Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

No joke about the first skyward sword boss. Had to google it, too frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah Trine 2 is great. The Wii U version has an extra couple of hours of content after you beat the game. I think it's exclusive to Wii U at least, maybe the expansion was released on PC too? The game makes pretty decent use of the gamepad also. You can use the touchscreen to cast spells as the wizard and I liked that way more than using a cursor like in the PS3 version.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

flare posted:

No joke about the first skyward sword boss. Had to google it, too frustrating.

The guy tells you in giant red letters that you need to surprise him and not telepath your moves.

vvv It's pretty clear in all of the fights before that enemies block the direction you're about to swing from, you need to surprise them. Ghirahim even floats his hand towards the direction of your sword. I'm so sorry that you're dumb. :smug:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 16, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

The guy tells you in giant red letters that you need to surprise him and not telepath your moves.

Which means basically nothing because the game doesn't tell you that your shield is supposed to work that way.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Oh well, past him now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The fight still basically involves performing a different motion physically than Link will perform in-game (eg, hold right and jerk further right to make Link switch sides and swing from the left). The game's very sloppy about conveying that 1:1 stops being a thing while you're actually swinging your sword.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

That fight did a great job of showing off the pitfalls of motion controls.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The next Zelda you start with all the dungeon items but you can only use them once Zelda gives you permission.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
The best buy near me didn't have much of a line, but there was this group of dudes hanging around the kiosk constantly singing/quoting a lot of youtube stuff (one of the guys mentioned gamergrumps at one point). So, it was a bit irritating waiting to play with that going on, but I ended up walking around the island in the Wind Waker demo. Wow, that game looks great in hd. Not much to say other than that.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Removing crappy link:

Target Ad 6/23 - 6/29

Injustice $39.99
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate $39.99

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 16, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I was just thinking, they better bring the e-reader levels of Super Mario Advance 4 to the Virtual Console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mV1Pys5cqA

Why didn't they make the Super Mario Advance series out of THIS instead of remakes?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TechnoSyndrome posted:

All of them do this all the time. I know a guy who was trying out a Vita at a Best Buy and had a Nintendo rep come up to him and try to talk him into buying a 3DS. This isn't a new thing.

How is this a financially viable thing? To pay somebody to just hang out at Best Buy and try to convince people to not buy a Vita?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Astro7x posted:

How is this a financially viable thing? To pay somebody to just hang out at Best Buy and try to convince people to not buy a Vita?

Could be commission based.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

flare posted:

Could be commission based.

Actually it's a part time job. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft each employ someone (though I think Microsoft hires some other company to manage it for them?) to go to each store with one of their kiosks once a month and maintain/update the kiosk marketing, let whoever runs the electronics department/GameStop/whatever about any major stuff/price drops that are coming out, collect some sales data for their titles, make sure other marketing signs are up to date, etc. The process takes about an hour so while they're hanging around they're there to answer questions about and promote their stuff of course.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I really enjoyed what I got from the Trine 2 demo, I have it downloading now. Perhaps it is because I am red/green colorblind but the game looks better to me on the gamepad than my TV. I have a 55 inch LED, I dont know if its because everything is compressed and whatnot on the gamepad screen. But it looks super HD to me but my TV looks decent, just not as detailed and vivid.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

flare posted:

That fight did a great job of showing off the pitfalls of motion controls.

Nah, it's just a good way of the game telling you that you suck at this, both player and character, and this guy can easily kick your rear end six ways till Sunday, and all he's doing is loving with you while you desperately cling to your amateurish sword flailing techniques. The fight can be finished in, like, thirty seconds.

It's too bad that the second time you fight him, he's still up his little cock-tree of loving with you, gets his rear end handed to himself, and the third time he does get serious, the fight is way easier then anything you've done at all. Maybe they just wanted the player to get frustrated at first so they can topple the guy AND feel good about it. It's all good game design, in a questionable sense.

I defend way too many Nintendo games against you guys, I should really stop it. :sigh:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I really can't overstate how good this Rayman Challenge App has been for my Wii U. It's been up for something like 2 months now, and I've played my Wii U at least once a day because of it. Even though sometimes it's only for 10-15 minutes, the point is that it's getting me to turn on the console. It can lead to me thinking "oh maybe I'll pick up something on the eShop" or "Hey maybe I'll watch some Netflix".

I know that most people probably don't get into the daily challenge stuff as much as I do, but I really want to see more stuff like this in future. Some kind of incentive to play daily in say Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros would be amazing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd like it if Smash Bros did the same kind of thing Left 4 Dead 2 had with mutations, basically give everyone a new set of house rules for an online mode every week. Kinda like Nintendo Europe do with their Mario Kart community race nights.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Edoraz posted:

Nah, it's just a good way of the game telling you that you suck at this, both player and character, and this guy can easily kick your rear end six ways till Sunday, and all he's doing is loving with you while you desperately cling to your amateurish sword flailing techniques. The fight can be finished in, like, thirty seconds.

It's too bad that the second time you fight him, he's still up his little cock-tree of loving with you, gets his rear end handed to himself, and the third time he does get serious, the fight is way easier then anything you've done at all. Maybe they just wanted the player to get frustrated at first so they can topple the guy AND feel good about it. It's all good game design, in a questionable sense.

