Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Rascyc posted:

Honestly it's the fault of GTN as well. Not listing price per item in a stack and being able to sort on that is really dumb.

You can't sort by it, but if you hover over the price, it definitely tells you CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
:getin:
Now to spend it all on vehicles and toys.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gasoline posted:

Holy gently caress dude, how did you manage that?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Selling Stims and playing the GTN on some of the rarer Cartel pack items and companion gifts. People pay a lot more for those purple gifts than they'd have to spend on a bunch of blues that would net them the same amount of affection.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gasoline posted:

Selling Stims and playing the GTN on some of the rarer Cartel pack items and companion gifts. People pay a lot more for those purple gifts than they'd have to spend on a bunch of blues that would net them the same amount of affection.

I remember when I was grinding companion affection, gifts were so expensive on my server I sat down and worked out that it was cheaper buying rank 1 and 2 greens from the vendor and purchasing blues and purples only for the final few hundred points.

It did involve gifting hundreds of green gifts at +19 affection each, but a keyboard macro took care of that.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
For companion affection, I used to buy the 340 Investigation missions as they were the cheapest - about 2-4k and you'd get a lvl 5 blue/purple gift, as well as some useless mats to sell to get some of your money back.

In comparison lvl 5 gifts were 10k+ on the GTN.

Unfortunately the 450 Investigation missions don't give gifts so you have to stick to the 340s.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Gasoline posted:

:smuggo:
Will also likely blow it all on useless cosmetic stuff.

WarLocke posted:

Holy gently caress dude, how did you manage that?

In my case it was by being poor a long time while leveling synthweaving and, since then, selling crafted items. Took forever (since launch). I looked every week on the GTN for what sold well and made a few of those and moved on to a new item the next week when everyone jumped on that item's bandwagon. For a while, before the cartel market, it was orange belts, then augments. Recently it was level 55 orange pieces.

If crafting is not your thing I have an alt who "only" has 2 mil through selling gifts from Diplomacy and mats from scav and bio. The low to mid level mats (lvl 20-35 or so) sells the best in my experience.

Another way I've made a quick buck was by using my monthly cartel points as a subscriber to buy a pack here and there and sell the contents. Got 1.5 mil in one shot for a tythonian lighsaber in one instance. But a) you need cartel points and b) a bit of luck with item rolls.

Edit: Crafting really isn't a get rich quick method. Professions are either viable mostly for yourself (i.e. Biochem) or for vaguely cosmetic reasons (i.e. armormech, synthweaving). Then you got the suckers that went Armstech and basically live off selling barrels for little money (at least on my server). It doesn't help that all the cool looking modifiable gear is through the cartel market. Why buy a dinky looking orange gun when you can get a cool cartel piece of the GTN for 6k? It would help if after, say, 3 months or so the cartel packs and the items they contain were retired and then the schematics for those items became available for the respective professions. That way Bioware still makes money from impatient people and crafters get the after market crowd.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 16, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Currently Bolster gives you the best stats for PVP if you go in using the 55 HM or NM OPs gears. This is a fact that pubbies hate and will rage at you for wearing PVE gear into PVP. You'll be behind Expertise wise, but only by about 20 from the top PVP gear, while having almost 100 more of your main stat, and a good 90+ to Power/Surge/etc depending on what you armor adds.

Be sure to check the bonuses though, as a sin tank for example I would want the pvp set bonuses instead of the pve ones.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Laradus posted:

For companion affection, I used to buy the 340 Investigation missions as they were the cheapest - about 2-4k and you'd get a lvl 5 blue/purple gift, as well as some useless mats to sell to get some of your money back.

In comparison lvl 5 gifts were 10k+ on the GTN.

Unfortunately the 450 Investigation missions don't give gifts so you have to stick to the 340s.

I wish I'd known how valuable purple rank five gifts were - I've been giving tons of them to companions, and just sold four left overs for 25k each. That's 100k for basically doing nothing, and I've still got 130 Artifact Gift Fragments. That's another 400k if I can sell each of those for 25k.

mims03
Nov 7, 2010
After a long break decided to play this again. Character Name is Mimsx, on Jedi Covenant. If anyone could invite me to That's No Goon it would be appreciated! Thanks.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I noticed in the OP there's a goon guild on Jedi Covenant. Is it still fairly active? I have to transfer off the Australian server I'm on soon because they're getting shut down (they're dead anyway) so I'm wondering where I should take my dudes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

cat doter posted:

I noticed in the OP there's a goon guild on Jedi Covenant. Is it still fairly active? I have to transfer off the Australian server I'm on soon because they're getting shut down (they're dead anyway) so I'm wondering where I should take my dudes.

