Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

so I restored from the backup and I still have 4 gigs of other. If I set up as a new phone will iCloud sync back all my text messages (the only really important part)?

iCloud non backup will not give your texts back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

iCloud non backup will not give your texts back.

But it will if he selects "Restore from iCloud Backup" though, right?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SunknLiner posted:

But it will if he selects "Restore from iCloud Backup" though, right?
Correct.

An iCloud backup is exactly the same as an iTunes backup except without the local data (apps/videos/music).

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Most of that "Other" data is actually the SMS database. It caches the recompressed versions of any pictures/videos you send or recieve. If you want to delete it yourself through SSH it's in /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/. Deleting the conversation doesn't actually remove the cache for some reason.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 13, 2013

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Sudo Echo posted:

Most of that "Other" data is actually the SMS database. It caches the recompressed versions of any pictures/videos you send or recieve. If you want to delete it yourself through SSH it's in /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/. Deleting the conversation doesn't actually remove the cache for some reason.

Can I delete the whole folder or do I have to go in an individually delete the sub folders?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Can I delete the whole folder or do I have to go in an individually delete the sub folders?

Delete the subfolders of /Attachments/. Just remember that doing this removes all the pictures/videos in your text messages so if there's anything in there you want to keep save it to your camera roll.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Is there a way to extract all the pictures from it? My conversations go back to 2008 and I kind of want to see what hilarious poo poo I can find from 4 years ago.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Sudo Echo posted:

Delete the subfolders of /Attachments/. Just remember that doing this removes all the pictures/videos in your text messages so if there's anything in there you want to keep save it to your camera roll.

You could also just copy all of those folders to your hard drive first and then delete right? Going through all of my messages and copying to camera roll would take a lot of time.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah you can just copy it, it's a normal directory with jpg/mp4 files. The only issue is that the structure isn't human-readable so you'll have no idea who sent the picture.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
Is there any way to get Calendar to permanently show the date when I pull down Notification Center? Right now it only shows the date if I have an event scheduled for the next 24 hours.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What's the preferred program for navigating my phones folder structure from my PC? I already have the free version of iFile installed, if that makes a difference.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Klungar posted:

What's the preferred program for navigating my phones folder structure from my PC? I already have the free version of iFile installed, if that makes a difference.

WinSCP is what I use to SSH into the phone. Standard explorer style interface. Drag 'n Drop.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

iFunBox. You don't even need to be jailbroken.

Speaking of which, can iFunBox access files on a locked phone? That seems like a massive security oversight, if it can.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
If you want to impress girls you should use putty. And if you want to transfer files while also impressing girls Cygwin is the clear choice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lox posted:

Is there any way to get Calendar to permanently show the date when I pull down Notification Center? Right now it only shows the date if I have an event scheduled for the next 24 hours.

"StatusBarCustomClock4", if you can stand to have your normal status bar display the date all the time as well.

It's in the moyashi repository, http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Also, I was wondering whether there is anything that will make certain (or all) notifications stay on the lock screen until dealt with.

I have a bad habit of say having a missed call and a tiny tower thing that needs stocking, then stocking the item in the game and forgetting about the call and locking the screen. This means the missed call notification is now "lost".

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

~Coxy posted:

"StatusBarCustomClock4", if you can stand to have your normal status bar display the date all the time as well.

It's in the moyashi repository, http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

I tried this, but I'm not looking to have the date in the status bar.

I want this, all the time, whether or not I have something scheduled in the next 24 hours. I tried StatusBarCustomClock4 and that did not do this for me. Not possible?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

lox posted:

I tried this, but I'm not looking to have the date in the status bar.

I want this, all the time, whether or not I have something scheduled in the next 24 hours. I tried StatusBarCustomClock4 and that did not do this for me. Not possible?

That's lockinfo, right? Slide the weather to the right or left.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Mr. Fix It posted:

That's lockinfo, right? Slide the weather to the right or left.

Nope it's the normal weather notification center widget, which doesn't show the date either when I slide the weather. I'm just looking for Calendar to never leave my notification center (like how it's there in my screenshot)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I may be upgrading to a new iPad soon - what're the prospects of an 6.1.3 jailbreak at this point? Any chance there's a way of downgrading to 6.1.2?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Aatrek posted:

I may be upgrading to a new iPad soon - what're the prospects of an 6.1.3 jailbreak at this point? Any chance there's a way of downgrading to 6.1.2?

