Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JP Money posted:

I wouldn't say "go by feel" is in any way a good recommendation when someone asks how to accurately measure wheel alignment.

The whole reason for alignment is to make the bike track true. How is actually riding the thing and let it track for itself somehow worse than futzing around with strings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The guy specifically asked "how can I align my wheel properly" though. I gave him a tip on how I would do it. Personally I just measure my adjusting blocks to see if the marks are equal on both sides and go with that but measuring between fixed points is a safe bet. Getting it close, taking it for a ride and then guesstimating how much to adjust it from there seems like needless futzing around to me but to each their own really. You can easily squash the issue by using my method and completely removing all those variables you listed since you're removing the front wheel / suspension from the equation completely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JP Money posted:

The guy specifically asked "how can I align my wheel properly" though. I gave him a tip on how I would do it. Personally I just measure my adjusting blocks to see if the marks are equal on both sides and go with that but measuring between fixed points is a safe bet. Getting it close, taking it for a ride and then guesstimating how much to adjust it from there seems like needless futzing around to me but to each their own really. You can easily squash the issue by using my method and completely removing all those variables you listed since you're removing the front wheel / suspension from the equation completely.

Yup. I have to measure when I do my chain tension because my tensioner cylinders are upside-down; things just don't quite line up evenly. drat you Kawasaki :negative:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Using a tool I got with a clamp that you put on the rear sprocket that aligns with the chain, I've come to the conclusion that the adjusment marks on every bike I've ever worked on is simply "good enough". No matter what brand I've checked, the factory marks are very far from exact.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They are often way off. Just one of those things.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Are you guys telling me my OCD lining up of those marks is pointless?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

The whole reason for alignment is to make the bike track true. How is actually riding the thing and let it track for itself somehow worse than futzing around with strings?

Also you'll be subconsciously correcting if the bike is out of true, and things like road camber and asymmetric tyre wear (which can be caused by poor trscking, of course) can throw your subjective judgement of the tracking off.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
All you chumps complaining about hot weather need to shove it. I'm on tour with a band and we drove for 9 hours from Pittsburgh to Worsher(or some variation on that stupid spelling) and it rained the whole drive. Now its 4 am and it hasn't stopped a bit. I'm kinda missing Texas 98 degree weather, loading tons of amps in the rain blows.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pokey Araya posted:

All you chumps complaining about hot weather need to shove it. I'm on tour with a band and we drove for 9 hours from Pittsburgh to Worsher(or some variation on that stupid spelling) and it rained the whole drive. Now its 4 am and it hasn't stopped a bit. I'm kinda missing Texas 98 degree weather, loading tons of amps in the rain blows.

Hence the phrase, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." The past couple of days, it's been 90 degrees with 99% humidity here in Atlanta. The air is so thick it feels viscous. It's the kind of heat where you work up a sweat walking to the car. I'd trade humidity for heat any day.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Safety Dance posted:

Hence the phrase, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." The past couple of days, it's been 90 degrees with 99% humidity here in Atlanta. The air is so thick it feels viscous. It's the kind of heat where you work up a sweat walking to the car. I'd trade humidity for heat any day.

Oh God, that sucks. There's enough things about the Northeast that I'm not fond of, but the weather isn't one of them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Safety Dance posted:

Yes this sucks. Rode to lunch yesterday, it was 95 but humidity wasn't bad at around 70%...then it rained for 5 minutes. 90 degrees and 100% humidity. Only how many more months of this stuff?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

If someone hits me/is at fault, then their insurance will cover it.

Not if you live in a no-fault state like Michigan!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

DJCobol posted:

a no-fault state

A whatnow?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

epalm posted:

A whatnow?

No-fault insurance. In the event of an accident, each individuals insurance covers only them. Therefore, if someone runs you down, and you didn't have collision coverage on your bike, you are pretty much poo poo out of luck. You don't get to sue the other person or their insurance company.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard on my life, bar nothing.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Shimrod posted:

That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard on my life, bar nothing.