That's No Goon is on Jedi Covenant, Empire side, is goons and only goons, but isn't all that active (12-16 on a peak/prime time).

Prime-Defense is on Jedi Covenant, Republic side, is not a 'goon' guild but a bunch of goons are in it. Seems to be a little more active than TNG.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

That's No Goon is on Jedi Covenant, Empire side, is goons and only goons, but isn't all that active (12-16 on a peak/prime time).

Prime-Defense is on Jedi Covenant, Republic side, is not a 'goon' guild but a bunch of goons are in it. Seems to be a little more active than TNG.

My dudes are imperial so That's No Goon sounds like a better idea. I'm not looking for a giant guild, I just don't want to be lonely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WarLocke posted:

We've hit 20 before and are just now doing 16m ops sometimes (pug 1-2 people).

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Sigh. Please, someone tell me I didn't make a HUGE mistake rolling Republic. I enjoy PvP tremendously on my Commando Medic, but god drat...the Imperial team is ALWAYS better than us. Most of the time to the point of it being a rout. Reminds me of the days during Vanilla WoW when the Alliance would have serious PvP problems on some servers because they'd only win one round in ten or so. Does it get better at 55?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Red Crown posted:

Sigh. Please, someone tell me I didn't make a HUGE mistake rolling Republic. I enjoy PvP tremendously on my Commando Medic, but god drat...the Imperial team is ALWAYS better than us. Most of the time to the point of it being a rout. Reminds me of the days during Vanilla WoW when the Alliance would have serious PvP problems on some servers because they'd only win one round in ten or so. Does it get better at 55?

I can't say anything for your server because I'm not on the Goon server, but my experience on Begeren Colony basically has it so that -> Imps rule 1-54, most matches are Imp V Imp due to Republic not Queuing enough. 55 is crazy as hell Republic guilds though, all whom are running teamspeak etc. Theres a few of those Imp side as well, but most of the wins on the server are Republic according to fleet chats on both side.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Red Crown posted:

It must be even because I hear people bitching in both fleet chats.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Red Crown posted:

Sigh. Please, someone tell me I didn't make a HUGE mistake rolling Republic. I enjoy PvP

I haven't been playing SWOTOR for very long, but based on every other MMO I've ever played, you should expect PVP at not-max-level to be dramatically different from whatever is going on at max level.

Of course, based on the general quality level of low-level pubbies on Bergeren Colony, and how ~awesome~ General chat is when I'm on the Fleet, the playerbase of this game is only a few steps above those of Star Trek Online and Tera Online in terms of utter ineptitude, creepy self-insert ERP, and general insanity.

Unrelatedly, someone in this thread whose character name I can't remember added my Bounty Hunter (Valentinecrab) to their guild on the B-whatever Colony server. I've got an Agent alt I'm clicking much better with, could I get it an invite? The name is Wickedplacenta.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone making any of the artifact microfilament earpieces or implants? They're the schematics you buy for basic comms and use a vial of isotope-5. I'm debating picking one up and hoping to make a profit crafting them. Those parts seem to be really good considering they come from a crafter, and they seem to sell for between 200-300k depending on if they're augmented. I have about 250 comms I have no use for at this point, so I think I could do a schematic and a bunch of vials of isotope 5. Anyone having any financial success mass producing these?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Anyone making any of the artifact microfilament earpieces or implants? They're the schematics you buy for basic comms and use a vial of isotope-5. I'm debating picking one up and hoping to make a profit crafting them. Those parts seem to be really good considering they come from a crafter, and they seem to sell for between 200-300k depending on if they're augmented. I have about 250 comms I have no use for at this point, so I think I could do a schematic and a bunch of vials of isotope 5. Anyone having any financial success mass producing these?

I've been wondering this too. Almost at Hero status with Makeb, will probably hit it next weekend and plan on buying a few implant recipes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

hobbesmaster posted:

It must be even because I hear people bitching in both fleet chats.

I thought it was whatever opposite faction to the character you're currently logged on with is better at that moment.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I know for dps sorcs, the awareness dmotivator is better than any of the 69 implants except if you need accuracy. I've sold augmented ones for 250k, but there was a little too much competition so I stopped.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I picked up the cunning earpiece with power/surge, since its the one I would use as a smuggler healer or dps. I crafted 1 and it crit, so I tossed it up on the market. We'll see what happens!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I picked up the cunning earpiece with power/surge, since its the one I would use as a smuggler healer or dps. I crafted 1 and it crit, so I tossed it up on the market. We'll see what happens!

Why not power/alacrity? I would think if you're getting surge you'd want to pair it with critical, no?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crit has such small returns that its not worth stacking. Surge isn't bad though.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Crit has such small returns that its not worth stacking. Surge isn't bad though.

