Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lareine posted:

Any tips about starting out in Iceland?

Well, that depends on which starting date you start off with. But every time I've been successful with Iceland, I've always started off by raiding to get money, and then hiring the Irish band to help me conquer the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My Prepared Invasion in a recent game had a weird little quirk. At the successful conclusion of the invasion, the troops went away, but not their boats. Since the game hasn't required me to disband them in order to declare wars and such, I've kept my 143 ship 'ghost fleet' as the Emperor's personal raiding fleet.

I resolved my earlier inheritance problem, by the way. Queen Skuld died young, and her daughter inherited. Then my King died, and Gavelkind made a mess of things, but my heir was the only one to have hit adulthood so far. He stabbed two of his little brothers to regain jarldoms, revoked another county from a third for pretty borders, and then stabbed the lil' Queen of Scotland and inherited her land. And then subjugating Sweden gave him the piety to be declared 'the Holy', since none of the plots were ever solved. He's now Emperor of Brittania, King of Denmark, Scotland, England, Sweden, and Ireland, ruling out of Sjaelland (because island-capitals look best on the map).

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Has the Subjugation CB been removed in CK2+?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yes.

What the gently caress is with independence factions in vanilla? I hit a certain point where they are fuckign CONSTANT. It's ridiculous. Even rulers that have 60-100 regard for me are joining in. Does it happen after a certain size threshold? I don't know why this ruler specifically has had all the trouble, even my inbred did better. Is it because it was a woman? Is the -10 female ruler penalty actually a "gently caress this poo poo i'm outta here" penalty? Did I just let my vassals get too big? I did make a mistake and give out kingdoms and a few of them got pretty large but it's been happening for awhile. I'd honestly rather have succession crises but after, like, 1180 independence seems to have completely replaced those.

Edit: How do you observe a game? Maybe I'll just do that to the end and see how the stupid AI ruins my awesome empire. RIP Norse Anatolia

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 17, 2013

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I started a game and put in on observe for shits.

I just saw the Birunid Shahdom (Persians) beat down the Abbasids and start another when the Seljuks showed up. Immediately the Seljuks grab the core while the 80k Persian troops are off making GBS threads in the desert. Then, the Birunids decide (are forced?) to switch from Elective to Gavelkind and all hell breaks loose with something like 95 living dynasty members. Nice idea, whoever that was.

Also, Sweden took Venice and became the MSR of Sweden. This was working splendidly until Venice was conquered by the ERE. Now the only Norse power remaining is the Rus.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Sankis posted:

Yes.

What the gently caress is with independence factions in vanilla? I hit a certain point where they are fuckign CONSTANT. It's ridiculous. Even rulers that have 60-100 regard for me are joining in. Does it happen after a certain size threshold? I don't know why this ruler specifically has had all the trouble, even my inbred did better. Is it because it was a woman? Is the -10 female ruler penalty actually a "gently caress this poo poo i'm outta here" penalty? Did I just let my vassals get too big? I did make a mistake and give out kingdoms and a few of them got pretty large but it's been happening for awhile. I'd honestly rather have succession crises but after, like, 1180 independence seems to have completely replaced those.

Edit: How do you observe a game? Maybe I'll just do that to the end and see how the stupid AI ruins my awesome empire. RIP Norse Anatolia

Yeah, I just wrapped up my last (200 year) game because of that. King of Brittania and France, and my wife is Queen of Norway. Massive, 50-60,000 man revolts. I have the resources to crush them, but :negative:

edit: actually, seeing how the AI would handle the situation might be interesting.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Sankis posted:

Bring up the console (press the key to the left of 1) and type in "observe" (all lower case, I think, and without the "s). It's apparently quite buggy and can crash your game though, but I've never tried it so dunno.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Allyn posted:

Bring up the console (press the key to the left of 1) and type in "observe" (all lower case, I think, and without the "s). It's apparently quite buggy and can crash your game though, but I've never tried it so dunno.

Wow, thats pretty awesome.

So my civil war took 5 years to win by AI, but my wife lost Norway. 3 generations of planning, gone :argh:

edit: I think one of the more frustrating things is uniting a good size kingdom (Castille across northern Spain for my sister in law, Norway for my wife), and watching them lose it within a few years.

edit 2: and the AI married my daughter-heir to some courtier in a regular marriage. :negative: I may load the autosave after winning the civil war and play from there, cuz the AI is going to crash my realm...

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 17, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sankis posted:

In vanilla, every vassal that is not de-jure, that is more than 200 'distance' from your capital, and that doesn't like you at 60 or better qualifies to join the independence faction. (Once they're in, they aren't pushed out until hitting 80 opinion.) If they're allowed to join it, it's just a matter of time until they do. So once you have a lot of vassals, if they don't all completely and utterly love you, you're going to get independence factions.

LowellDND posted:

Wow, thats pretty awesome.