Welcome to Michigan, please enjoy your stay. But for the love of god, don't get into an accident unless you have good insurance.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Also even if you're not in a no-fault state, if you're hit or a wreck is caused by someone else and it's their fault in fact and reality, their insurance can still deny liability. If you have collision, your policy will cover you and then they'll try to recover from the other driver. may or may not succeed though. If you don't have collision, you're hosed until you go to court and then maybe you win maybe you don't.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think I've actually just realized that Akrapovic is mostly just brand image. They aren't that light, don't make the best power exhaust wise, and cost more than most other exhausts.

Maybe I'm smoking crack... or maybe I've been smoking crack and am now sober.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 15, 2013

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I think I've actually just realized that Akrapovic is mostly just brand image. They aren't that light, don't make the best power exhaust wise, and cost more than most other exhausts.

Maybe I'm smoking crack... or maybe I've been smoking crack and am now sober.

They are unique in that they tend to be FAR quieter than other aftermarket exhausts. The lighter and more powerful exhausts are just less baffled.

Akrapovic exhausts in many cases can actually be bought with cats making them 100% road legal which isn't an option in many cases.

Anyway, I'm not saying that they aren't overpriced - but there is a reason people buy them.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They're also fantastic looking.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

IMO the devil exhaust is the best looking Daytona can. And it sounds great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

They are unique in that they tend to be FAR quieter than other aftermarket exhausts. The lighter and more powerful exhausts are just less baffled.

Akrapovic exhausts in many cases can actually be bought with cats making them 100% road legal which isn't an option in many cases.

Anyway, I'm not saying that they aren't overpriced - but there is a reason people buy them.

This is pretty much it - in Europe the fact that they're TUV-marked makes them legally equivalent to CE-marked, which is important in countries like the UK where it's a legal requirement for an exhaust system to be CE or equivalent marked.

Having said that, MIVV and a few other manufacturers also make CE-marked (hence road-legal) exhausts that are much cheaper and (IMO) better-looking than the equivalent Akrapovic. Akrapovic just have the best brand recognition, not least because of their very long association with superbike racing.

(TUV is the German equivalent of something like the British Standards Institute or American Standards Association, a certification organisation with legally-binding testing standards - it's a legal requirement in Germany for any road vehicle component to be approved by TUV or an equivalent organisation. CE is a mark proving that a given product meets the appropriate European Directives; TUV marking on an automotive product means that it's automatically CE-marked too)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Their full systems tend to make pretty fantastic power and you can order individual replacement parts from the factory as supposedly they 3d blueprint every part. Slip ons are kind of generally useless for adding power, the gain potential there is really affected by the headers, collector design, cat location, exhaust restrictor valves, etc. I think oftentimes their slipons are just a small adaptation from their full systems, as generally the goal for them is just noise.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fortunately, for the 675 the slipon is the same as the full system parts number wise - the header just bolts on. An extra $750 new there.

I'm just annoyed that it was designed for the stock heat shielding so it sits about an inch low below the tail light; the midpipe interferes with my WP Competition rear shock and I'm going to have to do some... creative clearancing to get it all to work right.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Dunno what you folks are using for degreaser but my GOD does this stuff work well: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13406-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B001VXU7OE

I did zero scrubbing, just soaked everything with a spray bottle and rinsed it off with a hose

Wish I would have taken a 'before' picture of the bottom of the engine, lets just say I had no idea it was silver.

E: Sorry for the huge pics, do I need to shrink them?

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 16, 2013

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Dunno what you folks are using for degreaser but my GOD does this stuff work well: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13406-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B001VXU7OE

I did zero scrubbing, just soaked everything with a spray bottle and rinsed it off with a hose

Wish I would have taken a 'before' picture of the bottom of the engine, lets just say I had no idea it was silver.

E: Sorry for the huge pics, do I need to shrink them?

... I may have to give that a shot, but holy hell does Simple Green stink.

Think it would do terrible things to the chain or tires? I know it'll melt plastic if you let it sit too long (adventures in stripping paint off miniatures taught me that one).

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
The aircraft cleaner isn't like regular simple green at all; it's clear and doesn't smell like anything. The big perk for using it on a bike is that it's totally fine on plastics, paint, aluminum, and everything else you'd find on a plane.