Yeah. Everything I've read from people who love to analyze things to the minor detail leads me to believe crit and alacrity aren't worth adding. I have some +crit items, but your main stat adds crit chance also I think. It seems like +power is always good for non-tanks. That particular earpiece just happened to have +surge to go with it. There was another cunning based earpiece but I didn't like something about it. It may have had too much endurance.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I know. I was more asking why he not simply drop Surge for Alacrity. Maybe it's just because he's talking about Smugglers and they don't work like Consulars, but from reading the Sage forum it appears that Power/Alacrity is pretty much the better option in every instance.

Well, Willpower/Power and then since you have an extra mod anyway you speed up your casts/channels/force regen with Alacrity.

It just seems like a waste to gear for Surge (which has literally no effect unless you crit) without also gearing for Crit (so your Surge rating actually does something more than 10% of the time).

edit: Not looking forward to saving up for a Silver-Blue Hawkeye crystal for that +41 Power to min-max at level cap for my healing sage. That poo poo is like 3 million space bucks, goddamn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The bonus from crit items is not the only source of crit rating; agent and smuggler skill trees have a lot of built in crit bonuses that surge works with. Sages/sorcs have autocrits in their healing tree iirc. Surge is good for these classes. Power is better though because it always applies its increase and does not have diminishing returns.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, two completely different classes. Operatives/smugglers have much smaller cast times and many more instants than Sages, so the overall impact of alacrity is different.

Whether or not you should wear alacrity is a different story and awfully opinionated backed by whoever's healing models and opinions portrayed as facts, etc. For example, one popular argument is how many direct casts you can fit in between when you need to refresh hots, and that alacrity should be stacked to a point where you can get one extra direct cast because it will demonstrate a raise in your average HPS in a spreadsheet.

Whether or not you should accept that as a winning strategy is left up to the individual healer.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Out of curiosity, what would you guys say the most interesting class stories are? I played an Imperial Operative first because I heard the story was interesting, and I found the grey moralism, focus on internal politics/security, and brainwashing stuff quite fascinating. I just wish that story was in a better game.

I've been steering clear of the jedi classes because I just picture those being the worst, but I've never really sought opinions on them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

Out of curiosity, what would you guys say the most interesting class stories are? I played an Imperial Operative first because I heard the story was interesting, and I found the grey moralism, focus on internal politics/security, and brainwashing stuff quite fascinating. I just wish that story was in a better game.

I've been steering clear of the jedi classes because I just picture those being the worst, but I've never really sought opinions on them.

Consular's is really good, Jedi Knight's is basically diet KOTOR and is pretty bad.

By the way, anybody in TNG, I just made a Bounty Hunter and I need an invite for "Hotlanta'Man" if that's cool :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cat doter posted:

You might like the Sith Warrior story.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I know. I was more asking why he not simply drop Surge for Alacrity. Maybe it's just because he's talking about Smugglers and they don't work like Consulars, but from reading the Sage forum it appears that Power/Alacrity is pretty much the better option in every instance.

I don't know what the sages would need. My only consular experience is as a tank-specced Shadow, so the gearing there is drastically different. The earpiece I'm making is +166 end, +163 cunning, +79 power, +74 surge. I went and looked, and the other option with cunning was basically the same with alacrity in place of surge, or a third option with about the same power and alacrity, but a more endurance and a lot less cunning.

Buffed I sit at almost 30% crit rate and 75% surge rate. I have a few too many crit items right now due to gearing up with some +crit 28 mods before I really did a lot of research, but crits are still useful. Critical hits of diagnostic scan (which is essentially a free quick HoT that does very little healing) restore energy, so since it ticks so fast and you crit so often it's basically an energy regen skill. I've never really had much energy issues at end game as a scoundrel, but I've never done any operations either so I don't know how my tactics would change if I was gearing for that.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

cat doter posted:

Knight pulls a Superman (where challenges don't really seem to matter all that much), Consular gets better over time, Smuggler is funny but bland at times, Trooper has a lot of bad rear end moments (except when MaleTroop says "For the Republic").

Warrior is (in my honest opinion) either the greatest story in the game (LS) or comic-book evil incarnate (DS), Inquisitor is either chaotic good or chaotic evil with some nice touchs, Agent is space James Bond or evil, space James Bond, and Bounty Hunter is about killing higher and higher value targets.

