Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If both partners are of the same dynasty there's no difference between a regular and matrilineal marriage (well, except that in matrilineal marriages the children start at the mother's location with the mother's culture), so if you're already going to be marrying your cousins that checkbox is the least of your worries.

I mean to say - I dont want more incest in the family (my king married his aunt). If I marry them to some prince somewhere, will it be a problem later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LowellDND posted:

I mean to say - I dont want more incest in the family (my king married his aunt). If I marry them to some prince somewhere, will it be a problem later?

If they're your cousins then they're unlikely to ever end up with a claim on your poo poo so no, it'll probably be fine. Obviously mat marriages are the way to go if possible but if you can't get a decent one then marrying your cousin off to some big-shot works, too.

Of course, the best thing to do is mat-marry them to someone who's like 4th in line to a throne and then have heirs 1 through 3 meet with unfortunate accidents. Then you've got a big and practically permanent(unless the AI fucks up) ally.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Goddamn, Europe looks ugly if the HRE dissolves.

And if Hungary and Croatia also dissolve. And Pecheneg Wallachia, and the Sultanate of Rum, and...

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's funny, I love how Europe looks without the HRE protecting everyone.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

That's funny, I love how Europe looks without the HRE protecting everyone.

It's just a patchwork of colors everywhere, and just looks... bad. It was even worse when Egypt controlled Lotharingia and there was a fierce dash of turquoise along the Rhine, but at least that's ended.

Imgur's conversion of the screenshot into a highly-compressed .jpg hasn't helped things, either.

e:

Oh god, spoke too soon:

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 16, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sonendar Updates!

New Laws and Systems

The Pawxatuck Confederacy

The Independent States of the Pawxatuck Confederacy are a loose band of various advanced tribes living in the northwestern corner of Sonendar. They grouped together to form the Confederacy in order to defend their culture and independence from the encroach of other peoples, such as the Nords who invaded from the North and the Green Country people, who are expanding rapidly thanks to the fertile lands of their country.

Independence and freedom weigh highly in Ockchaw culture. Thus, Ockchaws are by default True Cognatic and cannot switch out of Feudal Elective. Furthermore, by Ockchaw tradition, the chief among them all, the Great Gaffer, is periodically chosen from among one of the ten Gafferdoms of the Confederacy. After their term is over, the reigning Gaffer must abdicate the seat to the candidate with the highest votes.

Thus, instead of Investiture laws, they have a set of laws governing the term limits of their Gaffers. Longer term limits mean that you will stay in power longer, but carries a heavy penalty among your vassals, who prefer shorter terms. The shortest term limit, 4 years, confers a +30 bonus opinion among your vassals, basically negating the effects of "short reign".

Thanks to their culture of independence Ockchaws may not raise Crown Authority above Low, except during War time, during which it may be raised to Medium. To compensate for this, vassals will raise relatively more troops under Minimal authority. The Pawxatuck Confederacy also has special Militia Laws, which are essentially the same as Feudal Levy Laws, with the difference being that vassals retain relatively fewer troops under the lowest settings. However, the lowest Militia laws also mean that the troops that vassals do contribute will have much higher Morale.

All of these factors mean that as Great Gaffer, you will spend a lot of time trying to maintain good relations among your vassals. Under effective leadership, the Pawxatuck Confederacy will be able to punch above its weight -- for defensive purposes-- as compared to a realm of equal size and similar centralization level.

The Yuan Empire

Almost as polar opposite to the Pawxatuck Confederacy, the Yuan Empire (or rather, the two warring kingdoms into which the Yuan Empire has split), benefits most from highest centralization, thanks to their special Imperial Authority laws. Thanks to their unique culture, the state thrives under high Imperial Authority, conferring a massive boost to technological spread and reducing revolt risk across the country. Contrarily, under lowest Imperial Authority, the empire suffers massive increases in revolt risk, and a reduction of the speed of technological advancement -- but your vassals will be pleased.