So my civil war took 5 years to win by AI, but my wife lost Norway. 3 generations of planning, gone :argh:

edit: I think one of the more frustrating things is uniting a good size kingdom (Castille across northern Spain for my sister in law, Norway for my wife), and watching them lose it within a few years.
Yeah, you have to be watching like a hawk and ready to jump in when they're inevitably hit by civil wars that they won't even necessarily ask you to help out with. I typically plan on winning two civil wars for them before they can actually stand on their own.

And of course, once in a while they just capitulate to the demands and don't fight at all. I reload in those instances, because seriously, man, I just set you up with a kingdom here. Don't give it up to the first idiot who knocks on the castle door.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 17, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ughhh do I really have to kill all male members of the 51 living members of the Abassid family so I can gain the Caliphate?

It's so tedious. drat it, I own the holy sites, I reformed the empire, I'm a Sayyid, I should just be able to usurp it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Yay!

Also, and I should likely know this 700+ hrs in, but is there a way in CK+ to make someone be your lover?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im noticing AI me is giving away all my king titles, but keeping Emperor. Is this a good idea?

Edit: Also, Im seeing my dynasty (ua conchabiar) popping up in other places. If I were still playing, would they be in my retinue of heirs somewhere? (ie, one of the hundred odd people I have before I lose the game?)

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 17, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, and I should likely know this 700+ hrs in, but is there a way in CK+ to make someone be your lover?
If the advice I picked up a while ago is correct, if you want to be someone's lover, you have got to get with their friends. Make it last forever- friendship never ends. Be upfront; tell them what you want, what you really, really want.

Lovers are chosen at random, through events.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So, you guys should definately check out Britannia 479 AD, The Winter King. It's easily one of the best alterantive scenarios available for CK2 right now! It's centered around 5th century Britain, specifically the 5th century Britain of Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles, so you get to play with a vaguely historically plausible Arthur & Co.!

In my last game, the first game that I played as the Anglo-Saxon invaders (for maximum :black101:), Arthur's descendants came to rule over Wales as the Britonic Pendragon Kingdom of Gwent and the Romano-Briton Kingdom of Dummonia, with the scions of both lines alternating in the kingship of the High Kingdom of Britannia.

This all ended with the reign of Gwenda the Good, who was far from good, and was in fact a possessed-lunatic (and not coincidentally, the first Catholic Queen) High Queen whose rule was so fraught with rebellions that I could not help but smash the silly Britons apart and make the island into the Germanic paradise it was meant to be.

The mod is really well done and has hundreds (no joke) of events that pertain to the unique setting. Heck, in one of my earlier games the Irish got really uppity and invaded Wales!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sankis posted:

give out kingdoms

This is how you turn an empire into a constant mess of independence movements, yes. Kings will almost always join the faction and will almost always have enough dudes to then make the faction leader press the issue.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

is there a way in CK+ to make someone be your lover?

There is a console command to get the "make a move" event on one of your vassals. Trying to use it on anything else, or just using it as a female ruler at all, causes poo poo to get weird.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Kalos posted:

This is how you turn an empire into a constant mess of independence movements, yes. Kings will almost always join the faction and will almost always have enough dudes to then make the faction leader press the issue.

There is a console command to get the "make a move" event on one of your vassals. Trying to use it on anything else, or just using it as a female ruler at all, causes poo poo to get weird.

Yeah thats what I thought. I know in AGOT they just simply added to the diplomacy menu "got X's bedchamber"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

How do trading posts work? I have a grand mayor set up on my coast who seems really into them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
When I send guys from my council out to research whatever tech, do I want to place my steward where economy tech is high (to spread the tech from that province to elsewhere) or low (to increase the tech in that province)?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think the idea is that he'll be studying/stealing tech so put him where it's highest. It used to be a good idea to plop him down in Baghdad early on but I've no idea how that changed with the new tech system.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LowellDND posted:

How do trading posts work? I have a grand mayor set up on my coast who seems really into them.

They get built and they make him and you money. I believe that's pretty much it.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Rejected Fate posted:

Ughhh do I really have to kill all male members of the 51 living members of the Abassid family so I can gain the Caliphate?

It's so tedious. drat it, I own the holy sites, I reformed the empire, I'm a Sayyid, I should just be able to usurp it.

You don't need to do this. The Caliphate is destroyed if the holder becomes unlanded. Just conquer every last county of the current holder and it's gone.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Allyn posted:

When I send guys from my council out to research whatever tech, do I want to place my steward where economy tech is high (to spread the tech from that province to elsewhere) or low (to increase the tech in that province)?

The councilors speed up the spread of tech into the province they are in, so you want them in a low tech region neighbouring your high tech province, but I think having them in your capital might make your spymaster more effective? So maybe park them in your capital until your capital is the highest tech province on the map and then put them in neighbouring provinces.
I think the best province to steal research from at the TOG start is Rhegio (The toe of the Boot), but Constantinople and the Islamic capitals in the Levant overtake pretty quickly.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Constantinople is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to tech. Even in my most-successful games, it's always considered a more-advanced region.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Konig posted:

I'm doing the same game as you I think, is there any way to determine the historical capital of a kingdom?

