular products, or is it just BS?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

John McCain posted:

Unless they're milkshakes, yes.

e: I mean, it's not like I'd think bad of someone for having metal tumblers but I'd think to myself "hmm, I wonder why this dude is giving me a drink in a metal tumbler, I hope it's not made of antimony"

Cakefool posted:

Unless they're lacquered metal containers often give drinks a weird taste

Thanks for saving me embarrassment fellow Goons!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Wanker posted:

So i had a discussion with a friend last night who told me about "Bulletproof® Coffee", which is coffee made with a low amount of Mycotoxin™, which is bad for you. He also told me about grass-fed butter and how good that is, and how big of a difference it can make.

So im quite keen to order some from the states, but i thought i'd just check if anyone has any experience with it? And did you feel any difference from regular products, or is it just BS?

I don't know about that coffee, but it sounds a bit like bullshit. Butter on the other hand, will definitely have subtle differences between grass fed and corn fed cows, just like the meat. If it's standard American sweet cream butter like most butter in the US, or if you're using it for baking, I wouldn't waste your time on it, but good cultured butter might have some nice differences.

Tank71
Jun 15, 2013

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

I got a weeder to clear my lawn of goosegrass and dandelions. It leaves small holes when a weed is pulled. Do I need to fill in the holes or will these holes fill themselves?

YES, If you live in a dry climate and don't frequently water your lawn.
NO, If you live in a wet climate.

Regardless, I'd fill them in. I'm a little bit OCD about that kind of stuff, so it would bother me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any devices which can play video files of various codecs on your TV over an ethernet LAN other than an actual PC dedicated to that purpose?

Tank71
Jun 15, 2013

baquerd posted:

Are there any devices which can play video files of various codecs on your TV over an ethernet LAN other than an actual PC dedicated to that purpose?

Look into Raspbmc. It runs on a raspberry pi. Go ahead and look into it. If it looks like something you might be interested in, I can give you more information. Expect it to take a little bit of tinkering to get to work perfect. Having a least a little Linux knowledge would be a plus but not technically required.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Plex can do this too, but it requires some sort of device attached to your TV that can run the client, such as a Roku.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Hub-Media-Center-1TB/dp/B00466IEXE

WD TV Live Hub Media Center 1TB

quote:

A high-capacity hard drive and network HD media player in one
Play media from USB drives, home network, and the Internet on your TV
Beautifully simple user interface for everyone in the family to use
Access Internet favorites and stream movies
Play your personal media on your HDTV

Like this?

I had the previous generation. It was pretty good - apart from the slow response to the controller that made flicking through a movie painful.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
To further clarify the playback question: there are a number of $150 and under devices that can handle 98% of the stuff you'd want to play instantly. The remaining 2% can be converted with a little extra hassle on your desktop before attempting to stream it (e.g. hi10p encoded files, obscure sound codecs, etc.). An actual PC at the TV is going to be nearly 100% effective, but you'll also spend a good deal more than if you buy a simple playback device. The WDTV player seems to be well regarded in terms of cost/quality.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Mouse Cadet posted:

I'm afraid to even google this as I'm trying to avoid all spoilers but if I sign up for HBO with On Demand will I be able to watch the entire 3rd season of Game of Thrones immediately?

I just pulled up my HBO on Demand with Time Warner Cable, and all of Season 2 and 3 are available right now. I'm sure the other cable companies are the same.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I know Linux, but I don't like playing around with configuration that much when I'm not being paid to do it, so I'm going to be looking at the WD TV Live.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

Gothmog1065 posted:

I just pulled up my HBO on Demand with Time Warner Cable, and all of Season 2 and 3 are available right now. I'm sure the other cable companies are the same.

Thank you

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bloody Wanker posted:

So i had a discussion with a friend last night who told me about "Bulletproof® Coffee", which is coffee made with a low amount of Mycotoxin™, which is bad for you.