The Imperial Army Laws affect the balance of military forces in the Empire. At the lowest settings, vassals contribute the least to the cause of the Empire, so to compensate, the College of Bureaucrats conscripts far more peasants from the Emperor's personal desmesne into the Imperial Retinue, increasing retinue sizes. At the highest settings, vassals contribute the most to the cause of the empire. In order to ensure orderliness in the ranks, the College of Bureaucrats must spread out its political controls among the ranks of the Emperor's bannermen, and can spare fewer commanders for the Imperial Retinues, decreasing total retinue size.

The State Burden laws affect the balance between bureaucracy and nobility. Setting the State Burden laws on their lowest setting will offend the clergy -- the bureaucrats-- by decreasing their opinion on you and putting higher taxes on clergy. Essentially, it is a tax on the scholars and middle-class officials who do most of the work of administering the Empire. On the other hand, setting State Burden Laws to their highest setting will force the Feudal Vassals to pay their fair share of the burden of administering the empire, upsetting them, but the Bureaucrats will be thrilled.

Thus, in the Yuan Empire, the trick will be to balance between the Feudal Lords and the Bureaucracy. As the bureaucracy is innately tied into the Faith of the empire itself -- the Yuan Empire's faith is "Imperial Bureaucracy", you would do well to manage these two factions wisely.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 16, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

LowellDND posted:

Should I ever do a standard marriage with my female cousins? Im looking at the matrilineal tab and its all family members.

The Matrilineal tab isn't a reliable list of who you can marry, it's more like an assorted selection of people the game thinks would be a suitable match for your bride-to-be. If you want a matrilineal marriage, you might be best to pull up the character tab, select "search all" and narrow the search down to men who are of your own religion who are not rulers and are not married. Not everyone on that list will agree to a matrilineal marriage (anyone who has a court title like Chancellor will not), but if you search a bit you'll find someone.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'd love to see an option like "Seek Religious Missionaries" in the Intrigue/Decisions menu for pagan rulers, especially when things get to be around 950-1000. It'd be really fun to play St. Vladimir of the Pechenegs or whatever and convert to Catholicism. As it stands now, I feel like pagans pretty much go their historical routes towards Christianity/Islam.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Something I was told recently, if you let others educate your heir you should never choose a zealous tutor, since those will almost always choose the piety option in education events. The piety option is the one where there is a 80% chance of nothing happening and the tutor gets piety, so it is one of the worst traits a tutor could have. You want your tutors to be diligent, and if you want to culture change the tutor should also be gregarious.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think this is the best I've ever done with one character:

This is my first 867 start, and this is 921 just after my starting character died, so I'm not sure how unusual the stuff that's happening in Europe is, but the Magyars in this game apparently had no interest at all in taking hungary and were content to chillax on the banks of the Dnieper for 50 years, meanwhile the Khazars got expelled from the Steppes and apparently took their place. The Byzantine empire is still all together, and the Karlings keep warring back and forth over bits of Frisia and Italy.

I've been tanking the authority of catholicism, and the Queen of Great Moravia just went Lollard. I'm hoping that's a trend.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Reveilled posted:

This is my first 867 start, and this is 921 just after my starting character died, so I'm not sure how unusual the stuff that's happening in Europe is, but the Magyars in this game apparently had no interest at all in taking hungary and were content to chillax on the banks of the Dnieper for 50 years, meanwhile the Khazars got expelled from the Steppes and apparently took their place. The Byzantine empire is still all together, and the Karlings keep warring back and forth over bits of Frisia and Italy.

I've been tanking the authority of catholicism, and the Queen of Great Moravia just went Lollard. I'm hoping that's a trend.

West Francia: Now further east than East Francia!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Is...your capital the Isle of Mann?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It will be the new Rome, except they have a mutant cat with no tail instead of an eagle.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

AfroSquirrel posted:

West Francia: Now further east than East Francia!

Nope, East Francia is claiming Fourth Rome in Bulgaria.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yes, it looks better than having the crest sitting down in London making my empire look top-heavy!