In the common folder in the game folder in steamapps, there is a file called "landed titles". Ctrl f to whatever duchy/kingdom/empire you want to find the capital for.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Whats the best way to encourage your lands to convert religion? I'm currently a pagan republic in Finland - and the mixing pot of religions and cultures are causing some stability issues. I'd like to convert to something that will allow me to unify the republic - be it Moslem or Catholic. Can I ask other nations to send me clerics? Or is it luck of the draw? I'm debating letting myself get taken over by the Seljuks, and then rebuilding after conversion...

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Moreau posted:

Whats the best way to encourage your lands to convert religion? I'm currently a pagan republic in Finland - and the mixing pot of religions and cultures are causing some stability issues. I'd like to convert to something that will allow me to unify the republic - be it Moslem or Catholic. Can I ask other nations to send me clerics? Or is it luck of the draw? I'm debating letting myself get taken over by the Seljuks, and then rebuilding after conversion...

If you're having trouble with stability then converting to a religion that isn't even in the same group as everyone else's is not going to help.

I guess you can just wait until someone decides their court priest requires a permanent vacation to a pagan jail and then actually let him stay and see if he converts you.

Or just get a catholic to educate your kids until one of them turns.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Moreau posted:

Take a christian concubine.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Allyn posted:

I think they have to be a duke or above, plus your natural heir (i.e. usually your oldest son) is also eligible because he will inherit a duchy (or above) when you die and the election takes place anyway.

I handed a duchy to my guy and he became eligible, so that did the trick. Thanks.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sankis posted:

Yes.

Yeah, I'm finding this too. It's particularly infuriating when some conqueror gets a bunch of territory and you ask him to join your empire, he accepts then immediately joins the independence faction. Pretty dumb.

After a particularly nasty war with the Mongols devastated my forces so much that the independence faction reached 80% of liege strength I said gently caress it you can have your freedom - as it turns out, the result is a bunch of scattered independent counties scattered around my empire. I have claims on all of them and now that my retinues have recharged I'm just running round the empire grabbing them all back again.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Establishing your fortress in the middle of Zoroastrian Persia might not have been such a good idea, Assassins. But thanks for the free temple. :v:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

RichardA posted:

You might have better luck in the SH/SC thread Computer chairs: the backbone of a good sit up.

thanks much man

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hmm, I want to create the Roman Republic, but it turns out that grating your heir a republic disqualifies him from succession. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dirty_Moses posted:

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I'm preparing an invasion against Northumbria, but lo and behold, my son and heir gets a claim to the entire kingdom, rather than me having to choose between the English or Scottish portion. My question is: if I press my son's claim, will that count for the adventurers I've gathered or will they disband or something?

Just a heads up, make sure the Northumbrians don't have multiple ducal titles. If they do, you could end up with your son only getting the parts that are de jure Northumbria (so the English portion), with the rest staying with the old petty king under a new title.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Hmm, I want to create the Roman Republic, but it turns out that grating your heir a republic disqualifies him from succession. Any ideas on how to get around this?

That's hard-coded. Basically, once you die, save and reload as your son. Console-grant yourself your old titles if you want.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nolanar posted:

That's hard-coded. Basically, once you die, save and reload as your son. Console-grant yourself your old titles if you want.

I just murdered my entire family with the console to find this out.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Is there any way to force the "conversion" event to fire for a pagan ruler/does anyone know the event ID? One of my games as a pagan is pretty far now and I've got the Byzantines' ecclesiarch parked on my capital, but the character conversion event just ain't happening.

In Rainbows
Feb 26, 2011
Company of the Hat now owns Venezia, Venice is now just two countries in the boot. It's the first I've ever seen mercs taking a country (or Venezia being take by a nonplayer)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrPop posted:

Is there any way to force the "conversion" event to fire for a pagan ruler/does anyone know the event ID? One of my games as a pagan is pretty far now and I've got the Byzantines' ecclesiarch parked on my capital, but the character conversion event just ain't happening.

Take a concubine in the religion of your choice. A decision will appear in the intrigue menu.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

In Rainbows posted:

Company of the Hat now owns Venezia, Venice is now just two countries in the boot. It's the first I've ever seen mercs taking a country (or Venezia being take by a nonplayer)

Man, generally Venezia goes down eventually to Italy or Byzantium in most games I play. It's a bummer too, since Republics are excellent looting targets :getin:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So, I'm playing a game as Mali/West African Pagans. Unfortunitely, the Muslin world has totally united under a complete Arabian/Hispanic Empire, so I can't expand...

Anyone got any tips for breaking up the Muslim clown car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, I'm playing a game as Mali/West African Pagans. Unfortunitely, the Muslin world has totally united under a complete Arabian/Hispanic Empire, so I can't expand...

Anyone got any tips for breaking up the Muslim clown car?

This happening over and over was the exact reason I gave up trying to play as Mali.

The only tip I could give you is to try and assassinate the leader of the Sultanate north of you to trigger a civil war, and gobble your way upwards during that.

• Locked thread