Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Bughunt in Saskatoon 10 by Execudork, on Flickr
I don't know what this is - I'm pretty sure it's not a female Redwing Blackbird.

Lark Sparrow (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lark Sparrow (I think).
Thanks for the lead. I didn't realize how similar many sparrows look!
I think either Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) or Clay-colored Sparrow (Spizella pallida), based on the lack of streaks on the grey breast; I've got better views of the breast in other pictures, but they're not as close to in-focus as the shot I posted. I'm leaning towards Chipping, possibly a near-adult (first year?) juvenile with some of the winter colours still showing. That's a big guess, though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Trying to identify sparrows from pictures is about as hard of thing that you can do. ugh.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can see a Chippy or Clay-colored.

meso
Jun 14, 2013
Here's some shots taken a couple months ago on a pelagic trip off Cape Point, South Africa.

Immature Shy Albatross

White-Chinned Petrel

Cape Gannet

European Storm Petrel

Great Shearwater

Northern Giant Petrel

Shy Albatross

Black Browed Albatross

Immature Shy Ablatross Close Up

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
'Murica

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hummingbird

DSC_2223.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_2169.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dunno if this is better served in this or the gear thread, but I have just over $1000 to work with and I want a dedicated wildlife lens.

My thoughts are either the Sigma 50-500, Canon 100-400L or the Canon 400 5.6L. I think I'd rather have a zoom over a prime though, since it would be my only lens right now over 50mm.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno if this is better served in this or the gear thread, but I have just over $1000 to work with and I want a dedicated wildlife lens.

My thoughts are either the Sigma 50-500, Canon 100-400L or the Canon 400 5.6L. I think I'd rather have a zoom over a prime though, since it would be my only lens right now over 50mm.

I have Canon 400L. I was using an older Tamron zoom before and opted for the prime since I never left full zoom anyhow (at least with birding).

meso
Jun 14, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

I have used all 3 lenses and I've owned 2 of them. I originally bought a Sigma 50-500mm and used it for a year, I was not happy. It was far from sharp, needing me to stop down to F8 just to get a decently sharp shot and even then it really wasn't impressive. On top of that, the lens weighs a ton.

I then decided that I wanted to get a different lens, so I contacted a friend who owned the Canon 100-400mm F4-F5.6 and I used it for 2 months. While it was a marked improvement on the Sigma 50-500mm, it still wasn't tack sharp, like I'd seen some 400mm 5.6s give.

I then sold the 50-500mm and went for the Canon 400mm F5.6 L prime lens. The best decision ever, it was far superior to both the others and I rarely ever find myself regretting that I don't have the focal flexibility.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Just to be clear, the sigma 50-500 costs 1500 bucks, the sigma 150-500 is the one that costs around a grand.

I like the Vivitar 400/5.6 that I use, but mostly because it only cost 30 bucks (also I'm just fine stopping down to f/11 to get sharp shots).

fake edit: lensrentals.com has basically all of those lenses, if you aren't sure you could always rent each one in turn and decide which one you prefer.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Casu Marzu posted:

One more for the 400 f5.6 camp. I can't think of an instance where I wish I had a zoom while shooting wildlife because I was just too close and needed to back out a bit. The 100-400 has IS, but I think there is a consensus that the 400 is sharper and the AF is king.

It still retails for 1.2 and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bahama.Llama posted:

One more for the 400 f5.6 camp. I can't think of an instance where I wish I had a zoom while shooting wildlife because I was just too close and needed to back out a bit. The 100-400 has IS, but I think there is a consensus that the 400 is sharper and the AF is king.
My first wildlife lens was the 100-400 and I'm sure 95% of my shots are at 400mm. If I am shooting at less than 400 it's because I'm shooting something big like a buffalo or moose.

I don't think you will get the 100-400 and feel disappointed. It is a great lens and I still use it a fair bit today despite having bigger, sharper primes available to me. That said, if I had to make the same decision I'd probably go for the 400 prime.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you really want a zoom, consider the 70-300L (I know it's a little more than $1k)- the difference between 70 and 100 is pretty big on the wide end especially on a crop. Extremely sharp, great IS, and smaller than either of those options.

I haven't used the 100-400L or 400L, but I've seen great photos from both looking through exifs on flickr.

\/\/\/ e: 300mm is not ideal, but it's not like there's some magic threshold where all of a sudden all the birds are full frame at 400mm. I don't see any of those options worth an upgrade for me- if I get a dedicated wildlife lens it might be a 300 f2.8 +TC, either a used Canon mk1 or the new Sigma zoom.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If you really want a zoom, consider the 70-300L (I know it's a little more than $1k)- the difference between 70 and 100 is pretty big on the wide end especially on a crop. Extremely sharp, great IS, and smaller than either of those options.

I haven't used the 100-400L or 400L, but I've seen great photos from both looking through exifs on flickr.

How can you shoot birds with less than 400mm though?

:psyduck:

e. Of course, a teleconverter. Silly me.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

meso posted:

I have used all 3 lenses and I've owned 2 of them. I originally bought a Sigma 50-500mm and used it for a year, I was not happy. It was far from sharp, needing me to stop down to F8 just to get a decently sharp shot and even then it really wasn't impressive. On top of that, the lens weighs a ton.

I could basically quote most of your entire post and just say 'same' because I went the same path and had the same experiences. I used the 50-500 for airshows and it was good at that because there's plenty of light up in the sky, but when you're in a swampy area shooting birds in little light you'll get frustrated with it quickly.