I defend way too many Nintendo games against you guys, I should really stop it. :sigh:

I could agree with this a bit.

Man this game is fun.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

The thing is it runs kind of shoddily on the WiiU, at least the demo did. It looks gorgeous in screenshots but the game runs at <30 fps and has major jaggies. On PC it is cheaper and runs like butter.

What? Trine 2 is locked at 30fps and never drops a single frame, and it costs exactly as much on Steam as it does on the eShop (or it would if it wasn't 50% off on the eShop right now).

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah Trine 2 is great. The Wii U version has an extra couple of hours of content after you beat the game. I think it's exclusive to Wii U at least, maybe the expansion was released on PC too? The game makes pretty decent use of the gamepad also. You can use the touchscreen to cast spells as the wizard and I liked that way more than using a cursor like in the PS3 version.

The PC version got the expansion too, but the Wii U version has one bonus level that isn't included in any other version.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh hey check it out it's the worst advice ever.

By that I don't even mean him demanding Nintendo stop making their own hardware he is entirely within his right to say something like that.

No it's when he asks us "Can you imagine a freemium Mario Kart where you start the game and pay as you go for new karts and other things?"

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why the heck can't I use my wiimote in netflix?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

By that I don't even mean him demanding Nintendo stop making their own hardware he is entirely within his right to say something like that.

No it's when he asks us "Can you imagine a freemium Mario Kart where you start the game and pay as you go for new karts and other things?"

People like him make American capitalism look loving horrifying.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Good freakin question.
C'mon, Netflix, patch that in stat!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Because aside from the Wii, Netflix has a terrible interface on every device.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Yeah, the Netflix interface is so dumbly designed. Why can't I browse for something on the pad while something else plays on TV? It's the best thing when watching Youtube in the browser.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zeeman posted:

Yeah, the Netflix interface is so dumbly designed. Why can't I browse for something on the pad while something else plays on TV? It's the best thing when watching Youtube in the browser.
Speaking of which, why is the browser so much better at Youtube than the dedicated Youtube ap?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

LividLiquid posted:

Speaking of which, why is the browser so much better at Youtube than the dedicated Youtube ap?

Because except for browsers, YouTube has a terrible interface on every device.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah youtube is all about freedom and being able to look up most anything. The youtube app like stuffs all this popular garbage down my throat and runs like garbage.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I just registered a whole bunch of stuff for Club Nintendo and still need 10 coins for Platinum. I bought Yoshi on the Wii U VC for 30 cents because I thought I read here you get coins for that... but I haven't seen a survey come up for it yet. Do I have to wait a few days? Will the survey be up before the Platinum deadline?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

mancalamania posted:

I just registered a whole bunch of stuff for Club Nintendo and still need 10 coins for Platinum. I bought Yoshi on the Wii U VC for 30 cents because I thought I read here you get coins for that... but I haven't seen a survey come up for it yet. Do I have to wait a few days? Will the survey be up before the Platinum deadline?

I think the surveys take 7 days to pop up, so you should be fine

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I will love to be there when these people will grow up, wake up and see that Angry Birds is the pet rock fad of 2011.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

limaCAT posted:

I will love to be there when these people will grow up, wake up and see that Angry Birds is the pet rock fad of 2011.

Angry Birds have commercials dedicated to pistachios; where are the Waluigi commercials to anything? :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone got an opinion on Mutant Mudds Deluxe? The trailer on eShop looks pretty good. As I understand there is a 3DS version. I'm getting a 3DS at the end of the month, is this game worth picking up, and for which system?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

greatn posted:

Anyone got an opinion on Mutant Mudds Deluxe? The trailer on eShop looks pretty good. As I understand there is a 3DS version. I'm getting a 3DS at the end of the month, is this game worth picking up, and for which system?

It's an ehh game. Good for what it is (a fairly generic platformer) but nothing really that special. It's one major gimmick (moving into the foreground/background) really isn't enough to hold it up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't watch E3, can anyone give a summary of what, if anything, was said about Pikmin 3?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I didn't watch E3, can anyone give a summary of what, if anything, was said about Pikmin 3?

It's coming out in August (or July in Europe) and it's gonna be sick as hell and everyone should play it.

Or I guess watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIIPkyWaiu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5aFGxps-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndMjKHxAfz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gwOhM2M30o

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Is Pikmin 3 all fruit collecting? One of my favorite bits about the previous games was all the weird stuff you collected and the silly names the game gave them.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

AllisonByProxy posted:

Is Pikmin 3 all fruit collecting? One of my favorite bits about the previous games was all the weird stuff you collected and the silly names the game gave them.
I don't think they could really do that again though without seeming unoriginal. There must be some other goal to the fruit collecting-- maybe it's more of a resource based thing instead of a treasure hunting game, turning the game into a proper RTS. If that's the case then I really applaud Nintendo for trying to be original with each game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Regy Rusty posted:

sick as hell and everyone should play it.

This could also be applied to Pikmin 1 and 2. I've been really frustrated that Nintendo hasn't given this series enough love, did Pikmin 2 just sell poorly or what? Those are still two of my favorite games I've ever played, and it is really drat tempting to buy a Wii U just for Pikmin 3.

• Locked thread