Sounds like a scam.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Are there are societies where short hair is considered feminine and long hair is considered masculine? I was thinking about it today and I couldn't think of any, which is weird because there is nothing inherently masculine or feminine in hair length.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ThatPazuzu posted:

Are there are societies where short hair is considered feminine and long hair is considered masculine? I was thinking about it today and I couldn't think of any, which is weird because there is nothing inherently masculine or feminine in hair length.

I can't think of anything feminine, but a lot of societies had warriors that had to have long hair for queues.

Also, Samson and his hair.

Also, sort of related -- wigs with longer hair on men up til the 19th century or so.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

Does anyone actually admit to being a "hipster" or is that just what you call other people whose stylistic choices you don't approve of/ envy?

Yes and no hipster is going to get upset if you call them one. I'm a self-professed "hipster" and it's just another subculture that people like to complain about even though most hipsters are just fine people, like in any other group arbitrarily defined by their taste in clothes and lifestyle choices.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
MHL is just HDMI+USB right?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I am looking for a word that I thought I read once which means: a sudden awareness that every person is an individual with their own problems, aspirations, etc... or something like that.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Tots posted:

I am looking for a word that I thought I read once which means: a sudden awareness that every person is an individual with their own problems, aspirations, etc... or something like that.

Could it be Anagnorisis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anagnorisis

(..) sudden awareness of a real situation, the realisation of things as they stood (..)

Another possibility would be Satori.

AtmaHorizon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 17, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tots posted:

Urban dictionary calls this "sonder" I think.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tots posted:

Been reading Metafilter lately?

And yes, as Cakefool said, the word is "sonder".

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
On my old computer I had a program installed (I think it was just a browser extension) that made it so when I held down the right mouse button and dragged my cursor either left or right, the browser would go to the previous/next page. I'm having trouble tracking down this extension for use on my new computer. I can't remember if it was Chrome or Firefox I used it with back then, but I use Chrome now.

e: It also drew a little line from the point where you started holding the boutton down, if that helps anyone track it down.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Werner-Boogle posted:

On my old computer I had a program installed (I think it was just a browser extension) that made it so when I held down the right mouse button and dragged my cursor either left or right, the browser would go to the previous/next page. I'm having trouble tracking down this extension for use on my new computer. I can't remember if it was Chrome or Firefox I used it with back then, but I use Chrome now.

e: It also drew a little line from the point where you started holding the boutton down, if that helps anyone track it down.

mozgest

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I hope this isn't spoilers but I watched Man Of Steel (batman didn't appear once) anyway on the planet Krypton they were having this weird energy crisis thing. Why didn't they land all the flying office buildings? I'm not in charge of earth's energy policy yet so my opinion might be uninformed but it seems to me that having every single building fly when you're having an energy crisis seems wasteful. Maybe those idiots deserved to die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Werner-Boogle posted:

On my old computer I had a program installed (I think it was just a browser extension) that made it so when I held down the right mouse button and dragged my cursor either left or right, the browser would go to the previous/next page. I'm having trouble tracking down this extension for use on my new computer.

That feature is known generically as "mouse gestures" and you should be able to find an extension or whatever for it by searching that. If it's for Chrome, I'm pretty sure I used to have the same one you did and that's how I found it. Also, Opera has it as a standard feature.

Crankit posted:

I hope this isn't spoilers but I watched Man Of Steel (batman didn't appear once) anyway on the planet Krypton they were having this weird energy crisis thing. Why didn't they land all the flying office buildings? I'm not in charge of earth's energy policy yet so my opinion might be uninformed but it seems to me that having every single building fly when you're having an energy crisis seems wasteful. Maybe those idiots deserved to die.

Is it even worth living if you have to do it in a building that doesn't fly?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Sonder! What a word. Thanks goons.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Crankit posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine a society ever continuing to engage in a form of conspicuous consumption that they had grown used to in light of irrefutable scientific evidence that it was destroying their lives.

Apropos of nothing, here are some pictures of Beijing at noon (credit to Shanghaiist.com):

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

CatchrNdRy posted:

Thanks for saving me embarrassment fellow Goons!