Negligible and no, but you could get lucky and get a device which isn't on 6.1.3 yet.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Unlikely. My iPhone 5 came with 6.1.3 out of the box. I'd imagine most iPads are the same now.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Hamburlgar posted:

Unlikely. My iPhone 5 came with 6.1.3 out of the box. I'd imagine most iPads are the same now.

This is one I'd be buying used (though it would be an upgrade to me). So we'll see...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if iOS 7 plugged any of the exploits that the evasi0n team was holding onto. Despite iOS 7 adding a lot of cool things I originally jailbroke for, there still a long way to go, plus I like having the option.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

lox posted:

Nope it's the normal weather notification center widget, which doesn't show the date either when I slide the weather. I'm just looking for Calendar to never leave my notification center (like how it's there in my screenshot)

You'll have to create an event for every day of the month I believe. Just create an event titled "." that spans the whole month?

e: there's also "SimpleDate" in Cydia

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 17, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If my device is still on ios 5 is it possible to upgrade to and jailbreak 6.1.2? I'm not too clear on the whole signing thing and tinyumbrella shsh and whathaveyou. I've yet to upgrade to 6, if that helps.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
A similar question to Zigmidge's: if a jailbroken iPad is on 5.x, can it be upgraded to 6.1.2 and stay jailbroken?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

No to both of you. You can only update to 6.1.3 right now and 6.1.3 is not jailbreakable and probably won't be until they release an iOS7 jailbreak. Aatrek, you can't upgrade a jailbroken phone cleanly without wiping it AFAIK, so double no for you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I wonder if iOS 7 plugged any of the exploits that the evasi0n team was holding onto. Despite iOS 7 adding a lot of cool things I originally jailbroke for, there still a long way to go, plus I like having the option.

Here's what pod2g, one of the evaders, has to say about iOS 7:

quote:

After a few days of iOS 7 beta 1 testing, I must admit that I am about to switch to an Android device.

In my honest opinion, this version of iOS is the worst move Apple did in a long time.

iOS 7 design is awful, it's slow, battery life time is the worst ever, it's full of UI bugs and crashes. OK it's beta 1, but still.

I am pretty disappointed by the features I've seen in iOS 7. No revolution here. No big news. Just kid painting.

They (Apple) are good at convincing people their software is 'amazing'.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kheldarn posted:

Here's what pod2g, one of the evaders, has to say about iOS 7:
There isn't a :rolleyes: big enough for this.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

There isn't a :rolleyes: big enough for this.

Yeah. I'm not going to defend or attack the changes made to the new iOS until I see more details, but you'd think a guy who's sufficiently technically skilled to help develop jailbreaks wouldn't be in a rush to make sweeping judgements based on battery life or UI bugs from using the first beta.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
pod2g is a giant baby who wants attention and it's working.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are there any tweaks to make it easier to switch between two available wifi networks? I have two in my house and when I'm upstairs I want to be able to quickly switch to the node with a stronger signal. Going into settings is sort of a pain.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Stupid question: Updating my carrier settings won't gently caress up a jailbreak, will it?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there an unobtrusive clock I can include in the notification center? Preferably (but doubtful) only when I'm looking at the notification center from the lockscreen?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aggro posted:

Stupid question: Updating my carrier settings won't gently caress up a jailbreak, will it?

Mine didn't. I just did mine for my 5 on AT&T so I could get those government emergency alerts.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Is there an unobtrusive clock I can include in the notification center? Preferably (but doubtful) only when I'm looking at the notification center from the lockscreen?

NotiClock, ClockCenter, and NCTabClock are three that popped up from a cursory Cydia search.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

randyest posted:

pod2g is a giant baby who wants attention and it's working.

I don't think there was anyone more annoying to follow in "the jailbreak scene" than i0n1c or whatever his name was. Holy poo poo it was a constant whining feed.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Found out the hard way about TinyUmbrella and 6.1.2. I have .shsh files for 6.1 and 6.1.2 but apparently TinyUmbrella hasn't been updated to support it? I couldn't get it to work properly.

I discovered iFaith, which I think would have done what I needed, but unfortunately I'm not on 6.1.2 anymore, and it doesn't work with .shsh files created with TinyUmbrella, so I think I'm hosed until TinyUmbrella is updated. :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bucket Joneses posted:

Are there any tweaks to make it easier to switch between two available wifi networks? I have two in my house and when I'm upstairs I want to be able to quickly switch to the node with a stronger signal. Going into settings is sort of a pain.

Is there any reason why you cant just have the same SSID? That's what I have in my house and the phone doesn't have any problems switching automatically.

• Locked thread