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Some kingdoms seem to automatically change their ruler's succession law to Primogeniture, even if said ruler is an unreformed pagan and shouldn't have access to their law. This is the case in the Kingdom of Norway in the latest CK2+ - Is this intended behaviour?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Yes, it looks better than having the crest sitting down in London making my empire look top-heavy!

I HAVE to put my capitals in their historical place. Forming Scandinavia as Jorvik pissed me off because one of my Dukes had Uppsala and I had to settle for Middlesex.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I HAVE to put my capitals in their historical place. Forming Scandinavia as Jorvik pissed me off because one of my Dukes had Uppsala and I had to settle for Middlesex.

I normally do put capitals in their historical places, but since Britannia is ahistorical I feel justified putting it wherever I find most aesthetically pleasing.

And while officially my title might be Fylkir Iliana, Empress of Britannia and Scandinavia, in my head it's Iliana, God-Empress of the Imperium of Mann.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I leave my capital in the same place forever.

The Scandinavian Empire has expanded through Britain and has provinces as far away as North Africa but the capital is and always will be Austisland.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I'm playing a CK2+ 2.01.2 game as Byzantine Emperor, and I'm getting a crash whenever I try to check the requirements for the "Hold a Grand Tournament" decision by mousing-over the "?". Is this happening to anyone else?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Sonendar Updates!

New Laws and Systems
:words:

One, how many terribly imbalanced exploits does this have, and two, how well does the AI use it?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I would be interested in a Sonendar multiplayer game. Seems cool.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

What determines who's eligible for election and who isn't? I've got this awesome grandson that should be emperor after me but he doesn't show up in the list of candidates.

I think they have to be a duke or above, plus your natural heir (i.e. usually your oldest son) is also eligible because he will inherit a duchy (or above) when you die and the election takes place anyway.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

I leave my capital in the same place forever.

The Scandinavian Empire has expanded through Britain and has provinces as far away as North Africa but the capital is and always will be Austisland.

I generally move capitals once I grab hold of a good duchy or pair of duchies to make the seat of my power, but with the new technology system I'm reconsidering.

My Norse game started in Austisland too, before moving to Ostlandet/Vestlandet... and basically throwing a century of progress down the toilet, because the AI can't be bothered to spy for tech in worthwhile counties :argh:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Winter Stormer posted:

I generally move capitals once I grab hold of a good duchy or pair of duchies to make the seat of my power, but with the new technology system I'm reconsidering.

My Norse game started in Austisland too, before moving to Ostlandet/Vestlandet... and basically throwing a century of progress down the toilet, because the AI can't be bothered to spy for tech in worthwhile counties :argh:

It's painful to move capitals tech wise, but in my Zoroastrian game, slowly making my way to the Persian capital and filling it all out eventually became worthwhile. That beautiful Demesne. :swoon:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Is CK+ up to date with 1.11?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It's painful to move capitals tech wise, but in my Zoroastrian game, slowly making my way to the Persian capital and filling it all out eventually became worthwhile. That beautiful Demesne. :swoon:

What are the best demenses? Im using the Duchies of York and Essex, with Middlesex being the capital.

Edit: Now that I think Ive got the hang of this, what is a good starting duchy for a 2nd run through? I'm thinking of using Ck2+ and starting with the Old Gods.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 17, 2013

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm doing the same game as you I think, is there any way to determine the historical capital of a kingdom?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I reloaded and this time the Aztecs hit Wales. I immediately put all my guys onto ships... and the Aztecs just stayed bunched up at 100k and conquered everything in two weeks. I got to -100% warscore without ever putting my army ashore and lost Wales. What'd I do wrong, anything in particular?

On the bright side the Aztecs then moved down and hit Castille, so... maybe they're not my problem? I don't know what will happen when the truce expires.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Is CK+ up to date with 1.11?

Yep!