I have the same problem, all my dishes come out spotty and streaky or cloudy in the dishwasher. My solution was this product: http://www.lemishine.com/ A little of it added alongside dishwasher soap works wonders. I imagine the active ingredient is some kind of citric acid that you might be able to buy in bulk, but a little container of this stuff lasts me long enough that I don't feel the need to circumvent the minor cost.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Is there a name for the technique used here where Stan's arms are moving, but the pattern on his jacket sleeves doesn't?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

MHL is just HDMI+USB right?

Careful if you're dealing with a Samsung. I think they may call theirs mhl, and it is a micro usb jack but they've gone and done something proprietary, you'll need to buy a samsung brand adapter.

edit: I guess it mentions that + more info in your linked wiki article.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Everything about the original Superman mythos is terrible. Super advanced civilization has tectonic troubles... it's too late... to save ourselves... but this one son of Krypton will yet live... (ellipses because I think Kal-Jor or whatever his name is should sound like Captain Kirk.)

I'm sure it's been retconned to hell and back since then but the premise and almost everything about Superman is terrible.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Nighthand posted:

I have the same problem, all my dishes come out spotty and streaky or cloudy in the dishwasher. My solution was this product: http://www.lemishine.com/ A little of it added alongside dishwasher soap works wonders. I imagine the active ingredient is some kind of citric acid that you might be able to buy in bulk, but a little container of this stuff lasts me long enough that I don't feel the need to circumvent the minor cost.

I'll check it out, the reviews on amazon seem good

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

stubblyhead posted:

Is there a name for the technique used here where Stan's arms are moving, but the pattern on his jacket sleeves doesn't?

Ahhh yes there is. It's on the tip of my tongue but of course my brain can't quite make the connection to remember what it's called. Now it's going to bug me all day.

It'll probably come to me at 3am.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Unmoving plaid. At least that's what tvtropes calls it.

ManPortable fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 17, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Poldarn posted:

Does anyone actually admit to being a "hipster" or is that just what you call other people whose stylistic choices you don't approve of/ envy?

In my understanding, the core tenet of The Philosophy of Hipsterism is ironic detachment from, and simultaneous full participation in, a cultural activity. By that definition, every hipster would claim to be a hipster, yet not actually mean it.

In practice I'm sure you could find some people that you considered hipsters that took legitimate offense at the label. I mean, the popular definition of "hipster" has basically ballooned to include everyone who wears plaid and does something that you think is dumb, so you're going to get a pretty broad range of people there.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

So its raining pretty hard in St. Louis, and the Nation Weather Service just issued a flood warning for my area. Uncommon, but not unusual, and won't effect me.

What was unusual is the way I got alerted. My phone, a pretty much factory settings iphone 4, just sent off a siren with the flood warning as a message. It wasn't a text or call, it just showed up over the main page. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, is this something new and how did they do it?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Gravity Pike posted:

In my understanding, the core tenet of The Philosophy of Hipsterism is ironic detachment from, and simultaneous full participation in, a cultural activity. By that definition, every hipster would claim to be a hipster, yet not actually mean it.

In practice I'm sure you could find some people that you considered hipsters that took legitimate offense at the label. I mean, the popular definition of "hipster" has basically ballooned to include everyone who wears plaid and does something that you think is dumb, so you're going to get a pretty broad range of people there.

I didn't think plaid was really a limiting factor anymore--that seemed to me to be more a necessary characteristic of "grunge," really. Skinny jeans/thick-rimmed glasses/ironic t-shirts, etc. seemed to be more characteristic of hipsterism to me. But what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

So its raining pretty hard in St. Louis, and the Nation Weather Service just issued a flood warning for my area. Uncommon, but not unusual, and won't effect me.

What was unusual is the way I got alerted. My phone, a pretty much factory settings iphone 4, just sent off a siren with the flood warning as a message. It wasn't a text or call, it just showed up over the main page. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, is this something new and how did they do it?
It's the modern equivalent of the Emergency Broadcast System. Here is the FCC page about it. They do Amber Alerts over the same system.