E: "Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner" is apparently the same stuff as their "Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser" according to the internet
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php
http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_products_extreme.php

E2: I wouldn't soak my tires with the stuff but it should be fine in normal quantities. I lubed my chain right after I finished washing/waxing the rest of the bike

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 16, 2013

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I did some reading, and apparently Home Depot carries "Simple Green Pro HD" (which looks like Purple Power) which is rated in the same way. And it's probably cheaper to get a 14$ gallon jug of that stuff. Maybe I'll finally get the layers of grime out of the chain guard. And feel less iffy about it than hosing down parts with non chlorinated brake cleaner.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

DJ_Ferret posted:

I did some reading, and apparently Home Depot carries "Simple Green Pro HD" (which looks like Purple Power) which is rated in the same way. And it's probably cheaper to get a 14$ gallon jug of that stuff. Maybe I'll finally get the layers of grime out of the chain guard. And feel less iffy about it than hosing down parts with non chlorinated brake cleaner.

Good to know, I'll have to try that. I've always used the original simple green diluted, usually 1 part simple green to 3 or 4 parts water, and have never had a problem with plastics or aluminum. I don't let it sit overnight or anything crazy though.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Tomorrow I'm going to buy a jug of it and try cleaning off the grime that's probably been building in parts of my KLR since 2001. The previous owner didn't do much cleaning except superficially on it, and there's some caked in carbon and grease that I'll take before/after photos of.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're using the rougher stuff, make sure to use gloves, dunno about the Simple Green variants but Purple Power will eat your hands up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Started back toward Washington today, from Austin. Made it to Lubbock, found a hotel with a restaurant and I am excited to be lazy tonight.

Closest call I had today was when a buzzard flew between my wife and I. Wake up call! That would not have been fun to hit.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Started back toward Washington today, from Austin. Made it to Lubbock, found a hotel with a restaurant and I am excited to be lazy tonight.

Closest call I had today was when a buzzard flew between my wife and I. Wake up call! That would not have been fun to hit.

Of course you mean the buzzard . . . o.O

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, I gotta give that stuff a try.

Surprise surprise, my new commute sucks dogballs on the bike just as much as in the car. At least on the way in - home has tended to be nicer already.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My former contract manager has to adjust all 12 valves on his Daytona 955i. I guess all of them are too tight. He wants to commit murder. Apparently it's a pain in the rear end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

My former contract manager has to adjust all 12 valves on his Daytona 955i. I guess all of them are too tight. He wants to commit murder. Apparently it's a pain in the rear end.

Yup, gotta install the tool, pop each one out individually, measure, replace with the appropriate size, remove the tool, and move on to the next one.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Yup, gotta install the tool, pop each one out individually, measure, replace with the appropriate size, remove the tool, and move on to the next one.
Meaning he doesn't have to remove the cams? He should stop complaining.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Meaning he doesn't have to remove the cams? He should stop complaining.

When you have to do all 12, it's probably faster to pull the cams, I think it took me about ~5 minutes to do each one when I had to do it. I'd probably have gotten faster but I only had to do 2.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

DJ_Ferret posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a jug of it and try cleaning off the grime that's probably been building in parts of my KLR since 2001. The previous owner didn't do much cleaning except superficially on it, and there's some caked in carbon and grease that I'll take before/after photos of.

I did this thing today. Wasn't a magical grease remover, as I probably watered it down a bit much out of fear. It did remove a hell of a lot of grime, but it didn't sluice it off the way I'd hoped.

Additionally, I have crafted a kickstand extension for my freshly un-lowered KLR out of a LA Kings logo hockey puck (all Big 5 had in stock) using a dental scalpel and epoxy. I feel MacGyver as gently caress right now.

Edit: The puck is currently on my workbench, the epoxy will be used to attach it tomorrow. Adventures in unemployment means I have afternoons free to dick around with my motorcycle.

DJ_Ferret fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
Just took my 99 CB250 out for my first road ride (other than the trip to the mechanic yesterday for a blue slip)
Seemed like the clutch was slipping above 6-7k rpm or when accelerating hard uphill
Just went and checked the clutch cable tension adjuster (the one on the clutch lever) and it was wound all the way out, as in no thread was engaging at all
So i've wound it in enough so the clutch lever moves about 10-15mm before engaging
Here's hoping this has fixed it, I don't want to have to go and buy new clutch plates and springs already :(
Will also change the oil next week and see if that helps at all