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Zip posted:

Can anyone recommend a chair with better than average back support so I can play my fav game more often? Relatively cheap suggestions because I have a new baby due any day now and can't afford a 500 dollar desk chair.
You might have better luck in the SH/SC thread Computer chairs: the backbone of a good sit up.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

LowellDND posted:

What are the best demenses? Im using the Duchies of York and Essex, with Middlesex being the capital.

The Duchy of Sicily is pretty fantastic as a demense. The number of possible holdings in that one duchy is absurd, and it starts with a pretty high tech/tax rate in 1066 at least.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

LowellDND posted:

The Duchy of Sicily, Duchy of Tunis, Duchy of Baghdad are all fantastic single-duchy desmesnes. In Egypt, any combination of Cairo/Damietta/Alexandria and in Persia, the duchies of Hamadan and Kermanshah. For the Byzantines, Nicaea, Thessalonica, Adrianople and Thrace are great.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So what's the best way to go about usurping the Caliphate? I'm a Sayyid but there is a Caliph around. Should I just go about conquering all their lands and then stabbing them until I can be Caliph? I've already got 2 holy sites and am working on the 3rd and 4th although the 5th one in Cordoba would be a paint to get.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Carpathia is really easy to found as the Magyars. I wonder what the best way to conquer everything is? I basically just took my doomstack around all of Bulgaria and capped the main holding. The only problem is catching their army in the field. Assigning all those holdings was super annoying. Also raiding isn't nearly as effective without the ship maintenance bonus and rivers of the norse.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

toasterwarrior posted:

There was an issue concerning this when Wiz dropped the first revision of the latest patch, but he adjusted the army size in the last one. I think the odds are supposed to be even; it's just that the AI sucks at organizing their armies so the Norse often split up (probably due to Ivar's invasion of East Anglia and the Scandinavian brothers being too slow) and get murdered. I tried two games: one where the Norse lost brutally and one where Northrumbia fell but East Anglia held out.

Also, there's a tendency for Jylland to stage a prepared invasion of Mercia if the sons of Lodbrok succeed. Had it happen in both my current game and the older patch + compatibility hotfix.

ADD: BTW, for those running CK2+: has the issue with pagan rulers not forming duchies and eventually kingdoms been resolved? I'm around 900AD in my game, and so far only the Danes and the Norwegians have the territory to form their respective kingdoms. Unfortunately, both rulers haven't been forming duchies. I suspect it's because of the AI recognizing that it's stuck on Gavelkind and actively trying not to make duchies, and looting's effectiveness being reduced greatly and the AI not being able to get enough cash for duchies before they die.

Yeah, Wiz seems to have gone overboard on balancing the Norse. In 4 games so far Norse have lost many more planned invasions and conquests than won (Often getting up to -30% moral authority for it) . CK2+ also seems have a wonky distance value for sea provinces in the Caspian. Venice rushes for a trade post there every game and Norse Rulers are planning invasions of Persia/Azerbaijan

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I'm preparing an invasion against Northumbria, but lo and behold, my son and heir gets a claim to the entire kingdom, rather than me having to choose between the English or Scottish portion. My question is: if I press my son's claim, will that count for the adventurers I've gathered or will they disband or something?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dirty_Moses posted:

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I'm preparing an invasion against Northumbria, but lo and behold, my son and heir gets a claim to the entire kingdom, rather than me having to choose between the English or Scottish portion. My question is: if I press my son's claim, will that count for the adventurers I've gathered or will they disband or something?

They act as normal troops but will disband when you win the prepared invasion or if you don't declare the prepared invasion within two years.

Basically you'll want to declare the prepared invasion or they'll all leave.

EDIT: alternatively I guess you could declare the claim war and then just ram the adventurer army into the enemy as hard as possible to wipe out their initial forces, then mop them up after the two years expire and the adventurers leave.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 17, 2013

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Any tips about starting out in Iceland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lareine posted:

Any tips about starting out in Iceland?

Take over the other half really fast because otherwise someone else will.

• Locked thread