Zooming is handy but 9 times out of 10 with wildlife you're going to be at the furthest end of your zoom and you'll want it to be the sharpest possible so I'm also throwing in a recommendation for the 400 f5.6 prime.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Despair posted:

I shoot 300 on a DX. :smith:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

I shoot 150 on an Olympus, which works out to 300. Some of nicer ones I like are done at around 50 with the camera on a tripod in front of a feeder triggered wirelessly.

meso
Jun 14, 2013
The girlfriend (Sparowe) and I went out birding this morning, and after 100km of driving and four hours later, we hadn't seen too much, but then when stopping for some landscape photographs at a park down the road from my place, we got some great sightings of a South African endemic, the Jackal Buzzard. These Buzzards are the most common South African year-round resident, but always a nice sight. This individual has more white than most of the adults usually do, usually there is only a small amount of white separating the black body from the rufous chest.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Where do you place your hummingbird feeder? I've tried to do one in the past, but never seem to get action. I know other people in the same region that have attracted some, though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cru Jones posted:

Where do you place your hummingbird feeder? I've tried to do one in the past, but never seem to get action. I know other people in the same region that have attracted some, though.

Over the past few months I've learned that I need to keep my hummingbird feeder away from any other bird activity I may have at my house. I had it within a few feet of my tube seed feeder for the sparrows and finches and got nothing. The second I moved it, bam, hummingbirds.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 17, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Which is kind of weird seeing how aggressive they can be.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

Or on a crop body.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The biggest reason I'm happy I got the 100-400mm rather than the 400mm prime is that it shrinks down to a pretty short length that allows me to fit it in my carry-on baggage. It's not quite as sharp as the 400mm, but there's been dozens of great shots I never would have gotten with the prime because it wouldn't have made it on the trip.

Looks like a Calliope Hummingbird, assuming you're somewhere in a dry, western state.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Looks like a Calliope Hummingbird, assuming you're somewhere in a dry, western state.

I was at my parents' house in northern BC. So I guess I don't know (I don't know much about birds)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Despair posted:

How can you shoot birds with less than 400mm?
Limit yourself to ostriches and the occasional emu.

I own the 100-400. However I just recently rented a 500mm f4 and now feel bereft.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
off-topic, but I've been watching a couple livecams featuring Peregrine Falcons in my city; http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/media/peregrine-cam/watch-the-peregrine-live/u-of-a-peregrine-camera/ One is actually 2 blocks north of where I work. It's awesome when they bring back pigeons to feed their chicks

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

^ I love those webcams. We have a similar one here in Seattle. In 1997 one of our local bird experts was watching when one of the parents brought in a rather unusual meal for the chicks, a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo. This was only the second time the species had been reported in that county since they were extirpated from the state before World War II. An odd way to find a rare bird.

Fart Amplifier posted:

I was at my parents' house in northern BC. So I guess I don't know (I don't know much about birds)

Looks like their range is shown in my book as going up to mid-northern BC, so I'm sure that's probably a Calliope. The streaky gorget (the colored part under the chin in males) is the giveaway for Calliope.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 18, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

You know what's cute?

A Saw Whet Owlet, that's what.

[edit]
Much cuter -- 3 owlets!

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 19, 2013

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Very nice owlet!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

off-topic, but I've been watching a couple livecams featuring Peregrine Falcons in my city; http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/media/peregrine-cam/watch-the-peregrine-live/u-of-a-peregrine-camera/ One is actually 2 blocks north of where I work. It's awesome when they bring back pigeons to feed their chicks

Thank you for this. There's something about watching the adult Peregrine shred a pigeon and feed the stringy bits to the chicks that's a wonderful cure for a stressful day.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

You know what's cute?

[edit]
Much cuter -- 3 owlets!

I am so loving jealous. Possibly more jealous than your Great Gray shots if that is even possible.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, those are really awesome shots. I see they're banded- were these wild birds just out of the nest or in an aviary?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

You know what's cute?

[edit]
Much cuter -- 3 owlets!

Those look awesome, I take it you went out with The Owl Guys? (I saw some similar pics pop up on my Flickr feed)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Yeah, those are really awesome shots. I see they're banded- were these wild birds just out of the nest or in an aviary?

neckbeard posted:

Those look awesome, I take it you went out with The Owl Guys? (I saw some similar pics pop up on my Flickr feed)
Yeah, through my other owl photos I got in touch with "The Owl Guys" somehow and they gave me a call last night to head out and shoot some owlets. The owls are wild and about to fledge. There were 6 babies in all, 3 of which already had fledged. The father was previously banded last year when he was a baby in a nest box about 5km away which is pretty cool.

I have no idea if you're interested neckbeard but if the opportunity comes up again I can drop you a line if you want.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Yeah, that would be great, I'm off in Banff this weekend running a marathon, but after that I have a couple weeks to relax until it's time to start training for the next one, so I was hoping to do a bunch more bird photography.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Those are adorable.

I spent a couple days in Oakland this week. I only had a 105mm on me but the birds at Lake Merritt don't care if you walk right up to them, so it worked out.

Juvenile black-crowned night heron:

Honk.

Nesting cormorants:

A california quail taking a break from running away from me in the hills:

If anyone in northern California has some nice telephoto glass and some spare time, there's a bald eagle nest on a telephone pole just north of Cloverdale where Highway 128 turns off from 101. It's clearly visible from the freeway and it's currently inhabited.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 22, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Moon Potato posted:

Nesting cormorants:

This is awesome. Any way you could liven it up in post?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is awesome. Any way you could liven it up in post?

There's not really much shadow detail or color to salvage in the birds/tree since the light had gone by the time I got there, but I guess it works as a silhouette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Some swallows