From greatest to least favorite, I rank them (as far as pure story is concerned): Warrior, Agent, Trooper, Consular, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Knight
Warrior is, as I said, the greatest story potential in the game (depending on choices). Agent is done rather well with, as you said, the internal politics and behind-the-scenes poo poo. The Trooper always has purpose and direction, although is not as interesting as the first two. Consular fails somewhat in the beginning, but does get better from middle to end with a more significant purpose. Inquisitor has its good moments, but just isn't too strong in story (honestly, I feel it would have gone better if it weren't in the confines of the levelling system and had more time to develop). Bounty Hunter is rather simple, but does have its moments (and you get a loving Jawa). Smuggler is comical, but doesn't have very clear reasoning at some parts (particularly the beginning) and plays on basic principles (I want money because money). And the Knight just feels played up no matter how you play it (birds fly, fish swim, Jedi kill the bad guys or whatever).

ThreeSixXero fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 17, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

cat doter posted:

I suggest the Sith Warrior, played Light Side. You're an honorable warrior, not an enraged zealot. Your choices start reforms in the Empire based on the example you set.

If you want an example that isn't too spoilery:

On Alderaan, House Alde attacks House Thul. You meet the House Alde clan leader/war leader and have the LS choice to offer to duel him to see which army wins. If you keep your word, beat him and spare him, the conflict is resolved.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Red Crown posted:

On Alderaan, House Alde attacks House Thul. You meet the House Alde clan leader/war leader and have the LS choice to offer to duel him to see which army wins. If you keep your word, beat him and spare him, the conflict is resolved.

Now I haven't played the SW story in awhile, but isn't that example from the planet quest as opposed to the class quest?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Currently Bolster gives you the best stats for PVP if you go in using the 55 HM or NM OPs gears. This is a fact that pubbies hate and will rage at you for wearing PVE gear into PVP. You'll be behind Expertise wise, but only by about 20 from the top PVP gear, while having almost 100 more of your main stat, and a good 90+ to Power/Surge/etc depending on what you armor adds.

Are you sure about that? Full PVE gear gives around 1400 expertise in a warzone from what I can see, whereas full PVP gear is 2018 expertise. It makes a _huge_ difference. It might be better to use one or two PVE pieces (MH, relic) but overall if you're using PVE gear you're not going to last against PVP gear.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Man, I love the GTN fluctuation. Saturday night Advanced Derelict-Purple Indestructible Crystals were about 100k, all day yesterday they were about 265k while I was fundraising, then this morning they dropped back down to ~120k.

Hooray for unstable markets! Also I now have a bunch of Regal and Relaxed pieces, and a couple Calo Nord joints.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

cat doter posted:

Consular is basically the Agent class for Republic. You do everything behind the scenes, get to see a bunch of politics happen, and get to see whats causing all the planets to be hosed in the ways they are before fixing them. Some people don't like the first Act, but I'd easily rate it as the best Republic storyline, and right behind Agent/Warrior.

LS Warrior is great because it's just an entire storyline of pointing out how the rest of the Empire abuses the Sith Code for their own gain, and how weak the lolevilSith really are. It's just a man who loves his Empire doing his best to root out the idiots inside and fix it. DS Warrior I found lacking, because you spend the entire thing as a lackey, even at the ending.

Bounty Hunter and Inquis are acquired tastes. I felt BH had one of the worst crews, and almost all it's missions were just hits. Nothing he does actually changes anything, or really matters to the war, it's just "Hey man, here's the next target for you." all the way to the end. Inquis has it's moments, but you need to be really into the idea of gently caress EVERYONE SITH POWERGRAB to really enjoy the class.

Haven't played Smug yet, so can't say.

Trooper I didn't like. The first act was probably the worst I've seen so far, because the reason they give you for it falls entirely flat right out of the gate. According to what HOTLANTA has told me, it doesn't really improve much. I'd say the situations the Trooper gets in to are fairly cool ( it's basically GI Joe meets Tom Clancy ), but the actual story falls a bit flat throughout.

Jedi Knight is the worst story in the game. Please do not play Jedi Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sith Inquisitor and Warrior have some great times with Marr at the end of Makeb.
Inquisitor:

Marr: Yes its true the emperor is dead.
SI: I thought he was immortal?
Marr: Well, no one from the council has heard from him. We must regroup from this and gather under a new leader..
SI: Ah, so you're making a powerplay.
Marr: What? No!
SI: Of course, you want to become the new emperor.
Marr: Thats not what I said! We need to regroup and..
SI: Like you expect me to believe that.

Warrior:

Marr: Yes its true the emperor is dead.
SW: No. They killed his voice. The emperor is immortal.
Marr: We have not been in contact with him. He may truly be dead.
SW: No. The emperor is gathering his strength and will soon return with a new voice.
Marr: Uh, ok Wrath. Anyways...

• Locked thread